U.S. World War II strategy - was this the right call?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

If I remember correctly, during World War II, U.S. decision makers in the Roosevelt Administration decided during WWII to devote 20% of U.S. military resources to the Pacific front against Japan and 80% to the fight against Germany and Italy in Europe and Africa. Do you think this was the right decision?

Should the U.S. have diverted more resources to the Pacific Theater?

On the one hand, Germany seemed to be more of a strategic threat in the war and to be the most powerful Axis country (indeed, though I don't think the U.S. knew it, Germany was able to develop rocket technologies, which if done earlier could've been a serious threat). With Germany there was the risk that Germany could've perhaps defeated the Soviets and that they could've taken Egypt (gaining control of the Suez) and advanced into the Middle East gaining control of the oil fields.

Japan didn't seem capable of any major attack on the U.S., maybe some air-raids on the West Coast or air raids on Naval bases or oil fields (such as in Alaska).

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

If I remember correctly, during World War II, U.S. decision makers in the Roosevelt Administration decided during WWII to devote 20% of U.S. military resources to the Pacific front against Japan and 80% to the fight against Germany and Italy in Europe and Africa. Do you think this was the right decision?

On the one hand, Germany seemed to be more of a strategic threat in the war and to be the most powerful Axis country (indeed, though I don't think the U.S. knew it, Germany was able to develop rocket technologies, which if done earlier could've been a serious threat). With Germany there was the risk that Germany could've perhaps defeated the Soviets and that they could've taken Egypt (gaining control of the Suez) and advanced into the Middle East gaining control of the oil fields.

Japan didn't seem capable of any major attack on the U.S., maybe some air-raids on the West Coast or air raids on Naval bases or oil fields (such as in Alaska).

whipassmt

1 the war with germany started first.

2 japan was a much smaller threat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I think if more funding and focus was sent to the Pacific theater, we would have dropped two nukes on Germany instead of Japan.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

frannkzappa

1. Japan actually attacked us and was a threat to our Pacific interests.

2. By 1941, Japan controlled most of Southeast Asia and her navy and military both outsized our own, it was only later that our forces became vastly larger.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Squeets

2. By 1941, Japan controlled most of Southeast Asia and her navy and military both outsized our own, it was only later that our forces became vastly larger.

1 the war with Germany started first.

2 japan never had any intention of invading America and the pearl harbor incident was rather out of the blue.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Well, yea, we had to bail out all of our European allies. Plus, we had to rebuild much of our navy after pearl harbor. They did the right thing, obviously.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whipassmt

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Squeets

Yes but Japan couldn't have mounted a successful invasion of the U.S. mainland (though maybe they could've eventually knocked China out of the war), whereas Germany might've been able to knock the Soviets out of the war, gain control of the Middle-East oil fields, or possibly invade Britain or Greenland.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whipassmt

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

2 japan never had any intention of invading America and the pearl harbor incident was rather out of the blue.

As far as U.S. entry into the War goes, Japan attacked first, then the U.S. declared war, then Germany (and Italy) declared War on the U.S.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Yes but Japan couldn't have mounted a successful invasion of the U.S. mainland (though maybe they could've eventually knocked China out of the war), whereas Germany might've been able to knock the Soviets out of the war, gain control of the Middle-East oil fields, or possibly invade Britain or Greenland.whipassmt
China was barely in the war. If I remember correctly they were in the middle of a civil war at the time (democracy vs communism). Not sure though.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

1. With Europe.

2. Pacific interests aren't just the US West Coast.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whipassmt

I think if more funding and focus was sent to the Pacific theater, we would have dropped two nukes on Germany instead of Japan.

jimkabrhel

Possibly. Though the Dresden bombing was bad enough (indeed I would say it was an atrocity/war crime), and Rome shouldn't have been bombed, and the U.S. shouldn't have bombed Monte Cassino.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Squeets

1. With Europe.

1... and america.

2 there were far more US interests in Europe then in Asia.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Germany did declared war on the US so I'd say so.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] Yes but Japan couldn't have mounted a successful invasion of the U.S. mainland (though maybe they could've eventually knocked China out of the war), whereas Germany might've been able to knock the Soviets out of the war, gain control of the Middle-East oil fields, or possibly invade Britain or Greenland.wolverine4262
China was barely in the war. If I remember correctly they were in the middle of a civil war at the time (democracy vs communism). Not sure though.

There was a civil war in China between the Communists and the Kuomintang (Guomindang), I'm not sure though if those two sides fought each other in addition to fighting the Japanese, or if they had a truce at that time. I think Chinese fighting against Japan may have mostly been guerilla warfare, with the U.S. and Britain sending supplies to the Chinese and also engaging Japanese forces in air to air combat.

