What are we suposed to call black people anyway?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts

English aint my main language so this may not work that well for me. But what you call them? If i call them black i always get that look. I mean come on. We get called white, and i have no problem at all with it, so what it the problem with black?

I dont know what you call it in english, but if i call them black in my langugae, many time i get that look, people still find it strange.

elblanquito_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 elblanquito_81
Member since 2007 • 4356 Posts

Why do I get the feeling this topic won't end well?? :(

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
Don't classify people by their color.
fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fail_baby
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts

Brothuh Man 8)

Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

Dont worry everyone, im black. you are among an expert:P

i just think the term sounds crude. just the sound of it, being called it, it just makes me feel so grouped and excluded and pointed out. saying African American is more respectful, calling us by our heritage and not by an innacurate analysis of our skin. i guess since we arnt even black to begin with, it just kind of mocks us. but not always, just sometimes the way it is used.

"Those Black People"

"Trying To Be Black"

"Look at that Black Guy"

etc.

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts
i always call them black. because they are. ive never met a black that cared either.
Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts

Serious color person. :P

phillo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 phillo99
Member since 2005 • 2369 Posts

Don't classify people by their color. fmacraze

PC patrol.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

If I know they're name I'll call them by their name. Otherwise I generally say "black guy" etc. Just as I say "asian guy" "white guy" etc.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

How about just calling them people?

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts

[QUOTE="fmacraze"]Don't classify people by their color. phillo99

PC patrol.

imma gon getchu
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Tell you what, the day all black people call us white people Caucasians, then I will call them African-Americans. No single black person I've known has ever called me Caucasian, European-American, or Anglo Saxan. It's always been "white". I don't have a problem with it, and blacks shouldn't either.
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Noskillkill

i always call them black. because they are. ive never met a black that cared either.Free_Marxet

erhem....we are in fact NOT black. African American is the prefered way. i mean, its kinda wierd to say that, but why even bring it up in the first place. to classify people by that is stupid in the first place. since there is no real alternative to "black" at the time i think it shouldnt even be brought up.

and just because we dont always express care doesnt mean we DONT care.

FunnyMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 FunnyMouth
Member since 2009 • 428 Posts
For blacks living in America, I don't seperate them. They are Americans. You don't see people of German, or Scottish, or Scandinavian descent demanding "German-American Rights!" Why should Americans of African descent get a special label? Treat them equally, because they are equal.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
African American.
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Noskillkill

How about just calling them people?

black_cat19

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
Jolly African Americans
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Noskillkill

Tell you what, the day all black people call us white people Caucasians, then I will call them African-Americans. No single black person I've known has ever called me Caucasian, European-American, or Anglo Saxan. It's always been "white". I don't have a problem with it, and blacks shouldn't either. JustPlainLucas

i think it has to do with being so negatively labled for so long in history, we are a little sensative to it. especially since Black is just an over exageration of our skin tone. white is more accurate, unless you prefer beige:P

roosuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 roosuu
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts
I call them afro americans.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Tell you what, the day all black people call us white people Caucasians, then I will call them African-Americans. No single black person I've known has ever called me Caucasian, European-American, or Anglo Saxan. It's always been "white". I don't have a problem with it, and blacks shouldn't either. JustPlainLucas

Not to mention that not all black people are African-American. Would you look at a black French guy, and deem him to be an African-American?

And I guess that also means that African-Americans don't have to be black. If there are white Africans, and a white African moves to an American country, does that mean that he's more "African-American" than a black guy whose ancestors have never set foot outside of the Americas any time during the last 300 years?

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I hate being called African-American, always have. Always will. I preferred to be called "Black" or, you know, my first name. Either of those work for me.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

i always call them black. because they are. Free_Marxet

Black

Brown

Not same color.

That said, I've also never met a black person who was offended when they were called black, but that probably has something to do with there only being like 12 black people total in the city I live in...

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
Calling them black should work. If I get called white then they'll get called black. Works for me.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
you know, my first name. clayron
Thats what I like to call people......I usually see no need to give out skin color anyway unless giving a detailed description. If I dont know the person "that guy" is good enough for me. Same as I dont need to use the word gay if I am talking about someone that happens to be.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

African American.tsduv21

All Black people are from Africa...:roll:

I call them black, they don't like it tough luck to them, it's not a racist term and I'm not trying to be racist when saying it.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
I don't care, but I would be preferred to be called brown-skin guy instead of black....
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="Noskillkill"]

i think it has to do with being so negatively labled for so long in history, we are a little sensative to it. especially since Black is just an over exageration of our skin tone. white is more accurate, unless you prefer beige:P

There are just as many variations of white skin tone as there is black skin tone. You shouldn't take offense being called black, just as I don't take any offense being called white. And when I hear a negative label that describes a black person, I normally think of a six letter word that begins with the letter N.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Just call them a person...distinguishing what to call a person by skin pigmentation is pointless...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

That said, I've also never met a black person who was offended when they were called black, but that probably has something to do with there only being like 12 black people total in the city I live in...

