Tobacco companies sue FDA over new graphic warnings

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Four of the five largest U.S. tobacco companies sued the federal government Tuesday over new graphic cigarette labels that include the sewn-up corpse of a smoker and a picture of diseased lungs, saying the warnings violate their free speech rights and will cost millions of dollars to print. The companies, led by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., Lorillard Tobacco Co., said the warnings no longer simply convey facts to allow people to make a decision whether to smoke. They instead force them to put government anti-smoking advocacy more prominently on their packs than their own brands, the companies say. They want a judge to stop the labels. "Never before in the United States have producers of a lawful product been required to use their own packaging and advertising to convey an emotionally-charged government message urging adult consumers to shun their products," the companies wrote in the lawsuit filed in federal court in Washington, D.C. Story here. Even though smoking can be hazardous, I agree with the tobacco companies on this issue, the graphic pictures are pushing it. I mean come on, people can make up their own minds about smoking without the government shoving something down the throats of a business.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Can I petition the government to do the same thing for guns and alcohol? Why should we stop at cigarettes?

:roll:

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

that is ridiculous. i don't need to see pictures of a diseased lung to know that smoking is bad for me and can make me get cancer. it's not really fair that the tobacco companies have to put these things on their packaging, yet other companies that make harmful products don't have to do anything like that.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

that is ridiculous. i don't need to see pictures of a diseased lung to know that smoking is bad for me and can make me get cancer. it's not really fair that the tobacco companies have to put these things on their packaging, yet other companies that make harmful products don't have to do anything like that.

needled24-7
agreed. every McDonalds box and wrapper should have a picture of a really really obese person. enjoy your burgers!
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

Damn people are stupid, they kill people, posting pictures of the bodies fromHolocaust wouldn't be excessive.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts

Ug, your analogies are terrible. Guns, Alcohol, and McDonalds burgers have uses/functions that will not kill you if you're smart. You can use a gun, drink alcohol, and eat McDonalds and not suffer any ill effects.

Smoking, as it stands, is the only one of those which has no wide-spread non-harmful application.

That said, those pictures are just disturbing. If this does go through, buying cigs for my parents is going to be even more awkward and unpleasant.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#7 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I wonder why the article starts out with Columbia, S.C. if this is a federal thing...not that this story having to do with the area I live in would shock me or anything. I work at a drug store that sells more cigarettes than any other store in the region. I don't see these images slowing down sells one bit.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Most countries around the world has those pictures on the packaging.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

Good, I hope they win. FDA went too far.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaudiFury

Blue-Sky

I noticed that a lot. surprised when i was in Honduras the cigarette boxes had those pics. Didn't seem to stop them from smoking it though >_>

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DroidPhysX

Blue-Sky
Most?
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CaveJohnson1

Chutebox

Let's protect the companies that have killed millions

Next week lets open a memorial to hitler and burn down the Holocaust museum.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

CaveJohnson1

I don't see how they're protecting them. And to be honest, if you smoke and you get lung cancer, who's at fault? The tobacco company or the 20 year smoker?
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

DroidPhysX

I don't see how they're protecting them. And to be honest, if you smoke and you get lung cancer, who's at fault? The tobacco company or the 20 year smoker?

Both, studies show that people honestly don't think they're going to get addicted.

Once you're addicted, it's not a choice anymore, it's an addiction, it's slavery. It's as much the drug dealers fault as it is the addict.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Nibroc420

If you want to, i suppose you could open a memorial for Hitler. After all, he was an important person within the last century, he did a lot.

At this point, I'm fairly certain you are never serious.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

CaveJohnson1

Honestly...**** that.

They're selling a legal product. There are already warning labels. They've already been all-but-prohibited from ADVERTISING the product.

If the product is so ****ing bad, then the government should have some balls and ban it.

Those kinds of labels don't convey any actual information about the health risks that isn't available in standard old text. It's essentially nothing but shock propaganda, like how anti-abortion groups put up billboards showing pictures of dead fetuses. Here's the thing...agree with the practice or not, at least those dead fetus billboards are put up by those who OPPOSE abortion rather than the ones who PERFORM abortions. This is indeed a company who is selling a LEGAL product being forced to use emotionally driven non-informational propaganda in order to tell ALL of its customers to NOT USE THE PRODUCT. And yeah, at that point...just freaking ban the stuff already.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 topsemag55
I wonder why the article starts out with Columbia, S.C. if this is a federal thing...not that this story having to do with the area I live in would shock me or anything. I work at a drug store that sells more cigarettes than any other store in the region. I don't see these images slowing down sells one bit. Amnesiac23
Tobacco is grown in the Carolinas, so the companies are there.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]Let's protect the companies that have killed millions

majoras_wrath

If you want to, i suppose you could open a memorial for Hitler After all, he was an important person within the last century, he did a lot.

