What are concerts like?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts

Ok, so my favorite rapper ever, Ice Cube, is coming to a nearby town next month. I want to go really bad. The thing is, I have never been to a concert before in my life. It is an outdoor concert if that makes any difference. What should I expect? What are concerts like? Would it be weird if I went by myself? I'm white, and quite frankly, I  am afraid of being mugged. What should I expect? I feel like this may be my only opportunity to ever see Cube, so I am going to go, I just want to know what to expect. Any advice? 

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

It's like listening on a recording but less flexible, comfortable and worse quality since a bunch of annoying people are surrounding you making noise.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Loud. But if the artist is any good.....must be experienced.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Chances are you'll have some drunk, obnoxious asshole behind you spilling his beer on you and singing loudly, out of tune and f*cking up the words to every song.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
The feeling of concerts against my salad eyes and ears is almost orgasmic.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58440 Posts

loud

expensive

hot

crowded

sweaty

loud

overpriced

filled with annoying people

but, if it is a group you enjoy, a group that has a reputation for putting on an excellent show, it is an experience of a lifetime!  I remember seeing Metallica live back in the 90s, oh man it was incredible.  I went with my sister, I was like 15 years old, and I went in the moshpit.  It was so much fun...surprisingly civil.  Some guy knocked me down after I elbowed him, then we bought eachother a beer lol.

I don't know what Ice Cube's reputation is live (I did like me some Cube back in the day), but I don't recommend seeing rap shows live.  I've seen some Bay Area acts live and its disappointing, to put it lightly.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

Chances are you'll have some drunk, obnoxious asshole behind you spilling his beer on you and singing loudly, out of tune and f*cking up the words to every song.

worlock77

part of the fun lol.  Especially if you, too, are driunk and singing with him

*that is, of course, only after putting your arm over their shoulder and telling eachother "I love you man" repeatedly" in slurred speech

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

mrbojangles25

I honestly don't find alcohol at concerts an enjoyable experience.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

I'm with you on that....but I must be lucky....no one sings loudly behind me or spills beer on me....yet anyway.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Extremely loud.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TonyDanzaFan

loud

expensive

hot

crowded

sweaty

loud

overpriced

but, if it is a group you enjoy, a group that has a reputation for putting on an excellent show, it is an experience of a lifetime!  I remember seeing Metallica live back in the 90s, oh man it was incredible.  I went with my sister, I was like 15 years old, and I went in the moshpit.  It was so much fun...surprisingly civil.  Some guy knocked me down after I elbowed him, then we bought eachother a beer lol.

I don't know what Ice Cube's reputation is live (I did like me some Cube back in the day), but I don't recommend seeing rap shows live.  I've seen some Bay Area acts live and its disappointing, to put it lightly.

mrbojangles25
If you don't mind me asking, what was disappointing about the rap shows you've seen? And it's not just Ice Cube. It is Cube, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, and De La Soul, but I am going to see Cube.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

worlock77

When I saw Madonna last year, the music was so fvcking loud that I couldn't hear anybody in the crowd singing. I did smell somebody smoking weed nearby tho.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

GreySeal9

When I saw Madonna last year, the music was so fvcking loud that I couldn't hear anybody singing. I did smell somebody smoking weed nearby tho.

I guess that's one way to sit through a Madonna concert....>__>
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

loud

expensive

hot

crowded

sweaty

loud

overpriced

TonyDanzaFan

If you don't mind me asking, what was disappointing about the rap shows you've seen? And it's not just Ice Cube. It is Cube, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, and De La Soul, but I am going to see Cube.

Most rap artists are heavily produced on recordings, i.e. they rely heavily on the studio to make them sound good.  

They have horrible voices, poor timing, and the people doing their music and beats are often amateur at best during live shows.  And then their are the hype men or whatever you call the guy that jumps around on stage going "uh huh" "what" "word" "say what" and "awww yeah" every five seconds lol.  But keep in mind that these were so-called underground artists (Mac Dre, Andre Nickatina, etc).

The folks you listed are veterans and have been around for a while, I am sure they know how to put on a good show.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

When I saw Madonna last year, the music was so fvcking loud that I couldn't hear anybody singing. I did smell somebody smoking weed nearby tho.

