What came first: the Atheist or the Believer ???

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

Forget about the chicken or the egg, this question is more detrimental

what do you think came first?

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Jay Leno.

GrungeLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GrungeLegend
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts
The Egg.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#4 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I don't understand... believer?

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Jay Leno.

carrot-cake
Aye, without Leno and the divinity of his majestic chin, we shan't exist.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Atheist probably. It has to be the world's oldest faith/belief/world view that is still currently "practiced."
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
The atheist.
AsinineZomg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AsinineZomg
Member since 2006 • 709 Posts

Trying waaaaaaaay too hard with this thread.

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

that totally depends on what history of man's origins you take. A believer (of almost any religion) will say the believer because that is what their religion teaches. Like in the Bible, Adam believed in God first, not too familiar with other texts but I think the concept is usually similar. Atheists will of course say the atheist came first, and using their version of history to back that up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
The atheist for sure, though I couldn't quite consider it conscious atheism at its conception.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
People way back when we were being eaten by things all the time probably didn't really give two craps about where the world came from or where you go when you die. They were probably a bit more concerned with where's my next meal coming from and whos stomach you end up in when you die.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I say atheist, we are not born believing. Belief is something that is institutionalized, and it depends on where and to whom you are born to.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

that totally depends on what history of man's origins you take. A believer (of almost any religion) will say the believer because that is what their religion teaches. Like in the Bible, Adam believed in God first, not too familiar with other texts but I think the concept is usually similar. Atheists will of course say the atheist came first, and using their version of history to back that up.

bachilders
Pretty much this. I of course hold to the view that Adam and Eve were the first humans so therefore the believer came first. Not sure where this thread is trying to go.
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Jay Leno.

BreakTheseLinks

but but.... O'Brien Hair > Leno Chin

:cry:

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"][QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Jay Leno.

_R34LiTY_

Nothing beats the chin. Come on now, lets be realistic here.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

[QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"][QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Jay Leno.

_R34LiTY_

Put Conan's hair on Leno's chin...what do you get? Chuck Norris.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
The agnostic....
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

bachilders

But he was taught to believe in God, after his creation. So he was created an atheist first.:P

ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

Who came first? He with less endurance.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Well obviously the believers are going to say Adam came first, and the Athiests will say monkeys who didn't even consider the concept of God game first.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

How could anybody vote Believer? Babies aren't born thinking god exists and the first organisms on this planet weren't even smart enough to comprehend a god. Of course the Atheist came first, how could you even question something like that?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#23 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
The believing chicken.
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ColonelWilks

How could anybody vote Believer? Babies aren't born thinking god exists and the first organisms on this planet weren't even smart enough to comprehend a god. Of course the Atheist came first, how could you even question something like that?

XileLord
The first organisms on this planet weren't smart enough to contemplate the lack of a God either.
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

Atheist because you don't know about any religion when you're born.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

idunno but I cant help but imagine early man stumbling across fire and putting up his hands and going "DONE! I'm done, im tired of thinking...some big man in the sky made this. End of story"

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidSnake35

idunno but I cant help but imagine early man stumbling across fire and putting up his hands and going "DONE! I'm done, im tired of thinking...some big man in the sky made this. End of story"

mrbojangles25
well I think it's likely that whoever first came up with the idea of God was a believer. I doubt they were merely considering the possibility in a philosophical manner. So, yeah, believers came before non-believers, who responded to the believer's idea of God.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="XileLord"]

ColonelWilks

The first organisms on this planet weren't smart enough to contemplate the lack of a God either.

Not believing in something is the default position. You don't believe anything unless you are told something about it first, or find out about it on your own.

ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ColonelWilks

[QUOTE="ColonelWilks"][QUOTE="XileLord"]

XileLord

Not believing in something is the default position. You don't believe anything unless you are told something about it first, or find out about it on your own.

The single-celled organisms that sloshed out of the primordial soup weren't complex enough to believe or not believe anything.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="ColonelWilks"][QUOTE="XileLord"]

XileLord

Atheism is a positive belief that God doesn't exist, I think. Lacking a belief completely would be agnostic.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

As Atheism is the lack of belief in a god, and a belief in a god would have to have been developed after the acquisition of sufficient human mental faculties, I'd think it's a safe bet that the earliest humans lacked a belief in a god.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

SolidSnake35

well I think it's likely that whoever first came up with the idea of God was a believer. I doubt they were merely considering the possibility in a philosophical manner. So, yeah, believers came before non-believers, who responded to the believer's idea of God.

interesting.

my thought is that God started off as a theory that people liked enough to make popular. Faith requires so little effort and explains so much, it eases an incredible amount of burden off potentially-troubled people. Especially leaders. Tribe comes up to Chieftan and asks "Why no rain, Og Tog?" and Chieftan Og Tog says "Ummm...God. You pissed him off. Go sacrifice someone" Its far easier to admit that you pissed off some invisible man in the sky than to accept the fact that, well, youre suffering through a drought and you and everyone you know is going to die. it offers hope when there should be none and asks for nothing in return (well, maybe a sacrificial virgin here and there)

*btw, before anyone gets pissed, I am talking about earily beliefs in God and Gods, not Christianity or modern religion.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

You might as well ask who believes in God. The believer. ;)

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#34 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Well believer, even the cavemen believed in a bigger power. (Fire freaked them out.)
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ColonelWilks
Well believer, even the cavemen believed in a bigger power. (Fire freaked them out.) bbkkristian
Fire freaks my dog out too, no wonder she's started bowing towards Mecca.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

As Atheism is the lack of belief in a god, and a belief in a god would have to have been developed after the acquisition of sufficient human mental faculties, I'd think it's a safe bet that the earliest humans lacked a belief in a god.