Hitler DID do a lot in the last century, are you suggesting he didn't?

Just because i enjoy playing devil's advocate a lot, doesn't mean i'm NEVER serious :P

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blue-Sky

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

DroidPhysX

Most?

well not most, but quite a few lol. Here's a sample

Brazil

Singapore

Canada

Thailand

Australia

All these counties implement tobacco warning labels and while they all may not have graphic images, it's only a matter of time before they all do.

Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Taiwan ,croatia,European Union, Austria and Germany, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Irel and Italy,The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Moldova, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Russian Federation, Serbia, SingaporeSwitzerland, Somalila, South Korea, Thailand Turkey, Ukraine, United States of America

TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts

Challenge Accepted.Fifth Largest US Tobacco Company

The FDA must be having fun bullying an entire industry around, what a power trip.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] If you want to, i suppose you could open a memorial for Hitler After all, he was an important person within the last century, he did a lot.Nibroc420

Just because i enjoy playing devil's advocate a lot, doesn't mean i'm NEVER serious :P

Some indication when you are playing devils advocate would be nice...otherwise I think you are straight up trolling. ;)
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] At this point, I'm fairly certain you are never serious.majoras_wrath

Some indication when you are playing devils advocate would be nice...otherwise I think you are straight up trolling. ;)

Pfft, such an indication would result in my post being pointless.
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

useless. my brother just ended up smoking more so he could collect them all....it was like pokemon

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blue-Sky

useless. my brother just ended up smoking more so he could collect them all....it was like pokemon

blackacidevil96

I was a fan of dead baby fetus myself.

Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

[QUOTE="blackacidevil96"]

Blue-Sky

I was a fan of dead baby fetus myself.

hahaha i think that was the first one he got. this was while we were in australia btw

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I agree that this is pushing it. I think the warning labels are already stupid as it is. Everyone, even small children, are aware of the risks of smoking. Labels and pictures aren't going to stop people from buying cigarettes because they either don't care or are convinced that they'll be the exception to the rule.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]Let's protect the companies that have killed millions

MrGeezer

Honestly...**** that.

They're selling a legal product. There are already warning labels. They've already been all-but-prohibited from ADVERTISING the product.

If the product is so ****ing bad, then the government should have some balls and ban it.

Those kinds of labels don't convey any actual information about the health risks that isn't available in standard old text. It's essentially nothing but shock propaganda, like how anti-abortion groups put up billboards showing pictures of dead fetuses. Here's the thing...agree with the practice or not, at least those dead fetus billboards are put up by those who OPPOSE abortion rather than the ones who PERFORM abortions. This is indeed a company who is selling a LEGAL product being forced to use emotionally driven non-informational propaganda in order to tell ALL of its customers to NOT USE THE PRODUCT. And yeah, at that point...just freaking ban the stuff already.

It does need to be banned.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

I love how Cigars are always left out of the tobacco propaganda campaigns. I smoke them and would be rather upset if the FDA tried to pull this stunt. It's really indefensible imo.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nibroc420

I love how Cigars are always left out of the tobacco propaganda campaigns. I smoke them and would be rather upset if the FDA tried to pull this stunt. It's really indefensible imo.

limpbizkit818
Upset? Why? They're just changing the boxes, it's not like they're changing the contents. "Oh no, my box of cancer-sticks now has a label telling me that they cause cancer. The world will end" Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

CaveJohnson1

If one doesn't know the effects of cigarettes, those pictures won't help them.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

The pictures with lines like "Smoking causes cancer" wont help people that didn't previously know that?
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

Nibroc420

Upset? Why? They're just changing the boxes, it's not like they're changing the contents. "Oh no, my box of cancer-sticks now has a label telling me that they cause cancer. The world will end" Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture.

If it's not a big deal than why do you care if the pictures are on the box? If it's not a big deal why do it in the first place?

High end cigar boxes are often very nice. These pictures would ruin them.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

limpbizkit818

If it's not a big deal than why do you care if the pictures are on the box? If it's not a big deal why do it in the first place?