You need something much heavier to sit through a Cure concert. :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

yeah I always bring ear plugs to shows and concerts now

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm with you on that....but I must be lucky....no one sings loudly behind me or spills beer on me....yet anyway.

Actually it's only happened to me once, at a Cure concert actually (though I have had beer spilled on me at other concerts, usually though it's just an accident from bumping into each other while trying to maneuver through the crowd). Sadly, out of all the concerts I've been to I found the audience at the Cure to be the most obnoxious, pushy, and overall inconsiderate. The coolest, most polite and considerate crowd I've experienced at a concert? Iron Maiden.

(*Note: this isn't a commentary on these bands, or even their fanbase necessaily, just my personal experiences at individual concerts.)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Actually it's only happened to me once, at a Cure concert actually (though I have had beer spilled on me at other concerts, usually though it's just an accident from bumping into each other while trying to maneuver through the crowd). Sadly, out of all the concerts I've been to I found the audience at the Cure to be the most obnoxious, pushy, and overall inconsiderate. The coolest, most polite and considerate crowd I've experienced at a concert? Iron Maiden.

(*Note: this isn't a commentary on these bands, or even their fanbase necessaily, just my personal experiences at individual concerts.)

Can't speak for Iron Maiden concerts....but the people I've met at Cure concerts have been fine. Really friendly.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

worlock77

I've found metal shows to be the most civil lol.  Something about them brings out the chivialry in people, like an ancient battle lol.

Punk shows are the exact opposite, but equally fun.  Everyone is a jerk, and you can be too.  YEEEEAHHHH **** OBAMA **** IT ALL TEAR IT ALL DOWN WOOOO im not in college any more but im going to act like i am WOOOOOOO HEALTH CARE

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

i've only ever enjoyed concerts when there was no assigned seating, just a mosh of people; the energy in those instances was amazing.

otherwise, meh

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreySeal9

The Madonna show I went to last year was amazing (I can't even imagine how much work went into it), but honestly, I can only go to concerts once in a while. They exhaust the hell out of me. My ears were ringing like mad at the end of the show. But it is fun to feel the audience reaction when the artist does certain songs. You can kind of feel the level of energy based on the song being performed.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

worlock77

Did you see the The Cure at Red Rocks by any chance?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

worlock77

The nicest crowd I've ever been in was for Black Sabbath which surprised me because I was expecting a lot of weirdos.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm with you on that....but I must be lucky....no one sings loudly behind me or spills beer on me....yet anyway.GreySeal9

No, I live in the Chicago area. Allstate Arena (arena concerts, bleh).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

No, I live in the Chicago area. Allstate Arena (arena concerts, bleh).

Oh, OK. Was just asking because people act kind of stupid at Red Rocks, depending on the band/artist (if it's a artist that old people like, the audience is usually well-behaved). I have a friend who is a mega Cure fan and she said that people were acting really dumb when she saw them at Red Rocks.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

They are a really positive and sometimes spiritual experience if your really into the music.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Only one way to find out. Attend one.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I haven't been to too many concerts and the majority of the ones I go to are for smaller metal bands, so the venue isn't very full and everyone's well behaved. I've seen Iron Maiden three times, and they always put on an amazing show. Their concerts are usually pretty crowded, but once you get into the music, you really don't notice. I've been to an Alkaline Trio concert once that was just awful. It was so crowded and there were turds everywhere in skinny jeans taking off their shirts and slinging sweat all over you. I probably would have suffered through it had I been able to hear the band playing instead of only being able to hear the audience singing.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

completely depends on the place, band, and genre.  An acoustic rock/country concert is going to be very different than a heavy metal concert.  I have never been to a rap concert so I wouldnt know what that is like.  

As for indoor and outdoor, both can be very good or very bad.  

Some bands suck, the quality sounds awful, and the stage presence is nonexistant or lame.  some sound amazing, just as good as their studio recording but with the oomph of a live performance and some entertaining stage presence, possibly including smoke, fire, props, or whatever.

