Thinking of moving to America...What's it like over there?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R3Miix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 R3Miix
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts

So i want to move to America and experience the wide variety of culture, the exotic people and food and lifestyle and food, cause we all know America has amazing food snacks. I think i would really enjoy it there, the people sound really friendly and cool. I want to live the American dream and enjoy the luxery of USA. I think America currently is probably the best place to live in the world right now imo.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

All countries have good culture, it depends were your moving from.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Well, Im sure you will get alot of different answers. America is big and every state is different. Here in Florida is pretty nice, especially if you live by the coast. I love going to the beach.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#4 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

If you go to Wisconsin, please remember to wear a cheese hat at all times.

That is how we distinguish the outsiders.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Well, there is no definitive way to describe the United States because it is so big and full of different cultures. I would say that it is like almost every other developed country though. You have idiot and you have nice people, although the idiots usually outshine the caring people. All in all it is a great place to live, but I wouldn't put it above any other developed country since I have yet to be anywhere outside the U.S. besides Canada.
R3Miix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R3Miix
Well, there is no definitive way to describe the United States because it is so big and full of different cultures. I would say that it is like almost every other developed country though. You have idiot and you have nice people, although the idiots usually outshine the caring people. All in all it is a great place to live, but I wouldn't put it above any other developed country since I have yet to be anywhere outside the U.S. besides Canada.SF_KiLLaMaN
But one thing that worries me is the corrupt cops, i know this probably sounds stupid but i've seen lots of reports of cops just randomly beating victims for no reason.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Just drop the american dream mentality and you'll be fine me thinks.
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

come to Canada. We have Poutine and Maple Syrup!! :P

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#9 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Well, there is no definitive way to describe the United States because it is so big and full of different cultures. I would say that it is like almost every other developed country though. You have idiot and you have nice people, although the idiots usually outshine the caring people. All in all it is a great place to live, but I wouldn't put it above any other developed country since I have yet to be anywhere outside the U.S. besides Canada.R3Miix
But one thing that worries me is the corrupt cops, i know this probably sounds stupid but i've seen lots of reports of cops just randomly beating victims for no reason.

Just avoid Los Angeles.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Where are you moving from?

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
It's really not anything like that. Where do you live at the moment?
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Doom and gloom! Its filled with racists southernerss( even in non-southern regions), healthcare costs will leave you homeless, no jobs, and a large anti-homosexual community, along with a large majority of radical christians , inefficient environment ruining cars, Fred Phelps, and worst of all capitalism!

Well, Im sure you will get alot of different answers. America is big and every state is different. Here in Florida is pretty nice, especially if you live by the coast. I love going to the beach.

Pikdum
Ayee Florida!
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Well, there is no definitive way to describe the United States because it is so big and full of different cultures. I would say that it is like almost every other developed country though. You have idiot and you have nice people, although the idiots usually outshine the caring people. All in all it is a great place to live, but I wouldn't put it above any other developed country since I have yet to be anywhere outside the U.S. besides Canada.R3Miix

These occorunces are extremely rare. You could live several lifetimes without ever running into anything like that.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I'd recommend at least visiting various parts of the country first to get a first hand feel of the place before making such a major decision. Anyhow, as someone who hasn't travelled much, I don't have much of a frame of reference. That said, I like it here.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Just ignore the collapsing economy, and you're set.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
The American dream is dead, and it's not coming back. Don't come here for that reason, you'll be gravely disappointed.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#17 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Don't let any America haters talk you down. There's good and people here like everywhere else. Do some research before you come though, obviously. You wouldn't want to buy a house on the wrong side of town.

R3Miix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R3Miix
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's really not anything like that. Where do you live at the moment?

Well to answer you question i live in the UK, i'm happy to live in the UK no problem. But i would just like to live in america and experience the culture, food and daily life like you see on tv
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="R3Miix"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's really not anything like that. Where do you live at the moment?

Well to answer you question i live in the UK, i'm happy to live in the UK no problem. But i would just like to live in america and experience the culture, food and daily life like you see on tv

No wonder you are moving for the food :P
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stanleycup98

I'd recommend at least visiting various parts of the country first to get a first hand feel of the place before making such a major decision. Anyhow, as someone who hasn't travelled much, I don't have much of a frame of reference. That said, I like it here.

coolbeans90
Compared to other places around the world, I would say it is the best place to live. It obviously isn't as nice or as high quality of a place to live as some other places (i.e. Scandinavian countries), and there are tons of flaws, but it is still probably the best place to live. All I know is that I will never move back to England.
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stanleycup98
[QUOTE="R3Miix"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's really not anything like that. Where do you live at the moment?

