Total Economic Collapse is Imminent

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Paul Craig Roberts has some impressive credentials: He was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury under President Ronald Reagan and an associate editor of the Wall Street Journal.

In this essay, he attributes the "fiscal cliff" to the offshoring of US middle class jobs and the financial burden of multiple unprofitable wars abroad. Because neither Republicans nor Democrats are prepared to address those factors, he warns, a grim scenario awaits: As the Federal Reserve prints ever more Dollars in an attempt to save banks that are "too big to fail", the foreign exchange value of the Dollar will drop, leading to a dumping of Dollars and Dollar-denominated financial instruments and, eventually, to hyperinflation.

And with a cruel twist of the dagger, he suggests that nobody in the international community will be especially sorry when the American Empire collapses. :o

A few excerpts:

Washington's response to the fiscal cliff is austerity: spending cuts and tax increases. The Republicans say they will vote for the Democrat's tax increases if the Democrats vote for the Republican's assault on the social safety net. What bipartisan compromise means is a double-barreled dose of austerity.

Paul Craig Roberts

Ever since John Maynard Keynes, economists have understood that tax increases and spending cuts suppress, not stimulate, economic activity. This is especially the case in an economy such as the American one, which is driven by consumer spending. When spending declines, so does the economy. When the economy declines, the budget deficit rises.

Paul Craig Roberts

The Federal Reserve's policy is focused on saving the banks, not on saving the economy.

Paul Craig Roberts

The real crisis facing the US is the impending collapse of the US dollar's foreign exchange value. The US dollar's value in relation to silver and gold has already collapsed. In the past ten years, gold's price in US dollars has increased from $250 per ounce to $1,750 per ounce, an increase of $1,500. Silver's price has risen from $4 per ounce to $34 per ounce. These price rises are not due to a sudden scarcity of gold and silver, but to a flight from the dollar into the two forms of historical money that cannot be created with the printing press.

Paul Craig Roberts

The Republicans are determined to continue the gratuitous wars and to make the 99 percent pay for the neoconservatives Wars of Hegemony while protecting the 1 percent from tax increases.

The Democrats are little different.

Paul Craig Roberts

America is going to crash big time.

And the rest of the world will be thankful. America along with Israel is the world's most hated country. Don't expect any foreign bailouts of the failed superpower.

Paul Craig Roberts

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

Wait, I don't get it. He states tax increases are bad, yet then advocates tax increases later in his article.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Wait, I don't get it. He states tax increases are bad, yet then advocates tax increases later in his article.

SpartanMSU

I didn't read it that way.

He just advocates a tax policy that rewards corporations that focus on employing domestic workers.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpartanMSU

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

Stesilaus

He just advocates a tax policy that rewards corporations that focus on employing domestic workers.

He implied that tax increases on "the 1 %" would be beneficial, yet earlier claims that tax increases and spending cuts are detrimental.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

He implied that tax increases on "the 1 %" would be beneficial, yet earlier claims that tax increases and spending cuts are detrimental.

SpartanMSU

Perhaps he feels that increases on only the ultra wealthy are necessary. The bulk of his comments suggest that the economy needs people who have money to spend to keep itself going, and that's certainly not the first time I've heard that argument. The ultra wealthy may spend more than the average person, but it's almost a guarantee that if that same money was in the hands of people with less income, more of it would be pumped back into the economy. Too much wealth ends up sitting in offshore bank accounts, not really doing anything.

So in that sense, raising taxes on the majority will indeed be a problem, as will service cuts, since both will result in less disposable income and thus less spending. I'm not really convinced that increasing taxes on the ultra wealthy would present the same problem. Many of them already claim that a tax increase would have no effect whatsoever on their spending habits.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Austrians predicted hyperinflation by 2010. Hasn't happened. Why do people think the Fed just prints money? Learn to money velocity and monetary policy.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

SpartanMSU

Raising the marginal tax rate for the highest bracket is of the utmost importance. We need to raise the capital gains tax as well.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

The US, like any other nation in history, will fall. The question is when, how, and why? We do seem ripe for a big collapse right now, due to many factors coming into play at once. Good analysis overall.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

