Thousands of People Rally in All Fifty States to Support Wisconsin Protesters

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Power to the People, b*****es.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I am happy that people aren't getting laid off.

I guess we could cut it all down and just fire people until the budget is balanced. While we are at it, we can raise the taxes on non-public workers and increase taxes on the businesses. It's not like they haven't had to cut their spending, cut their employees benifits, and lay off people in the past few years.

Public worker unions losing their power is regrettable but from what I've seen of public workers unions, they are a burden on the taxpayers and bring loads of inefficency to the government and other public sectors.

There is probably a good way around this, but how can you fully support a system that allows poor employees to not be fired and good employees to not be rewarded.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Theokhoth
Oh, wow, apparently a local pizza place has been getting calls from all over the world (not just the country) to deliver pizzas to the protesters. I think I'm gonna call and order them a pizza.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I guess we could cut it all down and just fire people until the budget is balanced. While we are at it, we can raise the taxes on non-public workers and increase taxes on the businesses. It's not like they haven't had to cut their spending, cut their employees benifits, and lay off people in the past few years.

Public worker unions losing their power is regrettable but from what I've seen of public workers unions, they are a burden on the taxpayers and bring loads of inefficency to the government and other public sectors.

Wasdie

Agreed. I don't want people laid off, but the unions have ridiculous collective bargaining powers.Some school districts you can't move a Xerox machine without calling the union. The public workers are making more than their private counterparts.

A Democratic governor would have a conflict of interest supporting the unions when he's supposed to be on the side of the taxpayers (public).

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

topsemag55

Agreed. I don't want people laid off, but the unions have ridiculous collective bargaining powers.Some school districts you can't move a Xerox machine without calling the union. The public workers are making more than their private counterparts.

A Democratic governor would have a conflict of interest supporting the unions when he's supposed to be on the side of the taxpayers (public).

Union's bring bloat and inefficiency and make the wallets of the leaders off of dues all off of lies that they actually help people. I don't buy it anymore. Unions had their place back in the 1800s when workers rights were non-existant. Now the government on both state and federal levels have made workers rights law...

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

topsemag55

False. Public employees in Wisconsin make LESS than their private sector counterparts PER HOUR.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Union's bring bloat and inefficiency and make the wallets of the leaders off of dues all off of lies that they actually help people. I don't buy it anymore. Unions had their place back in the 1800s when workers rights were non-existant. Now the government on both state and federal levels have made workers rights law...

Among those rights being the right to form unions. It's covered by freedom to assembly.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Theokhoth

False. Public employees in Wisconsin make LESS than their private sector counterparts PER HOUR.

They also pay far less into their retirement and healthcare benifits as well.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Theokhoth

Among those rights being the right to form unions. It's covered by freedom to assembly.

But what gives the public employee the right to job security, retirement, and healthcare that the private sector employee doesn't get?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

But what gives the public employee the right to job security, retirement, and healthcare that the private sector employee doesn't get?

My thoughts exactly; these rights should be extended to the private sector as well.

Unions negotiate their benefits. Their employers grant these benefits after negotiation. It's not a matter of unions saying "Gimme gimme gimme" and they're getting all they want without question; it's a two-way street.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Theokhoth

They will be making more once they find out how much dues were being pulled out by the state for the union. A lot of teachers, newly empowered to choose whether or not to pay union dues, will more than likely choose to keep that money.:P

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Among those rights being the right to form unions. It's covered by freedom to assembly.Theokhoth

My thoughts exactly; these rights should be extended to the private sector as well.

They aren't rights covered by our constitution and changing them would fundamentally change the society and economy that has made America become the economic leader it is.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

They will be making more once they find out how much dues were being pulled out by the state for the union. A lot of teachers, newly empowered to choose whether or not to pay union dues, will more than likely choose to keep that money.:P

What Theokhoth doesn't know is that unions are mandatory in most public positions in Wisconsin. Unions were never meant to be mandatory, but an option for workers who think they could benefit from being a part of a collective organization that fights for their rights.

