What are some things you miss from being a kid?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

TBH I enjoyed being a kid more then a adult neither are perfect obviously but is there anything you miss from your childhood?

I miss

• Watching Saturday Morning cartoons
  • Skateboarding
  • Going to the arcades
  • Playing in the woods
  • Christmas there's nothing like it when you are a kid
  • Reading game magazines and getting hyped
  • Hanging out with certain people before they turned into backstabbers, family related
  • Halloween
  • Going to the movies
  • Drawing
  • When my parents where younger and more healthy
  • Before I was clinically depressed
  • Going to Blockbuster Video or any rental store
MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

I wouldn't say I miss anything. To me personally, adulthood has been very rewarding. Of course I do have nostalgia with certain things in my youth, but that's really all they offer me.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#3 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts
  1. 6hr plus gaming sessions.
  2. Going to urban malls, especially toy or electronic stores.
  3. Not having much responsiblity: basically being on extended vacation years at a time.
  4. Collecting comic books
  5. Sports

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

No cell phones.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16000 Posts

There are quite a few things that I miss, but if I were to pick just one, I would say that I miss being mentally healthy. I've been mentally ill for over 15 years. I'm not going to feel sorry for myself, though; I'm still a very blessed man. I'm very fortunate to have family and friends that love me, and I am glad that I have enough money to make ends meet.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2140 Posts

Thinking that I have a future.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 685 Posts

The free time. I had so much time for myself back then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Gaming back in the 80/90's was magical.

Now it's meh.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I suppose the novelty of experience. You can still have that as an adult, but the naïveté is largely absent or diminished, and there are things you go through as a child you won’t see again.

Things such as puberty, discovering sexuality, the exhilaration of making friends and partners. These, while awkward and confusing, are fascinating. It’s also a crap time no doubt, but I miss living in a world of greater potential and exciting unknowns. It’s also nice to not be so cognizant and caring to how horrific this life can be. To be a kid is to be unburdened by greater considerations and consequences.

When you reach adulthood (unless you have lucked out and live a life like Tom Cruise or Richard Branson) it just kind of feels like routine sets in and you’re waiting to die.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@strategyfn said:
  3. Not having much responsiblity: basically being on extended vacation years at a time.
  5. Sports

Yep, back when malls where booming now most malls are dying it's super depressing.

@SOedipus said:

No cell phones.

Yes, and no social media I'm so glad I grew up before social media was a thing and cell phones where super niche bricks that only business men used.

@rmpumper said:

I miss that too feeling like anything is possible.

@uninspiredcup said:

Now it's meh.

It sure was because there was so much variety and innovation and the gaming industry wasn't as greedy

@MirkoS77 said:

I suppose the novelty of experience. You can still have that as an adult, but the naïveté is largely absent or diminished, and there are things you go through as a child you won’t see again.

Things such as puberty, discovering sexuality, the exhilaration of making friends and partners. These, while awkward and confusing, are fascinating. It’s also a crap time no doubt, but I miss living in a world of greater potential and exciting unknowns. It’s also nice to not be so cognizant and caring to how horrific this life can be. To be a kid is to be unburdened by greater considerations and consequences.

When you reach adulthood (unless you have lucked out and live a life like Tom Cruise or Richard Branson) it just kind of feels like routine sets in and you’re waiting to die.

I miss that world too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

My family wasn't well-off growing up, but I had a stable upbringing and if we were worse off than others I wasn't aware of it. I sort of miss just...not worrying. Or like the biggest worry is getting my homework done. I guess that's part of being innocent, you know? Like...the biggest deals to you as a kid are kind of adorable when you look at it as an adult.

Everything in life is a balance, a tradeoff, a positive/negative exchange. As an adult, I have more freedom than I did as a kid, but I worry more as well.

That's the main reason I don't want kids. Because then I'd see that lack of worry in them and my worry would be like 1000x worse than it already is and I'd live their entire childhood thinking "You little shit. Don't you realize how good you have it? **** you."

JK not really.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

I work so hard to maintain my sense of whimsy. It's a real struggle but I like to make sure things stay fresh or when I am in a fun atmosphere or indulging in sci-fi or fantasy, I just get into it. It's so important to keep your inner child alive and indulge it. Some might call me immature (if you're a dick), I like to think of it as young at heart 😋

But you are right. The sense of things being new, things being bigger than they are, of having just zero knowledge of a thing and then just being all-in on discovering everything about it is great.

I think as an adult we learn to more or less bullshit our way through a lot of things so we acquire this sort of semi-knowledge and we fudge the rest, but when you're a kid you want all the knowledge. I notice this with video games as an adult vs as a kid: as a kid, I want to explore every area of the game. As an adult, I just kind of want to get through the game for the most part. I still enjoy it, but I got other stuff to do lol.

@SOedipus said:

No cell phones.

Dude, so true. Really loved having none of that crap back in the day. 90's childhood FTW.

It's funny because my phone broke a few weeks ago and after two days of not fixing it, I sort of wanted to see how long I could go without it.

