There is clear Anti-Christian bias

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MayorJohnny
Member since 2003 • 7838 Posts

On this board, and all over the internet, there is a bias against Christianity. Do not deny it. Maybe it's not that bad, though it is there. Please do not tell me that I'm paranoid, or that atheists "are not out to get you." I'm not stupid, and I deal in logic... Surprise? A Christian that believes in logic! How can that be! I am all about logic, and what people spew against Christianity without real understanding, purchasing stereotypes and using "personal experience" or "science" as justification to bash God, and to call out the "religious zealots" as brainwashed or intolerant, is immature and is hypocritical. These "tolerant" people are intolerant of Christianity.

"Christians try to force their religion on me!"

Uh, everyone has will power. How can someone mentally or physically force something on you? If the person is harassing you, then that person is not a good example of a Christian. That person is illogical because everyone has a choice. Jesus Christ did not force people to believe.

"If God is so good and if he's real, then why is there so much evil in the world"?

You know, people choose to treat one another poorly. Then you wonder why God is not there? Everyone has a choice. For example, you can be nice or you can be rude. Don't blame God for the evils of human choice. If you want less evil in the world, then maybe you should encourage more morality? You can't have it both ways all of the time. Circumstances do not force someone to be evil, that is a crock.

I do not understand why many want to bash the heck out Christianity. I am not trying to legitimize or sugar-coat Christianity so that you'll feel better about it, and I don't owe you that. Many of you already have your minds made up, and just WANT to think bad of the idea of God, Christians, and "teh organized religion."

goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 goth_bacon
Member since 2007 • 1110 Posts
Yes I definitely agree with you, a whole lot of people on the internet are against Christians.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Those are just the intolerant minority. Unfortunately, they are the most vocal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Because beleiving in Jesus is a modern day sin.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Wouldn't this be better as a blog?
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
Yep. As long as anybody doesnt try to force their religion on me, then I dont really care.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MattUD1
Wouldn't this be better as a blog?Theokhoth
It'll certainly serve it's purpose of getting the "oppressed Christians" to come out and agree with him...
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
Sometimes being Atheist is just easier. No worring too much about practices, rival religions, etc, etc. If there's a bias, then so be it.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Wouldn't this be better as a blog?MattUD1
It'll certainly serve it's purpose of getting the "oppressed Christians" to come out and agree with him...

I agree with him, but this just doesn't feel like a topic. . . .

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MattUD1

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Wouldn't this be better as a blog?Theokhoth

I agree with him, but this just doesn't feel like a topic. . . .

I agree with you on the fact that this should be a blog topic.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
stop forcing your religion on me.
JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 JJ4545
Member since 2006 • 3015 Posts

You will see it as an anti-christian bias because you're a christian, and when people criticise christianity you hear it, but tend to not be phased by criticisms of islam, for example.

And even if the religion isn't forced on me, I'll still argue about it, because it's an interesting topic.

And really, you cannot be a truly logical person if you are a christian. You can use logic, but to be truly logical removes the possibility of a supernatural being of the kind you postulate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
And there's equally much complaining about it...
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Theokhoth

And really, you cannot be a truly logical person if you are a christian. You can use logic, but to be truly logical removes the possibility of a supernatural being of the kind you postulate.

JJ4545

Uh-huh? Could you logically explain that, please?

JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JJ4545
[QUOTE="JJ4545"]

Theokhoth

Ok, well, to do that I need to know why you believe in christianity as opposed to any other religions, or none at all, and how seriously you take your scripture.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

The thing is, I'll get moderated for every racist, anti-black post that I make while these anti-Christians get free passes to say whatever they want.

Not that I support censorship, far from it. I've never reported anyone in the 7+ years that I've been posting here, and I'm open to debate with anybody who can bring logic and truth to a discussion, but the double standards on this website are difficult to navigate.

mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mentalabc123
Member since 2006 • 584 Posts
This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
I'm a Christian and I use logic. Your point?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="JJ4545"]

JJ4545

Ok, well, to do that I need to know why you believe in christianity as opposed to any other religions, or none at all, and how seriously you take your scripture.

