Ubuntu 10.04 - Anyone Using It?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Are there any Ubuntu 10.04 users out there? If so, what do you think about it? I just got it installed, and I'm liking it so far. It does kill me that there are so few programs installed out of the box - no Gimp, what?!?! - but it's still a really nice OS.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="savebattery"]I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.

I was having a hell of a time with a USB 802.11 adapter when I was running 7.10, but I installed 10.04, and it picked it right up and configured it for me. I'm dual-booting Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 using Wubi, and it's fantastic to have both. I'm actually thinking that I might start using Ubuntu as my day-to-day OS and just use Windows when I need to use it.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 savebattery
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="savebattery"]I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.

I was having a hell of a time with a USB 802.11 adapter when I was running 7.10, but I installed 10.04, and it picked it right up and configured it for me. I'm dual-booting Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 using Wubi, and it's fantastic to have both. I'm actually thinking that I might start using Ubuntu as my day-to-day OS and just use Windows when I need to use it.

Wubi is nice, but it does have a bit slower performance than a standard install. If you're going to use it for day to day use, I recommend defragmenting your Windows install regularly. In the future, you should consider moving Ubuntu to a dedicated partition.
Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

Ubuntu 10.04 is fantastic but I'm running Fedora 13 right now.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="savebattery"]I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.

Wubi is nice, but it does have a bit slower performance than a standard install. If you're going to use it for day to day use, I recommend defragmenting your Windows install regularly. In the future, you should consider moving Ubuntu to a dedicated partition.

I didn't want to mess with the hassle of having a separate partition if I decided in the future that I wanted to go back to Windows exclusively. Wubi is good, because I can take a few months or as long as I want and use it. If I decide in the future that I'm definitely keeping it, then I can go back later and do a real install.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I am using it right now. I upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit so I lost my software but the transition has been smooth. I'm loving the boot time and the stability of 10.04.

I tried Kubuntu and Fedoro but KDE made me want to break something. I prefer GNOME's simplicity and style.

Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

I am using it right now. I upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit so I lost my software but the transition has been smooth. I'm loving the boot time and the stability of 10.04.

I tried Kubuntu and Fedoro but KDE made me want to break something. I prefer GNOME's simplicity and style.

Tezcatlipoca666

I know how you feel. :P

I use KDE at work when I have to do some web stuff because I find that KDE handles that a bit better. Other than that, I can't stand KDE at all.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jalexbrown

Tezcatlipoca666
Yeah, I don't like KDE as much as Gnome. Right now I'm running the basic Gnome desktop with the Clearlooks theme and Cairo-Dock.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jalexbrown
Does anyone know how to turn off the desktop bubbles in Ubuntu 10.04? Like the ones that pop up when Rhythmbox changes tracks or when your internet disconnects?
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jalexbrown
Does anyone know how to turn off the desktop bubbles in Ubuntu 10.04? Like the ones that pop up when Rhythmbox changes tracks or when your internet disconnects?jalexbrown
Nevermind, I figured it out. I just had to go in and rename a file to get rid of them.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I have Kubuntu 10.04 installed (it's just Kubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome) but the stupid thing installed graphics drivers that don't seem to work so now I get a black screen whenever I use it.
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
Loving it.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I've installed it since day one on a separate partition (dual booting Ubuntu and Windows XP).

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

I installed it a few days ago. Dual booting win 7 and ubuntu. So far I am impressed it is really easy to use.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.savebattery
I have been in the mood to try (on a more serious level) a flavor of Unix. Which OS do you recommend?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Are there any Ubuntu 10.04 users out there? If so, what do you think about it? I just got it installed, and I'm liking it so far. It does kill me that there are so few programs installed out of the box - no Gimp, what?!?! - but it's still a really nice OS.

jalexbrown

You should take a look into the Post Your Desktop threads every now and then. You'll notice the Ubuntu users. 8)

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS since 8.04. I have flirted with some other OSes like Puppy, Kubuntu, and OpenSUSE. So far Ubuntu feels the best to me, I'm not a big fan of KDE. Although I still have some KDE on my GNOME desktop for Amarok, I just haven't found a GNOME player that works like Amarok does.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Sorry i have no clue what you're talking about..:(

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="savebattery"]I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.jalexbrown

Blah, I paid for Windows 7 recently after deciding that Windows Vista annoys me too much and Ubuntu is awesome but lacks support and compatibility. Luckily there are a few older machines in the family that I will give the Ubuntu treatment!

