What do you think about veganism and vegetarianism?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 First_Descent
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

Hey everyone,

I was just curious what everyone thinks about people who are vegan/vegetarian. I have currently been a vegetarian for about a year and my gf a Vegan for about the same time. I was wondering what people think about it?

I am just curious because both of our families have no idea about it, and think it's absolutely stupid.

Also, I would like to inform people about it so everyone can stop being quick to judge and to understand what it's like.

Thanks for your time,

Cheers!

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#2 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

For health purposes? Well I cant really give an informed opinion as I havent studied the issue enough.

For moral purposes? An utter joke.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I'm all for it. I'm not a vegetarian myself but I very much would like to be, I just don't think I could handle it.
buldog300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 buldog300
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts
vegans can be vegans all the want, but as long as they don't try to stop me from eating meat or act in an eco-terrorist manner (look at these poor animals and be disgusted!) I don't have a problem.
killyou060606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killyou060606
Member since 2005 • 27091 Posts
That's something i never think about.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Don't mind if people do it for health reasons or don't like meat/animal products, but I'm not too fond of people who go ape **** every time an animal is killed for consumption.
Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

i totally understand not wanting to eat meat, im disgusted by meat most of the time. I still eat it thou. not eating dairy (veganism) is taking it a bit far in my mind, but to each their own

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I can tolerate vegetarians much more than I can vegans. Vegans come off as idiots to me. Vegetarians actually see the health benefits in using such a diet, but aren't scared of dairy or fish.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
I think being vegetarian/vegan is great, just don't try to force it on other people. It's the same deal with being Christian - having a religion is fine with me but do NOT try to convert me.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

As long as you're not trying to stop me from eating meat, then I'm all for it. It's your life decision and it's not affecting me, so it's all good lol.

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 First_Descent

Hey everyone, I totally understand what most of you's say... Some vegans are way to intense, and I would never push people upon the whole not eating meat. But the main thing is, not everyone is intense as people from PETA. I have noticed the great benefits of eating vegetarian and I have been a meat eater my whole life until realizing what they do to the animals. So thats why I changed.

raiden509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raiden509
Member since 2006 • 3181 Posts

For health purposes? Well I cant really give an informed opinion as I havent studied the issue enough.

For moral purposes? An utter joke.

Gambler_3
Beat me to it I was going to post this verbatim
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
As long as you don't turn into a crazy PETA person then I'm glad for you.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I don't care if people are vegans. I just don't want to be preached about it. I'd probably be vegan for health purposes but steaks are SOOOOO good.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Hey everyone, I totally understand what most of you's say... Some vegans are way to intense, and I would never push people upon the whole not eating meat. But the main thing is, not everyone is intense as people from PETA. I have noticed the great benefits of eating vegetarian and I have been a meat eater my whole life until realizing what they do to the animals. So thats why I changed.

First_Descent

This is why most people think vegetarians and vegans are nuts. For health purposes people understand, at least for Vegetarians.

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

i dont have an oppinion on it :P

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Both = total fail. Cow is here for us to eat, I say go for it. You haven't lived unless you've had a nice delicious steak!
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I don't care at all about what other people do, and that includes their diets. If you like it and it works for you, that's good. If it doesn't, that's fine too. However, the only thing that bugs me or rubs me the wrong way is the sort of preaching that can go along with vegetarianism/veganism. I don't like being preached to and I don't like it when people get elitist about it. That really goes for anything in life though. I considered being a vegetarian at one point in my life, but ultimately I did not take the plunge. I'm comfortable with my omnivorous diet.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I don't think vegetarians that eat fish should be considered vegetarians any more than a vegetarian that also eats pork or chicken. Fish is meat. Other than that, I don't think about it very much at all.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I don't think vegetarians that eat fish should be considered vegetarians.

LovePotionNo9
Those aren't vegetarians. They're called "pescetarians".
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i'm half way through it,already given up red meat but i'm afraid to drop meat completely for i know in order to gain necessary nutritious stuff i have to deal with a serious diet and i'm lazier than than.i support them both for moral reasons.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts

Grow some balls and eat a 20oz steak.

ultamite_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ultamite_gamer
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
I really want to go to Vegan academy and obtain Vegan powers. Those would be so sweet and would be totally worth becoming vegan over.
First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 First_Descent

I don't think vegetarians that eat fish should be considered vegetarians any more than a vegetarian that also eats pork or chicken. Fish is meat. Other than that, I don't think about it very much at all.

