Virginia Shootings (16th April '07)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts

Links & Articles:

TIMELINE OF EVENTS. 

Wikipedia : Main details.

For info on Gunman.

For info on the Gunman's life at the Uni.

For info on Town's response to massacre.

For info on Students reaction to Tradegy.

For info on Named Victims.

Quotes on Tradegy.

Gunmans Quotes in Final Video.

Videos: 

Gunmans Final Video.

Student talks of escaping Gunman.

Candlelight Vigil for Victims.

MOST RECENT NEWS: Gunman's Family are 'So Sorry' and Gunmans Final Video

Total of 33 dead (including suicide of Gunman), and around 15 injured. Case is now the deadliest shooting at a US educational facilitiy.

Gunman:  

Police have stated that the gunman is Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old from South Korea, final year student, who was studying English and lived on campus. Described as being a 'loner'. He also recieved mental care at a mental unit up until late 2005.

Police now confirmed that two hanguns have been recovered, 9mm and 22mm weapons. First gun purchased on 13th March.

The Gunman reportedly left behind a "disturbing note" following the first killings of the morning, but not all of the contents have been revealed. He also sent a 'Final Video' to NBC News Network in the US. This can be seen here.

Gunman described as almost dressed like a 'boy scout,' wearing a short-sleeved tan shirt and a black ammunition vest.

His face was reported to have been badly damaged after killing himself, but that he had been positively identified by fingerprints and immigration records. 

George W. Bush comments: 'Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American clasroom and every American community.' He also added that America was: 'Shocked and Saddened. Today our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones at Virginia Tech. We hold the victims in our hearts. We lift them up in our prayers. And we ask a loving God to comfort those who are suffering today.'

Brief: 

Two shootings at Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, USA on 16th April '07.

The first at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory at 7:15 AM. 911 was called at that time. Two killed here (including Gunman's girlfriend).

The second, which happened approx. 2 hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building. 30 killed here (including Gunman via suicide).

Police have now confirmed that the gunman had killed himself at Norris Hall.

Still investigating whether the two shootings were connected, and also, if the bomb threats which the University had recieved in the past few weeks were connected to the shooter (s).

Eye witnesses say the Gunman had appeared in the dorm. and was looking for his girlfriend, then opened fire.

Police have now confirmed that the Gunman was a student at the University.

Map and Timeline of Key Events:

For all details of events click here.

(Updated Frequently)

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

Dude these are getting way too common in the US. I mean they are becoming really common.

And its really not good. 

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts

Dude these are getting way too common in the US. I mean they are becoming really common.

And its really not good.

Samwel_X

It seems like a daily occurance. Time to invest in junior-sized body armor.... 

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
This is really becoming the norm at US schools maybe they should take a long hard look at the laws because clearly something isnt right.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
Yea, it was VT and I have been listening to the news all day about it. They just said 22 are dead on XM Radio, but I am not sure if that is true or not because it says 21 are wounded. I guess we'll have to wait and see the official word. This is really sad.
Tom45282003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tom45282003
Member since 2004 • 2122 Posts

I used to live in virginia where UVA thats tech is our rival state but know i live in paris france

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
take a leaf out of our book (in england) make guns...illegal.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hyruledweller

Yea, it was VT and I have been listening to the news all day about it. They just said 22 are dead on XM Radio, but I am not sure if that is true or not because it says 21 are wounded. I guess we'll have to wait and see the official word. This is really sad.videogamer456

I'm on BBC NEWS24, it seems there are 22 dead, and 20 or so wounded. 

philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts

When this happens in the UK its very rare.... you just can't get hold of guns as easily here thank goodness.

The details emerging from this case are very disturbing..... I really feel for the families involved and really hope that you are able to get guns totally banned out there to help reduce these kind of horrible experiences. :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?nickmag

I say do it. In Japan guns are completely illegal (that is why Tokyo Marui makes Airsoft replicas) and they enjoy the lowest violent crime rate on the planet.
Avatar image for NicktehImperial
NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NicktehImperial
Member since 2007 • 4243 Posts

Guns kill people, just like forks and spoons made Rosie O'donnel fat.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
i just heard about this, its horrible
NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NicktehImperial

When this happens in the UK its very rare.... you just can't get hold of guns as easily here thank goodness.

