USDA opposes ban on food stamps for Soda

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

According to the USDA, disallowing people on welfare from spending their food stamps on junk food lacks"potential viability and effectiveness."http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/feds-oppose-ban-on-food-s_n_932128.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk2|88076

Of all the things the government wants to control, you would think they would want to control their own welfare program. Admittedly I have no seen the actual legislation behind Bloomburgs plan, but I see no reason why it would be "unviable". I imagine it has a lot to do with corporate lobbyists however...

Thoughts OT?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Fair enough, sounds like the only complaints would be from the corn lobby due to the HFCS they use to sweeten them
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 majoras_wrath
Fair enough, sounds like the only complaints would be from the corn lobby due to the HFCS they use to sweeten themmarkop2003
Which is probably why this common sense ban won't be going into place.
doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

i like how florida and 2 other states put drug testing for people on welfare

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

Good, this country is already increadibly fat and unhealthy.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 majoras_wrath

Good, this country is already increadibly fat and unhealthy.

CaveJohnson1
But it's not happening thanks to the USDA.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I have always thought that food stamps should not be used for soda, candy, potato chips or other types of sweets like cookies or Ho-Hos. They should be used for nutritious foods and not just empty calories. The USDA is really screwed up with not wanting to reform the use of food stamps.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

doesntcare
I would expect that to save states millions from the people who were disqualified due to positive drug tests. Of course, I fully expect OT to be against that due to the pro drug ideals here. I'm pretty neutral on using Food Stamps on junk food. I prefer for it to be used on healthy food but it would probably be a little troublesome diving what should and shouldn't count. Should we disapprove using it for regular soda but allow diet soda? The questions would get annoying after awhile.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I don't care. If people are on food stamps they need to be spending that money on mostly healthy alternatives.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

I don't care. If people are on food stamps they need to be spending that money on mostly healthy alternatives.

airshocker
i agree with this, i find it disgusting that people are using their foodstamps to help kill themselves
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

doesntcare
Yes drugs are a luxury only for the rich.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="doesntcare"]

ad1x2

I would expect that to save states millions from the people who were disqualified due to positive drug tests. Of course, I fully expect OT to be against that due to the pro drug ideals here. I'm pretty neutral on using Food Stamps on junk food. I prefer for it to be used on healthy food but it would probably be a little troublesome diving what should and shouldn't count. Should we disapprove using it for regular soda but allow diet soda? The questions would get annoying after awhile.

I approve of those receiving welfare to submit to random drug testing as a condition of their receiving it. Want help, show the public you deserve it.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 doesntcare

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="doesntcare"]

WhiteKnight77

I approve of those receiving welfare to submit to random drug testing as a condition of their receiving it. Want help, show the public you deserve it.

that is my point...
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
the USDA failed on this one.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

People on food stamps have the right to get fat and have diabetes just like everyone else.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 doesntcare

[QUOTE="doesntcare"]

EntropyWins

Its not even that, my old neighbor. Got her rent, elec, and other bills paid for her by state and city organizations. All the while she had designer clothes, furniture and a brand new car. Later turned out she was running prostitutes through her apt. so people abusing the system irks me to no end.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"][QUOTE="doesntcare"]

doesntcare

Its not even that, my old neighbor. Got her rent, elec, and other bills paid for her by state and city organizations. All the while she had designer clothes, furniture and a brand new car. Later turned out she was running prostitutes through her apt. so people abusing the system irks me to no end.

So....I guess you do care? :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It kind of sickens me how sugary soda is cheaper than fruit juice and bottled water.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

We should end the food stamps program and open up more soup kitchens instead. It would be less costly.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

Oh come on now. Illicit recreational drugs an illegal and costly luxury that inherently decrease one's marketability and, sometimes, health and capacities. If the idea is to offer public support to help someone get back on their feet, I don't see how preconditioning that aid with non-use of an illegal substance that harms one's ability to get back on their feet should be out of the question.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
[QUOTE="doesntcare"]

EntropyWins

Guess you missed the stories of the numerous celebrities who had to face fines and/or jail time for drug use. Besides, for the many who get away with it, they're using their own money to buy them. On the other hand, when I was younger I knew of more than one person who would trade food stamps for cash and then use the cash to buy dope. I have a serious problem with that especially when it makes the people who don't abuse the system look bad.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
its their food stamps... they spend it on food, food of their choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

its their food stamps... they spend it on food, food of their choiceweezyfb

It's our money. We get a say.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 weezyfb

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its their food stamps... they spend it on food, food of their choiceairshocker

All taxpayers can't get together and put up a list of what is acceptable and what isn't. So it would up to the government to decide what people can and can't eat, and i am no fan of that.
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EntropyWins
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="EntropyWins"][QUOTE="doesntcare"]

Oh come on now. Illicit recreational drugs an illegal and costly luxury that inherently decrease one's marketability and, sometimes, health and capacities. If the idea is to offer public support to help someone get back on their feet, I don't see how preconditioning that aid with non-use of an illegal substance that harms one's ability to get back on their feet should be out of the question.