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

No, what is it?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hexagon_777

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Go here. Now.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Hexagon_777

Go here. Now.

Oh i see thank you..

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hexagon_777

No, what is it?

CHOASXIII

You go here. Now. Too.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Coincidentally, I started downloading it a few minutes ago.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

jalexbrown

I don't understand why people complain about programs not coming with the os. I mean you can just download them later, it has the exact same effect.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]Are there any Ubuntu 10.04 users out there? If so, what do you think about it? I just got it installed, and I'm liking it so far. It does kill me that there are so few programs installed out of the box - no Gimp, what?!?! - but it's still a really nice OS.cain006
I don't understand why people complain about programs not coming with the os. I mean you can just download them later, it has the exact same effect.

The Ubuntu Software Centre makes it especially easy to boot. :)

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
im actually installing it right now o.O
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777

Strangely nice to have some people in this thread actually downloading or installing Ubuntu at this very moment. I expect to see more Ubuntu users in future Post Your Desktop threads.

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

used it once before but had a bunch of problems with it. I dont mind it but just wasnt feeling it. My friend uses it exclusively on his netbook. I use mac osx, so i reall have no reason for linux.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
I am going to build a music server, and was thinking of this since I don't feel like paying for another copy of Windows. Is this the route to go? Also, any suggestions for software to use? I have only used iTunes for music.
DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DOS4dinner
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Been using Ubuntu since 8.04; 10.04 is fantastic. I now boot WinXP once every three months when I need to run somehting windows exclusive. This is becoming rare though, as Wine's compatibility has become pretty good over the years.

I don't know why, but the fact that hovering over a music file will begin to play it without another program still impresses me. That and compiling programs from source.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 savebattery
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]I am going to build a music server, and was thinking of this since I don't feel like paying for another copy of Windows. Is this the route to go? Also, any suggestions for software to use? I have only used iTunes for music.

Mythbuntu is Ubuntu specifically designed for multimedia applications. It has a focus on video content, but it is very suitable for music as well.
xFL4WL3SSx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xFL4WL3SSx
Member since 2009 • 1018 Posts

I've been using it for the past 2 months, loving it so far, I will post a picture of my desktop once I get home, I'm posting from work right now.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 savebattery

[QUOTE="savebattery"]I'm using it myself. I've been using Linux since 2004, and Ubuntu since 2005. I've also used Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu variants, and some non-Linux UNIX operating systems like OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. If you need any help configuring it, feel free to let me know.entropyecho

I have been in the mood to try (on a more serious level) a flavor of Unix. Which OS do you recommend?

Ubuntu is the way to go. It's very compatible, very stable, very well-supported, and very easy to use.
DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DOS4dinner

I am going to build a music server, and was thinking of this since I don't feel like paying for another copy of Windows. Is this the route to go? Also, any suggestions for software to use? I have only used iTunes for music.Engrish_Major

There's several good ones; Amarok and Banshee are pretty popular. See This Brilliant Table.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Engrish_Major
Mythbuntu is Ubuntu specifically designed for multimedia applications. It has a focus on video content, but it is very suitable for music as well. savebattery
Cool. I was also wondering about things such as audio and video card drivers, CD/DVD burning software, etc... are there problems getting these things to work?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Engrish_Major

See This Brilliant Table.

DOS4dinner
Bookmarked!
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 savebattery
[QUOTE="savebattery"]Mythbuntu is Ubuntu specifically designed for multimedia applications. It has a focus on video content, but it is very suitable for music as well. Engrish_Major
Cool. I was also wondering about things such as audio and video card drivers, CD/DVD burning software, etc... are there problems getting these things to work?

Almost all flavors of Ubuntu will come with Brasero, which is a very good burning suite. Shouldn't have any issues there. As for video card drivers, Ubuntu comes with very good generic video drivers. Just about the only thing they won't handle out of the box is 3D acceleration. If you want that, you'll have to install specific drivers. If you have an Nvidia card the Restricted Drivers Manager will pop up and tell you which one to install. If you have ATI, you'll have to do it manually, which isn't really too difficult. And as the poster above suggested, Amarok is a really nice media player.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I've been using Debian since 2004. I love Debian-based distros but hate Red Hat-based ones. I use Windows XP only for some games but my main OS is Linux and I don't have plans to go back to Windows ever again.
DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DOS4dinner

[QUOTE="savebattery"]Mythbuntu is Ubuntu specifically designed for multimedia applications. It has a focus on video content, but it is very suitable for music as well. Engrish_Major

Ubuntu is very compatible, and most stuff works Out of the Box(R). Video cards aren't usually an issue, and most sound cards are supported (Soundblasters work flawlessly from my experience). For DVD/CD stuff, K3B is your best friend (And free!)