SpartanMSU

The more money you have, the more you save. People with less money tend to spend more, relatively. A slight increase in taxes for the higher income folks gives the government more money to spend. If taxes increased for everyone then everyone would spend less (Remember that 1% of my money is a lot more for me than 1% of Bill Gate's money is for him.)
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

harashawn

The more money you have, the more you save. People with less money tend to spend more, relatively. A slight increase in taxes for the higher income folks gives the government more money to spend. If taxes increased for everyone then everyone would spend less (Remember that 1% of my money is a lot more for me than 1% of Bill Gate's money is for him.)

Tell that to professional athletes who make $10 million a year and then end up broke 3 years after they retire. I think they spend a lot, relatively.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

hartsickdiscipl

Tell that to professional athletes who make $10 million a year and then end up broke 3 years after they retire. I think they spend a lot, relatively.

That's because they don't know how to handle their money. You think warren buffet goes out of his way to spend his billions? No. He saves it. It's pretty simple. The U.S is a consumer economy that runs on middle class and lower class spending. Without it, the economy collapses. Therefore we need to stimulate as much spending as possible (as long as it's sustainable.) Making the middle class pay higher tax rates than a lot of investors is ridiculous.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

The U.S is a consumer economy that runs on middle class and lower class spending. Without it, the economy collapses.imaps3fanboy

SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!!!

This spending culture needs to die. I hope an economic collaspe does come.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] The more money you have, the more you save. People with less money tend to spend more, relatively. A slight increase in taxes for the higher income folks gives the government more money to spend. If taxes increased for everyone then everyone would spend less (Remember that 1% of my money is a lot more for me than 1% of Bill Gate's money is for him.)imaps3fanboy

That's because they don't know how to handle their money. You think warren buffet goes out of his way to spend his billions? No. He saves it. It's pretty simple. The U.S is a consumer economy that runs on middle class and lower class spending. Without it, the economy collapses. Therefore we need to stimulate as much spending as possible (as long as it's sustainable.) Making the middle class pay higher tax rates than a lot of investors is ridiculous.

I agree with you there.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpartanMSU

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

harashawn

Keynesians advocate tax cuts and increases in spending during harsh economic times. He is contradicting himself. How can he not be?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44694 Posts
is this the guy that like a year or two ago was like "the economic collapse is inevitable soon" and "you can avoid it by buying my package" which cost like $5000 a pop and it was some big scam, was this that guy?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 harashawn

SpartanMSU

Keynesians advocate tax cuts and increases in spending during harsh economic times. He is contradicting himself. How can he not be?

As I said, the extremely wealthy are not the main spenders in an economy. Increasing taxes on the lower and middle classes (Wo spend the majority of, if not all of or more than, their incomes) would be a mistake; but the rich people don't spend most of their money anyway, so that 1% will not affect spending in the economy.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 imaps3fanboy

SpartanMSU

It's called deficit spending. Counter-cyclical economics works. Spain and Greece tried austerity cuts, which is a pro-cyclical method, and it doesn't work.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]The U.S is a consumer economy that runs on middle class and lower class spending. Without it, the economy collapses.Jebus213

Why would you hope for something like that? Are you a fan of people losing their jobs and general misery during a crisis?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 harashawn

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]The U.S is a consumer economy that runs on middle class and lower class spending. Without it, the economy collapses.Jebus213

Spending is good during a recession. People buy more things, businesses need more employees, more jobs are created, more people have jobs, people have more money, people buy more things, businesses need more employees, more jobs are created, more people have jobs, people have more money, people buy more things, etc.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpartanMSU

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] The more money you have, the more you save. People with less money tend to spend more, relatively. A slight increase in taxes for the higher income folks gives the government more money to spend. If taxes increased for everyone then everyone would spend less (Remember that 1% of my money is a lot more for me than 1% of Bill Gate's money is for him.)imaps3fanboy

It's called deficit spending. Counter-cyclical economics works. Spain and Greece tried austerity cuts, which is a pro-cyclical method, and it doesn't work.

