TMZ: Leno hosting Tonight Show again, Conan leaving

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/14/jay-leno-conan-obrien-nbc-the-tonight-show/

This sucks so much, Jay Leno ****** David Letterman over and now ****** Conan over.

Just like with Letterman, they claimed to be good friends and now they will become enemies.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I like Jay, but I feel sorry for Conan if this is what's going to happen. I watched him years back when I was like 10 or 12. I didn't watch Leno at all back then.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well damn.

I don't know, I liked Leno, but I always liked Conan more, so this disappoints me greatly.

I am mostly angered at NBC, and slightly at Leno. But oh well, Conan will be back I'm sure, on a different network or maybe cable. I may watch Jay again if his show was better than his last one, but we will see.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

Bone-headed move on NBC's part if true. This is only going to:

A) Alienate Jay's original audience

B) Alienate Conan's audience

C) Make NBC look like a bunch of know-nothings

D) Cause me to watch Letterman for a while...

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts
Thats pretty dumb :/
3sFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 3sFan
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts

I like Jay, but I feel sorry for Conan if this is what's going to happen. I watched him years back when I was like 10 or 12. I didn't watch Leno at all back then.

dog64

I think Conan is better. He's more active on the show then Leno.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Conan is a whiny baby for not moving his show 30 min. Oh well, I expect to see him on Fox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
They should have never even created The Jay Leno Show. Even after that, they shouldn't have caved in to Jay's demands as Conan got The Tonight Show fair and square. They should have fired Jay and canceled The Jay Leno Show.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
That's a really stupid thing to do. Everyone's going to be annoyed for various reasons, so its a lose-lose situation. Unless you're David Letterman.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Doesn't Conan get like $60 million now...I say he is ze winnar...No?
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

Wow, I can't believe they actually went through with it.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spazzx625
They should have never even created The Jay Leno Show. Even after that, they shouldn't have caved in to Jay's demands as Conan got The Tonight Show fair and square. They should have fired Jay and canceled The Jay Leno Show.Genetic_Code
Ironically, they gave Jay his own show to prevent him from jumping ship to another network and being Tonight Show competition...Now they have simply made a mess of things and likely created even fiercer competition in Conan...
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Time, of course, for Hitler's input (caution: contains subtitled language, and I don't just mean German)
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

So I think what we've learned from all of this is that NBC is not so good when it comes to making changes vis-a-vis the Tonight Show.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spazzx625

So I think what we've learned from all of this is that NBC is not so good when it comes to making changes vis-a-vis the Tonight Show.

-Sun_Tzu-
I dunno...Jack Paar left without too much trou...Oh...Nevermind.
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#16 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

I like both of them, and I hate to see Conan go. Hopefully Jay will have a good show.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Nothing like tossing the baby out with the bathwater.
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Samurai_Xavier

Time, of course, for Hitler's input (caution: contains subtitled language, and I don't just mean German)xaos

Lmao. Hitler's input is always hilarious.

But on topic, what I think of this is that it seems NBC is more afraid of losing Jay Leno than Conan. They are willing to lose Conan and his entire audience to be able to keep Jay in any way possible.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I think it pretty dumb on NBC part if they think Leno can host the Tonight Show for another 20 to 25 years like Conan could have. I don't think Leno can host it into his 80s...
trialedbyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trialedbyfire
Member since 2010 • 81 Posts
leno needs to learn how to be humble and graciously step down from the throne he held for so long. i personally find him not very funny at all . i dont watch those shows too often but when i did i would almost always watch letterman, then switch over during commercials and then right back. letterman is way better than leno. this being said i dont really enjoy conan but he is much better than leno and great for a younger audience . i personally prefer colbert / jon stewart to these shows but all that being said, leno made such a big mistake here, and ally my respect for him has been tarnished. a guy with as many years in the business as him should be proud of the work he has done, and let someone younger take the position, he has had his time and then some.
Avatar image for 1stormbringer77
1stormbringer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1stormbringer77
Member since 2009 • 108 Posts

I have to agree,Leno should have just retired and left Conan alone.I'm not sure but I think Leno has more cars than I do in months of life,and at 44 years old thats more cars than anyone needs.Leno,retire from the talk show caravan and go back to stand-up and occasional t.v. sit-com show ups,saturday night live and a movie every now and then.Let Conan O.and Jimmy F. make it through without you messing up thier careers.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#22 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Good. Maybe Conan will finally go to a network that will let his wings soar high into the star's depths otherwise known as freedom.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
[QUOTE="xaos"]Time, of course, for Hitler's input (caution: contains subtitled language, and I don't just mean German)