I believe in Christianity because, to me, it makes the most sense with the world. No religion at all doesn't feel right, and other religions I've studied do not make sense, or have some fatal contradiction, or whatever.

I take Scripture very seriously. Not always literally, but seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 123625

This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.mentalabc123

Arn't all religous topics?

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MattUD1

You will see it as an anti-christian bias because you're a christian, and when people criticise christianity you hear it, but tend to not be phased by criticisms of islam, for example.

And even if the religion isn't forced on me, I'll still argue about it, because it's an interesting topic.

JJ4545
So then it'll be a "God of the Gaps" arguement that the religious use when they don't know enough about a certain scientific subject and attribute it to God?
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SIapshot
This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.mentalabc123
*gets out the hockey stick*
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MattUD1
[QUOTE="JJ4545"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="JJ4545"]

Theokhoth

I believe in Christianity because, to me, it makes the most sense with the world. No religion at all doesn't feel right, and other religions I've studied do not make sense, or have some fatal contradiction, or whatever.

Personally, no offense, but I find it hilarious when most holy scriptures all claim to be the one truth and everyone else is lying or is corrupted by a demonic or evil entity.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theokhoth

Personally, no offense, but I find it hilarious when most holy scriptures all claim to be the one truth and everyone else is lying or is corrupted by a demonic or evil entity.
MattUD1

Okay?

mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mentalabc123

[QUOTE="mentalabc123"]This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.123625

A lot, not all.

Hatefish2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Hatefish2
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

As much as I believe in freedom of speech and freedom to believe in whatever I want, I also believe in disagreeing and expressing why things like religion may not be true and things like that. No, I'm not saying all of us should argue and force our ways on others.. however I do agree anyone should be entitled to a voiced opinion about things like that.

Also remember, for every angry kid on the internet yelling about religion being false, there are a ton of extreme people and people just like him out in the real word that won't even give you the right to voice an opinion... there are a ton of ignorant people on both sides of that arguement.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MattUD1

[QUOTE="MattUD1"]Personally, no offense, but I find it hilarious when most holy scriptures all claim to be the one truth and everyone else is lying or is corrupted by a demonic or evil entity.
Theokhoth

Okay?

Yeah... come to think of it, that really had no relevence to your post...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="mentalabc123"]This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.mentalabc123

A lot, not all.

Why is this one?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"]Personally, no offense, but I find it hilarious when most holy scriptures all claim to be the one truth and everyone else is lying or is corrupted by a demonic or evil entity.
MattUD1

Okay?

Yeah... come to think of it, that really had no relevence to your post...

I'm not offended or anything (people have said worse) but it just felt a little random.

mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mentalabc123
[QUOTE="mentalabc123"][QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="mentalabc123"]This topic was blatently made to stir some trouble.123625

A lot, not all.

Why is this one?

Because someone's just blurted out 'OMG LOOK AT THE ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIAS IT SICKENS ME'.

JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JJ4545

Theokhoth

Well, it might be interesting to note that the gospel of matthew traces the descendants of joseph back to david in 28 generations, but luke does it in 41, and none of the names match. Jesus was also not born in bethlehem, that myth was perpetuated by luke to fulfil a previous prophecy - all historical records indicate that he was born in galilee. Also, the myth that he was born of a virgin (which I assume you believe, despite its scientifical impossibility) arose because the scholars of Septuagint mistranslated the greek word 'alma' meaning 'young woman' into the hebrew word meaning virgin.

So your religion has some fairly fatal flaws, and those are just to point at a few.

So, taking scripture seriously, do you believe that we get our morals from the bible?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 123625

Because someone's just blurted out 'OMG LOOK AT THE ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIAS IT SICKENS ME'.

mentalabc123

How does it mean this thread was made for trouble though? :?