Increasing taxes is an austerity measure, which was my point...

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts
[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

imaps3fanboy

Raising the marginal tax rate for the highest bracket is of the utmost importance. We need to raise the capital gains tax as well.

Raising taxes is the "utmost important" no wonder why we're in a bad situation and getting even worse lol
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

SpartanMSU

Increasing taxes is an austerity measure, which was my point...

Sort of, depends who the taxes fall on though, plus the U.S isn't really raising the taxes, the old tax rates are just expired. Those rates were put in place ONLY because Bush thought we would have a surplus for the distant future. He was wrong, and it cost us 5 trillion $$
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 imaps3fanboy

cslayer211

Raising taxes is the "utmost important" no wonder why we're in a bad situation and getting even worse lol

We need more revenue. It's a fact. Raising taxes on the wealthy is the least painful way to do so. The situation is actually not getting worse. We haven't been in an actual recession since 2009
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cslayer211
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] Raising the marginal tax rate for the highest bracket is of the utmost importance. We need to raise the capital gains tax as well.

We need more revenue. It's a fact. Raising taxes on the wealthy is the least painful way to do so. The situation is actually not getting worse. We haven't been in an actual recession since 2009

Go ahead and define wealthy for me and how much more you want them to pay. In reality the only way to raise adequate amounts of revenue is to grow the economy.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpartanMSU

How the fvck can you think austerity measures don't work and then claim that we need to raise taxes. How are you guys this delusional? Can you really not see your own hypocracy?

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Raising taxes is the "utmost important" no wonder why we're in a bad situation and getting even worse lol

Go ahead and define wealthy for me and how much more you want them to pay. In reality the only way to raise adequate amounts of revenue is to grow the economy.

Sure, more jobs=more revenue. The $250,000 a year marginal tax rate needs to go back to AT LEAST the Clinton (39.6% I think) years like it was supposed to in 2010 before Obama extended the cuts. I would say 45% would be optimal. Under Eisenhower the top tax rate was 91% and under nixon it was 73% I believe. Not until Reagan did it go down substantially, which is why he TRIPLED the national debt.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Raising taxes is the "utmost important" no wonder why we're in a bad situation and getting even worse lol

Aside from the cyclical deficits caused by the recession we also have a structural deficit, and we've had a structural deficit ever since the Bush tax cuts were passed in order to deal with the imminent faux-surplus crisis that conservatives were warning about at the time.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imaps3fanboy

How the fvck can you think austerity measures don't work and then claim that we need to raise taxes. How are you guys this delusional? Can you really not see your own hypocracy?

SpartanMSU
Austerity measures DON'T work. Pro-cyclical economics doesn't work. Letting the tax rates expire on the wealthy isn't going to hurt anything. Like I just said, the rates used to be higher and we didn't collapse.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpartanMSU

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

imaps3fanboy

Austerity measures DON'T work. Pro-cyclical economics doesn't work. Letting the tax rates expire on the wealthy isn't going to hurt anything. Like I just said, the rates used to be higher and we didn't collapse.

Raising taxes is an austerity measure...holy fvck. Are you ok?

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imaps3fanboy

SpartanMSU

I'm in favor of simply letting the top rates expire. These tax rates are artificially low because of the TEMPORARY CUTS that Bush got through. If you want to call it austerity, then fine. I call it a small inconvenience on the wealthy.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cslayer211
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] We need more revenue. It's a fact. Raising taxes on the wealthy is the least painful way to do so. The situation is actually not getting worse. We haven't been in an actual recession since 2009

Sure, more jobs=more revenue. The $250,000 a year marginal tax rate needs to go back to AT LEAST the Clinton (39.6% I think) years like it was supposed to in 2010 before Obama extended the cuts. I would say 45% would be optimal. Under Eisenhower the top tax rate was 91% and under nixon it was 73% I believe. Not until Reagan did it go down substantially, which is why he TRIPLED the national debt.