Wow buddy you have no idea how happy that made me lol
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
That really sucks. Conan seems to really have become one of the most respected late night hosts over recent years, and it's sad to see him let go'd so easily like that after he worked so hard getting to where he was. I hope with this change of events, it will open up better opportunities for him.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178862 Posts
Probably a mistake......
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Once again this is the network that cancelled Kings, and replaced it with two medical shoes. One of them makes being a doctor some kind of mix between 24, and ER. While the other one is about a nurse who knows more then the doctors do. Screwing Conan over seems like a drop in the bucket at this point. Conan was better then Leno though cause Leno never seemed very funny to me.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
That is just ridiculous and it makes Leno look like a complete ass for accepting the deal. I hope Conan moves to Fox and destroys Leno in the ratings.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

That's a shame but I suppose it was something of an inevitability. Well I suppose it's back to watching The Daily Show/Colbert at 11 again instead of the later repeats for me.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
Oh well... I like Conan, but I never watch him since it conflicts with the Colbert Report. Kind of a bummer nonetheless, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

Screwed up, but somehow I'm not surprised. NBC is gonna paint Conan to be such a loser that another network will be hesitantto pick him up, and the network will get their golden boy back in the 11:30 slot. This is beyond F-ed up, but it's the nature of the business, I suppose.

GTA3_Darkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GTA3_Darkel
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

Doesn't Conan get like $60 million now...I say he is ze winnar...No?rawsavon
Not really. More than likely that money is gonna go away in a matter of years and he'll be put on some random channel (Fox more than likely) which will probably lead him to his show being canned quickly. Not only that but the people who moved from Canada to LA to help with Conan's show will be out of a job too.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Screwed up, but somehow I'm not surprised. NBC is gonna paint Conan to be such a loser that another network will be hesitantto pick him up, and the network will get their golden boy back in the 11:30 slot. This is beyond F-ed up, but it's the nature of the business, I suppose.

Hallenbeck77

The thing is...what are they going to do now? As far as I understand it Jay's camp had made it somewhat known that he would only stay on up until the winter Olympics air and then he's leaving for good once again. If they can't woo him into another contract then that leaves them in quite a bind. Whatever ratings drop they suffered due to Conan not being hugely popular is going to be nothing compared to dropping in a untested person. At least Conan came with a built in following on which he hoped to add to as the months went on.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
NBC completely screwed over Conan. I used to watch Leno on the Tonight Show but never watched his new show...and after this, I'm not going to go back to watching the Tonight Show. I guess I'll just watch Colbert + Letterman instead
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

There has to be more to this story

Conan, Leno, and NBC must not be telling us something

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Doesn't Conan get like $60 million now...I say he is ze winnar...No?GTA3_Darkel

Not really. More than likely that money is gonna go away in a matter of years and he'll be put on some random channel (Fox more than likely) which will probably lead him to his show being canned quickly. Not only that but the people who moved from Canada to LA to help with Conan's show will be out of a job too.

I am sure he can bring his staff along with him where ever he goes...plus he is getting 60 million in addition to his next deal
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="GTA3_Darkel"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Doesn't Conan get like $60 million now...I say he is ze winnar...No?rawsavon

I am sure he can bring his staff along with him where ever he goes...plus he is getting 60 million in addition to his next deal

It's actually between $40-45 million...and he may not even get that. If Conan quits the Tonight Show because he doesn't want to go on at midnight, NBC could find him in breach of his contract, which means, he doesn't get dime one. His contract never specified what time the Tonight Show is supposed to air, and NBC will use that loophole to not pay him.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="GTA3_Darkel"] Not really. More than likely that money is gonna go away in a matter of years and he'll be put on some random channel (Fox more than likely) which will probably lead him to his show being canned quickly. Not only that but the people who moved from Canada to LA to help with Conan's show will be out of a job too.

Hallenbeck77

It's actually between $40-45 million...and he may not even get that. If Conan quits the Tonight Show because he doesn't want to go on at midnight, NBC could find him in breach of his contract, which means, he doesn't get dime one. His contract never specified what time the Tonight Show is supposed to air, and NBC will use that loophole to not pay him.