I don't know if the Kuomintang were democrats though, they were nationalists.

I think the Chinese front was more of a minor one than a strategic one for the U.S., but it helped tie down Japanese troops and other assets that could've otherwise been used in the Pacific Theater.

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
If the Germans defeated the Soviets the war would have been over. The Allies (after Pearl Harbour) couldn't defeat 20% of Germany's armed forces, how would they have coped with 100%? Not very well is my guess.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

1. With Europe.

1... and america.

Germany was at war in Europe since 1939... They didn't declare war on the United States until a few days after Pearl Harbor... On December 11, 1941.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

1. With Europe.

Squeets

1... and america.

Germany was at war in Europe since 1939... They didn't declare war on the United States until a few days after Pearl Harbor... On December 11, 1941.

declaration means nothing. the US were fighting Germany before japan bombed pearl harbor.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

If the Germans defeated the Soviets the war would have been over. The Allies (after Pearl Harbour) couldn't defeat 20% of Germany's armed forces, how would they have coped with 100%? Not very well is my guess.Englandfc1966

Stalin had considered surrendering to Hitlers for a few fleeting moments, but was talked out of it. 

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 whipassmt

If the Germans defeated the Soviets the war would have been over. The Allies (after Pearl Harbour) couldn't defeat 20% of Germany's armed forces, how would they have coped with 100%? Not very well is my guess.Englandfc1966
If the Germans had defeated the Soviets it would've been hard for the allies to defeat Germany, yes. But It would've still been difficult for the Germans to defeat the Western allies as well, the English Channel prevented the Germans from being able to Blitzkrieg Germany. I think the Brits probably had a stronger Navy and the British still had the various colonies from which to get materials and colonial troops.

In order for Germany to successfully invade Britain they would've needed naval and aerial superiority (maybe even air supremacy), if Germany did not have air superiority any invading force they tried to send across the channel would've probably been sunk from the air.

Not to mention that the U.S. would've been very difficult to invade due to its size, population, variety of terrains and climates, and distance from Europe, and the U.S. had such Industrial capability and a large amount of farm land that we and population that we could recruit and supply vast armies with relative ease, especially when all these farms and factories and population centers were out of the reach of the Axis powers ability to attack them.

Also The Third Reich and Imperial Japan were just such evil entities (look at their policies), that they couldn't have lasted. They had to have fallen.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whipassmt

[QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]If the Germans defeated the Soviets the war would have been over. The Allies (after Pearl Harbour) couldn't defeat 20% of Germany's armed forces, how would they have coped with 100%? Not very well is my guess.WhiteKnight77

Stalin had considered surrendering to Hitlers for a few fleeting moments, but was talked out of it.

Interesting, I hadn't known that. I did learn, that when the Nazis initially invaded the USSR, a lot of the people in the USSR supported or at least cheered on the invading forces for various reasons (the ethnic minorities like the Ukrainians hoped for more autonomy, Christians hoped that they could get their churches back, peasants hoped that the collective farms would be abolished and they could regain their old family farmland), though many of them eventually began to support the USSR after realizing that the Nazis didn't liberate them and in deed the Nazis were also oppressive towards these people.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#21 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

more like provoked, even roosevelt said so.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whipassmt

I think the basic strategy was to take down the Axis in the following order: 1. Italy (they were the weakest and the easiest to knock out of the war and doing so would deprive Germany of their main European ally) 2. Germany (the biggest threat) 3. Japan

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhiteKnight77

My thoughts.

One could say WWII started with the invasion of Manchuria and then attacking further into China which resulted with the Rape of Nanking and one could say that Germany started their war with the annexation of Austria even though no shots were fired. It was made even worse when England and France let Hitler annex the Sudatenland in Czechoslovakia. 

Still, once the US entered, they did what they had to do the way they did until production could be ramped up (and people wonder why we need such a large military today, we didn't have much of one nor the industry though it had been previously kickstarted due to lend-lease) to meet the needs of a two theater war. Since we already had aircraft and vehicular construction moving and were able to get more of those vehicles out faster compared to ships, it made sense to use the Germany first doctrine.

Now, we had a few battles in the Pacific during that time, but we were really short on ships, especially with the the loss of ships at Pearl. The one good thing we had were the 4 carriers at the onset, but we needed more, as well as other ships including cargo ships which would be needed in mass compared to actual combatant ships. So we put our subs out as well as the carrier groups we had and took back a few atolls here and there as well as Midway. We almost ran out of ships again during the Solomon Islands action of Gualdalcanal, but once we won the island, we needed to keep pressure on the Japanese and Nimitz and others knew that and kept pressing for more war materiel and got it, even though we still had the Germany first doctrine in place. It would have been foolish to let the Japanese the ability to regroup for not continuing to hound them and keep taking back islands on the way to Japan.