MetroidPrimePwn
We should start calling whites peach people and blacks brown people.
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
I'm wondering this! SO many of them get agro at me when I walk up to them and yell "Yo, s'happenin' dawg!" I don't get it!
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Noskillkill

[QUOTE="tsduv21"]African American.Im_single

All Black people are from Africa...:roll:

I call them black, they don't like it tough luck to them, it's not a racist term and I'm not trying to be racist when saying it.

thats like saying "im calling them darkey but im not trying to be racist."

if the person feels uncomfortable with the way you refer to his race or how you label them, it is still not good.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
I've heard some...er...folks who are of African, Australian, Haitian, or Jamaican descent who believe that "black" just sounds negative, and prefer "African-American". On the other hand, i've heard some black folks (whom I tend to agree with) who prefer to be called "black" because "African-American" suggests that despite the fact that "black" people have been a part of Amerian history from its beginnings, they are not fully American.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Drakes_Fortune

i just think the term sounds crude. just the sound of it, being called it, it just makes me feel so grouped and excluded and pointed out. saying African American is more respectful, calling us by our heritage and not by an innacurate analysis of our skin. i guess since we arnt even black to begin with, it just kind of mocks us. but not always, just sometimes the way it is used.

"Those Black People"

"Trying To Be Black"

"Look at that Black Guy"

etc.

Noskillkill
But, not all blacks in the world are american. Am i supose to call a black guy in my country African american? And not all africans are black.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drakes_Fortune

If I know they're name I'll call them by their name. Otherwise I generally say "black guy" etc. Just as I say "asian guy" "white guy" etc.

Pixel-Pirate
Duh, of course if i know the guy im not calling him black. Its obvious ill call him by his own name. But what i wanna know what is the best term when talking about black people
FunnyMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FunnyMouth
[QUOTE="Noskillkill"]

"Those Black People"

"Trying To Be Black"

"Look at that Black Guy"

etc.

Drakes_Fortune
But, not all blacks in the world are american. Am i supose to call a black guy in my country African american? And not all africans are black.

Just call them American, British, Australian, whatever. Heritage and skin colour shouldn't play a role in someone's personal title.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
[QUOTE="clayron"] you know, my first name. mattykovax
Thats what I like to call people......I usually see no need to give out skin color anyway unless giving a detailed description. If I dont know the person "that guy" is good enough for me. Same as I dont need to use the word gay if I am talking about someone that happens to be.

Same here. I see no reason to identify people by their skin tone/ethnicity unless I am describing them to someone else who has no idea who the hell I am talking about.
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Noskillkill

[QUOTE="Noskillkill"]

JustPlainLucas

There are just as many variations of white skin tone as there is black skin tone. You shouldn't take offense being called black, just as I don't take any offense being called white. And when I hear a negative label that describes a black person, I normally think of a six letter word that begins with the letter N.

noobzor???

and being called black, its just a crude way to label a living person. after all the labels african americans have gone through, we land on black, which is just kind of mocking our dark skin. most people dont think that deeply, and i dont care ifyou use it to describe someone you dont know, or something along that lines. but to call me black to my face, i prefer diff. term. and to say "that black dude" . i dont think race is something that people of diff perspectives can fully get. i dont get why white ppl dont care about being called white, whites dont get why we dont(or some of us dont) like to be called black. i guess its just politically incorrect.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

well i call white people "lecheros" aka milk colored fool. but thats for another thread.

roosuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 roosuu
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts
I withdraw my earlier claim. I say we call them chocos(chocolate).
FunnyMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FunnyMouth
[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]I'm wondering this! SO many of them get agro at me when I walk up to them and yell "Yo, s'happenin' dawg!" I don't get it!

they just aint rollin' fresh like you, dawg
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drakes_Fortune
[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="Noskillkill"]

"Those Black People"

"Trying To Be Black"

"Look at that Black Guy"

etc.

FunnyMouth

Just call them American, British, Australian, whatever. Heritage and skin colour shouldn't play a role in someone's personal title.

Its not that simple. Thers ocasions where you wil need to have a name for them.
Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Noskillkill

[QUOTE="Noskillkill"]

"Those Black People"

"Trying To Be Black"

"Look at that Black Guy"

etc.

Drakes_Fortune

if you live in europe, i guess you can call them african european.. and i know not all africans are black, but just about all blacks root back to africa, hence african-american;european; etc.

Avatar image for Never3ndingLife
Never3ndingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Never3ndingLife
Member since 2009 • 1114 Posts
African American.tsduv21
yea that is the correct answer
RJay123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RJay123
Member since 2009 • 911 Posts

Separating people into "African American" or "Asian American" can only separate our country, regardless of any good intention towards those divisions.

If you were born in America, you are American, no different than any white American who doesn't have that extra word in front of their American title.

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
Well don't call them any of the words they call each other unless you want trouble
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
We don't use the term "African American" in Canada, because that wouldn't make sense. It seems people care much less about political correctness here. Nobody really minds being called "black" or "white"; it's just a way to describe someone physically.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
Its not that simple. Thers ocasions where you wil need to have a name for them.Drakes_Fortune
How about "Ebony" and "Ivory"? They go together in perfect harmony.