Usage of cell phones in libraries

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Do you think the use of cell phones in libraries should be banned ?

Someone argues that talking on the cell phones in libraries is not unlike talking to your friends in libraries, and if it's not prohibited then use of cell phone should be allowed too.

Personanlly, I never ever use cell phone in libraries (simply because I don't have one :) ) but I'm extremely annoyed when somebody talks on cell phones in libraries. Normally I'm polite and sensitive guy, I ignore them or tell them to stop gently and politely, but sometimes I call someone names if I see him/her talking on cell phones especially if he/she ignore my request.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Depends on what floor you are, and if you can talk quietly. Some libraries have designated study/quiet floors, so you shouldn't use your cell phone there. But in general, as long as you can do it quietly and without bothering others, it's not a big deal

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I think it matters more whether or not the person is having an obnoxiously loud conversation with the person on the other end as if they were talking across the entire library.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I think people need to realize they shouldn't be a nuisance to other.

I can understand a child calling his mother saying "Hi mom, I'm off from school. I'll wait for you in a library", a quick 60 second conversation. But...., talking louding, or for long periods I feel shouldn't be allowed. Surprises me grown adults need "rules" for basic manners.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

once a librarian chewed me out for checking my voice mail in the library, not that I was talking or anything but you might of guessed I was judging from the way they freaked out about it

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

People talk on the phone in libraries? I see everyone texting these days and using calls for emergencies or if something is urgent.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

It better be short or you are going to hear from me.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

And by that I mean shhhhhh-ing you and calling the librarian so he/she can inform you about the rules of decorum.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

go away with banning garbage.

its called not being rude

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

People can text all they like, just not make calls in communal areas. There should be dedicated rooms for people to take calls.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

I work at a library and its annoying as fuuuuuuuu... when someones phone starts ringing and they start talking on it. We seriously facepalm because people will be sitting right by the "No Cellphone" sign and theyll be like "AWW YEAH IM DOWN AT DA LIBARY ON DA COMPUTER!" Then theyll actually get mad when I tell them to go outside or stop talking. Then theres the people who sit at the computers or in the sitting area for hours and not put their phone on vibrate and I have to listen to their stupid ass notification sounds over and over. ITS A LIBRARY, NOONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR "IMPORTANT" CONVERSATIONS!

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

I'd always put my cell phone on vibrate and never talk on it in a library. I'd go outside first. And speaking of the vibrate you can still hear it and it's creepy sounding even though it's not loud. Maybe there's a vibrate mode on some cell that's really faint so you almost can't hear any of it. Haven't researched that yet.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Who still goes to a library these days?!