Still, due to the size of the theater, it was going to take longer for us to beat our way across the Pacific. As to what percentage of forces needed to be allocated to each theater, I can't say, but what were used worked out just fine.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

frannkzappa

Are you a fvcking moron?
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whipassmt

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

lightleggy

more like provoked, even roosevelt said so.

Yeah, I think it was the U.S. embargo that provoked Japan. Japan was expanding their empire, including a big invasion of China, and the U.S. embargoed crucial items (rubber, oil, certain metals), that Japan needed in order to continue their wars, thus Japan decided to make a desperate gamble: wipe out the U.S. fleet in Hawaii and seize the Phillipines and other areas (like the European colonies in Indochina) to use as sources of the embargoed supplies and then hope to negotiate a peace between the U.S. and Japan while the U.S. was weakened.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whipassmt

My thoughts.

One could say WWII started with the invasion of Manchuria and then attacking further into China which resulted with the Rape of Nanking and one could say that Germany started their war with the annexation of Austria even though no shots were fired. It was made even worse when England and France let Hitler annex the Sudatenland in Czechoslovakia.

Still, once the US entered, they did what they had to do the way they did until production could be ramped up (and people wonder why we need such a large military today, we didn't have much of one nor the industry though it had been previously kickstarted due to lend-lease) to meet the needs of a two theater war. Since we already had aircraft and vehicular construction moving and were able to get more of those vehicles out faster compared to ships, it made sense to use the Germany first doctrine.

Now, we had a few battles in the Pacific during that time, but we were really short on ships, especially with the the loss of ships at Pearl. The one good thing we had were the 4 carriers at the onset, but we needed more, as well as other ships including cargo ships which would be needed in mass compared to actual combatant ships. So we put our subs out as well as the carrier groups we had and took back a few atolls here and there as well as Midway. We almost ran out of ships again during the Solomon Islands action of Gualdalcanal, but once we won the island, we needed to keep pressure on the Japanese and Nimitz and others knew that and kept pressing for more war materiel and got it, even though we still had the Germany first doctrine in place. It would have been foolish to let the Japanese the ability to regroup for not continuing to hound them and keep taking back islands on the way to Japan.

Still, due to the size of the theater, it was going to take longer for us to beat our way across the Pacific. As to what percentage of forces needed to be allocated to each theater, I can't say, but what were used worked out just fine.

WhiteKnight77

I think the overall strategy was 80% of resources to the fight against Germany and 20% against Japan, though I imagine it probably fluctuated from time to time (for instance if we were planning a major offensive in one theater we may have shifted resources, though maybe we didn't). Also I think the European/African front had more Army involvement (including the Army Air corps) while the Pacific Front had more Navy and Marine involvement (though I think the Army was involved in the China, Indochina front and the Phillipines battles and the Navy was probably involved in the amphibious landing campaigns like the invasions of N.Africa, Sicily and Normandy).

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

whipassmt

Interesting, I hadn't known that. I did learn, that when the Nazis initially invaded the USSR, a lot of the people in the USSR supported or at least cheered on the invading forces for various reasons (the ethnic minorities like the Ukrainians hoped for more autonomy, Christians hoped that they could get their churches back, peasants hoped that the collective farms would be abolished and they could regain their old family farmland), though many of them eventually began to support the USSR after realizing that the Nazis didn't liberate them and in deed the Nazis were also oppressive towards these people.

I first alluded to that fact last year in the Why did Germany lose World War 2? and What if Germany had won World War 2? threads with the John Mosier book, Deathride.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

00-Riddick-00

Are you a fvcking moron?

how so?

The US were actively attacking German assets before pearl harbor.

There was far more at stake in terms of US assets in Europe than in Asia.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

Are you a fvcking moron?

how so?

That does not make it a war. Now does it?
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]Are you a fvcking moron?frannkzappa

how so?

Which assests? If you mean U-boats, only if the U-boats were attacking US assets and Hitler expressly forbid the attacks of US warships though one was sunk. 

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

I would say so, With the Pacific it was a large area, but mostly ocean so you don't need to allocate that many resouces. Europe is a large part land so you need bombers and fighters to cover the bombers, tanks, a larger number of troops. 

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"] Are you a fvcking moron?00-Riddick-00

how so?

That does not make it a war. Now does it?

yes it does. we were both militarily engaged with each other.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]Are you a fvcking moron?WhiteKnight77

how so?

Which assests? If you mean U-boats, only if the U-boats were attacking US assets and Hitler expressly forbid the attacks of US warships though one was sunk.

i'm talking about the US actively destroying U-boats and other German naval hardware.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Yes as it helped free up our allies to cooperatively take on Germany and minimize future US casualties.