Robinho1873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Robinho1873
Member since 2007 • 1066 Posts

I wish someone would answer my questions in a previous post :( I actually want to know the answers.

JSDempsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 JSDempsey
Member since 2006 • 1803 Posts

As much as I believe in freedom of speech and freedom to believe in whatever I want, I also believe in disagreeing and expressing why things like religion may not be true and things like that. No, I'm not saying all of us should argue and force our ways on others.. however I do agree anyone should be entitled to a voiced opinion about things like that.

Also remember, for every angry kid on the internet yelling about religion being false, there are a ton of extreme people and people just like him out in the real word that won't even give you the right to voice an opinion... there are a ton of ignorant people on both sides of that arguement.

Hatefish2

Its not about true and false, anyone who says it is just doesnt understand that its belief. Like ive said before, most religion topics are useless because all that comes out of them is argument, because nobody can prove that what they BELIEVE is right, and everybody has different beliefs. For someone to say that they know God doesnt exist is a pretty dumb statement, they can only believe he doesnt exist, and vice versa. Most of the anti-Christian topics started around here are by people who very clearly know nothing at all of the religion and they just look like ignorant morons when they pretend they do. I support the TC, but i would just like to see religous topics end, all they end up doing is offending people personally and thats not cool.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SIapshot

My 2 cents... (again)

A lot of people don't understand exactly what spirituality is. Deeply spiritual people, be they Buddhist or Jesuit have done for their spirituality what bodybuilders do for their muscles. A bodybuilder will forego delicious, yet fatty foods and physically exert him or herself in favor of a more lean, toned body. A deeply spiritual person will forego fleshly pleasures in favor of spiritual health.

A lot of people on these boards talk about religious people denying themselves pleasure without even understanding why. Nobody says to a bodybuilder "why don't you just drink milkshakes and eat cheeseburgers all day" because the answer is obvious. What requires a little more insight is to see and understand the calm glow of a person who is spiritually healthy.

How you obtain that calm glow of spiritual health is of little importance. Just as bodybuilders have countless methods of maximizing physical gains, humans have countless methods of maximizing spiritual growth. Some methods may have their contradictions, but what makes people happy is not for you to judge. Sometimes I wonder what's missing from the lives of people who deliberately try to ruin something that makes people happy.Slapshot

Why do people feel the need to point out the inconsistencies in Christianity? That's like me pointing out the STD transmission rates among homosexuals or the crime rate among blacks, or the STD transmission rates among homosexuals AND blacks.

Anybody who feels that homosexuals and blacks should be left alone should leave Christians alone as well (but I know that's not going to happen *cracks knuckles*)

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Theokhoth

Well, it might be interesting to note that the gospel of matthew traces the descendants of joseph back to david in 28 generations, but luke does it in 41, and none of the names match. Jesus was also not born in bethlehem, that myth was perpetuated by luke to fulfil a previous prophecy - all historical records indicate that he was born in galilee. Also, the myth that he was born of a virgin (which I assume you believe, despite its scientifical impossibility) arose because the scholars of Septuagint mistranslated the greek word 'alma' meaning 'young woman' into the hebrew word meaning virgin.

So your religion has some fairly fatal flaws, and those are just to point at a few.

So, taking scripture seriously, do you believe that we get our morals from the bible?

JJ4545

Could you source some of these claims? How would Jesus not being born of a virgin hurt my religion?

Anyway, I believe the Bible is a great book of morals, but I believe we get our morals from God, not the Bible.

JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JJ4545
[QUOTE="Hatefish2"]

JSDempsey

Its not about true and false, anyone who says it is just doesnt understand that its belief. Like ive said before, most religion topics are useless because all that comes out of them is argument, because nobody can prove that what they BELIEVE is right, and everybody has different beliefs. For someone to say that they know God doesnt exist is a pretty dumb statement, they can only believe he exists, and vice versa. Most of the anti-Christian topics started around here are by people who very clearly know nothing at all of the religion and they just look like ignorant morons when they pretend they do. I support the TC, but i would just like to see religous topics end, all they end up doing is offending people personally and thats not cool.