The details emerging from this case are very disturbing..... I really feel for the families involved and really hope that you are able to get guns totally banned out there to help reduce these kind of horrible experiences. :(

philhilluk

People are into guns alot more in Canada and they don't have school shootings.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Yeah, I just saw this on the news, bigger than Columbine, horrible news, so many dead:(.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerchris810
[QUOTE="philhilluk"]

When this happens in the UK its very rare.... you just can't get hold of guns as easily here thank goodness.

The details emerging from this case are very disturbing..... I really feel for the families involved and really hope that you are able to get guns totally banned out there to help reduce these kind of horrible experiences. :(

NicktehImperial

People are into guns alot more in Canada and they don't have school shootings.

i guess there are less sick basterds in canada, USA have a really bad reputation. 

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts

[QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?foxhound_fox

I say do it. In Japan guns are completely illegal (that is why Tokyo Marui makes Airsoft replicas) and they enjoy the lowest violent crime rate on the planet.

They're completely illegal here too, and while gun crime exists, it is extremely uncommon compared to many countries where it is legal to own a gun. 21 people being shot dead is just unacceptable, and something has to be done. I'll bet you anything someone will blame videogames though :roll:

jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts
yeah i heard about it and it's really disturbing. we really have gotta get a better gun control system
SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

All though this is tragic I do no think we should make guns illegal

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ranger_x8b

For those of you wishing guns should be completely illegal to have:

If you want to get rid of firearms, then people who are crazy enough to kill will just find another weapon to use. Look around in your kitchen; almost every utensil in there can be used as a weapon. You can run over people with cars. Hell, you can use your own bare hands to cause damage. What I'm trying to say is that, unfortunately, humans have become very skilled at killing humans and they can and will use that skill using anything they can get their hands on. I just don't see how outlawing guns alone will fix the problem of murder.

NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NicktehImperial

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?cjek

They're completely illegal here too, and while gun crime exists, it is extremely uncommon compared to many countries where it is legal to own a gun. 21 people being shot dead is just unacceptable, and something has to be done. I'll bet you anything someone will blame videogames though :roll:

No I live in the USA and I say, bring Marines into the cities, if anyone tries anything, they'll have a bullet in their skull, in Columbine the police didn't come inside the school until the shooters shot themselves... 

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerchris810

If you want to get rid of firearms, then people who are crazy enough to kill will just find another weapon to use. Look around in your kitchen; almost every utensil in there can be used as a weapon. You can run over people with cars. Hell, you can use your own bare hands to cause damage. What I'm trying to say is that, unfortunately, humans have become very skilled at killing humans and they can and will use that skill using anything they can get their hands on. I just don't see how outlawing guns alone will fix the problem of murder.

Ranger_x8b

thats true but guns are the main weapons. i mean u cant really defend yourself agaisnt a gun can you?though with a knife it could be possable to stop the attacker much easier. 

Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts
This is terrible... I hope there are no more casualties... :(
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Ranger_x8b

Is it as easy to kill someone with a knife or your hands as it is with a gun?

Point, click, BOOM, dead.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
Another case of broken homes and horrible parenting.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

*Sigh*

The people trying to say we should ban guns make me sad for hummanity.

Yeah, lets blame this all on a tool. We know that nothing would have happened if it weren't for that damn tool.

How about we start investigating the facts that MATTER, such as WHY did this happen? The common occurance of this is an OBVIOUS sign that there needs to be some MAJOR social and cultural changes.

As mentioned before, guns are EVERYWHERE in Canada and yet they have a very low gun crime rate.

There is a sort of sickness brewing here in the US and we need to cure it ASAP. 

FlippenBricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FlippenBricks
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
these shooter kids need friends cuz they have none....or a few goth/and or crazy kids, losers (im tht guy he'd probally shoot....unfortunetly he'd have a suprise)
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

[QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?SAURON221

says sauron the dark lord :l
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hyruledweller

Ranger_x8b

But, there's a difference between a gun and a household every day appliance, i agree that humans can use anything to kill

but theres a slight gap in danger.

EvanSkanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EvanSkanes
Member since 2004 • 10942 Posts

"#1 cause of death in America, school shootings".

I can see it now. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?foxhound_fox

Give me a link on that - lowest crime rate.  Also, homogenous populations tend to have less crime.

