What are your thoughts on this video about Evolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

First off, I will say that I do agree with the statement that most people who don't believe in Evolution simply don't understand it. However, I also think that Hank (the guy in the video) does make some arrogant comments that are a bit of a put-off. With that out of the way, I will get down to the meat of the video.

In general, I think he explained Evolution in a pretty simple and easy-to-understand way, but he also didn't quite address certain holes that I have often observed in the theory of Evolution, the biggest of which being the mystery (to me) of what purpose ocean life would have to come onto land. There is global disaster of course, such as most of the world water drying up, forcing sea creatures to evolve onto land.... such catastrophic events have been theorized to have occurred at least once.

I consider myself a Skeptical-Evolutionist. I "believe" in Evolution, but there are things that I can't quite explain about it, or am simply ignorant of.

Anyway, what are your thoughts OT?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Haven't time to watch the video ATM but...

@Kevlar101 said:
the biggest of which being the mystery (to me) of what purpose ocean life would have to come onto land.

...less competition for resources.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Kevlar101: A theory in science isn't a theory like you and me will have a theory about. A theory is based on facts and observation and it is the highest form in physics. The reason for animals evolved to be on land is because when it get's too crowded or even too much competition, species adapt and move in to new areas. Fish and similar biological creatures started to migrate to land. It's as simple to that.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Their is no such thing as believing or not believing in Evolution. You either understand the reality of it, or you are ignorant of it. One of the two.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@Randolph said:

Their is no such thing as believing or not believing in Evolution. You either understand the reality of it, or you are ignorant of it. One of the two.

exactly. Evolution isn't a belief it's an actual thing that happened and is still happening. Saying you don't believe in evolution just means you are an idiot. You might as well argue that gravity doesn't exist as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Randolph said:

Very well put. Hell micro evolutions have been observed and even proven. Is it so hard to think that this could have happened over millions, and millions of years? Hell humans have grown in size the last millenia. That's well documented aswell

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

no animal just decided to walk on land one day.

the ones that used their fins to move through tangled brushy underwater areas the best were the ones that had an advantage and the ones that mutated fins that were better adapted to that situation had an advantage.

it took millions of years just to get an animal that had leg like fins and even then it never left the water.

and a similar process is still going as evidenced by this recently discovered dolphin. (even though technically this dolphin has had a gene turned on that is a throwback to the days when dolphins were land animals)

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kevlar101

@Riverwolf007 said:

the ones that used their fins to move through tangled brushy underwater areas the best were the ones that had an advantage and the ones that mutated fins that were better adapted to that situation had an advantage.

it took millions of years just to get an animal that had leg like fins and even then it never left the water.

and a similar process is still going as evidenced by this recently discovered dolphin. (even though technically this dolphin has had a gene turned on that is a throwback to the days when dolphins were land animals)

That is not what Evolutionists even believe happened. See? Lack of understanding.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

That is not what Evolutionists even believe happened. See? Lack of understanding.

???

evolutionists believe animals got up one morning and decided to walk on land?

really?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Riverwolf007

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

i guess i am not an evolutionist.

i must be a naturalist selectionist.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

BEATS the POOF(creationism) theory.

Kudos to UK banning that garbage in their public schools

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kevlar101

@Riverwolf007 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

Riverwolf007 implied in his post that the way Evolution works is that one day, the ocean life just randomly decided to come onto land, and that individual fish just decided to grow legs for themselves...all within one generation. That is what I got from his post. I am sorry if I am mistaken.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

Riverwolf007 implied in his post that the way Evolution works is that one day, the ocean life just randomly decided to come onto land, and that individual fish just decided to grow legs for themselves...all within one generation. That is what I got from his post. I am sorry if I am mistaken.

dude.

the 1st thing i put in was "no animal just decided to walk on land one day."

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kevlar101

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

dude.

Yeah so I read your post wrong, so what? I made a mistake.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

dude.

...still think you have a bit of evolving to do yourself.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

they didn't ban it

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@lostrib said:

@k2theswiss said:

they didn't ban it

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/06/18/Teaching-creationism-as-scientifically-valid-now-banned-in-all-UK-public-schools/5631403128922/

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

@k2theswiss said:

@lostrib said:

@k2theswiss said:

they didn't ban it

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/06/18/Teaching-creationism-as-scientifically-valid-now-banned-in-all-UK-public-schools/5631403128922/

they only banned it being taught as science, it can still be taught at school

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kevlar101

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Kevlar101 said:

WTF?

dude.

