U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrangeTabbyCat
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

Prepare to have your internets completely messed up :(

"The original FCC order said that wireline ISPs ”shall not block lawful content, applications, services or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management” while also mandating that ISPs “shall not unreasonably discriminate in transmitting lawful traffic over a consumer’s broadband Internet access service.”

In its ruling against the FCC’s rules, the court said that such restrictions are not needed in part because consumers have a choice in which ISP they use."

Original arcticle: http://bgr.com/2014/01/14/net-neutrality-court-ruling/

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The idea that consumers have several choices of internet providers has no bearing in reality or theory, as even the most stupid economist would be able to testify anywhere in the globe. Makes me wonder of the competence of this court.

I have no understanding of how the american justice system works, but amazes that such court even has the authority to overrule regulations from a regulatory body.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

good, this was about net neutrality as much as the patriot act was about being patriotic.

OrangeTabbyCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OrangeTabbyCat
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

@Masculus said:

The idea that consumers have several choices of internet providers has no bearing in reality or theory, as even the most stupid economist would be able to testify anywhere in the globe. Makes me wonder of the competence of this court.

I have no understanding of how the american justice system works, but amazes that such court even has the authority to overrule regulations from a regulatory body.

One of my friend only has ONE choice of ISP in his area and it's Time Warner

So picture this:

> His ISP is Time Warner.

> Time Warner hates that he get movies over Netflix instead of buying their overpriced cable.

> But now, Time Warner can just block Netflix in his area!

> Why compete when you you can just shut down your competition?

Companies are now going to be able to dictate what's successful or not on the internet and that my friend is incredibly scary.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@OrangeTabbyCat said:

@Masculus said:

One of my friend only has ONE choice of ISP in his area and it's Time Warner

So picture this:

> His ISP is Time Warner.

> Time Warner hates that he get movies over Netflix instead of buying their overpriced cable.

> But now, Time Warner can just block Netflix in his area!

> Why compete when you you can just shut down your competition?

Companies are now going to be able to dictate what's successful or not on the internet and that my friend is incredibly scary.

This except replace Time Warner with Cox. >_>