Too easy to live without CDs

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts

In the last year or so, i've only bought 3 or 4 CD's. I love my CD collection, but it's hard to justify buying CD's when all i'm going to do is rip it to my mac and put it on a shelf. There are so many ways to listen to music for free, (Youtube, Deezer, Myspace, Torrents if you are stupid.)

I find myself browsing the iTunes store and Amazon mp3's in the same way I used to spend hours in old record shops and music superstores. It's cheaper, faster, ecologically responsible, etc etc. Everyone has iPods, iPhones, whatever, i don't know, when I see thousands of songs in a huge list on iTunes, their individual value is completely lost.

Do you think we are slowly witnessing the end of physical media? I guess the inevitable answer is, yes, but do you see this as a great shame or just a handy convenience?

Sorry for my thinkingoffthetopofmyhead rant I just wonder if anyone else is a bit frustrated about these changes

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
I don't buy CDs mainly because I have to like a substantial amount of the songs to purchase it. doesn't help, also, that there aren't that many songs that I like. for those that I do, well...
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
I loathe physical mediums. Gimme a TB i-Pod and I'll be set for life.
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts
I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.
cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
I like both forms. I love my Zune to death but I still go out and buy CD's when they come out :).
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
i still buy CDs, mostly because i enjoy supporting bloated faceless record labels.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
I prefer CDs with the album art and all, I know you can download the art but it's not the same :(
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
If I had my choice, I'd buy a CD versus download any day of the week. But I found a new way to get my music, and that's through the library.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
If I had my choice, I'd buy a CD versus download any day of the week. But I found a new way to get my music, and that's through the library. JustPlainLucas
I wished our library checked out CD's. We have a very limited movie collection.
Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts
I prefer having the actual CD with me, just incase something happens to the music I downloaded. I find it easier just to pop in the CD and rip all the music back onto my computer.
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
I like cd's, but I think they will eventually be replaced. But someone will have to do something about illegal downloading.
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
Is there any point in owning music at all these days? Sites like LastFM and Deezer let you listen to anything for free.
Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts
Is there any point in owning music at all these days? Sites like LastFM and Deezer let you listen to anything for free.vitriolboy
Well, you can always download illegally for free, but I don't want to get into that, if it do ya fine.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.KG86
This. i hate only having mp3's i love just going and putting on a CD or Tape or Vinyl, its so real! keep up the good fight :)
Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.KG86

Glad to see Im not the only one. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a physical copy. Plus the sound is better.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I'm digital Download all the way.. I lose cd's very easily. Lot hard to lose a hard drive..
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
I wish CD's were still viable. I hate the shoddiness of MP3's, and I hope that once record companies go out of business someone has the intelligence to put up a FLAC store. Nothing can replace the feeling of having a physical disc with all the artwork, but there is no freaking way its going to stay alive.
Krigen89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krigen89
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
I'll usually download what I want... if it's really good and worth it, I'll either buy it on iTunes or physically to support the artists I love. When there's only 1 or 2 songs worth it on an album, I figure the artist tried to rip me off of my money, so I rip them off and don't buy.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
hell yeah i bought 6 new CD's a couple of days ago in Zavvi's closing down sale,Also not buying CD's would be a crime since i have a great stereo.
Avatar image for InsultToInjury_
InsultToInjury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 InsultToInjury_
Member since 2007 • 2219 Posts
I have a vast CD collection. I have not bought a single CD in the past year. All my CDs have been ripped to my itunes and now live on my beast of an ipod. My poor ol' CDs are now causing me greif with the lack of room and dust they are making. Dont get me wrong, I love to own the physical CD if it a band I particulary love. But with life on the net you can find obscure stuff that you would never get your mucky paws on in the likes of HMV, Virgin and non independant stores. For me as long as I can listen to it and have a back up if something happens i'm happy.
JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
[QUOTE="KG86"]I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.sAndroid17
This. i hate only having mp3's i love just going and putting on a CD or Tape or Vinyl, its so real! keep up the good fight :)

Same. Nothing beats the feeling of pushing the play button. :)
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Nope, I buy almost all my music in CD form, only time I ever DL is if I get an itunes gift card.
metaldude05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 metaldude05
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts
i still would rather buy a CD for some reason or another. it just doesn't feel right to me downloading it even if purchased
TboneKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TboneKing
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
I download tons and tons of music with torrents. Oh yes, and I feel no guilt.
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
I buy cds, rip them to my laptop, and put them on a shelf. But at times like the situation Im in, cd's are very good. My laptops not working so Im constantly listening to them on my mothers stereo untill I get my laptop fixed x)
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
Nope, I buy almost all my music in CD form, only time I ever DL is if I get an itunes gift card.Darth-Caedus
Only time I download is if its a band that I dont really care for but I like 1 or 2 songs.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
I still buy cds. I will always buy cds.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

I have never bought a CD.

