What do you do for a living? Budgets?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bishop1310 (888 posts) -

I'm going to assume everyone here is a gamer of some sort.. So outside of the hobby what does everyone do for a living? Do you budget your video games purchases?

I'll go first.

Currently I am an accountant, first year out of College. I do IT stuff on the side and I'm starting some amateur game programming which I believe I will be going back to school for. I try to make smart decisions when buying games. I often use steam sales as my way to get games I really want and to save while doing it. I don't need something when it first comes out. So yeah I have a really tight gaming budget.

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46461 posts) -

Senior sales at sporting goods store selling sporting goods and sporting goods accessories. It's a fancy way of saying sports retail. :P

#3 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Senior sales at sporting goods store selling sporting goods and sporting goods accessories. It's a fancy way of saying sports retail. :P

Read like like Hank Hill somewhat.

#4 Posted by Pirate700 (46461 posts) -

@Pirate700 said:

That was the point.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@Pirate700 said:

That was the point.

Oh, I thought you honestly wanted to sound fancy >.>

#6 Posted by GoogleAndroid (139 posts) -

I'm in college. My parents own West Penn Billiards, so when I go home on weekends and breaks, I help out and sell. When I'm at school, I maintain the website(and am currently working on a total redesign), answer all of our emails, and do the ordering.

#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46461 posts) -

I'm in college. My parents own West Penn Billiards, so when I go home on weekends and breaks, I help out and sell. When I'm at school, I maintain the website(and am currently working on a total redesign), answer all of our emails, and do the ordering.

That's awesome. I always wanted be part of the family business (if we had one).

#8 Posted by GoogleAndroid (139 posts) -

@googleandroid said:

That's awesome. I always wanted be part of the family business (if we had one).

Yeah it is. They only have a few employees, so everyone is very close. The business is actually where my parents met. My dad was the head mechanic and my mom was the head accountant. When they got married and my mom found out she was pregnant with me, they both quit and my dad got a job elsewhere. Years later, my mom was asked to come back. While she was working, the old owner was getting ready to retire, and my dad lost his job. So they bought the business from him. It's been 2.5 years, and it's going well. We sell a few hundred pool tables a year, plus everything else, so my parent's investment is paying off.

#9 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

I started Uni studying Sports Science in September. I also work part-time in a local bar.

#10 Posted by Namgis (3570 posts) -

Greens keeper at a private golf course. Been in the industry for 13 years now. My current spot is a union gig and is nice on the wallet. It keeps me in good shape and I'm outside, so no complaints. I also own my own web development/graphic design firm that keeps me busy during my seasonal layoff.

I don't really have a budget for games. If I see something I'm interested in at a price I like, I pick it up. Haven't purchased one in some time though. Recently discovered another amazing free game rental place not 10 minutes from my home. The library's have an abundance of free games across several platforms.

#11 Posted by GalvatronType_R (1878 posts) -

I have a trust fund. Whatever I need, I either use my AMEX Black Card to buy or call my parents to buy for me.

I've never really worked a day in my life.

#12 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

I've been mooching off my parents for the past 16 months unfortunately. I also live on a real tight budget as I try not to get too comfortable and not to burden my parents too much.

I like the senior you threw in there :P

#13 Edited by deeliman (2238 posts) -

I work at a supermarket, but since I'm still a teen I can happily spend all my money on stupid/useless stuff without ever having to worry about a budget.

#14 Edited by themajormayor (25621 posts) -
#15 Edited by -TheSecondSign- (9155 posts) -

Military.

I save all per diem and try to put a little bit away each paycheck but I don't often do that.

I do save my per diem though.

#16 Edited by playmynutz (5921 posts) -

Started out with an O.Z. end up riding fo' deep

#17 Edited by Iszdope (9401 posts) -

Record industry.

Money is shite, but good people.

#18 Posted by sukraj (21604 posts) -

Unemployed

#19 Edited by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

electrical/computer engineer. currently test SSDs for a living. as far as gaming goes i do not do much lately. maybe buy 2-4 games a year. i don't really have a budget for them since it is so few and i make decent money at work

#20 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Selling insurance. Decent wages. Gaming is lower on my budget due to higher priorities.

#21 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

PC game sales (steam, amazon, GOG, etc.) can be pretty amazing

#22 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

I work Shipping and Receiving at a local Truck Parts and Service dealership. I'm not really on a budget because I'm a single guy sharing rent and currently making a little under 40k a year. I put money into savings without even trying. Although I don't play nearly as many video games as I used to, I haven't made any significant game purchases in a while.