You didn't just blame the debt on taxes being lower than 91% did you?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

SpartanMSU

Raising taxes on the wealthy isn't necessary an austerity measure. It can simply serve as a re-organization/optimization of a country's budget deficit, and that's essentially what Obama wants to do by increasing things like infrastructure spending. The money that is wasted through the Bush tax cuts can be re-purposed so that it stimulates the economy more efficiently and more cost-effectively. The effectiveness of deficit spending is not all about the sticker-price. How you spend the money is just as important if not more important than how much you spend.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Christ, imaps, it's obviously an austerity measure - and 'artificial' is a meaningless term here. You should acknowledge this and then explain how it is a more preferable alternative to:

1. Keeping long-term structural deficits, or
  2. Enacting other austerity measures which are worse
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Go ahead and define wealthy for me and how much more you want them to pay. In reality the only way to raise adequate amounts of revenue is to grow the economy.

No, I blame them on being 28% and being funded by the middle class
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts
[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

Correction, not "tried", still trying, as in austerity still in progress. In Portugal we don't have it as bad as in Greece but it's far worse than is Spain. Next year everyone will lose over 1 full salary as a result of a huge increase in income tax, let alone other taxes being raised across the board. Problem is we can't just print more money since we don't control the currency.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 harashawn

nunovlopes

Correction, not "tried", still trying, as in austerity still in progress. In Portugal we don't have it as bad as in Greece but it's far worse than is Spain. Next year everyone will lose over 1 full salary as a result of a huge increase in income tax, let alone other taxes being raised across the board. Problem is we can't just print more money since we don't control the currency.

Printing more money would only make things worse.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nunovlopes
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="nunovlopes"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] It's called deficit spending. Counter-cyclical economics works. Spain and Greece tried austerity cuts, which is a pro-cyclical method, and it doesn't work.

Printing more money would only make things worse.

Not necessarily, if it was accompanied by a few austerity measures to cut some of the waste. Sure the currency would devalue, but internally we would be able to pay our bills and our exports would benefit as well. The problem as it is is that countries are being forced to adjust too quickly, it's just not possible without massive austerity which in turn kills the economy. Everyone is literally going into massive saving mode which brings the economy to a halt. Furthermore, the government is not getting what they expected in taxes because spending is going downhill so this aggravates the deficit issue.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imaps3fanboy
Isn't Germany not loaning to other countries to cover their bad assets? I can kind of see why they wouldn't want to though.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Hopefully the wars were to secretly control the world's oil.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 imaps3fanboy
Hopefully the wars were to secretly control the world's oil.Diablo-B
Well the U.S has a lot of oil reserves. I think we're waiting until it turns into liquid gold before we drill
Socialist696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Socialist696
Member since 2012 • 558 Posts
, he attributes the "fiscal cliff" to the offshoring of US middle class jobs and the financial burden of multiple unprofitable wars abroad. Because neither Republicans nor Democrats are prepared to address those factors, he warns, a grim scenario awaits: As the Federal Reserve prints ever more Dollars in an attempt to save banks that are "too big to fail", the foreign exchange value of the Dollar will drop, leading to a dumping of Dollars and Dollar-denominated financial instruments and, eventually, to hyperinflation.

And with a cruel twist of the dagger, he suggests that nobody in the international community will be especially sorry when the American Empire collapses. :o

A few excerpts:

[QUOTE="Paul Craig Roberts"]

[QUOTE="Paul Craig Roberts"]

The Republicans are determined to continue the gratuitous wars and to make the 99 percent pay for the neoconservatives Wars of Hegemony while protecting the 1 percent from tax increases.

The Democrats are little different.

Stesilaus

America is going to crash big time.

And the rest of the world will be thankful. America along with Israel is the world's most hated country. Don't expect any foreign bailouts of the failed superpower.

Paul Craig Roberts

You're absolutely right. Scary ain't it?
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nunovlopes
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]Isn't Germany not loaning to other countries to cover their bad assets? I can kind of see why they wouldn't want to though.