Ah. I'm originally from England and I moved to the US about 11 years ago. As I just said in my other post, I will never move back to England. It's certainly a great place to live and I love my home country, but whenever I go back and visit, I realize why I would never move back.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

One thing you have to realise about the US is that you can have extremes going either way. Either you can find yourself in an extremely nice area, an extremely bad area, or something in the middle. Move into more rural areas and you can have peace and quiet but you could find yourself needing a car due to no public transportation as well as you having few choices for Internet and local entertainment. On the other hand, move to a big city and you won't need a car and have several choices for Internet and local entertainment but you may face a lot of noise and possibly a higher crime rate. Corrupt cops exist but they're not nearly as bad as some of the places I've been. When I visit my wife's in-laws in the Philippines I dread dealing with the cops over there. They don't get paid enough so some of the bad ones may supplement their income through bribes.

R3Miix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R3Miix
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"][QUOTE="R3Miix"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]It's really not anything like that. Where do you live at the moment?

Ah. I'm originally from England and I moved to the US about 11 years ago. As I just said in my other post, I will never move back to England. It's certainly a great place to live and I love my home country, but whenever I go back and visit, I realize why I would never move back.

What's wrong with England?
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Well jeez I think you would have to give us a place where you would like to live. Every one of the 50 states are unique.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stanleycup98
[QUOTE="R3Miix"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"][QUOTE="R3Miix"] Well to answer you question i live in the UK, i'm happy to live in the UK no problem. But i would just like to live in america and experience the culture, food and daily life like you see on tv

Just personal preference. I find it too small, too fast-paced, too limited. Don't really like the culture and social expectations. Educational system is stupid. Country is behind the times technologically (seriously, I can't get free wifi in any restaurant?). I can't really say specifically. It's nothing that I cared about when I lived there, but when I moved to America and lived here for a while, I just came to notice a lot of the flaws. I just can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but I much prefer America.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="R3Miix"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"] Ah. I'm originally from England and I moved to the US about 11 years ago. As I just said in my other post, I will never move back to England. It's certainly a great place to live and I love my home country, but whenever I go back and visit, I realize why I would never move back. stanleycup98

Just personal preference. I find it too small, too fast-paced, too limited. Don't really like the culture and social expectations. Educational system is stupid. Country is behind the times technologically (seriously, I can't get free wifi in any restaurant?). I can't really say specifically. It's nothing that I cared about when I lived there, but when I moved to America and lived here for a while, I just came to notice a lot of the flaws. I just can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but I much prefer America.

Yeah but England has free healthcare, and American life is faster because we don't have government enforced 2 month vacations

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 stanleycup98

[QUOTE="stanleycup98"][QUOTE="R3Miix"] What's wrong with England?DivergeUnify

Yeah but England has free healthcare, and American life is faster because we don't have government enforced 2 month vacations

Yeah, one thing I wish America had. Insurance companies are a pain. I don't understand why Americans don't support socialized healthcare.
bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
I found it really strange that a few swedes i met in new york actually said they loved it more then sweden, and they were living in the bronx too.... Also the corrupt cops thing that can happen anywhere regardless of country and LA isnt that bad it just has crappy areas like any other major city
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
For the most part the US seems pretty nice. I'd rather live here (BC) than there but it's still a pretty nice place and most of the people are friendly enough. I would wait until after the 2012 elections though. Just in the off case some terrible thing happens.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I think this bloke needs to watch The Godfather, Parts 1 & 2.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="stanleycup98"][QUOTE="R3Miix"] What's wrong with England?DivergeUnify

Who has government enforced 2 month vacations?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I'm going to assume this isn't a joke thread (although the bit about "exotic people" makes me think it is) and post a serious reply:

It really depends on where you live. Each state has it's own sub-culture, and cities, suburbs, and rural areas will exacerbate those differences even further (although cities themselves can have wildly different cultures from the rest of the country; San Francisco is an example). Generally though the US is so big that everything is just sprawled out and really far apart, so you'll need a car to go anywhere. Also, if you're from Europe, realize that a drive that would take you into a different country in Europe could very well not even take you out of a single state in the US. Another thing to realize is that while Americans are probably more tolerant of immigrants and foreign cultures than other countries, you WILL run into issues if you're coming from a Latin American, South American, or Middle Eastern country.

