US Cancer Charities Misuse $187M For Luxury Cars And Cruises

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

In one of the largest charity fraud accusations in US history, four cancer charities allegedly used $187m of donations to buy concert tickets, cars, luxury cruises and even dating website memberships (it’s easy to see how they would struggle to settle down when they’re that morally bankrupt).

In a press release from the Federal Trade Commission, they explained the money was used on:

Cars, trips, luxury cruises, college tuition, gym memberships, jet ski outings, sporting event and concert tickets, and dating site memberships. They hired professional fundraisers who often received 85 percent or more of every donation

As a result three culprits — Rose Perkins, James Reynolds II and Kyle Effler – have agreed a settlement that prohibits them from participating in any future fundraising activity. Children’s Cancer Fund of America and the Breast Cancer Society will also be dissolved as part of the agreement. Cancer Fund of America and Cancer Support Services, are yet to reach a settlement.

Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection said:

The defendants took in millions of dollars in donations meant to help cancer patients, but spent it on themselves and their fundraisers. I’m pleased that the FTC and our state partners are acting to end this appalling scheme

Surely there should be harsher punishments than just dissolving the company and banning the culprits from fundraising. They are effectively getting away with murder. Lives could have been saved with that money and they will walk away scot-free.

http://www.unilad.co.uk/articles/us-cancer-charities-misuse-187m-for-concerts-and-dating-sites-ftc/

Seriously wtf ...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

This is one of those cases where I try really hard to feel shocked and can't.

This is shameful behaviour and here I thought that stealing, losing their job but keeping the money was reserved to politicians...

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mjorh

@korvus said:

This is shameful behaviour and here I thought that stealing, losing their job but keeping the money was reserved to politicians...

It's just heart-breaking for me ... pathetic !

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@mjorh: I agree...there's stealing and there's stealing...if this is not as low as you can get, it's close enough. Not to mention that cancer is one of the few charities that people still trust and participate in...not only was this a blow for all the people who could have been helped with this money but it's also a blow for future legitimate charities...

Right now all that's left is to hear that St. Jude Children's Hospital has been doing the same...

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I bet republicans defend this.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@thegerg said:

Why not just let them enjoy the cruise. It's not like cancer is going anywhere anytime soon, it'll still be there when they get back.

Quiet time now gergs

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjorh

@korvus said:

@mjorh: I agree...there's stealing and there's stealing...if this is not as low as you can get, it's close enough. Not to mention that cancer is one of the few charities that people still trust and participate in...not only was this a blow for all the people who could have been helped with this money but it's also a blow for future legitimate charities...

Right now all that's left is to hear that St. Jude Children's Hospital has been doing the same...

Yeah , I'm afraid this will persuade ppl from doing anything related to charity ... this is my biggest concern.

@thegerg said:

Why not just let them enjoy the cruise. It's not like cancer is going anywhere anytime soon, it'll still be there when they get back.

LMAO!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

these people should be skinned alive.

all of the good that much money could have potentially done...

don't these charities have to show ( on tax forms or whatever ) a record of their incomes / donations / expenses?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I can reasonably predict that the remaining cancer charities shall be scrutinized, greatly, because of this.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I don't understand how this isn't fraud punishable by jail/fines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Nice find, this is appalling

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Well at least they didn't launder the money to ISIS.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

only a small amount of money raised for charity actually has to go to the cause, and that's for many that aren't doing anything "illegal" in the eyes of those that are supposed to be keeping an eye on them, like 90-95% can go toward administrative costs, so like paying the salaries of those in charge, hiring their wives and children to work on board, funneling money into costs of running business to other businesses run by the charity heads themselves as well, so many ways to get rich by pretending to be philanthropic

charities also hire services of people who go fundraise, who themselves are only involved with the causes as much as they're just raising money and collecting a commission, which ends up being a huge lions share of the money as well, so while those people on the streets carrying folders might get you to donate $10, they're taking home $4 of that, their charity pimp gets $4, the starving kids in Africa you paid $10 to get fed only get $2 if they're lucky

for these reasons, I don't donate to charities, I'd rather give a few bucks to homeless people I see on the street

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Scum

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

These is why I don't donate. Billions of dollars and nothing ever seems to get done. I mean, i'll donate to individuals, but not huge entities.

These fuckers deserve the worst kind of cancer.

@Renevent42 said:

We already know how fucked the justice system is.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mjorh

@Renevent42 said:

That's what i wonder...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

only a small amount of money raised for charity actually has to go to the cause, and that's for many that aren't doing anything "illegal" in the eyes of those that are supposed to be keeping an eye on them, like 90-95% can go toward administrative costs, so like paying the salaries of those in charge, hiring their wives and children to work on board, funneling money into costs of running business to other businesses run by the charity heads themselves as well, so many ways to get rich by pretending to be philanthropic

charities also hire services of people who go fundraise, who themselves are only involved with the causes as much as they're just raising money and collecting a commission, which ends up being a huge lions share of the money as well, so while those people on the streets carrying folders might get you to donate $10, they're taking home $4 of that, their charity pimp gets $4, the starving kids in Africa you paid $10 to get fed only get $2 if they're lucky

for these reasons, I don't donate to charities, I'd rather give a few bucks to homeless people I see on the street

Shouldn't this tell us that there are something wrong with how the whole system works for charity? I would expect 80-90% of the money I give to actually reach and help the cause for which I gave it for.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

The worst part about this is that they get away with it scot free. They should be in prison.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@korvus said:

Oh, Korvus. You need to read the news more. Just saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@mattbbpl: You're definitely right. I'm aware that I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people in OT in regards to current events.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Loading Video...

