Two Brothers Sentenced To Have Their Noses, and Ears Chopped OFF

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/22/pakistan.harsh.justice/index.html

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- A court in Lahore, Pakistan, has ordered that two men have their noses and ears chopped off, after the two were convicted of doing the same to a young woman.

The anti-terrorism court also ordered that brothers Ammanat Ali, 29, and Sher Mohammed, 27, spend life in prison and pay 700,000 rupees ($8,300) in compensation to the victim, Punjab province chief prosecutor Chaudary Mohammed Jahangir said Tuesday.

The sentence was handed down Monday in accordance with Islamic law and the country's anti-terror laws, the prosecutor said.

The woman and her family had rejected an offer of marriage from Sher Mohammed, the officer who investigated the case said.

The two men attacked the woman, Fazeelat Bibi, 22, on September 28, in the village of Zafarkey, southwest of Lahore, Inspector Hakim Ali said. Along with their cousin Mohammed Ali and two other men, they hid, stopped Bibi on her way home from work, and strangled her with a wire, the officer said.

When they thought she was dead, they cut off her nose and ears, Ali said.

They mutilated her "to set an example," prosecutor Jahangir said.

Mohammed Ali, the cousin, was also arrested, while the two other men allegedly involved in the attack have not been, the inspector said.

The brothers were tried under anti-terror laws because the incident "created tyranny" in the district, Inspector Ali said.

The high court must confirm the sentence before it is carried out, and a doctor must determine that they can survive the punishment.

The high court has suspended similar sentences in the past.

is this the right thing to do? thoughts?

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I could have put my house, car and career on this happening in either Pakistan, Iraq, Iran or somewhere like that before opening the thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Cool. As long as it's legal over there, I have not bad feelings about that. I hope they aren't going to just put them right back on the street afterward though.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

Although I don't believe religious law is a good way to run a country as it's usually too Draconian, in this case I'd have to agree with the Lahore court. The only way you can stop something as brutal as the disfigurement of women is to meet said crime with an equally brutal punishment. Prison time won't do it, the number of released convicts that go back to crime in this country should be proof enough of that, and monetary fines don't work either for similar reasons.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

I bet we get a least 5 "OMG i lose complete faith in humanity" posts before this thread ends.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

What can be more fair than reciprocal punishment?

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Eye For an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth I guess.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
You said 'ears' twice...
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
I thought it was horrible until I read about what they did to that woman. Now I think they got what they asked for. Good for the courts.
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

Ears and noses are bad enough, but also the EARS! that's too much...

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

Snipes_2

if everyone did eye for an eye the whole world would be blind ;)

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cornholio157

Cool. As long as it's legal over there, I have not bad feelings about that. I hope they aren't going to just put them right back on the street afterward though.guynamedbilly

nope their getting life in prison too

natedrummer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 natedrummer95
Member since 2009 • 290 Posts

I think that it's fair and it sends a message to other criminals to think twice before they do that kind of stuff.

Grim_Heaper94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Grim_Heaper94
Member since 2009 • 4574 Posts
Good, it sounds like they deserve it.
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

cornholio157

You either have studied Ghandi, or died a lot in Modern Warfare 2 :P

Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

cornholio157

good quote. i dont know who its by, but i recognize it.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Yay, vengeance...:roll:

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cornholio157

[QUOTE="cornholio157"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

effena

You either have studied Ghandi, or died a lot in Modern Warfare 2 :P

i actually just watch the history channel alot :P havent gotten MW2 yet

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

cornholio157

Good thing the prisoners won't get a chance to blind the court back then eh?
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/22/pakistan.harsh.justice/index.html

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- A court in Lahore, Pakistan, has ordered that two men have their noses and ears chopped off, after the two were convicted of doing the same to a young woman.

The anti-terrorism court also ordered that brothers Ammanat Ali, 29, and Sher Mohammed, 27, spend life in prison and pay 700,000 rupees ($8,300) in compensation to the victim, Punjab province chief prosecutor Chaudary Mohammed Jahangir said Tuesday.

The sentence was handed down Monday in accordance with Islamic law and the country's anti-terror laws, the prosecutor said.

The woman and her family had rejected an offer of marriage from Sher Mohammed, the officer who investigated the case said.