However unions in Wisconsin have made themselves mandatory and now don't compete at all against non-unionized employees to actually bring benefits to their members. They sit there forcing dues, state retirement, and state healthcare systems on all of their employees. Their private options have been completely erased. The union employee cannot benefit from a private retirement fund nor from separate health insurance. They are forced to rely upon the states which is funded by the taxpayers.

I'm all for unions when they have a point and help their members. A union that has made itself mandatory to employees of a certain job is not a union, it's a layer of red tape. Public employees don't pay the taxes that private ones do AND they pay union dues to non-state employed union leaders. It's a double whammy when it comes to their share of the tax burden.

Coincidentally, a lot of the public employees want mroe taxes on private sector jobs and employees to solve the budget crisis. How is it fair for the private guys?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Theokhoth

Wasdie

They aren't rights covered by our constitution and changing them would fundamentally change the society and economy that has made America become the economic leader it is.

Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 topsemag55

What Theokhoth doesn't know is that unions are mandatory in most public positions in Wisconsin. Unions were never meant to be mandatory, but an option for workers who think they could benefit from being a part of a collective organization that fights for their rights.

However unions in Wisconsin have made themselves mandatory and now don't compete at all against non-unionized employees to actually bring benefits to their members. They sit there forcing dues, state retirement, and state healthcare systems on all of their employees. Their private options have been completely erased. The union employee cannot benefit from a private retirement fund nor from separate health insurance. They are forced to rely upon the states which is funded by the taxpayers.

I'm all for unions when they have a point and help their members. A union that has made itself mandatory to employees of a certain job is not a union, it's a layer of red tape. Public employees don't pay the taxes that private ones do AND they pay union dues to non-state employed union leaders. It's a double whammy when it comes to their share of the tax burden.

Coincidentally, a lot of the public employees want mroe taxes on private sector jobs and employees to solve the budget crisis. How is it fair for the private guys?

Wasdie

Good point. I've been watching the news as well, and seen exactly what you've posted.

debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 debusentel
Member since 2006 • 1792 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] False. Public employees in Wisconsin make LESS than their private sector counterparts PER HOUR.

Wasdie

However unions in Wisconsin have made themselves mandatory and now don't compete at all against non-unionized employees to actually bring benefits to their members. They sit there forcing dues, state retirement, and state healthcare systems on all of their employees. Their private options have been completely erased. The union employee cannot benifit from a private retirement fund nor from seperate health insurance. They are forced to rely upon the states which is funded by the taxpayers.

You are 100% correct. People really need to think about this. Whyare unions so against a worker from having the choice to join them, pay dues, ect... If I where to get a state job I should have the choice on wether to join/pay or not. Why dont they want them to have a choice?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] My thoughts exactly; these rights should be extended to the private sector as well.Theokhoth

Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world.

Like Greece right? Oh wait, how about Iceland?

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] My thoughts exactly; these rights should be extended to the private sector as well.Theokhoth

Flat out giving people job security makes them lazy and incompetent. The math teachers in my school didn't do anything because there weren't enough qualified math teachers in Tennessee, and they knew very well they weren't getting fired for slacking.
debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 debusentel

Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world. Theokhoth

Why? What is so terribly wrong with us? We have the number one economy/GDP in the whole world. This Utopian philosophy of "fairness" is ridiculous and the idea is really getting out of control lately.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Theokhoth

Wasdie

Because giving employees basic rights caused their economic crises, not, say, out of control, unregulated banks or housing bubbles.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth

cd_rom

Flat out giving people job security makes them lazy and incompetent. The math teachers in my school didn't do anything because there weren't enough qualified math teachers in Tennessee, and they knew very well they weren't getting fired for slacking.

I didn't say give them security to the point where they can't be fired; let's start with not having to worry about being fired at the drop of a hat.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Wasdie

Iceland? Ireland.

If you're going to bring up conservative talking points, at least get the country right. :P

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world. Theokhoth

Because giving employees basic rights caused their economic crises, not, say, out of control, unregulated banks or housing bubbles.