Yes Germany is loaning because they know they're the ones that have more to lose if the euro collapses. But their loaning comes not only with interest but also severe forced austerity measures which cripple the country's economy and makes it even more difficult to pay back.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cslayer211
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] Sure, more jobs=more revenue. The $250,000 a year marginal tax rate needs to go back to AT LEAST the Clinton (39.6% I think) years like it was supposed to in 2010 before Obama extended the cuts. I would say 45% would be optimal. Under Eisenhower the top tax rate was 91% and under nixon it was 73% I believe. Not until Reagan did it go down substantially, which is why he TRIPLED the national debt.

Blame it on the idiots in the government who spend our money away. Passing the blame onto people making $250,000+ is funny.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] You didn't just blame the debt on taxes being lower than 91% did you?

Blame it on the idiots in the government who spend our money away. Passing the blame onto people making $250,000+ is funny.

20% of the national budget is defense. Should we cut that? (assuming you're a republican) and don't even bring up SS. It was running a surplus for quite a long time. Passing the blame? I'm simply in favor of raising the marginal tax rates by a few percent.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

20% of the national budget is defense.imaps3fanboy

Yeah I think we can cut the defense budget...

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cslayer211
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] No, I blame them on being 28% and being funded by the middle class

20% of the national budget is defense. Should we cut that? (assuming you're a republican) and don't even bring up SS. It was running a surplus for quite a long time. Passing the blame? I'm simply in favor of raising the marginal tax rates by a few percent.

We need to cut everything including defense. You seem to believe that we can raise taxes on a select few and as a result everything will be all fine and dandy. Sorry but it's not that simple. Only way to pay off our debt is to grow the economy, and make cuts to the deficit to start decreasing how much money we spend every year.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I don't see what's wrong with rasing taxes on the top bracket back to before the bush tax cuts (that were supposed to be temporary to begin with). Then again I get that if you have wealth you want to keep it. I think it comes down to if you care if the country is successful or just in it for your own personal gain. If a balanced proposal of cuts and revenue would get established to get us into surpluses, I don't see why people would complain. After all is said and done and the defict is back to manageable levels what's to say that taxes won't get cut again?

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Blame it on the idiots in the government who spend our money away. Passing the blame onto people making $250,000+ is funny.cslayer211

We need to cut everything including defense. You seem to believe that we can raise taxes on a select few and as a result everything will be all fine and dandy. Sorry but it's not that simple. Only way to pay off our debt is to grow the economy, and make cuts to the deficit to start decreasing how much money we spend every year.

The top 400 earners in the economy have more than the bottom 150 million. You don't think raising the taxes on these sorts of people won't help to lessen the financial crisis? I agree we do need to cut spending, but I think most of this should come in defense spending. In terms of healthcare, we need a single payer system. IIRC we also dole out less welfare money than every other country in the industrialized nation, so that isn't really a problem. Social Security is fine for now. Around 10% of the budget goes to simply paying off interest on our debt, thanks to presidents like reagan and bush who cut the top tax rates which lost us trillions in revenue.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cslayer211

[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] 20% of the national budget is defense. Should we cut that? (assuming you're a republican) and don't even bring up SS. It was running a surplus for quite a long time. Passing the blame? I'm simply in favor of raising the marginal tax rates by a few percent. imaps3fanboy

The top 400 earners in the economy have more than the bottom 150 million. You don't think raising the taxes on these sorts of people won't help to lessen the financial crisis? I agree we do need to cut spending, but I think most of this should come in defense spending. In terms of healthcare, we need a single payer system. IIRC we also dole out less welfare money than every other country in the industrialized nation, so that isn't really a problem. Social Security is fine for now. Around 10% of the budget goes to simply paying off interest on our debt, thanks to presidents like reagan and bush who cut the top tax rates which lost us trillions in revenue.

Raising taxes on the top 400 earners will do little to nothing for the debt. It will probably pay for a day or two a year of government spending, if even that much (because getting tax money is more or less a theory, as raising taxes does not guarantee the government will take in the projected amount of money). On top of that, do you really believe our tax money is going to the middle class, or is it really going towards more GSA parties and government waste? Most of it is probably going towards medicare, social security, and Obamacare.