If you post your specs, I can give an estimate of if you would have any trouble. If you do have any problems, The Ubuntu Forums are extremely helpful. Most helpful people on the internet IMO.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 scorch-62
Coincidentally, I started downloading it a few minutes ago.scorch-62
. . . and, just my luck! My computer refuses to do anything with it. There are now two Dell products in my house I wish to beat repeatedly with a sledgehammer.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="DOS4dinner"]

Ubuntu is very compatible, and most stuff works Out of the Box(R). Video cards aren't usually an issue, and most sound cards are supported (Soundblasters work flawlessly from my experience). For DVD/CD stuff, K3B is your best friend (And free!)

If you post your specs, I can give an estimate of if you would have any trouble. If you do have any problems, The Ubuntu Forums are extremely helpful. Most helpful people on the internet IMO.

Sounds great. I haven't purchased most of it yet - I just upgraded my regular PC so now I have an extra processor (Core2Duo E6750) and mobo (EVGA 680i) that I was going to use as the starting point. I need to buy case, harddrive, sound card, video card, etc.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bededog
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Coincidentally, I started downloading it a few minutes ago.scorch-62
. . . and, just my luck! My computer refuses to do anything with it. There are now two Dell products in my house I wish to beat repeatedly with a sledgehammer.

Refuses to do anything with it? Could you explain the problem a bit more so we could potentially help? Dell usually has decent Linux support, they even have some boxes that come with Ubuntu preloaded.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 scorch-62
[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="scorch-62"]Coincidentally, I started downloading it a few minutes ago.bededog

Refuses to do anything with it? Could you explain the problem a bit more so we could potentially help? Dell usually has decent Linux support, they even have some boxes that come with Ubuntu preloaded.

Well, first of all, it won't let me have access to the BIOS to alter the boot order so I could run the installation directly off of my USB. Even then, my computer won't open up the installation file so I can't run it directly off of the disk.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bededog
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Well, first of all, it won't let me have access to the BIOS to alter the boot order so I could run the installation directly off of my USB. Even then, my computer won't open up the installation file so I can't run it directly off of the disk.

Well you should be able to choose what you boot from by pressing Esc or some Fn key during boot time to access the boot manager. Your BIOS may not allow for booting from USB, you might want to try using a CD instead. If that fails, you could also use the Wubi installer and install Ubuntu from inside Windows.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I remember Amarok 2.0 was absolutely terrible when it came out, is it any better now or are people using the old version? The only problem with the last 1.x version is it doesn't have QT4 so looks out of place in KDE 4, a small gripe given that it was an otherwise very good program.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bededog
I remember Amarok 2.0 was absolutely terrible when it came out, is it any better now or are people using the old version? The only problem with the last 1.x version is it doesn't have QT4 so looks out of place in KDE 4, a small gripe given that it was an otherwise very good program.EJ902
I can not agree more with you about the initial release of Amarok 2.0. It was terrible, very buggy, and it was missing a lot of the features available in 1.4. Amarok 2 has gotten much better since then, it's far less buggy now and it has many of the features of Amarok 1.4 again. It's not perfect yet but it is improving and is usable, I've tried using other players but I'm too use to the Amarok UI that I can't change to another player.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 scorch-62

Well you should be able to choose what you boot from by pressing Esc or some Fn key during boot time to access the boot manager.Your BIOS may not allow for booting from USB, you might want to try using a CD instead.If that fails, you could also use the Wubi installer and install Ubuntu from inside Windows.bededog

Won't let me.

Don't have any CDs.

My computer won't let me run Wubi.

DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DOS4dinner

Won't let me.

Don't have any CDs.

My computer won't let me run Wubi.

scorch-62

If it's a desktop, open your case and find the BIOS password reset jumper, remove it (carefully :P), and then you should have full access to whatever you want. (Google your mobo if you can't find it). If it's a laptop...then that's just weird. Pressing your BIOS key (F2, delete, fn, etc) when you turn your machine on should always bring up some sort of BIOS.