American employees don't have basic rights? Job security is a right? Healthcare is a right?

debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 debusentel

Flat out giving people job security makes them lazy and incompetent. The math teachers in my school didn't do anything because there weren't enough qualified math teachers in Tennessee, and they knew very well they weren't getting fired for slacking.cd_rom

Very true. In the private sector you have to work, have to perform or your gone. Ever wonder why it takes years for a new off-ramp to be built? or six months to get some street lights fixed? How about how much fun it is to go to the DMV?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world. GabuEx

Iceland? Ireland.

If you're going to bring up conservative talking points, at least get the country right. :P

No Iceland...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="cd_rom"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world. Theokhoth

I didn't say give them security to the point where they can't be fired; let's start with not having to worry about being fired at the drop of a hat.

But it's exactly what these public unions in Wisconsin have given it's members. Job security to the point where you don't even have to work.

If you do your job well you probably won't lose it. Most people aren't worried about getting fired 24/7.

I really question your work experiance if you think people are that afraid of getting fired constantly.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Enjoy paying inflated salaries to incompetent public workers out of your taxes.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wasdie  Moderator

This wouldn't be on the table if union's weren't a big part of debt causeing problem. Source

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Indeed; it would improve our standing (socially and economically) and catch us up with the developed world. Theokhoth

A lot of that involves having to afford the basic cost of keeping people. Unions (and people in general) have a tendency to act like the government just has this unlimited supply of cash and resources to just flash around, but they don't (although they very often act like it). The money has to come from somewhere.

So to prevent the school budget from being cut, they decide to cut the transportation and road budget.

Then the construction unions start complaining.

Ok, so let's raise taxes on small businesses.

That brings their costs over the edge and a lot may have to lay off people from the private sector.

Ok. Let's raise taxes on large businesses.

It becomes to expensive to keep operations in the state, so they lay off people and move to a cheaper state.

Somebody has to suffer a bit.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth

Wasdie

American employees don't have basic rights? Job security is a right? Healthcare is a right?

I'm sorry but do you even know what it's like to actually have to earn a paycheck? Do you understand the value of a dollar and the value of work? All signs point to no.

American employees do have basic rights; like the right to form unions and collectively bargain within those unions. The problem is, so-called "fiscal conservatives" are constantly trying to trample upon those rights, using them as scapegoats for economic crises that either don't exist (such as in Wisconsin) or have nothing to do with the rights they receive. As for job security and healthcare, those are rights in ideal only--for now. To me, a dollar is valueless until society gives it value; if we didn't give it value, it'd be a worthless piece of paper. We can't eat, wear it, have sex with it, grind it into a medicine or take it with us when we die. At best it would serve as an extremely crappy substitute for toilet paper. But since we as a culture place such ridiculous values on a dollar, yes, I do understand the value of a dollar; hence why I support these ideals, to give that value a little more meaning than "If you don't have money, you must be lazy."
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Theokhoth

This wouldn't be on the table if union's weren't a big part of debt causeing problem. Source

Wasdie
If unions were a debt-causing problem then this discussion wouldn't be happening, as the unions in Wisconsin have agreed to every single one of the bill's provisions except collective bargaining, which has nothing to do with the debt. If this were a debt problem, Walker wouldn't have been signing in harmful tax cuts left and right in Wisconsin since he was sworn in. The unions aren't causing the debt. Walker's trying to pin them as scapegoats.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Iceland? Ireland.

No Iceland...

Oh, the juxtaposition with Greece gave me flashbacks to last year and I thought you were talking about that.

Nonetheless, how exactly are those countries' problems attributable to, um, public unions?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

Wasdie

An opinion article by Charles Krauthammer is not what I would consider a "source".

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Because giving employees basic rights caused their economic crises, not, say, out of control, unregulated banks or housing bubbles.Theokhoth

I'm sorry but do you even know what it's like to actually have to earn a paycheck? Do you understand the value of a dollar and the value of work? All signs point to no.