LovePotionNo9

I agree with you on that. As for me, I don't eat fish or pork or poultry, I find with vegans and vegetarianism that there is too much labels about each one. it drives me nuts! The only reason I prefer not to eat meat is due to factory farming. It's unbelievable the things they do to cows and other live stock. It's actually grotesque to see.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I have respect for vegetarians... I dunno how I could live though if I turned into one. >_>;
First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 First_Descent

i'm half way through it,already given up red meat but i'm afraid to drop meat completely for i know in order to gain necessary nutritious stuff i have to deal with a serious diet and i'm lazier than than.i support them both for moral reasons.

VaguelyTagged

See I was the same, but honestly, it's not that hard. Of course My gf and I cook every day, but I enjoy cooking so much that I don't consider it a chore. Also, for nutrition, there are so many alternatives that takes amazing, even better than being a carnivore. Trust me, All I eat now is vegan meals, with the exception of cheese... I love cheese way to much to give it up. But I do not drink milk for the same reason has meat, they induce cows with to many chemical that are harmful for them and to us. So, I drink almond milk... and it is damn good!

So, for nutrition, just look into some books to see what you need. It's really not that hard and there are many sites to help you out and put you on the path that best suites you and your lifestyle.

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 First_Descent

I have respect for vegetarians... I dunno how I could live though if I turned into one. >_>;Aquat1cF1sh

lol.. I use to love hamburgers, but man, there are some vegeburgers that tastes exactly the same.. i suggest you go to Harvey's and try one, you wont be able to tell the difference! lol

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
I don't care what people eat as long as they don't try to be all high and mighty about it and put down people who like to eat meat
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
It's really encouraged in our church for health reasons so alot of my friends are either vegetarians or vegans but it's not something they preach about. Not once have i been asked to become a vegetarian. Im really not that attached to meat and don't necessarily eat it regularly.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

All I eat now is vegan meals, with the exception of cheese... I love cheese way to much to give it up. But I do not drink milk for the same reason has meat, they induce cows with to many chemical that are harmful for them and to us.First_Descent

So you won't drink milk because of how the cows are treated, but you still eat cheese, which is made from that same milk? Yeah, that's consistent.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

First_Descent

See I was the same, but honestly, it's not that hard. Of course My gf and I cook every day, but I enjoy cooking so much that I don't consider it a chore. Also, for nutrition, there are so many alternatives that takes amazing, even better than being a carnivore. Trust me, All I eat now is vegan meals, with the exception of cheese... I love cheese way to much to give it up. But I do not drink milk for the same reason has meat, they induce cows with to many chemical that are harmful for them and to us. So, I drink almond milk... and it is damn good!

So, for nutrition, just look into some books to see what you need. It's really not that hard and there are many sites to help you out and put you on the path that best suites you and your lifestyle.

the problem is i really can't imagine myself cooking,so my mom is the one who should make me something besides her regular work,and i don't really want to add anything to her problems.*sigh*
fooZar777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fooZar777
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts

I think it's really lame when they do it for moral purposes.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts

I think it's really lame when they do it for moral purposes.

fooZar777

I agree but on what basis is it moral? A cow is walking food, just like humans when you think about it. Hmmm . . .

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

I don't care what people eat as long as they don't try to be all high and mighty about it and put down people who like to eat meattestfactor888

I know what you mean.
If people want to celebrate something, they are free to do so. Just don't act high and mighty about it if you don't don't take an interest in it.

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
If your vegetarian, good for you. But I don't care. Humans can eat meat and I exercise that ability.
First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 First_Descent

[QUOTE="First_Descent"]

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

VaguelyTagged

the problem is i really can't imagine myself cooking,so my mom is the one who should make me something besides her regular work,and i don't really want to add anything to her problems.*sigh*

yah, I hear what you mean, my family would never do something like that. They would just make their own food. But you can always do a one night vege thing with the fam. if you know what I mean. I love cooking, it's really not that hard to do, try it out and you may surprise yourself. lol

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I've never understood becoming a vegetarian/vegan based on moral grounds. You oppose their living conditions, OK. Do you wear Nikes? Levis?Are you against slave labor? Just curious.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'm fine with them as long they shut up about their vegan ism.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Sure, it's fine. There are way more obnoxious meat-eaters than there are obnoxious vegetarians anyways.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i think is dumb, for health purposes? body needs meat and meat replacements are not enough. morals? enjoying the suffering of animals is one thing, i hope the people who tortures animals die crushed under a car, but otherwise is ok, is the food chain, animals eat other animals to survive, what im trying to say is i agree with your family is incredibly stupid to be a vegetarian