Sure, sometimes they offend people, but that's only because people grant religion some sort of undue respect; if I were to openly criticise your political views, you might argue back, but you'd accept it - if I criticised your religion, you wouldn't take it nearly as well.

I think that as long as you can keep the topics on track, they should keep going.

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

Uh, everyone has will power. How can someone mentally or physically force something on you? If the person is harassing you, then that person is not a good example of a Christian. That person is illogical because everyone has a choice. Jesus Christ did not force people to believe.

MayorJohnny

"How can someone mentally or physically force something on you?" Okay I'll bite on this one. What about children who are indoctrinated from birth to be Christians by their Christian parents? Did they have a choice? This idea of Christianity is so ingrained in their minds that to accept any alternative sounds ludicrous to them. Of course that's how it spreads and maintains momentum in light of all the evidence to counter it.

Edit: How about a political or otherwise publicly acessable dignitary? Can you even imagine someone running for Presidency of the United States declaring himself an athiest? It'd be the end of his career. Yet the founding fathers of America wanted a secular state, where there was no religious prejudice. It's been absoluted trampled on by the incorperation of Christianity into all sectors of the government and American Society. If that's not something to be outraged at, I don't know what is.

It's not really that big of a surprise that people who post things on the internet are more likely to be athiests. People who are technically savvy and whom can post on internet forums and have a wide access to knowledge of all biases are most likely more learned than people who can not. Couple that with the fact that the large majority of intellectual elite and innovative human beings are either deist (also ridiculous, but less intrusivley so), athiestic or agnostic and it's not hard to figure see a pattern.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

Packt

"How can someone mentally or physically force something on you?" Okay I'll bite on this one. What about children who are indoctrinated from birth to be Christians by their Christian parents? Did they have a choice? This idea of Christianity is so ingrained in their minds that to accept any alternative sounds ludicrous to them. Of course that's how it spreads and maintains momentum in light of all the evidence to counter it.

It's not really that big of a surprise that people who post things on the internet are more likely to be athiests. People who are technically savvy and whom can post on internet forums and have a wide access to knowledge of all biases are most likely more learned than people who can not. Couple that with the fact that the large majority of intellectual elite and innovative human beings are either deist (also ridiculous, but less intrusivley so), athiestic or agnostic and it's not hard to figure see a pattern.

Large majority? You mean eleven percent?

JSDempsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 JSDempsey
Member since 2006 • 1803 Posts
[QUOTE="JSDempsey"][QUOTE="Hatefish2"]

JJ4545

Its not about true and false, anyone who says it is just doesnt understand that its belief. Like ive said before, most religion topics are useless because all that comes out of them is argument, because nobody can prove that what they BELIEVE is right, and everybody has different beliefs. For someone to say that they know God doesnt exist is a pretty dumb statement, they can only believe he exists, and vice versa. Most of the anti-Christian topics started around here are by people who very clearly know nothing at all of the religion and they just look like ignorant morons when they pretend they do. I support the TC, but i would just like to see religous topics end, all they end up doing is offending people personally and thats not cool.

Sure, sometimes they offend people, but that's only because people grant religion some sort of undue respect; if I were to openly criticise your political views, you might argue back, but you'd accept it - if I criticised your religion, you wouldn't take it nearly as well.

I think that as long as you can keep the topics on track, they should keep going.

Nobody is going to change their views becouse somebody on gamespot disagrees with them. These always turn out the same way.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

Theokhoth

I like no religion at all xD You already know that though :lol:
mentalabc123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mentalabc123
[QUOTE="mentalabc123"]

Well, there's no cue for debate or anything. It's just bait to provoke arguments.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SIapshot
[QUOTE="MayorJohnny"]

Packt

Typical elitist. You claim evidence against Christianity. Post it.
JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JJ4545
[QUOTE="JJ4545"]

Theokhoth

Could you source some of these claims? How would Jesus not being born of a virgin hurt my religion?