This will make you guys hurl even more.. Over 10 billion dollars in "aid" misused..

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjorh

@sSubZerOo said:
Loading Video...

This will make you guys hurl even more.. Over 10 billion dollars in "aid" misused..

The world is rotten to the core ... sigh....

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@korvus said:

Yeah well said.

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZombieVirolina
Member since 2013 • 861 Posts

@mjorh: I hope they go after Susan G. Komen next.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

in the long run who will ever care or know?

gandhi killed his wife and and nobody gave a shit so what is little embezzlement compared to that.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

And this is why I never donate, see I knew these fundraisers were a scam, my instincts were right.

And I agree the Justice System seems much too flawed, hey here's an idea, send these scumbags to prison, and let many prisoners that have done petty or not that bad for crimes, (and have possibly faced unfair trials) free.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

That's pretty despicable and puts a bad image on legit charities. Though I am not suprised I've heard of care workers abusing elderly, disabled and mentally handicapped people.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

same deal with all the major charities, even in denmark

one of our charity organizations here (Kræftens Bekæmpelse/Fighting Cancer) is one of the most powerful companies in our country (equalling fucking LEGO), but the general public is utterly ignorant of this fact

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Not really sure why people are surprised. There are tons of charities that are scams. Hell most charities don't even have half the funds they take in actually go to 'charitable' services. They're freaking businesses for the most part.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Shame on them. Fucking greedy little bastards deserve prison and all their fun toys taken away from them.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I can't think of finer candidates to enjoy an all expenses paid trip straight to hell.

Actually I can, but shit like this is just despicable. People place their trust in these organizations to get the job done and actually help make a difference to a disease that frankly should be curable by now, instead we have these worthless bags of meat ruining it for the rest of mankind.

We need a great cleansing on the many blights that infect this world.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

How magnanimous of them. Also, what kind of a farcical punishment is that?

As sordid as this affair is, one aspect that particularly caught my attention is the part about professional fundraisers receiving 85% of whatever they raise. Ethical argument aside, how is this legal? they're practically raising money for themselves.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@mjorh: When will you post about fun news for once :(

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mjorh

@dylandr said:

@mjorh: When will you post about fun news for once :(

We've got enough fun topics :D But i will think of sth funny ...

And such news need to be discussed , it's a critical issue.

@GazaAli said:

How magnanimous of them. Also, what kind of a farcical punishment is that?

As sordid as this affair is, one aspect that particularly caught my attention is the part about professional fundraisers receiving 85% of whatever they raise. Ethical argument aside, how is this legal? they're practically raising money for themselves.

I'm wondering why there's no investigation on such organizations , i mean who's monitoring them ?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

As far as the penalties being too light, they reached a settlement and settlements usually involve lighter penalties.

Charities do have to meet their operating expenses: they have to pay their employees and provide them with benefits (charities should provide their employees with a decent income and benefits, but the employees shouldn't get rich off of it), pay for utilities, maintenance/repairs (physical facilities, and online presence), supplies (food, medicine), rent. They should also save up some money for lean years or emergencies, from what I've read about 3 years worth of operating expenses at maximum should be saved, groups that save up more than that aren't using their money to do as much good as they should. Cruises and concert tickets may be ways for charities to raise funds but it seems like this is not the case in the story. People in charitable groups should use that money to perform good works in line with the purpose of the group, not to get rich or to live the high life off of the donors' money.

Another issue is that sometimes charities may be involved in activities that some donors may have moral/ethical issues with and not be very forthright about it, or they may partner with or fund other groups. For example last summer the Ice Bucket Challenge was a pretty big thing that raised money for the ALS society of America (ALSA), but there were some concerns with whether ALSA funded research involving human embryonic stem cells. ALSA said that the Ice Bucket money did not fund embryonic stem cell research, they only had one program which funded that and that was done at donor request. However some people still had concerns about donating to ALSA, so - at least in the case of one Catholic high school - they did an Ice Bucket challenge and sent the donations to the John Paul II medical research institute (JP2MRI) which funds medical research without using embryonic cells. During that period JP2MRI said that donors could earmark money specifically towards ALS research.

@ZombieVirolina said:

@mjorh: I hope they go after Susan G. Komen next.

Komen is actually a decent example of one organization that donates to other groups. There has been some controversy over Komen because it donates money to Planned Parenthood, which PP is supposed to use to provide breast screenings but PP by and large only performs manual breast screenings while many other places perform mammograms which can detect tumors much earlier. Of course because of Planned Parenthood's involvement in abortion, Komen's involvement with PP has alienated many potential Komen donors and has caused some Komen employees to quit upon finding this out (specifically I saw on tv a woman who was Komen's Latino outreach coordinator who quit after finding out that the Komen organization had donated to PP).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Takes a special kind of dirtbag to embezzle from a cancer charity. Seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

And this is why I never and will never believe in charities.