I read his post wrong, so what? Everybody makes mistakes.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lostrib

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Well, if you're going to criticize someone for lack of understanding, you should probably double check you're right

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kevlar101

@lostrib said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Well, if you're going to criticize someone for lack of understanding, you should probably double check you're right

Oh just shut up.

I admitted that I was wrong, so stop badgering me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@lostrib said:

@k2theswiss said:

@lostrib said:

@k2theswiss said:

they didn't ban it

they only banned it being taught as science, it can still be taught at school

It is firmly bound to RS (religious studies) here and is never linked with science nor proposed as a legitimate scientific theory and it's been that way in the mainstream forms of schooling for years, this was just tying up in some of the different forms of schools we have now. I'm pretty happy with that, no problem with teaching what different people believe as long as it sits in the relevant subject.

@Kevlar101 said:

First off, I will say that I do agree with the statement that most people who don't believe in Evolution simply don't understand it. However, I also think that Hank (the guy in the video) does make some arrogant comments that are a bit of a put-off. With that out of the way, I will get down to the meat of the video.

In general, I think he explained Evolution in a pretty simple and easy-to-understand way, but he also didn't quite address certain holes that I have often observed in the theory of Evolution, the biggest of which being the mystery (to me) of what purpose ocean life would have to come onto land. There is global disaster of course, such as most of the world water drying up, forcing sea creatures to evolve onto land.... such catastrophic events have been theorized to have occurred at least once.

I consider myself a Skeptical-Evolutionist. I "believe" in Evolution, but there are things that I can't quite explain about it, or am simply ignorant of.

Anyway, what are your thoughts OT?

I'd look up niches in biology, this explains your issue. Abundance of resources, protection from predators or an alteration giving a competitive advantage are the main reasons why animals move habitats. The same applies from the move from sea to land though you've got to consider all the inbetween, all the many species that evolved to live in the shallows initially and then moved to land and that all this was accomplished over an amount of time that's really quite hard to comprehend plus the right conditions on land in terms of the make up of the atmosphere.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@lostrib said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Oh just shut up.

Kevlar be like...

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kevlar101

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@lostrib said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Oh just shut up.

Kevlar be like...

I'm actually quite flattered ^-^

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

One should not see evolution as something to "believe" in. Either you can view the observed and recorded evidence that has been collected over the past two centuries, and are capable of reading and understanding the vast array of lifetimes devoted to the understanding of those facts (i.e. scientific papers), and can draw the conclusion that evolution is the only possible way to explain that evidence... or you can sit back, put your fingers in your ears, and yell "LALALAI'MNOTLISTENINGLALALA".

Evolution is the single-most well-supported and substantiated scientific theory to date in the world of science (being at a marcoscopic scale, we can actually observe the process taking place). We know more about the process of evolution than we know about gravity. Don't believe in it, UNDERSTAND it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Haha the gieco caveman.

Evolution is real as devolution.

I believe devolution has humanity stumpted at the moment so we are not evolving into the next level any time soon.

Telepathic communication seems like a next level evolution. A forgotten trait we have devolved into reccessive.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@playmynutz said:

Haha the gieco caveman.

Evolution is real as devolution.

I believe devolution has humanity stumpted at the moment so we are not evolving into the next level any time soon.

Telepathic communication seems like a next level evolution. A forgotten trait we have devolved into reccessive.

When was telepathic communication a regular trait? Also, how do you know that telepathy is something humans are capable of doing?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

peanut butter disproves evolution, checkmate silly darwinists!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

???

evolutionists believe animals got up one morning and decided to walk on land?

really?

There is no such thing as an evolutionist. They're called biologists, and all of biology hinges on evolutionary theory. The moment someone uses this term is the moment I deem them a retard.

Understanding evolution doesn't make you a biologist any more than knowing 2+2=4 makes you a mathematician.

There is no word for people who believe in evolution. Just like there's no word for people who believe in gravity.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Loading Video...

did you post this video as a joke, or to troll ?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox

@thehig1 said:

@wis3boi said:

Loading Video...