The two men attacked the woman, Fazeelat Bibi, 22, on September 28, in the village of Zafarkey, southwest of Lahore, Inspector Hakim Ali said. Along with their cousin Mohammed Ali and two other men, they hid, stopped Bibi on her way home from work, and strangled her with a wire, the officer said.

When they thought she was dead, they cut off her nose and ears, Ali said.

They mutilated her "to set an example," prosecutor Jahangir said.

Mohammed Ali, the cousin, was also arrested, while the two other men allegedly involved in the attack have not been, the inspector said.

The brothers were tried under anti-terror laws because the incident "created tyranny" in the district, Inspector Ali said.

The high court must confirm the sentence before it is carried out, and a doctor must determine that they can survive the punishment.

The high court has suspended similar sentences in the past.

is this the right thing to do? thoughts?

weezyfb

they should be tortured

that is really bad

i hate people from the middle east they give indians(peoples ignorance of linking india to iran/iraq/pakistan) a bad name

i am indian(never been there and dont really look like one and my names mark lol)

my dad was born in punjab my mom somewhere else

oh this isnt really mattering but since im bored ill share with you my grandma was born in (what is today pakistan but back then still india)[she was born in 1929]

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

cornholio157

Well said.
Benevolentbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#23 Benevolentbob
Member since 2007 • 1178 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

cornholio157

...or people could figure out that harming each other was bad for everyone and you know...act decently.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I was Referring to the mentality they use, not my own Philosophy.

TheZ3nMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 TheZ3nMan
Member since 2007 • 2658 Posts
It's hard to state my approval of this...but at the same time, it's hard to disapprove.
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

they should be tortured

that is really bad

i hate people from the middle east they give indians(peoples ignorance of linking india to iran/iraq/pakistan) a bad name

i am indian(never been there and dont really look like one and my names mark lol)

my dad was born in punjab my mom somewhere else

oh this isnt really mattering but since im bored ill share with you my grandma was born in (what is today pakistan but back then still india)[she was born in 1929]

batman_is_aweso

I hate how certain people act like everybody in the Middle East is some kind of lunatic running around trying to kill everybody. You are no different.

XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
Sounds painful. *shivers*
kurtoronie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kurtoronie
Member since 2006 • 1097 Posts

I thought the dark ages were over

TheZ3nMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 TheZ3nMan
Member since 2007 • 2658 Posts

Sounds painful. *shivers*XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Your sig matches this thread perfectly.

RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

No, it's not the right thing to do. But I can't say I feel sorry for them.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Rupees are a real currency?

*Ahem* Anyway, there is such a thing as cruel and unusual punishment. The legal system has no justification for resorting to the same level as the criminals it convicts.

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
sucks to be them.....
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shoryuken_

*Ahem* Anyway, there is such a thing as cruel and unusual punishment. The legal system has no justification for resorting to the same level as the criminals it convicts.

Theokhoth

The reason why punishments in Islamic countries are so harsh is because they set an example. That way, people will not perform said action. I am of the opinion that many Western countries give you mere slaps on the wrist for committing crime and that is why our criminal systems are so ineffective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

shoryuken_

The reason why punishments in Islamic countries are so harsh is because they set an example. That way, people will not perform said action. I am of the opinion that many Western countries give you mere slaps on the wrist for committing crime and that is why our criminal systems are so ineffective.

Though I'm not Muslim at all, I agree. People can say all they want to about humanity rising above our primal nature and that it's morally wrong to punish criminals in such a manner, but you can guarantee that a dead man won't kill again.

Having said that, I'm glad the US isn't like that, but I won't fault another country that is.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

shoryuken_

Wow, it sets an example. That would be great except for the people they use to set that example. They just get mutilated or tortured to death.

Western countries do not just slap convicts on the wrist and our systems are not so ineffective as to call for "setting examples" by resorting to the levels of murderous criminals. The primary contributor to crime is the lack of education.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

guynamedbilly

Though I'm not Muslim at all, I agree. People can say all they want to about humanity rising above our primal nature and that it's morally wrong to punish criminals in such a manner, but you can guarantee that a dead man won't kill again.

Having said that, I'm glad the US isn't like that, but I won't fault another country that is.

