what are your thoughts on people who move to America without learning English?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tripplebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tripplebrow
Member since 2008 • 159 Posts
cause i live in a pretty heavy mexican populated society and it seems like i can buy a bag of chips from the store without knowing what tortilla chips are =/
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
They should learn English. Don't ask an entire country to cater to you.
Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

They should learn English. Don't ask an entire country to cater to you.Theokhoth

Ditto. Atleast learn enough of the language to survive everyday life. And this goes for moving into any country.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

Depends on why they haven't learned it...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

They should learn English. Don't ask an entire country to cater to you.Theokhoth
Agreed they make you learn their languange when you go to other countries they should learn English.

My Grandfather learn English before he came to America from Brussels so did his family but he was the only one that got rid of his accent all of his brothers and sisters still had an Accent.

SynysterFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SynysterFreak
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
If they want to come here, why should we have to learn THEIR lanuguage? i hate when imigrants think that everyone should just kiss their @$$es and learn their language. They need to learn our's.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Not my problem. If you come up to me asking for something, and you can't speak English, I can't help you. It's your problem, not mine. Doesn't affect me in the least. So if you're okay with that, then go ahead and move here without knowing English.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
They make retail more interesting.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
I think they should learn the language, or at least enough of it to be able to communicate well enough when they go shopping or something.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Theokhoth

jointed

Their reasons why don't matter. If I planned to move long-term to Germany, I would at least learn how to hold a conversation in German. I would have to, in order to become a German citizen.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

If they want to come here, why should we have to learn THEIR lanuguage? i hate when imigrants think that everyone should just kiss their @$$es and learn their language. They need to learn our's.SynysterFreak

You don't. I have a LOT of Spanish speaking people around here, and I don't know Spanish. I simply don't deal with people who don't speak English.

SynysterFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SynysterFreak

[QUOTE="SynysterFreak"]If they want to come here, why should we have to learn THEIR lanuguage? i hate when imigrants think that everyone should just kiss their @$$es and learn their language. They need to learn our's.MrGeezer

You don't. I have a LOT of Spanish speaking people around here, and I don't know Spanish. I simply don't deal with people who don't speak English.

Yeah, I know, but a lot of them expect for us to learn it. Why do you think spanish is the most popular language to take in school right now?

tripplebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tripplebrow
Member since 2008 • 159 Posts

someone actually agrees with me? 0_0

every time i try to talk to my family about it they shun me off saying "its their choice, its a free country" it gets really annoying -_-"

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="SynysterFreak"]If they want to come here, why should we have to learn THEIR lanuguage? i hate when imigrants think that everyone should just kiss their @$$es and learn their language. They need to learn our's.SynysterFreak

Yeah, I know, but a lot of them expect for us to learn it. Why do you think spanish is the most popular language to take in school right now?

They can expect lots of things from me, but that doesn't mean they're gonna get it.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
yes, i think people should learn how to speak what ever country, unless u plan on going there for like a vaction or something. i have been to italy i don't know it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

Theokhoth

Their reasons why don't matter. If I planned to move long-term to Germany, I would at least learn how to hold a conversation in German. I would have to, in order to become a German citizen.

Of course they do. You can't just generalize every single non-english speaking individual in the US and expect to be taken seriously.

SynysterFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SynysterFreak
[QUOTE="SynysterFreak"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="SynysterFreak"]If they want to come here, why should we have to learn THEIR lanuguage? i hate when imigrants think that everyone should just kiss their @$$es and learn their language. They need to learn our's.MrGeezer

They can expect lots of things from me, but that doesn't mean they're gonna get it.

True, but a lot of non hispanic people are begining to expect everyone to cater to the imigrants complaints and learn their language. I'm not saying you have to or they're forcing you man. I'm saying, they b**** about it if you don't

solo-chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 solo-chaos
Member since 2006 • 2418 Posts

they should learn english some people say that america is a nation of immigrants but their culture is supposed to mix with ours not completely engulf it and change it

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I'm from the UK so it doesn't concern me but It STILL actually makes me angry that people do that. I was watching Hogan Knows Best and they moved house and actually had to learn Spanish so THEY could survive because where they moved contained mostly Spanish and Mexicans, which seems ludicrous from my perspective and maybe most UK guys perspectives. There's actually places in America which contain mostly foreigners??
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

Of course they do. You can't just generalize every single non-english speaking individual in the US and expect to be taken seriously.

To become a U.S. citizen, you have to know how to write in English, and to hold a conversation in English. You can't go to the border and say "¿Sí, yo nunca aprendí a cómo hablar inglés porque mis heridas de cuello; todavía puedo entrar yo?" (Yeah, I never learned how to speak English because my neck hurts; can I still get in?)

Your reasons why you don't learn English are irrelevant. No English, no citizenship.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
It would be wise to learn the main language of whatever country you in which you reside. I just think it would be such a handicap to your potential career if you did not.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

cause i live in a pretty heavy mexican populated society and it seems like i can buy a bag of chips from the store without knowing what tortilla chips are =/tripplebrow

a massive pain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="jointed"]

Theokhoth

To become a U.S. citizen, you have to know how to write in English, and to hold a conversation in English. You can't go to the border and say "¿Sí, yo nunca aprendí a cómo hablar inglés porque mis heridas de cuello; todavía puedo entrar yo?" (Yeah, I never learned how to speak English because my neck hurts; can I still get in?)