Barbariser

I agree with this mostly, but I disagree with labeling atheism as such. I think atheism is a conscious denial of the existence of god, not simply a lack of belief in one, and therefore the believer came first. First humans evolved from a point where they didn't believe in god because of their mental capcity (or lack thereof), to a point where they felt they needed to explain their existence through stories of gods (believer), and then to a point where they refuted such stories (atheists).

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
Well Adam didn't really need to believe at all since he talked to god directly, so I suppose that makes this a trick question then?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#38 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Well believer, even the cavemen believed in a bigger power. (Fire freaked them out.) ColonelWilks

Gotta remember whose the intelligent species. Dogs or Humans?
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

theone86

I agree with this mostly, but I disagree with labeling atheism as such. I think atheism is a conscious denial of the existence of god, not simply a lack of belief in one, and therefore the believer came first. First humans evolved from a point where they didn't believe in god because of their mental capcity (or lack thereof), to a point where they felt they needed to explain their existence through stories of gods (believer), and then to a point where they refuted such stories (atheists).

If theist means "belief in god" then adding the prefix "a" to it would hence alter its definition to "no belief in god". I don't know what kind of lexical gymnastics you'd have to perform to switch that to "belief that god does not exist".

ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ColonelWilks
[QUOTE="ColonelWilks"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Well believer, even the cavemen believed in a bigger power. (Fire freaked them out.) bbkkristian

Gotta remember whose the intelligent species. Dogs or Humans?

We're smart, but not smart enough to stray from baseless assumptions about the caveman's response to fire.
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Well actually, it's quite possible Adam didn't know about God for a while.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
The agnostic, then they each evolved from it.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

Barbariser

If theist means "belief in god" then adding the prefix "a" to it would hence alter its definition to "no belief in god". I don't know what kind of lexical gymnastics you'd have to perform to switch that to "belief that god does not exist".

My point is that there is a distinct difference between one who lacks a belief in god and one who has arrived at the conclusion that there is no god. One is simply a lack of belief that can be brought about by a mind that cannot comprehend the idea of god, a mind that has never been exposed to the idea of god, or a number of different situations ranging from happenstance to an intellectual journey. Frankly,I think it's insulting to people who fall into the latter category to lump them in with people who fall into the former. I believe that atheism deserves just as much respect as any other belief system, and that terming it as you do serves to hinder that cause. You can wallow in semantics as much as you please, but as I stated I believe atheism to be not simply a lack of belief in a god but a conscious denial of the existence of a god. If you want to get really technical, both theism and atheism describe much more than a simple belief or non-belief, as anyone with the cognitive abilites to self-apply the terms is obviously on a high enough level that their position requires at least some conscious thought. The generic believer and non-believer are far more suited to cover one who does or does not believe in a god.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178881 Posts
Can you actually be an atheist if there isn't the opposing belief to not believe?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Can you actually be an atheist if there isn't the opposing belief to not believe?LJS9502_basic
I suppose it depends on how you define an atheist. If you define an atheist as someone who rejects or refuses religion (and to do so, must be able to conceptualise them), then no. If you define an atheist as someone who has no belief in a deity (and thus, can lack belief whether they've heard of a god or gods or not), then yes.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
The atheist for sure, though I couldn't quite consider it conscious atheism at its conception. t3hrubikscube
This.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can you actually be an atheist if there isn't the opposing belief to not believe?Danm_999
I suppose it depends on how you define an atheist. If you define an atheist as someone who rejects or refuses religion (and to do so, must be able to conceptualise them), then no. If you define an atheist as someone who has no belief in a deity (and thus, can lack belief whether they've heard of a god or gods or not), then yes.

But you have to have the existence in the concept for someone to have the non belief. And actually....historically atheists did come second.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]The atheist for sure, though I couldn't quite consider it conscious atheism at its conception. l4dak47
This.

Can't work that way. One is neither one nor the other without the knowledge of belief sets.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can you actually be an atheist if there isn't the opposing belief to not believe?LJS9502_basic

But you have to have the existence in the concept for someone to have the non belief. And actually....historically atheists did come second.

Yes, if 'non-belief' is how you define atheism. But, as I said, atheism is often also defined as 'lack of belief'. And to lack a belief in a concept, that concept does not need to exist.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#50 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
Unsurprisingly - what theone86 said.