Things that you can't stand in modern times?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

What's yours? here's some of mine.

• The bad music yes I'm aware of the underground but even that sucks too well for me it does
  • Everybody staring down on their smart phones
  • Social Media
  • The rise of digital shopping no more stores like Circuit City and Comp USA I miss the fact that you could just go into those stores and buy PC components like GPU's.
  • Wrestling is horrible no more stars maybe there is hope with AEW but maybe not
  • Political state of America
  • Annoying Youtubers
  • Dying retail in general
  • Greedy game publishers it's at a all time bad get ready for commercials in your games.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

@warmblur: Not a bad list but I"d add streaming. I still like physical copies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

People always focused on the negative and things that bother them, rather than appreciating all of the great things in modern times.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59021 Posts

@warmblur said:

• The bad music yes I'm aware of the underground but even that sucks too well for me it does
  • Social Media
  • The rise of digital shopping no more stores like Circuit City and Comp USA I miss the fact that you could just go into those stores and buy PC components like GPU's.
  • Wrestling is horrible no more stars maybe there is hope with AEW but maybe not
  • Annoying Youtubers
  • Greedy game publishers it's at a all time bad get ready for commercials in your games.

This X1000

Also hate those minimalist tv's without buttons, where you're screwed if you lose the remote.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@LJS9502_basic said:

Yep, same.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Disposable goods and planned obsolescence.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

Edginess.

People act like I should be impressed that they have attitude. Quite the opposite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

@warmblur said:

Everybody staring down on their smart phones

Couldn't agree more with that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@Stranger_36: When people aren't absorbed in their smartphones they're just being assholes most of the time, so hey whatever takes their attention off of me lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

@Ovirew said:

@Stranger_36: When people aren't absorbed in their smartphones they're just being assholes most of the time, so hey whatever takes their attention off of me lol.

Agreed.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Bad music and most social media.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

@warmblur said:

• Social Media
  • Annoying Youtubers

I agree with you on all of those things, but it's important to keep in mind that other things have come about too.

• Bad music, well, there's always been bad music. Pop music and so forth. It is just everywhere you go now is the problem. I think music is better than it's ever been, to be honest.
  • I don't think staring down at the phones is as bad as people make it out to be. Though tbh I do flip out when we are in a social setting (like eating dinner at a table or in the middle of a discussion) and people get on their phones.
  • Social media, yeah, it's gotten out of hand that's for sure. To the point, even, where people are manipulated by it.
  • Digital shopping is great. Sucks that those jobs are gone, I guess, but were they really good jobs to begin with?
  • Wrestling? Meh, no opinion on that.
  • Politics are pretty shitty, can't disagree with you there. But you know, we've had worse believe it or not. America during Vietnam, Nixon, Bush Jr, the OPEC Oil Crisis, and so on. I graduated at the height of the Great Recession and I feel pretty good about the rest of my life because that was pretty terrible.
  • Yeah, youtubers are generally pretty annoying. But you can ignore them. There are also some pretty great Youtubers.
  • Dying retail, sure, but we get a lot more direct-to-consumer stuff going on now, too. I also see a lot of towns are bringing back "downtown shopping" because the whole online bubble sort of popped and people have more disposable income, they want more quality things with quality service.
  • Greedy game publishers are a problem, yeah, but independent gaming has been rising gloriously from the dungpile that is AAA gaming and quickly becoming my preferred market. I feel like each year my AAA gaming time can be measured in the dozens of hours while my independent game time can be measured in the hundreds.

Like I said, I don't think your observations are incorrect, but I do see some great things happening either in response to your complaints or simply just because.

@Ovirew said:

Where do you live that everyone is an asshole?

@br0kenrabbit said:

Edginess.

People act like I should be impressed that they have attitude. Quite the opposite.

This. I mean all I think now when someone says something scandalous is A.) what a jackass, B.) they're probably a coward at heart, and C.) the media is going to tell us this is a big deal when it's really not, so here comes a totally unnecessary shitstorm

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Nada.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

• Everybody staring down on their smart phone

This doesn't bother me too much. It's a good way to break awkwardness. And at least people are exercising their brains.

But when people are super-addicted and checking non-stop at inappropriate times like in social settings or while at work - yeah that can get a bit annoying.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Edginess.

I love edginess but not edgelord like herr herr I punched a rabbit kind of edginess.

I like edgy humor. I feel like we lack a lot of that today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Gaming-Planet:

Its still out there.

I was going to comment but the the phrase "act like i should" is just assuming. Sounds like a personal problem.

I was just out at the lake the other day and a lot of kids were having a blast nearby. Loud, some of them a bit obnoxious, but why be a buzz kill? A lot of people just whine and complain about literally everything, or feel the need to drag other people down.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

love youtube

hate streaming games/music/movies

IM SICK OF the ppl i work with streaming music and picking horribad stations

Also im fed up with big lines at places we need to have less people

also too much traffic too many people with cars

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Also im fed up with big lines at places we need to have less people

also too much traffic too many people with cars

That's why I left the city and bought a bunch of acres. Also, volume up to 11 ain't no one else can hear. These here acres are MY acres.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Yall complain too much.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:

• Social Media
  • Annoying Youtubers

This X1000

Also hate those minimalist tv's without buttons, where you're screwed if you lose the remote.

I feel like the smart phone thing can be somewhat resolved with devices like google home. If you want to google something you can just have it tell you the information you want and then you will avoid getting sucked down those damn information rabbit holes.

Regarding the minimalist tvs I use a chromecast for about 80% of what I watch with the other 20% being taken up by dvds. I do have buttons on my tv and can turn it on and get it set up without my remote, but after that I use my phone to do pretty much everything else.