A dead man won't kill again, but a barbaric legal system can kill anyone it wants.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shoryuken_

Wow, it sets an example. That would be great except for the people they use to set that example. They just get mutilated or tortured to death.

Western countries do not just slap convicts on the wrist and our systems are not so ineffective as to call for "setting examples" by resorting to the levels of murderous criminals. The primary contributor to crime is the lack of education.

Theokhoth

What do you propose these men do for completely ruining this woman's life then? Community service?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

shoryuken_

What do you propose these men do for completely ruining this woman's life then? Community service?

Are the only two options for these men "horrific mutilation" and "community service"? If not, then I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable middle-ground.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shoryuken_

A dead man won't kill again, but a barbaric legal system can kill anyone it wants.

Theokhoth

When Islamic law is properly implemented, it is not a barbaric system at all. Criminals are tried by a judicial court and given the appropriate punishment for their actions. I'm not going to comment on the current state of Islamic countries because that is a discussion in itself.

I think that letting people off easily for serious crimes such as rape, murder, etc. is the real crime and only serves to strengthen the mindset that people can get away with those kinds of things.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

shoryuken_

When Islamic law is properly implemented, it is not a barbaric system at all. Criminals are tried by a judicial court and given the appropriate punishment for their actions. I'm not going to comment on the current state of Islamic countries because that is a discussion in itself.

I think that letting people off easily for serious crimes such as rape, murder, etc. is the real crime and only serves to strengthen the mindset that people can get away with those kinds of things.

Some people don't define "appropriate punishment" as stooping to their level and doing to them what they do to other people.

Who gets off easy? You're making it seem like there are only two possibilities: either they get off easy or they get brutally maimed and impaired for life. There are more, sane options. Chopping off a nose and the ears of criminals is never, ever appropriate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Theokhoth
No, I'm sure that they have regular established laws just like "Western" countries. If you break the law there, you know you are going to receive harsh treatment. Don't be a criminal and you won't be punished.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

guynamedbilly

No, I'm sure that they have regular established laws just like "Western" countries. If you break the law there, you know you are going to receive harsh treatment. Don't be a criminal and you won't be punished.

And what's to stop "the law" from being whatever the system wants? Do you honestly think a system where people are cruelly and unusually punished will adhere to any rational standard or basis of law, or that it will hesitate to change it? Define a "criminal" as a man who drinks too many glasses of water in a day; does he deserve the same treatment? He will in the eyes of that kind of system.

It's cruel, it's unusual, it's barbaric, and it's inhumane.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shoryuken_

And what's to stop "the law" from being whatever the system wants? Do you honestly think a system where people are cruelly and unusually punished will adhere to any rational standard or basis of law, or that it will hesitate to change it? Define a "criminal" as a man who drinks too many glasses of water in a day; does he deserve the same treatment? He will in the eyes of that kind of system.

It's cruel, it's unusual, it's barbaric, and it's inhumane.

Theokhoth

In this specific case, I don't think the punishment is cruel or unusual. They definitely deserved what they got. It's not like the criminal system mandates that every criminal is either horribly tortured or mutilated or sent to death. This is an extreme case which is why those punishments must be utilized.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
While their punishments in the middle east are sometimes a little too extreme, I think this is fair.
ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

I don't know why the brothers thought this would be a good punishment for a girl who turned down one of them. How the heck did they even conjured something like this up? What were they thinking?

observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 observer77
Member since 2009 • 1647 Posts

well the brothers themselves believe this is ok to do otherwise they wouldn't have done it to someone else...so I don't care.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="shoryuken_"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Some people don't define "appropriate punishment" as stooping to their level and doing to them what they do to other people.

Who gets off easy? You're making it seem like there are only two possibilities: either they get off easy or they get brutally maimed and impaired for life. There are more, sane options. Chopping off a nose and the ears of criminals is never, ever appropriate.

So then you actually believe a life in prison where everything required for survival and, in the case of most Western countries, even thrive intellectually and physically is provided for you at the expense of the people you wronged is just?

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
I lol'd at the city name...
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shoryuken_

I lol'd at the city name... GodofBigMacs

What's so funny about it?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
I lol'd at the city name... GodofBigMacs
1st time hearing about the country capital?