:o I see -I heard they had to pay if they took it away from him...I did not know about the time slot loophole
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I am sure he can bring his staff along with him where ever he goes...plus he is getting 60 million in addition to his next deal rawsavon

:o I see -I heard they had to pay if they took it away from him...I did not know about the time slot loophole

That's the fault of Conan's lawyer. In a business contract, you have to be very specific about things like that. If NBC wanted, they could put The Tonight Show on at 9 in the morning and STILL call it The Tonight Show. And because of that, he could really get hosed. I imagine that the network will do this to get out of paying him.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"] It's actually between $40-45 million...and he may not even get that. If Conan quits the Tonight Show because he doesn't want to go on at midnight, NBC could find him in breach of his contract, which means, he doesn't get dime one. His contract never specified what time the Tonight Show is supposed to air, and NBC will use that loophole to not pay him.

Hallenbeck77

That's the fault of Conan's lawyer. In a business contract, you have to be very specific about things like that. If NBC wanted, they could put The Tonight Show on at 9 in the morning and STILL call it The Tonight Show. And because of that, he could really get hosed. I imagine that the network will do this to get out of paying him.

Better lawyers....all about who has better lawyers writing/reviewing the terms
-sucks for Conan
-but if I was him, I would stand my ground and just do the show when they want (even though it will get killed in ratings)...maybe they would be forced to cancel it/fire him and pay up

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Every where I go I hear that people feel sorry Conan and that they prefer his show to Leno's. Then how come he is getting such bad ratings. If this is true then Conan wouldn't be leaving if people were watching his show.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] :o I see -I heard they had to pay if they took it away from him...I did not know about the time slot loophole rawsavon

Better lawyers....all about who has better lawyers writing/reviewing the terms
-sucks for Conan
-but if I was him, I would stand my ground and just do the show when they want (even though it will get killed in ratings)...maybe they would be forced to cancel it/fire him and pay up

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for him in the next week or so.

DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

I've been watching both Leno and Conan this past week to see everything that's going on, and then I catch up with the other late night shows the next day on YouTube. I've been waiting for Conan to take over the Tonight Show since it was announced in 2004. The whole situation sucks, but I'll watch Conan on whatever network he goes to.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Wait, let me get this straight - Jimmy Fallon has his own show and Conan is unemployed?

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Samurai_Xavier

Every where I go I hear that people feel sorry Conan and that they prefer his show to Leno's. Then how come he is getting such bad ratings. If this is true then Conan wouldn't be leaving if people were watching his show.Diablo-B

The same reason Fox News is #1 in ratings.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Wait, let me get this straight - Jimmy Fallon has his own show and Conan is unemployed?

entropyecho

If you think Jimmy Fallon is bad, you obviously haven't seen Carson Daly's show.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

That's complete bull. Well, Conan's going to get another show and I hope to God that he blows that arrogant, unfunny **** Leno out of the water. Until then, it looks like I'll be watching Letterman, who should have been on the Tonight Show in the first place.

DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Every where I go I hear that people feel sorry Conan and that they prefer his show to Leno's. Then how come he is getting such bad ratings. If this is true then Conan wouldn't be leaving if people were watching his show.Samurai_Xavier

The argument was made that Leno's 10PM show did so badly that no one was watching the affiliate news shows and consequently no one was watching Conan afterword.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Samurai_Xavier

[QUOTE="Samurai_Xavier"]

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Every where I go I hear that people feel sorry Conan and that they prefer his show to Leno's. Then how come he is getting such bad ratings. If this is true then Conan wouldn't be leaving if people were watching his show.DrFish62

The argument was made that Leno's 10PM show did so badly that no one was watching the affiliate news shows and consequently no one was watching Conan afterword.

Thats not what I meant. I meant that Fox New's audience doesnt post here. It gets a lot of hate here, yet its #1. Conan's audience does post here, he gets a lot of love here, but he's doing poorly in ratings because the audience is much smaller.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
Every where I go I hear that people feel sorry Conan and that they prefer his show to Leno's. Then how come he is getting such bad ratings. If this is true then Conan wouldn't be leaving if people were watching his show.Diablo-B
its because the tonight show never had a killer lead in, back when leno was hosting it he had shows like ER and Heroes and Law and Order as lead ins to the news so people wouldnt change the channel, now conans lead in was leno which took away alot of his joke material and people just turned it off or swtiched to letterman cause they already saw leno
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#50 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
At least Conan is funny. Leno's monologues are terrible.