I made it 9 days. I emailed my family so they wouldn't worry. Then I sort of needed a phone since you know people do need to stay in contact with you, and since landlines aren't really a thing these days (for me, at least) I went and got one.

But I coped easily. Easier than I thought I would. And when I got my new phone, I didn't install Instagram or any social media and it's still not on there. Just for calls, texts, and some other stuff.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts
@warmblur said:
@strategyfn said:
  5. Sports

Yep, back when malls where booming now most malls are dying it's super depressing.

@SOedipus said:

No cell phones.

Yes, and no social media I'm so glad I grew up before social media was a thing and cell phones where super niche bricks that only business men used.

@rmpumper said:

I miss that too feeling like anything is possible.

@uninspiredcup said:

Now it's meh.

It sure was because there was so much variety and innovation and the gaming industry wasn't as greedy

@MirkoS77 said:

I miss that world too.

When I was kid, I grew up and live in poor third world country and though people in first world western countries are happy. they are lucky people. but now im seeing different reality.

they are as depressed, and unhappy as people in poor countries.

cell phones and digital currencies make life easier yet people miss not having cell phones LOL!!.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts
  • Play video games after school
  • Eat, sleep, play games and have fun
  • No need to think about the future and just have fun
  • No worrying
  • Don't need to cook.
  • Parents pay everything for our expenses
  • Don't need to work
  • Buy gaming magazines that included an exclusive demo disc every month - Playstation
  • Going to blockbuster or video game stores to discover new titles that brought excitement and mystery
  • Parents driving us around
  • Being immature
  • Less greed. Nowadays it's crazy
  • Watch TV all day, every day
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

Other than things that are no longer available like Movie/Game Rental stores I still do about everything I did as a kid. Nothing stops you from doing the things you have always enjoyed but yourself. You get to choose how happy you are. Haters can hate. Do what you love and do it with others who love you.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#16 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Cartoon Network actually having decent shows.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I miss when getting a toy in a Happy Meal was like an event. Kids these days will never understand, as I see Happy Meal toys have downgraded.

Friday night and Saturday morning cartoons was hype back in the day. I remember bouncing back between Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and WB for their cartoon offerings. Nowadays I'm not sure if Saturday morning cartoons is much of a practice anymore.

Video and rental stores. I know a lot of people have said the same thing, but video rental stores were the shit back in the day, and streaming services have long lost a certain allure that was unique to going to places like Blockbuster with the family on a Friday night, and running around a store to pick a movie/game and the uncertainty at times when what you're looking for was not in stock. For its time those were disappointments, but looking back it's a long lost charm that was going to Blockbuster.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#18 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@jaydan said:

Video and rental stores. I know a lot of people have said the same thing, but video rental stores were the shit back in the day, and streaming services have long lost a certain allure that was unique to going to places like Blockbuster with the family on a Friday night, and running around a store to pick a movie/game and the uncertainty at times when what you're looking for was not in stock. For its time those were disappointments, but looking back it's a long lost charm that was going to Blockbuster.

Agreed.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

As a kid
I found there were a lot of games and stuff I played that I certainly wouldn't dabble with now.
Games changed and aren't quite the same as they used to be.

I was more into going out and even exploring abandon places and liked finding old things.
I got older and don't have the time for that anymore and the interest isn't quite the same.

I didn't like watching tv much, but cartoon network was good and it would glue me to the tv when my favorite cartoon/show came on.

Gamespot forums were also more active and I miss that very much as I've been a part of this for a very long time now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@SOedipus said:

No cell phones.

Yeah this somewhat. At least before the smartphones came with the first iPhone.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

There aren't physical things I miss because most of those things are still available now anyway in some form or another.

As others have said I'd say just really the magic of discovering new things and new experiences. The world is vast beyond your imagination when you're a kid and that awe just gets whittled away as you grow up and it just becomes harder to discover new things or be wow'd by new experiences.

That and the freedom, my god the freedom!

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Blockbuster or Hollywood Video when it came to renting movies or games for the weekend.

Staying up late and watching movies on VHS tapes.

Saturday morning cartoons and especially cartoons after school.

Not have worry about money or anything

Spending time with family members even though I never liked it as I wasn't close to any of them

Vacation time like Corpus Christi Texas and Gardener State Park which we would go alot and stay in a cabin and swim in the lake in a raft or paddle boat when the life vest.

EpicGamersHub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EpicGamersHub
Member since 2022 • 10 Posts

I miss not having to worry about paying bills. I miss watching Mighty Max, Saturday morning cartoons, Toonami, Adult Swim, Robot Chicken

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4231 Posts

Hot wheels. Rare comic books.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Reading Choose Your Own Adventure books, and like minded books of that nature.

Watching cartoons.

Playing table top RPGs.

Going to all ages shows.

Watching Kung Fu movies on TV

Seeing movies in the theater and even a couple of Drive-ins

There are a lot of things that I don't like about my childhood, So I wouldn't want to live it again, if given the choice.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

I liked being naive to the horrific reality of the world.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts
  • Being carefree
  • Being a lot more balanced as a person
  • Living in a village where I could play outside
  • Cartoons