American employees do have basic rights; like the right to form unions and collectively bargain within those unions. The problem is, so-called "fiscal conservatives" are constantly trying to trample upon those rights, using them as scapegoats for economic crises that either don't exist (such as in Wisconsin) or have nothing to do with the rights they receive. As for job security and healthcare, those are rights in ideal only--for now. To me, a dollar is valueless until society gives it value; if we didn't give it value, it'd be a worthless piece of paper. We can't eat, wear it, have sex with it, grind it into a medicine or take it with us when we die. At best it would serve as an extremely crappy substitute for toilet paper. But since we as a culture place such ridiculous values on a dollar, yes, I do understand the value of a dollar; hence why I support these ideals, to give that value a little more meaning than "If you don't have money, you must be lazy."

Your idea of job security eliminates the idea of competition, your idea that healthcare is a basic human right is already met by our current system but you want more.

Private unions aren't the target here. Private unions still have a purpose. Public unions in Wisconsin have only added inefficiency to our entire government.

Also please understand what the conservatives are saying. They are saying that public unions have contributed a lot to the 3.2 billion dollar deficit that the state currently has. They aren't blaming the economic downturn because of unions.

Currency also gives your public employees purpose. If you don't value currency, these public employees are completely screwed. They make no product to trade with. In fact all service employees would be in trouble.

Currency has been around since the Greek and Roman times and has developed in seperate cultures and nations across the world while human society was being developed. It works.

debusentel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 debusentel

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Theokhoth

If unions were a debt-causing problem then this discussion wouldn't be happening, as the unions in Wisconsin have agreed to every single one of the bill's provisions except collective bargaining, which has nothing to do with the debt. If this were a debt problem, Walker wouldn't have been signing in harmful tax cuts left and right in Wisconsin since he was sworn in. The unions aren't causing the debt. Walker's trying to pin them as scapegoats.

It's being done now to get ahead of the problem later. I feel sorry for the state. If you were a new business would you really want to start-up in Wis. after seeing all this or would you go to a right to work state instead? Business's create jobs, not unions.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Iceland? Ireland.

GabuEx

No Iceland...

Oh, the juxtaposition with Greece gave me flashbacks to last year and I thought you were talking about that.

Nonetheless, how exactly are those countries' problems attributable to, um, public unions?

First off you're right about the source, I need to find where I actually learned about that.

Second this wasn't about the public unions rather about the countries who kept spending and spending until they went under.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Theokhoth

I love the phrase "harmful tax cuts". I love it.

The hell with it, lets increase taxes on business. God knows that they don't help our state at all.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GabuEx

Second this wasn't about the public unions rather about the countries who kept spending and spending until they went under.

Wasdie

Your own link says that Iceland's banks basically collapsed under foreign debt. Considering that the topic of discussion was the bargaining rights of public employees, I'm really not sure how this is a relevant case study...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

The hell with it, lets increase taxes on business. God knows that they don't help our state at all.

Wasdie

If there's no such thing as a harmful tax cut, why don't we cut taxes to zero?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

GabuEx

Because then the government can't even function. A healthy tax increase on businesses... that doesn't make sense to me. How does it promote them coming to Wisconsin, who does that promote them hiring employees, how does that promote them to keep workers pay and benifits...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Wasdie

Why exactly is the phrase, "Harmful tax cut," funny or ironic? Just as with any balance sheet, if you want to run a balanced budget you must take in at least as much money in revenues as you have in expenses. Tax cuts are harmful if they put the institution exercising them in the red. Even if the tax cuts are offset with spending cuts, the tax cuts are still harmful if the requisite spending cuts do more social harm than the tax cuts do social good.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth

Wasdie

I'd rather tax the people making seven-figure salaries, but "fiscal conservatives" killed that one. Let's cut education instead; lord knows all school does these days is breed more anti-business liberals.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Because then the government can't even function. A healthy tax increase on businesses... that doesn't make sense to me. How does it promote them coming to Wisconsin, who does that promote them hiring employees, how does that promote them to keep workers pay and benifits...

All tax cuts and tax increases are subject to the Laffer curve, a curve that notes that there is a certain level of taxation at which government revenues are maximized. (This is obvious from the fact that tax rates of both 0% and 100% will both create revenues of $0, given that no taxes are brought in at one end and that no incentive to make money is present at the other.) If a given tax rate is on the left side of the peak in the Laffer curve, increasing taxes will cause increased government revenue without stifling the incentive to make money of those on whom the tax increase was placed. In terms of closing a budget shortfall, this is a perfectly valid option.