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nickmag

[QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?NicktehImperial

Guns kill people, just like forks and spoons made Rosie O'donnel fat.

by your logic if you take away forks and spoons rosie o'donnel won't get fat, so take away guns and people won't kill
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts

You can't say that, it's infringing on people's right to kill stuff.

:roll: 

Heat_Guy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heat_Guy_D
Member since 2005 • 5534 Posts
Very sad thing to happen. Looks like Jack Thompson has a new angle too, and I would think it would be impossible to ban guns in America now, they are fully integrated into society.
ROFLMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 ROFLMASTER
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts

Haven't heard about this yet, since I live in germany. Very tragic I must say :( . Even by outlawing guns it will still take a while until the amount of gun owners (whether legally or illegally) will go down since they can't just get rid of all the guns that are already in posession. So I'd say they should start making guns illegal as soon as possible...f*** the NRA!

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts
These are scary times. I really feel for them. I hate screwed up people taking it out on others. :(
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts
Meh, it's gonna get blamed on videos games anyway =/
LostMemorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LostMemorie
Member since 2005 • 2640 Posts
This is really becoming the norm at US schools maybe they should take a long hard look at the laws because clearly something isnt right.fordies

Yes, clearly.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 REforever101

[QUOTE="nickmag"]/facepalm time for serious discussions about making guns illegal?SAURON221

im not giving up my guns. but regardless, crazy people would get them anyway

just look at columbine, all their guns (or at least most) were obtained via illegal means (black market) 

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

Is it as easy to kill someone with a knife or your hands as it is with a gun?foxhound_fox

Actually yes it is.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamerchris810
they should have sent team rainbow in!! wait...there not real :oops:
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 REforever101

Meh, it's gonna get blamed on videos games anyway =/dj_pulserfan

yea, unfortunatly

philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts

So many other countries have successfully banned guns and have much lower violent crime rates.

It's tried and tested,  just needs to be enforced in those countries where this trouble occurs.

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ranger_x8b

thats true but guns are the main weapons. i mean u cant really defend yourself agaisnt a gun can you?though with a knife it could be possable to stop the attacker much easier. gamerchris810

If you begin to outlaw guns, then you'll start a chain reaction. Murderous people start using knives and now knives are outlawed. Murderous people start using hammers and now hammers are outlawed. Murderous people start using cars and now cars are outlawed. Murder will continue to happen no matter what gets outlawed, so guns isn't the true solution to ending murder. 

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamerchris810

[QUOTE="gamerchris810"]thats true but guns are the main weapons. i mean u cant really defend yourself agaisnt a gun can you?though with a knife it could be possable to stop the attacker much easier. Ranger_x8b

If you begin to outlaw guns, then you'll start a chain reaction. Murderous people start using knives and now knives are outlawed. Murderous people start using hammers and now hammers are outlawed. Murderous people start using cars and now cars are outlawed. Murder will continue to happen no matter what gets outlawed, so guns isn't the true solution to ending murder.

perhaps but guns still kill alot of ppl,banning them would take murders down. just ban guns.nothing else. 

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nickmag

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Is it as easy to kill someone with a knife or your hands as it is with a gun?EndersAres

Actually yes it is.

but not 22 people, someone would've stopped them
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

Ranger_x8b
To me, the bigger problem is that there are millions of guns out there; simply outlawing them will not make them disappear. Anyone who is not deterred by laws against shooting people doesn't seem like they will be deterred by laws against having the means to shoot people. My deepest sympathy goes out to those affected by the lunatic who did these shootings.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts

So many other countries have successfully banned guns and have much lower violent crime rates.

It's tried and tested, just needs to be enforced in those countries where this trouble occurs.

philhilluk

Fighting a war on guns is like fighting the war on drugs, pointless. People who want a gun will get one regardless. It's rather cliche, but as the saying goes, guns don't kill people, people kill people. I know a dozen people that own guns that wouldn't go on a shooting rampage.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Is it as easy to kill someone with a knife or your hands as it is with a gun?EndersAres

Actually yes it is.

what about 22 people in a row? ......it's not my country, so i don't have a say on this. but if the americans don't care about the gun laws, then maybe the rest of the world shouldn't be worried about them.....

proctorsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 proctorsurf
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
geeze you guys are begging for a full police state...........more brainwashing..... this will become another Columbine where all of the facts are revealed a year later. The options for this shooting............ 1. Black op 2. mental patient 3. brainwashed like Sirhan Sirhan.