#23 Posted by GamingTitan (495 posts) -

real estate agent. My income is anywhere from about 50k to 100k. I still budget for games. Hell, I budget for everything tbh~

#24 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20796 posts) -

Military. Never really had a budget.

#25 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Teach calculus, physics, and also coach cross country and track. Wife teaches Pre-K so we do ok.

#26 Posted by GTA_dude (18348 posts) -

I dont play video games, so they are not part of my budget. But car parts and tools are.

I work for Amazon.com while being a ASU student. In my free time I work on one of my cars

#27 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2121 posts) -

Nothing.

I live in the basement of my parents house but i do have a small monthly income.My grandmother left me her old apartment which i rented.I use that money on games/consoles and pc hardware.

#28 Posted by nait2k4 (79 posts) -

Security Consultant, mostly Govt contracts. Don't have a budget for gaming, but don't really buy a lot of full priced games - mostly 2nd hand (its like piracy but more expensive) and Steam/GOG sale games. Will pick up a new release console game maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

#29 Edited by PiscesChick93 (10687 posts) -

I work at McDonalds

#30 Posted by PSP107 (11574 posts) -

Selling insurance.

This but I'm going to do it on the side now as look into other industry.

#31 Edited by MirkoS77 (6846 posts) -

I have a chronic illness that requires chronic chemo weekly. It makes me very miserable Mon-Wed. I have every third week off to let my blood count and strength recover. So my job is basically going through constant chemo. My income is $1K/month SSI. I'm usually either so tired or miserable most of the time during the week that holding down any type of job is nigh impossible, and school is also hard as the majority of class schedules is early in the week.

I'd much rather be healthy and work. God I'd much rather be. I'm trying to find something that will allow me to support myself from home to give me some independence from my parents but have yet to find something.

#32 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

Master's degree studeeeeeent!

I've learned that grass is rather edible and catching rainwater in buckets is a cool way to get free water!

#33 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (761 posts) -

Med. student.

Work as a CSA for an airline on weekends.

#34 Edited by TheFlush (5412 posts) -

I work as the art director at an online agency, it pays quite well.
My boyfriend also has a nice job and we don't have children, so we don't really have to worry about money.

#35 Edited by -Rhett81- (3552 posts) -

I've been doing IT support for the last 10 years. It's a nice excuse to "test" new technology. ;)

#36 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7935 posts) -

@MirkoS77: my wife gets SSI as well. She has cerebal palsey and is College graduate get 700a month SSI benefit but wants off system really bad. No job seems to want to pay her enough or even full time to afford even just her student loans. I guess that's just her field (social service) they want degrees but don't pay crap.

Myself I work in lab at pipe mill for oil and natural gas. I make good money and I spend a lot on games but still look for deals as much as I can (cheapassgamer.com)

#37 Edited by MirkoS77 (6846 posts) -

@MirkoS77: my wife gets SSI as well. She has cerebal palsey and is College graduate get 700a month SSI benefit but wants off system really bad. No job seems to want to pay her enough or even full time to afford even just her student loans. I guess that's just her field (social service) they want degrees but don't pay crap.

Myself I work in lab at pipe mill for oil and natural gas. I make good money and I spend a lot on games but still look for deals as much as I can (cheapassgamer.com)

Very sorry to hear that about your wife? She doing alright? It's hard to get a job when disabled. The law says they can't discriminate, but when the hell do employers come out and say so? They don't need to give reasons for not hiring at all.

SSI is nice but I feel like a leech much of the time even though I know I'm justified in getting it. It has a heavy social stigma.

#38 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7935 posts) -

@MirkoS77: she is fine but in a wheelchair. She has had many interviews but nobody hires her. She graduated with honors and had 2 internships. Sometimes it seems like because her field (social service) they at her more like a client than a potential employee.

#39 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@GTA_dude said:

I dont play video games, so they are not part of my budget. But car parts and tools are.

I work for Amazon.com while being a ASU student. In my free time I work on one of my cars

And yet you are posting on the message board of a video game website

#40 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15753 posts) -

Meteorology. I'm also retired military with VA disability. I also have a house in AZ that I'm currently renting out. That's four revenue streams. Budget? I don't know. Every cent goes to the wife even though she has her own job and has a family business overseas.....just a fact of married life.

#41 Posted by KeepClearx (59 posts) -

I don't work I have enough money to last me a life time