I didn't say it shouldn't be out of the question. However, I am not for punishing those with addictions and their families further by withholding money that they need from them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

All taxpayers can't get together and put up a list of what is acceptable and what isn't. So it would up to the government to decide what people can and can't eat, and i am no fan of that. weezyfb

I'm not a fan of government telling me what to do either, but in this case it's justified since they're receiving welfare.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its their food stamps... they spend it on food, food of their choiceweezyfb

All taxpayers can't get together and put up a list of what is acceptable and what isn't. So it would up to the government to decide what people can and can't eat, and i am no fan of that.

no, you can decide what you want to eat. providing you're working to be a contributing member of society. but if you're mooching off the government, they have every right to decide for you.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

linkin_guy109
i agree with this, i find it disgusting that people are using their foodstamps to help kill themselves

but that gets them off food stamps faster. :P No, honestly I haven't given this much thought, but my gut feeling is that if we disallowed junk food items from being bought with food stamps it would be an extra incentive to get off of food stamps.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
How about not being allowed to buy crazy expensive organic food? My idiot sister receives food stamps and complains to my mom that they still dont have enough food. How about getting off your high horse and stop buying food that is 2 to 4 times as expensive...... Also if people expect stamps and welfare, I think they should get drug tested. Don't break the governments rules and laws if you expect help.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 weezyfb
@ airschocker and starwarsj The USDA opposes a ban on food stamps for sodas, so they have decided it seems
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

airshocker

That would be a good idea if healthy food wasn't considerably more expensive than the junk food, especially in poverty stricken areas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That would be a good idea if healthy food wasn't considerably more expensive than the junk food, especially in poverty stricken areas.

sSubZerOo

Indeed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@ airschocker and starwarsj The USDA opposes a ban on food stamps for sodas, so they have decided it seemsweezyfb

I don't think food stamps is run through the USDA. I could be wrong, though.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

The plan didn't make much sense to me, according to the article it'd ban any drink that "contains more than ten calories per 8 ounces."

Which basically means you'd be able to purchase drinks containing artificial sweeteners... but the health benefits of drinking them are disputable.
Testing on rats have shown that when drinking 'diet' drinks, the rats gained weight just the same.
There's even tests showing that it affects humans as well.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

So, basically they'd be telling people they can have something that might be just as poisonous as what they're already drinking.... so long as the bottle says 'diet'.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="weezyfb"]@ airschocker and starwarsj The USDA opposes a ban on food stamps for sodas, so they have decided it seems

and thats how it should be
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its their food stamps... they spend it on food, food of their choiceairshocker

Our money? No, if that was the case then people would have their taxes going to what they wanted to support. "Oh I want all of my taxes to go to education and none to the military" or "Give my money to the military we need more guns". Once that money hits the government hands, you lose all say.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

sSubZerOo

Except for not actually being true, it is a tragedy.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="EntropyWins"]Yes drugs are a luxury only for the rich. EntropyWins

I didn't say it shouldn't be out of the question. However, I am not for punishing those with addictions and their families further by withholding money that they need from them.

If someone can afford drugs, they can afford to buy their own family food. If they can't afford to buy food and are receiving food stamps, they damn sure should not be buying or using drugs.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WhiteKnight77

no, you can decide what you want to eat. providing you're working to be a contributing member of society. but if you're mooching off the taxpayers, they have every right to decide for you.starwarsjunky

Fixed it for ya. The government gets it's funding from the taxpayers, hence those receiving welfare are mooching off of those who do work and pay federal taxes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

coolbeans90

Yes it is.. :roll: Its a well documented problem and has been so for a decade.. Lower income places not only have less access to healthier foods, but the said junk food is in fact MUCH cheaper than the healthy option.. Than put in the transportation problems the poor have to deal with, and they are at a severe disadvantage compared to the rest of people.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Yes it is.. :roll: Its a well documented problem and has been so for a decade.. Lower income places not only have less access to healthier foods, but the said junk food is in fact MUCH cheaper than the healthy option.. Than put in the transportation problems the poor have to deal with, and they are at a severe disadvantage compared to the rest of people.

Junk food (and especially fastfood) is f***ing expensive relative to cooking one's own food if they buy things that don't break bank -- period. Perhaps transportation is an issue, but that is a much more subtle problem than price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]no, you can decide what you want to eat. providing you're working to be a contributing member of society. but if you're mooching off the taxpayers, they have every right to decide for you.WhiteKnight77

Fixed it for ya. The government gets it's funding from the taxpayers, hence those receiving welfare are mooching off of those who do work and pay federal taxes.

Are you saying you don't believe in the dream and equal opportunity? These programs were meant for equal opportunity in giving the poor a certain standard of living while giving them options.. Just because some people abuse it doesn't suggest all of them do, nor do it suggest we should tear it down.. If anything the main problem are these programs are underfunded or poorly managed.. The Public education system is a prime example of this where poor inner city schools are dragging the country down in test scores due to being underfunded and often times overpopulated... The best outcome goal to be met is having these equal opportunity programs WORK instead of destroyed in which it helps bring up people to become successful and tax payers for the rest of their lives.. Its a win win scenerio that I don't see why any one would want to be against.. Especially when the United States catch phrase was built upon equal opportunity in which any one could pull themselves up from poverty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Junk food (and especially fastfood) is f***ing expensive relative to cooking one's own food if they buy things that don't break bank -- period. Perhaps transportation is an issue, but that is a much more subtle problem than price.