The notion that taxation should only go down, down, down, never up, is a terribly fiscally irresponsible one. There is a proper level of taxation to create fiscally sound government operations, and it is not zero.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"]

Flat out giving people job security makes them lazy and incompetent. The math teachers in my school didn't do anything because there weren't enough qualified math teachers in Tennessee, and they knew very well they weren't getting fired for slacking.debusentel

Very true. In the private sector you have to work, have to perform or your gone. Ever wonder why it takes years for a new off-ramp to be built? or six months to get some street lights fixed? How about how much fun it is to go to the DMV?

Except it is not the government that builds the off ramps or maintains city lights. They contract that out so any time there are delays in that, you can blame the private sector that the government contracted because they were the cheapest. DMV is government but I have never had an issue unless it is in a metropolis type setting where everybody goes to one location rather then the other 9 because they were too incompetent to look at the map.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ttobba07

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

A tax cut does not promote job creation as conservatives like to believe. Big businesses operate on the production possibility frontier and the consumption possibility frontier. They produce at the efficient point on those frontiers where the make maximum revenue vs number of products produced/bought. They have ZERO incentive to add employees unless they are below that optimal point. Big businesses do not employ people out of the goodness of their heart, they employ just enough to obtain those optimal points. If they get a tax break, that extra money is just pocketed and provides no benefit to anybody but themselves. There is absolutely NO logical reason to give big business additional tax breaks other then to let the rich get richer.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

ttobba07

A tax cut does not promote job creation as conservatives like to believe. Big businesses operate on the production possibility frontier and the consumption possibility frontier. They produce at the efficient point on those frontiers where the make maximum revenue vs number of products produced/bought. They have ZERO incentive to add employees unless they are below that optimal point. Big businesses do not employ people out of the goodness of their heart, they employ just enough to obtain those optimal points. If they get a tax break, that extra money is just pocketed and provides no benefit to anybody but themselves. There is absolutely NO logical reason to give big business additional tax breaks other then to let the rich get richer.

They don't just "pocket" the money. Portions of it are towards expansion. This requires new employees. There is a **** ton of empirical evidence for the fact that higher tax rates on business, ceteris paribus, correlates to higher unemployment.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Oh, wow, apparently a local pizza place has been getting calls from all over the world (not just the country) to deliver pizzas to the protesters. I think I'm gonna call and order them a pizza.

That is awesome. You see bad examples of people all the time. It's really really nice to hear about people doing good things, since it does happen.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ttobba07

They don't just "pocket" the money. Portions of it are towards expansion. This requires new employees. There is a **** ton of empirical evidence for the fact that higher tax rates on business, ceteris paribus, correlates to higher unemployment.

coolbeans90

Business do not expand when the reach the optimal PPF and CPF ratios. When those ratios are reached, they DO pocket any extra the got from tax breaks.

Edit: I would also like to point out that the state with the highest current unemployment(Nevada) has ZERO income taxes on corporations or individuals and that is a trend across the nation. There is a balance between taxes and employment. Cut, cut, cut is a failure of an idea in every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If the people really want to support the protesters, they can all pay higher taxes to the state government so the budget gets balanced.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]They don't just "pocket" the money. Portions of it are towards expansion. This requires new employees. There is a **** ton of empirical evidence for the fact that higher tax rates on business, ceteris paribus, correlates to higher unemployment.

ttobba07

Business do not expand when the reach the optimal PPF and CPF ratios. When those ratios are reached, they DO pocket any extra the got from tax breaks.

Edit: I would also like to point out that the state with the highest current unemployment(Nevada) has ZERO income taxes on corporations or individuals and that is a trend across the nation. There is a balance between taxes and employment. Cut, cut, cut is a failure of an idea in every way.

Great. Those change. And my former statement stands.

And obviously there is a balance, given government spending obviously also plays some role in unemployment. No one has argued otherwise. You'd have to hold a lot of factors constant to make assumptions from states.