And its really hard to say we had a majority of our forces focused on Europe (your 80 to 20 ratio) when they were two completely different wars requiring different resources.

Europe & Africa were almost completely land based theaters of war, and the Pacific primarily naval and coastal fighting.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the real enemy should of been the soviet union

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 frannkzappa

Flubbbs

well we did spend the next 50 or so years on them.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the germans were the bigger threat.

they were in no way "close" to the atom bomb but they were actively working on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4598955.stm

atom bomb + german rocketry skill = bad news.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Flubbbs

patton wanted to go after them soooo bad too.

At the end of World War II, one of America's top military leaders accurately assessed the shift in the balance of world power which that war had produced and foresaw the enormous danger of communist aggression against the West. Alone among U.S. leaders he warned that America should act immediately, while her supremacy was unchallengeable

http://rense.com/general85/pats.htm

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4275 Posts

Hmm good question and a tough call. But I say we ended up with "victory" right? I know hindsight is 20/20, so I think any discussion would have to be looked at subjectively, like a person who lived in those times.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whipassmt

Flubbbs

Though they did not attack the U.S., so it would've been harder to justify a war against them. However, towards the end of World War II, the U.S. and Britain did try to minimize Soviet influence, mainly by making sure that certain countries (Churchill felt very strongly on keeping Greece free from the Soviets) were under U.S or British influence, not Soviet influence.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Riverwolf007

At the end of World War II, one of America's top military leaders accurately assessed the shift in the balance of world power which that war had produced and foresaw the enormous danger of communist aggression against the West. Alone among U.S. leaders he warned that America should act immediately, while her supremacy was unchallengeable

Still, Stalin's actions played a part in the downfall of the USSR and the end of the Cold War. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The situation was more dire in Europe.  If the remaining European powers fell, they would have been in big trouble.  Plus, the US was aiding England even before open hostilities broke out.  Roosevelt and Churchill had a very good relationship, so that was inevitable.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 whipassmt

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Riverwolf007

Interesting read. I do think that we should've let Patton occupy those territories before the Soviets got there, especially if there was no significant German force defending those areas (though once it became apparent that Germany was going to lose, many German soldiers fought fiercely against the Soviets but fled or deserted when the U.S. or British were advancing, because the Germans wanted to make sure that most of Germany was under U.S. or British occupation, not Soviet occupation).

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 whipassmt

The situation was more dire in Europe. If the remaining European powers fell, they would have been in big trouble. Plus, the US was aiding England even before open hostilities broke out. Roosevelt and Churchill had a very good relationship, so that was inevitable.

sonicare

Yeah. If Hitler did defeat the Soviets he would of had access to resources in the Caucasus, though an invasion of Britain would've been very difficult (though a U-boat blockade could do grievous harm to Britain). I think the knockout blow to Britain that would be more feasible for the Nazis would've been getting into the Middle-East and controlling the oil.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="whipassmt"] Yes but Japan couldn't have mounted a successful invasion of the U.S. mainland (though maybe they could've eventually knocked China out of the war), whereas Germany might've been able to knock the Soviets out of the war, gain control of the Middle-East oil fields, or possibly invade Britain or Greenland.wolverine4262

I wouldn't call "Nationalist China" a Democracy. It was more Fascist than anything. Infact the "President" was VERY interested in how Nazi Germany ran and even hired German officials to train the Military.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

Are you a fvcking moron?

how so?

The Japanese and the Soviet Union fought a HUGE battle at Nohomon and there was no state of war in between the two.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Japan was a much smaller threat to the US and its allies. Also the Japanese army wasn't nearly as well equipped or dangerous as the Nazis were. They had the advantage of fortifications on islands, but the actual army wasn't nearly the threat the Nazis were. The Japanese navy was the real threat but the US navy and the shear size of the Pacific ocean really minimized that threat.

Also without diverting tons of supplies to the western theater, there was a very real possibility that the Soviets would have fallen and the Nazis would have gained control of the Middle Eastern and Russian oil supplies. 

The British did a damn fine job of stopping Rommel from getting to the bulk of the oil in the Middle East. If the Brits would have failed in Egypt at El Alamein, it would have been a much different war.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"] Are you a fvcking moron?lordreaven

how so?

The Japanese and the Soviet Union fought a HUGE battle at Nohomon and there was no state of war in between the two.

that was one event not a continual state.

liberalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 liberalus
Member since 2013 • 791 Posts

should have never been invovled in the war in th 1st place

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 frannkzappa

tell that to pearl harbour and the Nazi take over of mainland Europe...