Why put warning labels on things that are dangerous, and with use can kill you.... Hmm i dont know, maybe we should think about it :roll:
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 topsemag55
High end cigar boxes are often very nice. These pictures would ruin them.limpbizkit818
Agreed. A fine cigar can also come in a vacuum container. A good cigar can be one of the best smokes available, as relaxing as a pipe.
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CaveJohnson1

[QUOTE="CaveJohnson1"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

I'm thinking shock therapy, maybe a brutal beating.....

how people can be so blatantly stupid and use I'll never know.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Hmm, part of me thinks that the FDA went a bit far on that one.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Upset? Why? They're just changing the boxes, it's not like they're changing the contents. "Oh no, my box of cancer-sticks now has a label telling me that they cause cancer. The world will end" Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture.Nibroc420

Why put warning labels on things that are dangerous, and with use can kill you.... Hmm i dont know, maybe we should think about it :roll:

I believe that warning labels are already used.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420

coolbeans90

So whats the big deal then? They're bigger, oh no!
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 topsemag55

coolbeans90
Off-topic, but glad to see you're back, coolbeans.:)
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
.... Come to canada and see what our cigarette packs look like, you can't buy a pack without an open brain, disgusting teeth, or other not quite as bad sights on the pack. But, I think the government shouldn't try to control what their citizens consume. They have no right. I mean, We're supposed to live in a free country.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nibroc420
.... Come to canada and see what our cigarette packs look like, you can't buy a pack without an open brain, disgusting teeth, or other not quite as bad sights on the pack. But, I think the government shouldn't try to control what their citizens consume. They have no right. I mean, We're supposed to live in a free country.Lost-Memory
It is. They're just making people more aware of the problems associated with smoking.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Why put warning labels on things that are dangerous, and with use can kill you.... Hmm i dont know, maybe we should think about it :roll:Nibroc420

So whats the big deal then? They're bigger, oh no!

Everyone knows what the **** smoking does, warning labels already exist -- the pictures are just annoying/disgusting to look at. It's one thing to inform a person about the risks associated with unhealthy activities or for that matter aid them in stopping said behavior at their behest. It's another to be a complete asshat.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

topsemag55

Off-topic, but glad to see you're back, coolbeans.:)

Thanks, man.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="Lost-Memory"].... Come to canada and see what our cigarette packs look like, you can't buy a pack without an open brain, disgusting teeth, or other not quite as bad sights on the pack. But, I think the government shouldn't try to control what their citizens consume. They have no right. I mean, We're supposed to live in a free country.Nibroc420
It is. They're just making people more aware of the problems associated with smoking.

No, no it's not.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Upset? Why? They're just changing the boxes, it's not like they're changing the contents. "Oh no, my box of cancer-sticks now has a label telling me that they cause cancer. The world will end" Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture.Nibroc420

Nice spin. You're own words in response to my complaint about graphic pictures on cigar boxes was "Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture"

So if it's not a big deal (your own words), why would you advocate for it? Graphic pictures are far more than your standard warning label. And like I said, Cigar boxes are often very well made and crafted. A picture of someone's lungs would be a big deal. I am guessing you don't smoke cigars? Having one or two a week is not going to kill you and I have never seen a study that says otherwise. These pictures would be way overboard and that is why I said I would be upset. What's next, pictures of car accidents on vodka bottles?

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"] High end cigar boxes are often very nice. These pictures would ruin them.topsemag55
Agreed. A fine cigar can also come in a vacuum container. A good cigar can be one of the best smokes available, as relaxing as a pipe.

You can get the best of both worlds: a fancy box that contains individually vaccum sealed Cigars. Yummy.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nibroc420

limpbizkit818

Nice spin. You're own words in response to my complaint about graphic pictures on cigar boxes was "Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's a picture"

So if it's not a big deal (your own words), why would you advocate for it? Graphic pictures are far more than your standard warning label. And like I said, Cigar boxes are often very well made and crafted. A picture of someone's lungs would be a big deal. I am guessing you don't smoke cigars? Having one or two a week is not going to kill you and I have never seen a study that says otherwise. These pictures would be way overboard and that is why I said I would be upset. What's next, pictures of car accidents on vodka bottles?

How is that even similar? Drinking Vodka doesn't cause car accidents. Driving while drunk causes car accidents. Smoking, at ALL, increases your chances of cancer, impotence, as well as a ton of different problems. Yes, smoking 1 or 2 cigars a week increases your chances of cancer. Yes, it's a picture, it's there so people cant go "Oh, i didn't know smoking caused X,Y,Z problems :o" They're not that graphic, there's nothing super offensive about it, they're there to help educate the ignorant. Why do you support the tobacco industry? dont you know their leading products contribute to millions of deaths a year?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 topsemag55
What's next, pictures of car accidents on vodka bottles?limpbizkit818
Please don't give Kathleen Sebelius any ideas.:lol:
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"] High end cigar boxes are often very nice. These pictures would ruin them.limpbizkit818

You can get the best of both worlds: a fancy box that contains individually vaccum sealed Cigars. Yummy.

I too smoke a cigar on rare occasion (like really rare). good stuff.