We are not just talking about premade food, but the products in general.. In poor areas, there is less choices and what few choices there are there is a significant wealth gap.. You seem to be set in mind that its entirely based upon laziness of the people...

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

We are not just talking about premade food, but the products in general.. In poor areas, there is less choices and what few choices there are there is a significant wealth gap.. You seem to be set in mind that its entirely based upon laziness of the people...

Well, obviously organic food is going to cost more than normal products, for instance. But in terms of health benefits, the significant health gains are made by not eating a ton of processed food, for starters. I imagine that grocery stores sell similar items nationwide. I didn't mention anything regarding laziness, mate. Please, just stick to the arguments.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

linkin_guy109

I love how when they show midnight grocery shopping with stamps on the big news, you see people filling carts with soda, bacon, and sugar-covered cereals....they proceed to spend the entire month's worth of money on junk food in one week
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

sSubZerOo

Are you saying you don't believe in the dream and equal opportunity? These programs were meant for equal opportunity in giving the poor a certain standard of living while giving them options.. Just because some people abuse it doesn't suggest all of them do, nor do it suggest we should tear it down.. If anything the main problem are these programs are underfunded or poorly managed.. The Public education system is a prime example of this where poor inner city schools are dragging the country down in test scores due to being underfunded and often times overpopulated... The best outcome goal to be met is having these equal opportunity programs WORK instead of destroyed in which it helps bring up people to become successful and tax payers for the rest of their lives.. Its a win win scenerio that I don't see why any one would want to be against.. Especially when the United States catch phrase was built upon equal opportunity in which any one could pull themselves up from poverty.

I have no qualms helping someone who is willing to help themselves and yes, that is what all those welfare programs are for. Now for those who do abuse the system, they need a wake up call and removed from the welfare rolls (those who use drugs is an example). I have had to use food stamps in the past due to not having a job, but as soon as I got a job, I would quit calling in to qualify for them. I can't stand having to ask others for help (pride) so would try find work as fast as possible. The longest I have been out of work is a year, but a mechanic without tools isn't hired very often so I did a career change. The company I went to work for even trained me for the work I was to do. To get food stamps, I had to do X hours a work for the county I live in (there is also an option of showing the places you went to look for work and applied for a job with). This is one way people can earn their food stamps and should be a requirement everywhere.

If someone is willing to make an effort, I don't mind helping them when they are down, but if they do not want to do what they need to succeed, then they do not deserve any help from you or me.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="markop2003"]Fair enough, sounds like the only complaints would be from the corn lobby due to the HFCS they use to sweeten themmajoras_wrath
Which is probably why this common sense ban won't be going into place.

you do know under this last administration expanded the use of food stamps to what most would consider luxury foods.... back in the early 90's i recall the sweetest cereal that could be purchased with food stamps was kix, now every sugar coated lard cube is covered. i dont play the politics game but that is deficient in mental thought.
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 EntropyWins

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Oh come on now. Illicit recreational drugs an illegal and costly luxury that inherently decrease one's marketability and, sometimes, health and capacities. If the idea is to offer public support to help someone get back on their feet, I don't see how preconditioning that aid with non-use of an illegal substance that harms one's ability to get back on their feet should be out of the question.WhiteKnight77

If someone can afford drugs, they can afford to buy their own family food. If they can't afford to buy food and are receiving food stamps, they damn sure should not be buying or using drugs.

Have you ever been addicted to heroin?
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EntropyWins

ad1x2

Guess you missed the stories of the numerous celebrities who had to face fines and/or jail time for drug use. Besides, for the many who get away with it, they're using their own money to buy them. On the other hand, when I was younger I knew of more than one person who would trade food stamps for cash and then use the cash to buy dope. I have a serious problem with that especially when it makes the people who don't abuse the system look bad.

Yea we barely have enough space in all our jails to hold all the rich people and upper middle class college kids who are arrested for abusing drugs (there are a lot of them). Drug busts in the inner city don't even make the news like your celebrities.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

The plan didn't make much sense to me, according to the article it'd ban any drink that "contains more than ten calories per 8 ounces."

Which basically means you'd be able to purchase drinks containing artificial sweeteners... but the health benefits of drinking them are disputable.
Testing on rats have shown that when drinking 'diet' drinks, the rats gained weight just the same.
There's even tests showing that it affects humans as well.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

So, basically they'd be telling people they can have something that might be just as poisonous as what they're already drinking.... so long as the bottle says 'diet'.

Baconbits2004

Then the people were replacing the calories elsewhere in their diet. Nutrient content has nothing to do with weight, it's all calorie and energy balance that determine body composition. Not that a 150 calorie can of soda would have any weight impact whatsoever. Overall dietary bad habits and OVERCONSUMPTION of foods healthy or not are what is making this country fat. I would be perfectly okay with people on welfare eating whatever they want. They're the ones that choose to make it fattening and unhealthy.