To fellow Canadians. Your internet is going to **** more then it usually does.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110128/backlash-grows-over-internet-billing-decision-110128/

To further elaborate i'll have George snuffleupagus explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rUsRCyS6PU&feature=player_embedded

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
wow that's terrible if it does actually affect enough people.
HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HaloReachGOTY
Member since 2010 • 786 Posts

ya man i went over the last two months. i hate that ****. i signed the petition.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Yup, that's just stupid.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Yup, I hope it doesn't go through.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

I have a cap of 60GB a month and apparently my family uses 2 gb on average a day. So im just under the cap every month. Its brutal. I liked unlimited...

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.

What if they up the price for each GB? Either way this is total crap, I hope this doesn't pass.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 F1_2004

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
What if they up the price for each GB? Either way this is total crap, I hope this doesn't pass.

Yes that would be bad, but that's not really changing the way they're billing, that's just a straight-up ripoff.

The issue, as I understand it, is that the government forced the big providers to allow small providers to use their networks in exchange for paying a set "rent" per month. This was done to prevent a monopoly, but what it basically did was allow small companies to use the multi-million dollar networks of the big companies and skim its customers by offering unlimited downloading at the expense of the big networks.

Once again, I'd be okay if modest internet use ends up costing you the same amount as it currently does, because I'm aware of a small minority of people that's just sucking up a big part of the internet bandwidth available. What I'm almost certain will happen, is that everyone will end up paying the same base price they currently do, and just get charged ridiculous fees for unavoidably going over the low cap.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="F1_2004"]I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.

Yes that would be bad, but that's not really changing the way they're billing, that's just a straight-up ripoff.

Internet/phone/cable was always a ripoff :P
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 F1_2004
There's a bunch of petitions online that I encourage people to sign, and even mail your local MP with concerns. People in Canada really need to stand up for their rights more often, we always take **** far too easily.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.F1_2004

Which ISP is that?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts
Guys, this makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is charging a flat fee for unlimited access to a finite resource. I mean, there are only so many ones and zeros - when they're gone, they're gone!
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Guys, this makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is charging a flat fee for unlimited access to a finite resource. I mean, there are only so many ones and zeros - when they're gone, they're gone!mattbbpl

I've never been charged by use for watching television, which usus the same network as the internet for many isps.

As it stands the move it meter is an attempt to prevent the tv segments of their business from dieing, by making the internet incredibly expensive.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Guys, this makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is charging a flat fee for unlimited access to a finite resource. I mean, there are only so many ones and zeros - when they're gone, they're gone!htekemerald

I've never been charged by use for watching television, which usus the same network as the internet for many isps.

As it stands the move it meter is an attempt to prevent the tv segments of their business from dieing, by making the internet incredibly expensive.

My comment was sarcasm.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Angry_Bosmer
Member since 2008 • 1432 Posts

it only really affects unlimited users. i used to be on such network and they were horrible. Bell and Videotron's banthwith caps are really low for what you pay for. Providers should provide more flexible plans. Usualy to get a bigger bandwith cap you need to buy a faster speed. the only reason high bandwith plans are high is because your paying for an increased speed.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Ugh I used to be on a small ISP that charged us out the ass if we went even a little over our allotted time or space every month (back in the dialup days) and then a year or two ago, started charging us for watching youtube videos. Watching. YOUTUBE. Videos. :/ Needless to say we switched after that, that's bull. This is just not fair.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
That's a great idea. I'm sick of spending $110 for a 5gb and a 12gb monthly cap.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 F1_2004

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]I've got it made in Vancouver. Use a small internet provider that charges me pennies for the first 10gb, and then very cheap prices for every gb over that. Even during a month of heavy downloading it ends up far cheaper than what the bs large companies are charging, and the speed is -literally- ten times faster. And all of this is being orchestrated over the networks of the big companies :D This to me is okay. What I'm worried about is that the companies won't lower the base price, but rather keep it the same and just lower the cap and charge you even more for going over. This is a problem, not so much because it's pay-for-use, but because your internet just got a lot more expensive.thelastguy

Which ISP is that?

Urban Networks. $10 for 10GB, and 25cents per GB after that. Speed is pretty crazy, especially on off-peak hours.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

That's a great idea. I'm sick of spending $110 for a 5gb and a 12gb monthly cap. Mr_Cumberdale

This isn't about cellphone plans

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

What? This is a terrible idea!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't think there are 'limited users' in my country. So i was quite shocked. But seeing as apparently hardly anyone in canada is an unlimited user, just go on with your lives like nothing is happening. Don't you see, as long as it doesn't hit you, it doesn't matter. Who cares whether it's wrong or right, yes?

Charging for bandwith used or whatever, could be a more fair system than most... BUT not if you charge a 100 to 400 fold the cost! And apparently that is what this is all about.

People in canada should try find their own ways of accessing internet without an ISP before they can do this.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
The thing that also sucks is that independent companies like TekSavvy, who use Bell's DSL lines, will have to adhere to a cap as well. Companies like them and Acanac (at least in Windsor) offer some damned good unlimited plans.
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

no i was about to switch to teksavvy! but for its cable

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Man the CRTC has been stupider than they usually are recently. Impressive feat really.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Death to the CRTC!!!

http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/node/21

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Rogers already has bandwidth caps. They've been in place for years. This would basically only affect smaller ISP's who offer unlimited.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

has any price changes been announced yet?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 F1_2004

has any price changes been announced yet?

halokillerz

People are already being hit with the price changes on their bills. It's horse ****. Time to loot the capital ala Egypt. Americans feel free to partake, god knows we owe you for that time we torched the White House.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
A few months back my internet speed was increased from 10mbps to 15mbps, but my U/D cap was lowered from 95GB to 80. I live in Ottawa, so there really aren't any decent competitors to Rogers. Teksavvy have been slowly bringing cable(loaned off rogers) into niche areas of the city, but it's only in a few neighbourhoods. It's a pile of crap, really.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
lol at george snuffleupagus Anyway, that's a terrible idea. I like to play lots of online games and stream videos music and movies.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F1_2004
Just as i thought, prices aren't going down. The networks are charging the same freaking price, but bumping the cap down by a huge amount. So basically they just jacked up their profits by a ton, just like that, without giving us anything in exchange.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Just as i thought, prices aren't going down. The networks are charging the same freaking price, but bumping the cap down by a huge amount. So basically they just jacked up their profits by a ton, just like that, without giving us anything in exchange. F1_2004
I have Bell to thank for me switching to cable internet three years back. Their DSL was crap, their packages sucked, and when cable was made available, I jumped on it quick. I can only hope Rogers won't slash their packages even more than they already have. Funny thing is, they're such a rich company with such great profit margins, they could make a great PR move and pull in disgruntled Bell customers by the horde without taking too large of a hit. They probably won't though. :P
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 F1_2004

I have Bell to thank for me switching to cable internet three years back. Their DSL was crap, their packages sucked, and when cable was made available, I jumped on it quick.
I can only hope Rogers won't slash their packages even more than they already have. Funny thing is, they're such a rich company with such great profit margins, they could make a great PR move and pull in disgruntled Bell customers by the horde without taking too large of a hit. They probably won't though. Lockedge

Some hope remaining, looks like all those online petitions made it to the right people:

"OTTAWA-The Harper government strongly hinted Tuesday Ottawa will reverse a CRTC ruling significantly driving up the cost of using the Internet that has consumers and businesses fuming."

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/931775--ottawa-to-review-gouging-internet-charges