Your reasons why you don't learn English are irrelevant. No English, no citizenship.

Since when were we talking about citizenship? I'm saying that I need to know the reasons why an individual "decided" not to learn the language, before I can judge him.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
I think they're somewhat lazy. Hell, you'd expect them to at least learn the English necessary to live their lives and do their jobs, like numbers.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

My views on anyone who does that (irrelevant of the countrie) is that I really don't mind unless they start complaining. My local council recently got done because they were translating nigh on every single memo and notice into about 3-4 different languages (Polish, Hindi and something else) which no-one read when it was in English anyway, wasting a tonne of money.

I've been to Japan and got by with a very basic grasp on the language (like bare minimum stuff) and people were just generally pleased I was making an effort. If I was to do the British thing, that I saw in a Starbucks, which is move closer and speak louder and slower, then that'd annoy me.

1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
cut them some slack
smallcaplegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smallcaplegend
Member since 2006 • 3083 Posts
well unless there is a law saying they have to learn English it doesnt bother me. I live in a heavy Asian/Mexican city so I hear it all. If they dont know english thats fine by me I wont have a conversation with them its that simple
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
They should not be forced to learn English, but I should be able to go into any business in America and expect someone there to understand English.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
Their seggregating themselves. If they can't speak English, people of specific minorities will always live and work amongst each other, stopping them from assimilating to the American population.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
its pretty annoying
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
Depends, sometimes there aren't any ways to learn it before arriving. I don't think it's wrong as long as you make a genuine effort in trying to learn it after you've crossed the border.
UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 UltimaSlayer94
Member since 2008 • 411 Posts

I live in Cali where 95% of the people are chinese...

and god, do I hate it. They think they freaking own the damn state, everywhere everything is written in chinese, they dont speak english etc etc etc.

If you're gonna live in OUR country learn OUR language

smallcaplegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 smallcaplegend
Member since 2006 • 3083 Posts

and god, do I hate it. They think they freaking own the damn state, everywhere everything is written in chinese, they dont speak english etc etc etc.

UltimaSlayer94

we dont have an official language

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

UltimaSlayer94
Unless your native american then I'm pretty sure your people did pretty much the same thing these people are doing.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Not my problem. If you come up to me asking for something, and you can't speak English, I can't help you. It's your problem, not mine. Doesn't affect me in the least. So if you're okay with that, then go ahead and move here without knowing English.
MrGeezer

^ This.

The only time it affects me is when im trying to order food in a drivethru and they cant understand me or when im trying to buy a pack of smokes and i have to go behind the counter and point at the ones i want in order to get them.

Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Weredawg
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts

In Germany foreigners are required to learn basic German for residencey followed by an integration course where they are taught about German culture, history and politics. The course is also paid by the government. Germany is not multicultural, you will not even be able to survive with just English, not even in Cologne, which is the most liberal and mixed city in Germany.

USA is a country of immigrants and has been changed before by its immigrants and will by changed again in the years to come, although a country should have one main language, which all should be given a chance to learn, if not you'd have chaos.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
If you wish to live in a country, learn the language or don't expect to fit in very well. Going on holiday/vacation is an exception; you aren't staying long, so basic phrases or a phrase book are enough.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
Europe is capable of handling different languages and they don't complain. I think we're just too lazy to try to learn another language. This is the melting pot folks.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

I can't stand it and think it requires quite a good reason to be understandable.

If someone is a refugee and had to flee their country because of fighting or something then yeah thats understandable. If you are hoping the border and moving here illegally and not learning the language then just **** off and go back to your old country.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

People who move to the USA should learn how to speak English. If I were to move to another nation, they'd expect the same thing from me. You cannot prosper if you don't speak the commonly spoken language in any given country. People who move to the US and don't learn to speak English are hurting themselves.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

MrGeezer

What if that person is trying to tell you your face is melting? What then Geezer :| :D

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
the same to any immagrant that moves to another country. assimilate or get out.
MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MojondeVACA
Member since 2008 • 3916 Posts
The same could be say when we go to some other countries..i live in Finland and i know nothing of the language,not because i dont want.. is just so hard for me to learn,but most people dont care about learning the languages.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

they should have to learn proper english before they are allowed in, that is if they're planning to live here for more than a year.

visitors should have to learn rudimentary english though.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
I think they should adapt and learn the language. I did the same when I moved to Germany. It's so annoying as a retail manager to have to decipher what someone wants when they don't speak english. It's also annoying to listen to thier 8 year-old daughter Maria translate for them.
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
thats fine as long as they learn english later on
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

UltimaSlayer94

Beg pardon? Do you live in Chinatoown? I live in Sacramaneto where the predominant immigrant population is Russian.
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts

UltimaSlayer94
I'm sure a lot of them do speak english. It's not like they have to speak english amongst themselves what are you expecting?
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

QFT