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Seems kind of pointless to me, unless you adhere to it for religious or spiritual reasons. I mean, it's not necessarily better for your health to cut meat out of your diet, especially if you eat lean meat. And you personally refusing to eat meat isn't going to stop cruelty to animals either. And since animals like cows and chickens are dumber than mud anyway, there's really no point to worrying about how they feel before they're slaughtered.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

I think they're both stupid, meat is much easier to digest, and it's good for you. No matter how or what you eat, you can end up fat and sick... well, I'm not sure I've ever seen a fat vegan, probably just 'cause they're unhealthy and can't gain the weight :D

If humans were meant to eat only plants, we'd probably have a working appendix, a pot belly.. and very smelly (herbivores are SMELLY! due to bacteria being used to break down the hard to digest plant bits)

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 First_Descent

i think is dumb, for health purposes? body needs meat and meat replacements are not enough. morals? enjoying the suffering of animals is one thing, i hope the people who tortures animals die crushed under a car, but otherwise is ok, is the food chain, animals eat other animals to survive, what im trying to say is i agree with your family is incredibly stupid to be a vegetarian

Krelian-co

This is extremely untrue, and why most people don't turn to become vegetarian. People who are vegetarian are the healthiest people in the world. Look at Japan, they don't eat meat, diary and have the highest expectancy rate out of all the countries. So you are mistaken. As for the food chain, I understand where this is coming from, but other animals don't entrap, torture, induce chemicals and make them suffer on a daily basis. Go hunting, that's better, but torture like factory farming. so, once again. There is a difference.

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 First_Descent

I think they're both stupid, meat is much easier to digest, and it's good for you. No matter how or what you eat, you can end up fat and sick... well, I'm not sure I've ever seen a fat vegan, probably just 'cause they're unhealthy and can't gain the weight :D

If humans were meant to eat only plants, we'd have a working appendix, we'd probably have a pot belly too... and very smelly (herbivores are SMELLY! due to bacteria being used to break down the hard to digest plant bits)

Inconsistancy

actually the appendix was used to digest bones supposedly, not for digesting plants.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

If humans were meant to eat only plants, we'd have a working appendix, we'd probably have a pot belly too... and very smelly (herbivores are SMELLY! due to bacteria being used to break down the hard to digest plant bits)

First_Descent

actually the appendix was used to digest bones supposedly, not for digesting plants.

"The appendix is involved in the breakdown of the cellulose in such plants as lettuce, celery and other extremely low nutrient, high fiber plants. " Wat
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

This is extremely untrue, and why most people don't turn to become vegetarian. People who are vegetarian are the healthiest people in the world. Look at Japan, they don't eat meat, diary and have the highest expectancy rate out of all the countries. So you are mistaken. As for the food chain, I understand where this is coming from, but other animals don't entrap, torture, induce chemicals and make them suffer on a daily basis. Go hunting, that's better, but torture like factory farming. so, once again. There is a difference.

First_Descent

The Japanese eat plenty of meat, especially fish. They also smoke like hell, which we know for a fact is unhealthy, so using them as a paragon of good habits is silly.

Merranvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Merranvo
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

I think people should learn to think for themselves.

First page is covered with "Stop trying to turn me vegan." Given that vegan's aren't exactly a majority, I question how many of those people ever even spoke to a vegan. What it sounds like is that someone decided that vegans are "wierd" or "uncool" and as such everyone has developed this "cootie" attitude about them. Not all vegans are zealots (nor am I a vegan, but the core seems simple enough to understand).

Veganism is mostly just the realization that humans are arrogant fools who achieved "superiority" by circumstance alone.

We've all seen those "Man gets stranded and survives" films... but they're hardly factual. While most of you all might attempt to "imitate" what you've seen... there is a fair likelihood that you lack the critical knowledge to actually achieve it. Though they say "necessity is the mother of invention" it is not the mother of intellect. Though you might know of the bow; that does not mean that you can discover how to properly build one.

The "proverbial discovery of fire" is the act that contributes to our established "superiority".

What Veganism is about is a simple question "What if man had not mastered the flame?" and the assumption that some other form would have achieved superiority over ourselves. Furthering the idea that "what if we made good fodder for cows".

Unfortunately, people are so caught up in their egotistical nature that such a thought is inconcievable and hence they view this simple explaination as utter fanaticism and stupidity. Aww, tried and failed.

First_Descent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 First_Descent

[QUOTE="First_Descent"]

metroidfood

The Japanese eat plenty of meat, especially fish. They also smoke like hell, which we know for a fact is unhealthy, so using them as a paragon of good habits is silly.

thats true I had jumped the gun on the fish department since this live by the ocean, but the fact is that they eat more fish, with extremely low to non red meat consumption.