What do you think it means for a show to be cheesy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leif3141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By leif3141
Member since 2010 • 133 Posts

A buddy of mine and I were having a discussion when he asked what new TV shows I was watching. One of them happens to be the last ship, and he started laughing. He just said the show looks bad and asked me what it was like. One of the things I told him was that it was kinda cheesy. He mentioning in passing that he'd seen previews for it during falling skies. And then I replied that is was cheesy in the same way falling skies was cheesy. Well, that got a visible look of frustration/anger on his part then he vehemently disagreed on why it isn't a cheesy show (falling skies). I couldn't understand how he thinks falling skies ISN'T cheesy. I'm not saying its a bad show. But it is kinda cheesy...

So this got me thinking - what do you think a cheesy show means? To me, its over dramatized material that doesn't just quite have the emotional impact that the writers think it will, combined with cliched plots/character interactions, maybe with a little bit of bad acting thrown in. And all this while writers are trying to NOT do this. Even with this description, I still like a lot of cheesy shows :). So this isn't just a knock on what's cheesy...

I do think when shows intentionally try to do this kinda stuff (Xena and Hercules come to mind), that it transitions from cheesy to campy.

What you think?