Tom Clancy - anyone here read his books?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Especially the newer novels such as Dead or Alive and Locked on which involve Jack Ryan and Jack Ryan Junior and the two guys from Rainbow Six.

I just bought the paperback novel of Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive from a small Shopko store earlier today. Just wondering if the two books that involve Jack Ryan Jr are good or whatever?

Last time I read a Jack Ryan novel was teh boring Red Rabbit novel which was long and boring like the Bear and the Dragon novel years ago

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#2 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i've read Dead or Alive. it was allright. I have not read Locked On yet.

my favorites from him are The Bear and the Dragon, and Red Storm Rising.

which basicaly are these epic scale wars brewing, Bear and Dragon being Russia vs China, and Red Storm Rising being the Cold War has now gone hot. Both are long stories yes.

I remember having to skim read through the submarine battles in Red Storm Rising, because he was going into such depth (pun intended :P) and detail of how subs fight each other - of which i have no knowledge or understanding of. I just skimmed that bit to figure out who was winning or what was going IN the subs.

I used to read a lot of his work, including his series Power Play, but i stopped after a while because it became very routine, you could almost see the twist coming a mile away.

That said I am tempted to re-read Bear and Dragon, Red Storm Rising, and Politika, I remember really enjoying those books.

ironically it was his book Politika (which i don't think he even wrote) that got me into reading fiction as a teenager. Before that it was just non-fiction or religous texts, love of want to read fiction was kinda beaten out of me from school where you read stuff you really don't give a $hit about.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
The last TC book I read was one that was written by him, Teeth of the Tiger. I haven't bought any book with his name on it, nor any game with his name on it in a long time and I doubt I ever will unless it is actually him writing the book or Ubisoft changes their game design and reverts back to what the games once were.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

Jack Ryan has been in all of his main line of books. He has a guest writer that works with him now on the Ryan novels who likely does the majority of the work. The novels are nowhere near where they once were, but his latest - Threat Vector - was actually pretty good.

If you want to get into his books I would start at the beginning because his major characters are in every book, so you don't pick up on everything unless you start with The Hunt for Red October. All of the Ryan novels that have been turned into movies are worth reading. I would definitely read The Hunt for Red October and Without Remorse (which is being made into a movie).

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slamminjammin69

Bear and the Dragon I just couldn't stand a few years ago. It was too long and boring. Too much political preacyhness that was going on involving the Russians and China.

The only old books of Tom Clancy that I enjoyed were Patriot Fames and the novel where Jack Ryan became President for the first time. Executive Power 10-15 years ago or whatever.

NetForce the first book of the NetForce series I read and I even saw the tv movie of it when it came on NBC in the mid late 1990s

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

It's on my priority list to get his books, I've heard nothing but great reviews on them!

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I've read most of them. Without Remorse and Rainbow Six being my top two. His whole series focusing on a younger Jack Ryan and his cousins are really quite good as well.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WhiteKnight77

It's on my priority list to get his books, I've heard nothing but great reviews on them!

solidruss
They are good. You have to remember to read them in the order he wrote them as a timeline emerges (though in a couple of cases, it does deviate) as to what is going on and will happen. Stop reading after Teeth of the Tiger as after that, they are no longer written by Clancy.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

WhiteKnight77

They are good. You have to remember to read them in the order he wrote them as a timeline emerges (though in a couple of cases, it does deviate) as to what is going on and will happen.

That's what friends have told me, can't wait!

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WhiteKnight77

I've read most of them. Without Remorse and Rainbow Six being my top two. His whole series focusing on a younger Jack Ryan and his cousins are really quite good as well.

airshocker
Yeah, those two books are my favorites as well.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#11 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I read the books and it was okay.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Nah, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to literature. I've never really seen any value in those kind of books.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

Nah, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to literature. I've never really seen any value in those kind of books.

jim_shorts

They are entertaining as fictious thrillers and informative from a technical standpoint.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

Last Clancy book I read was Executive Orders, Red Storm Rising is one of my all time favorite books.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I only read Rainbow Six and it was a good book but it dragged a lot though.
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slamminjammin69

The only novels by Tom Clancy that I really do like are

NetForce 1

OpCenter 1

Patriot Games

Executive Orders

Red Rabbit was ok but it felt like a remake of Sum of All Fears except we had to deal with some pope that wanted to quit

As for the Jack Ryan Jr novels Dead or Alive and Locked On Im getting introduced to the Ryan family all over agaiin even though Jack Jr is all grown up while good old Jack Ryan Sr is president again or whatever.

Rainbow Six the first novel I kinda liked. Are John Clark and Ding's roles in the Jack Ryan novels are they short or do they get involved in some good action scenes?

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WhiteKnight77

The only novels by Tom Clancy that I really do like are

NetForce 1

OpCenter 1

Patriot Games

Executive Orders

Red Rabbit was ok but it felt like a remake of Sum of All Fears except we had to deal with some pope that wanted to quit

As for the Jack Ryan Jr novels Dead or Alive and Locked On Im getting introduced to the Ryan family all over agaiin even though Jack Jr is all grown up while good old Jack Ryan Sr is president again or whatever.

Rainbow Six the first novel I kinda liked. Are John Clark and Ding's roles in the Jack Ryan novels are they short or do they get involved in some good action scenes?

slamminjammin69
This is why it is imperative to read the books in order: [spoiler] Without Remorse is all John Clark and how he joined the CIA. Clear and Present Danger is where Clark hired Ding and where Clark, Ding and Ryan all meet for the first time. While Without Remorse goes back in time compared to the other Jack Ryan books, it is an important book in how Clark came into being and his background. [/spoiler] John Clark's and Jack Ryan's paths cross many times without them meeting until a certain book (see spoiler). Both Ding and Clark play large parts in other books besides that or Rainbow Six, but come after R6.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

jim_shorts
What are some books that you enjoy?
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

dave123321

I'm a fan of Hemingway, Thomas Hardy, George Orwell, people like that.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I read the two splinter cell books back in HS which was alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Read them all up to Teeth and the Tiger. Haven't read the newer ones. The Best by far is Without Remorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

jim_shorts

You said you're a literary snob and then you mentioned George Orwell? :confused:
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhiteKnight77

I read the two splinter cell books back in HS which was alright.

Bikouchu35
Those were not written by Clancy though.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="dave123321"] What are some books that you enjoy?

You said you're a literary snob and then you mentioned George Orwell? :confused:

Just because he happens to be required high school reading doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic writer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"] I'm a fan of Hemingway, Thomas Hardy, George Orwell, people like that.

Just because he happens to be required high school reading doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic writer.

I don't disagree. But he is typically looked down upon by true literary snobs.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"] I don't disagree. But he is typically looked down upon by true literary snobs.

Honestly I'd just chalk that up to typical meta contrarianism bullcrap.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've read most of his older stuff. Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin are my favorites. I think I started getting a bit tired of him around The Sum of all fears - he could really use an editor.