Best live bands I have seen:

Staind (possibly the most talented band I have ever seen, with some great stage presence)

Three Days Grace (a great all around performance with some funny comments from the lead singer and some energetic performing)

Halestorm (actually, this might be the most talented band I have seen.  mind blowing and great performance for someone who was an opening act)

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
but I don't recommend seeing rap shows livemrbojangles25
Unless you're going to see this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomkul1fFvw Dat crowd.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] but I don't recommend seeing rap shows live-Tish-
Unless you're going to see this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomkul1fFvw Dat crowd.

Even before clicking the link I had a feeling that was going to be a Backseat Freestyle vid. Kendrick owns
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

I don't enjoy that because it's f*ckin' expensive. Otherwise I'd be in pretty much every circle pit...

But that's metal concerts. I don't know what others are like.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TonyDanzaFan
Ok, so I have decided based on all the opinions on here that I should go. So I am going to buy two tickets and see if I can get some chick to go with me. But if I cant, are there usually hot, single chicks at concerts? Or are they usually with guys? I'm hoping to get my bone on.
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Soundwave Festival and Bon Jovi are the only outdoor music shows I've seen but it will be very loud, you probably won't see a thing and it will get cold at night.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

worlock77

People are generally cool at metal concerts, I mean sure they may knock you down running into you but if they do they'll pick you right back up.
Avatar image for PsychoRedFox666
PsychoRedFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PsychoRedFox666
Member since 2007 • 2081 Posts

I practically live in shows. Awesome stuff, just go man. Nothing worse than passing up your favorite artist when they hit your town.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Loud, smelly, and you're constantly dehydrated.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
Ok, so I have decided based on all the opinions on here that I should go. So I am going to buy two tickets and see if I can get some chick to go with me. But if I cant, are there usually hot, single chicks at concerts? Or are they usually with guys? I'm hoping to get my bone on. TonyDanzaFan
Well typically people go with other people. It's like attending a movie at the theater. No one goes to the movies by themselves.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77

[QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"]Ok, so I have decided based on all the opinions on here that I should go. So I am going to buy two tickets and see if I can get some chick to go with me. But if I cant, are there usually hot, single chicks at concerts? Or are they usually with guys? I'm hoping to get my bone on. -Tish-
Well typically people go with other people. It's like attending a movie at the theater. No one goes to the movies by themselves.

I go to the movies by myself all the time. I also go to concerts by myself sometimes. It's awesome.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I think this is a troll thread based on the fact that nobody's favorite rapper is Ice Cube, especially after those movies with the stupid kids.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#41 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
The concerts I've been to... people didn't spill beer, they threw it.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

worlock77
Sounds like that has happened to you before.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Toph_Girl250
About the only concerts I've ever been to are Meatloaf and Tran-Siberian Orchestra, and those concerts were never riddled with wild out of control people and drunks, at least for the most part, from what I remember seeing.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrbojangles25

I think this is a troll thread based on the fact that nobody's favorite rapper is Ice Cube, especially after those movies with the stupid kids.XilePrincess

Today Was A Good Day is such a timeless, classic work that Ice Cube can do no wrong.  I can be having the worst morning ever, and that song comes on, and I just start bobbing my head, and I instantly feel a million times better.

And lets not forget the awesome Friday movies.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 worlock77

About the only concerts I've ever been to are Meatloaf and Tran-Siberian OrchestraToph_Girl250

I'm sorry.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbSJjILSsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiV8xpYUJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFde3_dr650

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toph_Girl250

[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]About the only concerts I've ever been to are Meatloaf and Tran-Siberian Orchestraworlock77

I'm sorry.

And how is that sad?
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Toph_Girl250
I think this is a troll thread based on the fact that nobody's favorite rapper is Ice Cube, especially after those movies with the stupid kids.XilePrincess
Agreed, not to mention Rap might be the most least liked genre of music by the population, and is most bottom of the barrel. Either that or its country or dubstep, not sure.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]About the only concerts I've ever been to are Meatloaf and Tran-Siberian OrchestraToph_Girl250

I'm sorry.

And how is that sad?

I didn't say it was.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Toph_Girl250

[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

I'm sorry.

worlock77

And how is that sad?

I didn't say it was.

Alright then. So are there any good rock concerts I have yet to see that you're willing to suggest?