Something else very important to realize if you're going to come live here is that Americans are more or less identical to Asians when it comes to work. There's a reason why if you watch American movies the characters often ask what each other's occupations are. That reason being that in America your job is viewed as essentially determining the kind of person you are. So if your job is a less prestigious one (janitorial, retail salesperson, waiter, etc.) you're going to get treated a lot differently than if you have a more prestigious job (businessman, professor, doctor, lawyer, pilot, etc). Also, for a lot of jobs in the US, you're expected to put in a lot of overtime and be extremely punctual. If you fail to be viewed as a guy who gives "110%" for your workplace, you'll very quickly find yourself dead-ended. Not only that, but vacation isn't a very big thing over here so don't expect to get much time off.

Make sure you drop any unrealistic expectations about America too. It isn't like what you see in our movies and TV shows. Also, since you mention our food, what exactly do you think is good about it? Much of it isn't really that different from what you'd find in Europe, except our portions are way bigger. We also like our food very salty, and I mean VERY salty. I have some Korean friends who 10 years after moving here still can't stomach the amount of salt put in most American food (according to them even our salads are salty).

Personally I think this is a great country, but I'm a bit biased on account of having never left the US except for a one week trip to France. I suggest though that you try living here temporarily before you take the plunge, simply because it's never a good idea to become an immigrant just because you think the grass is greener on the other side.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention this and I don't know how, but be aware that the US is extremely religious. Being an atheist over here is often seen as a bad thing, and Christianity is pretty much shoved into everything around here. If you're a devout Christian this is probably yet another reason why you would want to live in America, but if you're another religion (or worse, atheist) this is probably something that could be very awkward, if not irritating or even offensive to you in a lot of situations.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Do yourself a favour and go to Canada instead... Pref Alberta, lots of jobs and money to be made.
OOOOhhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OOOOhhhhh
Member since 2003 • 148 Posts

Do yourself a favour and go to Canada instead... Pref Alberta, lots of jobs and money to be made.Ringx55

If you like the cold. Eww

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Do yourself a favour and go to Canada instead... Pref Alberta, lots of jobs and money to be made.OOOOhhhhh

When it comes to Alberta the money will win over the cold every time.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Our food is awesome.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Depends on where you want to live. Living in a big city will deliver a ton of culture and variety if that's what you're looking for.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Just don't ever go to Detroit or New Jersey.
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Move to singapore! No natural disasters zone!
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Which part of American do you want to live in: Canada, U.S. or Mexico? I wouldn't pick the U.S., we're broke and jobless over here.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Which part of American do you want to live in: Canada, U.S. or Mexico? I wouldn't pick the U.S., we're broke and jobless over here.

soulless4now
You would pick Mexico over the U.S?
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
It's a wonderful place to live.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

imaps3fanboy

I never said I would. The TC is better off staying where he is now wherever that may be.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

imaps3fanboy

That perplexed me as well.

akdiuuuryttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 akdiuuuryttt
Member since 2005 • 2854 Posts

nononono move to Victoria in Canada on vancouver island. it feels more fresh and right and has wide variety of culture, plus canadians like british more then americans i think. i always hear americans talking **** to british.... eff yea its great mah mah. its like america without as many theme parts or crime and no taco bell or in n out :(

akdiuuuryttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 akdiuuuryttt
Member since 2005 • 2854 Posts

nononono move to Victoria in Canada on vancouver island. it feels more fresh and right and has wide variety of culture, plus canadians like british more then americans i think. i always hear americans talking **** to british.... eff yea its great mah mah. its like america without as many theme parts or crime and no taco bell or in n out :(

akdiuuuryttt

oh and victoria has the best weather of all of canada too :D not to cold in winter and not to hot in summer. but if u like the snow we dont get that much

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="OOOOhhhhh"]

[QUOTE="Ringx55"]Do yourself a favour and go to Canada instead... Pref Alberta, lots of jobs and money to be made.Ace6301

When it comes to Alberta the money will win over the cold every time.

QFT.Really, Alberta is great.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
it's pretty cool we have these buildings that have golden arches and they produce infinite amounts of cheeseburgers.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#50 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
....an we even have more.