On a random note, I'll say that I hate that we don't have flying cars or teleportation yet. God I want teleportation so bad sometimes when I'm driving literally anywhere unless it's vacation. Hell, I could go live in Hawaii or wherever I want when I get off work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Serraph105 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:

• Social Media
  • Annoying Youtubers

This X1000

I feel like the smart phone thing can be somewhat resolved with devices like google home. If you want to google something you can just have it tell you the information you want and then you will avoid getting sucked down those damn information rabbit holes.

Regarding the minimalist tvs I use a chromecast for about 80% of what I watch with the other 20% being taken up by dvds. I do have buttons on my tv and can turn it on and get it set up without my remote, but after that I use my phone to do pretty much everything else.

On a random note, I'll say that I hate that we don't have flying cars or teleportation yet. God I want teleportation so bad sometimes when I'm driving literally anywhere unless it's vacation. Hell, I could go live in Hawaii or wherever I want when I get off work.

Me too man also I wish VR was indistinguishable from real life just imagine how amazing gaming would be.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Modern mainstream music

Stupidity

How they removed the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and so on and also the home button for iPhone X. Glad I still use my 6S.

The newer TVs lacks buttons.

Politics

Good businesses closing

People that try to remove the Bible from everything

etc.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

@warmblur: Definitely agree on the smartphone and the politics.

Political discourse is just really ugly today and it is sad how few people could discuss an issue without resorting to calling the other side names. I'm personally a centrist with some views from both parties and I always try to see the pov of both sides, but very few partisan people do that. I think most people assume that the other side are a bunch of evil people who are trying to destroy their way of life instead of seeing them from what they are...a group of people with a different world view that want what they feel is best for their country.

If people actuallly listened to each other there are compromises that could be made but compromise is now considered a dirty word and you are shunned by your party if you have the audacity to try and have a civil conversation with someone who disagrees with you. Even if you can't find a compromise, genuinely listening to someones position is worthwhile, it may expand your world view but at the very least it may let you see that person in a different , more positive, light instead of the label that your party has designated them based on their beliefs.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

i hate pollution.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nothing really. I still have plenty of little bubbles I can relax in whether it's my home, my air space, or inside my car. If I take a walk early in the morning and I pass cyclists and joggers, I just wave at them and they wave back. No words needed. If they greet me, I greet them back.

Life is as simple or as complicated as you make it. So long as I'm not forced into anything, I'm fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Eco-friendly Blu-ray cases. Why would I want my cases to have holes in them? It might damage the paper. This crap is only making me want to pollute more and replace all of them with solid cases.

Also, stacked discs. Very common with UHD releases. Terrible idea. Again, I want to replace all my stacked UHD cases with flippers.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

People.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

Too much to list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I like being able to download a game from my couch, but I hear you. Something always makes me nervous about having a digital only copy.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

People in general acting like they above everyone else (Racism included)

feminist society

Police Harassment/Corruption at times

Great stores closing and shutting down

Smart Phones/ Social Media

Politics

Annoying people like the cash me outside girl becoming famous

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

The state of nationalism.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

lazy news reporting that cherry-picks some from twitter and acts like it is doing its job.

who gives a shit what bill1317 has to say about something???

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uninspiredcup

There aren't many arcade machines in the UK now.

Use to be the time when you could walk into any chip-shop or caravan site leisure room and one would be sitting in the corner. Many good hours playing Yie Ar Kung-Fu, 15p a pop.

Prob cost £2 now.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Very bad music these days.

The existence of smart phones (cel phones are great! But they should have been for making phone calls and texting only). The internet should have been reserved for desktops and laptops only. World would be better off without smart phones. That was a greedy mistake.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Celebrity Worship and Right-Winged Populism

This is the single worst thing in modern society, the endless love of celebrities, especially those that are famous for just being famous.

So many of them set poor examples for young people, they are constantly on the news. Stories about their love lives, infidelity, drug and alcohol abuse, rehab, what they are wearing, before and after photo comparisons, their stupid books and now they want to be political leaders.

Right-winged Populism

There is both left and right winged populism, but the right is often worse than the left (in my opinion).

There is a rise of both in the world. It uses a thin ideology (people vs the elites) in a false and irresponsible way. Immigrants took your job and taking away your benefits (leading to Brexit in the UK) and in the US (China took your job, raped your country).

Donald Trump is an example of right winged populism (reversing immigration, America first) and in the UK Jeremy Corbyn is an example of left-winged populism (re-nationalisation of companies) and Nigel Farage represents the right wing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@kadin_kai: yeah, I don't like celebrity worship either. Everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame. If you think about this, how is someone going to have a loyal fanbase if everyone is out for themself looking for fame? Hm?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

Too many Snowflakes and I hate it when someone complains about Race-swap when it comes to movies like the upcoming The Little Mermaid when everyone lost their shits over a Black girl playing Ariel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Trolls are VERY bad at what they do.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@heirren: You know that your considered a troll too? You post the same thing, it's considered spamming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@watercrack445:

Nah. It relates to the topic. As long as, and whenever it hits my mind i will talk about what i feel. Nothing wrong with that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uninspiredcup
  • Reaction videos
  • THOTS
  • Outrage merchants
  • Pop-Culture shills
  • ISIS
  • Battered Mars-bars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@uninspiredcup:

Ha ha yea Reaction Video, unboxing....youtube in general. Very rarely do i go on youtube.

I did see one reaction video which made me laugh, which was sone guys reaction to Black Sabbath.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 uninspiredcup

@heirren: They have Patreons where they basically just sit on their ass for 10 minutes with a video stolen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@uninspiredcup said:

@heirren: They have Patreons where they basically just sit on their ass for 10 minutes with a video stolen.

Nah, i know, but this did make me laugh.

Loading Video...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

People who uses their electronics (smart phone, smart watch etc.) in the movie theater.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

Necromancers in OT.