Knowing him, both.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@foxhound_fox: yeah, im not even going to comment on the stupidity of that video

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kevlar101

@thehig1 said:

@wis3boi said:

Loading Video...

As I reached the conclusion of that video, I heard a loud pop in my head, which I can only assume was the sound of billions of brain cells being killed off by the stupidity portrayed in the video.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@TheFlush: The quantum theory explains all magic. Telepathy falls under quantum entanglement. Yes, before the tower of babel, humans communicated telepathically.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@thehig1 said:

@wis3boi said:

As I reached the conclusion of that video, I heard a loud pop in my head, which I can only assume was the sound of billions of brain cells being killed off by the stupidity portrayed in the video.

Im glad you have finally seen the light of our lord and savior Peter Pan peanut butter

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lostrib

@wis3boi said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@thehig1 said:

@wis3boi said:

Im glad you have finally seen the light of our lord and savior Peter Pan peanut butter

It's all about the Banana! Thanks Kirk Cameron

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@playmynutz said:

@TheFlush: The quantum theory explains all magic. Telepathy falls under quantum entanglement. Yes, before the tower of babel, humans communicated telepathically.

While highly interesting, quantum theory hasn't really been grounded yet. The story of the tower of babel is highly dubious at best.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

One should not see evolution as something to "believe" in. Either you can view the observed and recorded evidence that has been collected over the past two centuries, and are capable of reading and understanding the vast array of lifetimes devoted to the understanding of those facts (i.e. scientific papers), and can draw the conclusion that evolution is the only possible way to explain that evidence... or you can sit back, put your fingers in your ears, and yell "LALALAI'MNOTLISTENINGLALALA".

Evolution is the single-most well-supported and substantiated scientific theory to date in the world of science (being at a marcoscopic scale, we can actually observe the process taking place). We know more about the process of evolution than we know about gravity. Don't believe in it, UNDERSTAND it.

I think we need to understand that a lot of people are wary of using the word 'believe' in a non-religious context. First let's define what believe means, I think most people would agree with the definition that to believe something is to accept it as true.

Going by that definition then we can safely say that most reasonable believe in evolution. You would assume that a reasonable person who is familiar with the theory of evolution would believe it, however, I know several people who are very familiar with the body of evidence which is a part of the theory of evolution and still choose not to believe in it, people who otherwise appear to be reasonable and rational. Similarly I know of a few people who acceptable evolution to be true but really don't understand it at all. (I know this is all anecdotal)

For this reason I do not think it is incorrect to say that you believe in evolution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@TheFlush said:

@playmynutz said:

While highly interesting, quantum theory hasn't really been grounded yet. The story of the tower of babel is highly dubious at best.

I like to dream :-)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I think we need to understand that a lot of people are wary of using the word 'believe' in a non-religious context. First let's define what believe means, I think most people would agree with the definition that to believe something is to accept it as true.

Going by that definition then we can safely say that most reasonable believe in evolution. You would assume that a reasonable person who is familiar with the theory of evolution would believe it, however, I know several people who are very familiar with the body of evidence which is a part of the theory of evolution and still choose not to believe in it, people who otherwise appear to be reasonable and rational. Similarly I know of a few people who acceptable evolution to be true but really don't understand it at all. (I know this is all anecdotal)

For this reason I do not think it is incorrect to say that you believe in evolution.

Belief implies that what is believed in is some sort of ideology or philosophy. Like a religion. Evolution is none of these things. It is a scientific theory explaining a large group of facts.

In a colloquial sense, sure, you can "believe" in evolution.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I thought there was like already a thread on this, about the demographics of the spectrum of those that understand and don't understand evolution... maybe a Pew Poll, I forget, wasn't too long ago. Maybe Master_Live remembers since he likes to post Pew Polls, maybe it was his thread.

Anyhow, yeah I'd agree, I think those that oppose evolution generally don't understand it... at the same time though I think a lot of proponents of evolution don't understand it either. Still, I think it's telling who people put their trusts in, the overwhelming majority of the scientific community, or theologians.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I think you need to be pretty stupid to not understand evolution it's a very simple concept and something humans have used and influence numerous times.