I just rip my sister's CDs to my computer.

trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts
I used to buy cd's but like you've said I've transitioned over to the digital age and purchased them online. Then I transitioned over to the listening to it for free on youtube and pandora and have no desire to buy music anymore.
NearTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NearTheEnd
Member since 2002 • 12184 Posts
I buy records and cassettes, lol.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
i still buy a lot of cds. that said, if my cds were from giant record labels and big selling artists, i probably wouldn't.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I refuse to download or buy music online. I only get my music through cds. I don't even borrow my friend's cds and put them on my iPod, I purchase the CD first. I will still listen to music online but only if I like one song or I am going to get the CD but I don't have it yet. EDIT: Also, I see it better to have the CDs in case you have loads of downloaded stuff on your computer and it breaks or something happens. You have basically lost loads of money and music.
tri-edge99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tri-edge99
Member since 2007 • 7501 Posts

[QUOTE="KG86"]I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.sAndroid17

Ill agree with these guys. I fells so much better to have a physical copy of the music, art etc. Its also awesome to see your collection grow in time.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts
I love CDs. I'm going to keep buying them as well.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="KG86"]I'm still fighting the good fight against digital distribution, CDs and vinyls FTW.tri-edge99

Ill agree with these guys. I fells so much better to have a physical copy of the music, art etc. Its also awesome to see your collection grow in time.

Same. I think I've gotten a total of 6 songs from iTunes, and that was only because they were free.

Not only do I like having physical copies of all my music, I like the experience of buying CDs. The feeling you get when you finally find one that you've been trying to get for the longest time is hard to beat.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I still buy CDs. In fact I bought 4 yesterday. And they are all fantastic!

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
CD's will give way to digital downloads within a few years, and so will DVD's and blu ray.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameeer1

Same. I think I've gotten a total of 6 songs from iTunes, and that was only because they were free.

Not only do I like having physical copies of all my music, I like the experience of buying CDs. The feeling you get when you finally find one that you've been trying to get for the longest time is hard to beat.

UnrighteousFury
I've been trying to find Gulag Orkestar by Beirut for a bit now, I still can't find it...):
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
CD's will give way to digital downloads within a few years, and so will DVD's and blu ray.shoeman12
one problem with that: people were saying this before blu-ray/hd dvd even came out. Then instead of downloads, we got another generation of hard copies. Then people said "blu ray will fail, downloads!" Whelp, blu ray sales are doing pretty good....
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gameeer1
CD's will give way to digital downloads within a few years, and so will DVD's and blu ray.shoeman12
I still see people buy vinyls. I thought those were dead.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
I refuse to download 128kbps MP3's from iTunes. How do you people pay for that junk?
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shoeman12
[QUOTE="shoeman12"]CD's will give way to digital downloads within a few years, and so will DVD's and blu ray.Paladin_King
one problem with that: people were saying this before blu-ray/hd dvd even came out. Then instead of downloads, we got another generation of hard copies. Then people said "blu ray will fail, downloads!" Whelp, blu ray sales are doing pretty good....

it won't be immediate, but eventually as internet speeds increase digital download will win out.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shoeman12
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]I refuse to download 128kbps MP3's from iTunes. How do you people pay for that junk?

just get them from a different source, i don't use itunes.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I'm digital Download all the way.. I lose cd's very easily. Lot hard to lose a hard drive..ferrari2001
You don't have to lose the harddrive for the harddrive to lose everything on it. :?
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

If I had my choice, I'd buy a CD versus download any day of the week. But I found a new way to get my music, and that's through the library. JustPlainLucas

Glad to know I'm not the only one, bro.;)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts
When I download music from itunes it's usually in mp3 and 192kb/s audio. NOT GOOD ENUF FOR MOI. CD's use uncompressed audio, which I then rip using the FLAC or WAV to preserve all the music8)
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

When I download music from itunes it's usually in mp3 and 192kb/s audio. NOT GOOD ENUF FOR MOI. CD's use uncompressed audio, which I then rip using the FLAC or WAV to preserve all the music8)Renegade_Fury

Sometimes I rip to FLAC and sometimes I don't, depending on how full my hard drive looks at the time.

Yeah, the quality is heavenly but they take up so much space.

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
I buy CDs because they're good for archiving. They provide a high quality hard backup. I can't justify buying an MP3 or other lossy formatted song. Especially not at those prices. Don't get me wrong, record companies have been committing highway robbery with CDs for years, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drop that kind of coin for something that costs nothing to reproduce.
Ice-Hot_MoFo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ice-Hot_MoFo
Member since 2008 • 511 Posts
I never really bought CDs so I guess that I prefer doing everything electronically
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I still like to have the physical product. Of course, digital downloads work if you only want half of the CD or something.