Anyway, I believe the Bible is a great book of morals, but I believe we get our morals from God, not the Bible.

I can indeed. Use the bible for the descendants one.

Mistranslation:

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/matthew.html

http://www.2think.org/hii/virgin.shtml

Birth myth:

http://www.jesuspolice.com/common_error.php?id=3

And the reason Jesus not being a virgin would hurt your religion is that it shows that it is sometimes flawed, you believe something that is evidently not true. I'd like to see you point out one such flaw in any other religion.

Surely god had to have a creator?

And I'll leave the morals argument, because that can get very complex, as I'd start explaining it in terms of genes and evolution.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Theokhoth

I like no religion at all xD You already know that though :lol: Matt-4542

Yes, I just hope J sources some of these claims. . . .and by the way, I already knew Jesus was born in Galilee; it's even in Sunday morning cartoons on TBN. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 123625
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="mentalabc123"]

mentalabc123

Well, there's no cue for debate or anything. It's just bait to provoke arguments.

How so? One can express his opinion on being sickened by anti christian bias, but why does it have to provoke everyone into arguments?

Hatefish2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Hatefish2
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

I don't believe in religion and don't consider it to be anything of importance to me. However I am totally open minded to whatever happens..by all means if god and the bible is proven I will believe in it.. but for the time being I can decide my own morals, choose what is right and wrong using my own free will and I do not need a bible or what other people tell me is true to help me decide that.

I don't tell people what they believe is wrong.. but if they force it on me I usually do argue even though I try and respect them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

My 2 cents... (again)

[quote="Slapshot"]

A lot of people don't understand exactly what spirituality is. Deeply spiritual people, be they Buddhist or Jesuit have done for their spirituality what bodybuilders do for their muscles. A bodybuilder will forego delicious, yet fatty foods and physically exert him or herself in favor of a more lean, toned body. A deeply spiritual person will forego fleshly pleasures in favor of spiritual health.

A lot of people on these boards talk about religious people denying themselves pleasure without even understanding why. Nobody says to a bodybuilder "why don't you just drink milkshakes and eat cheeseburgers all day" because the answer is obvious. What requires a little more insight is to see and understand the calm glow of a person who is spiritually healthy.

How you obtain that calm glow of spiritual health is of little importance. Just as bodybuilders have countless methods of maximizing physical gains, humans have countless methods of maximizing spiritual growth. Some methods may have their contradictions, but what makes people happy is not for you to judge. Sometimes I wonder what's missing from the lives of people who deliberately try to ruin something that makes people happy.SIapshot

Why do people feel the need to point out the inconsistencies in Christianity? That's like me pointing out the STD transmission rates among homosexuals or the crime rate among blacks, or the STD transmission rates among homosexuals AND blacks.

Anybody who feels that homosexuals and blacks should be left alone should leave Christians alone as well (but I know that's not going to happen *cracks knuckles*)

No...it's not like that, at all. If I'm able to point out solid inconsistencies in Christianity, it'll hurt the credibility of the religion as a whole since it's one huge network of beliefs and morals. This logic, however, can't be used on the black race since humans are individuals...unless you're implying that blacks are an inferior race, which is BS.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SIapshot
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="JJ4545"]

JJ4545

I can indeed. Use the bible for the descendants one.

Mistranslation:

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/matthew.html

http://www.2think.org/hii/virgin.shtml

Birth myth:

http://www.jesuspolice.com/common_error.php?id=3

And the reason Jesus not being a virgin would hurt your religion is that it shows that it is sometimes flawed, you believe something that is evidently not true. I'd like to see you point out one such flaw in any other religion.

Surely god had to have a creator?

And I'll leave the morals argument, because that can get very complex, as I'd start explaining it in terms of genes and evolution.

First of all, show how Jesus not being virgin demonstrates a flaw in Christianity.