The Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
Hey guys, I've noticed recently there has been a lot of topics about weight lifting and fitness advice. I thought it would be cool if we could have one big thread to talk about our weight lifting and fitness goals and such. Also any questions on anything and everything fitness related can be asked here. Some resources: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224 - good info on a beginner routine(or anyone looking to gain strength for that matter) bodybuilding.com - tons of resources, helpful people, etc. http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pumping-iron/ - The classic movie, Pumping Iron. It follows Arnold and a few other bodybuilders in the early 70's on the quest for Mr. Olympia, where Arnold ends up winning for the sixth time Some motivation, before and after 4-5 years of training, of the one and only...:   feel free to share your stats as well. As for me, Im 16.5 years old, 5'11-6'0, 170lbs bench: max around 145lb probably squat:max around 200lb or so deadlift: max around 220lb or so Im doing the routine i posted above with a few added exercises lettuce begin!
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Wow my ISP is liberty technologies Corp too!!
Niks-Greed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Niks-Greed
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts

just out of curiosity, is that the same person lol?

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

You looked better before you ate a guido. :o

I'm joking.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stanley09

just out of curiosity, is that the same person lol?

Niks-Greed
Ya, before and after 4-5 years of hard work. Hes like 21-22 now, first pic was at 16-17
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stanley09

I'm joking.

no_more_fayth
that aint even me brah
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

I'm joking.

Stanley09

that aint even me brah

I was kidding. :)

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
What exactly is the point of this thread? I'm all for discussing working out, but I don't get it.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
i wonder what kind of roid effects this guy has felt whomever it is.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
I like the body building forums, I've gotten a ton of great advice and tips there.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Originally I was going to congratulate the TC on his progress. Then I realized that wasn't him.. :P
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

Do you just have to be sore the next day to make your muscles grow? With or without weights?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Do you just have to be sore the next day to make your muscles grow? With or without weights?

Alacoque72
Correlation not causation
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
Please dont corrupt OT with zyzz. Plz.
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alacoque72

[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

rawsavon

What does that mean?

raiden509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raiden509
Member since 2006 • 3181 Posts
Please dont corrupt OT with zyzz. Plz.tratyu92
this
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

Alacoque72

What does that mean?

Being sore =/= muscle growth. Being sore goes along with muscle growth It is not the cause, but it is often (though not always) a side effect ...thus correlation, not causation
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

This thread reminds me of EVOEVOLUTION. :(

A moment of silence.

How routine do I need to lose 30 lbs as safely as possible? Weight loss is the priority and then definition. Advice?

Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alacoque72

[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Correlation not causationrawsavon

What does that mean?

Being sore =/= muscle growth. Being sore goes along with muscle growth It is not the cause, but it is often (though not always) a side effect ...thus correlation, not causation

So if my pecs are sore for 2 or 3 days after I do pushups are they going to grow? Because people say pushups are more for endurance.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm guessing the increase of weight lifting threads = new years resolutions. Well good luck on your quest for fitness guys, my quest lies in the world..............

of warcraft. Don't tell me you didn't see that coming.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rawsavon

This thread reminds me of EVOEVOLUTION. :(

A moment of silence.

How routine do I need to lose 30 lbs as safely as possible? Weight loss is the priority and then definition. Advice?

entropyecho
Interval training for your cardio + body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, lunges, free squats, etc) =minimal chance of injury
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon

What does that mean?

Alacoque72

So if my pecs are sore for 2 or 3 days after I do pushups are they going to grow? Because people say pushups are more for endurance.

That is not a YES or NO question. It is all about how you lift (no matter if it is with weights or your own body) -certain ways of lifting (reps and weight) promote growth and others promote endurance...though it is not an exclusive relationship by any means
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

I am in need of a good at-home cardio workout video. I don't like going to the gym and I find I can't push myself enough on the treadmill enough to get a decent enough of a run. I used to have a 45 minute video that had various kinds of excersises and such. Something similar to that.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Interval training for your cardio + body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, lunges, free squats, etc) =minimal chance of injuryrawsavon

I am assuming this is okay given my atrociously bad knees?

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dodgerblue13

I am in need of a good at-home cardio workout video. I don't like going to the gym and I find I can't push myself enough on the treadmill enough to get a decent enough of a run. I used to have a 45 minute video that had various kinds of excersises and such. Something similar to that.

iloverikku11
Try running to your iPod (or whatever you use..). Tell yourself that you'll run for 8-12 songs (could be 30-45 minutes)...depending on your ability. Just pick a number and promise yourself to run to that many songs. It'll motivate you to just power through. You can't run if you're telling yourself you can't or don't want to run. Your actual running times will vary, but it'll keep you interested and motivated. You'll be able to either increase the number of songs you run to or just neglect looking at it that way and then you can set a distance goal or something. If that doesn't work, maybe you can run on a treadmill with a TV in front of it. Anything that takes your mind off of running until you enjoy running enough to forget that you're running in the first place. It'll make sense once you get there. It's worth a shot, isn't it?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Interval training for your cardio + body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, lunges, free squats, etc) =minimal chance of injuryentropyecho

People hear interval training and their mind thinks running...but it can be any activity really. (bike, elliptical, swim, row machine...w/e) You just go all out for a set amount of time and then relax (go slower) for a set amount of time -increasing the number of intervals and duration of them as time goes on
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dodgerblue13
[QUOTE="entropyecho"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Interval training for your cardio + body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, lunges, free squats, etc) =minimal chance of injuryrawsavon

People hear interval training and their mind thinks running...but it can be any activity really. (bike, elliptical, swim, row machine...w/e) You just go all out for a set amount of time and then relax (go slower) for a set amount of time -increasing the number of intervals and duration of them as time goes on

Yeah this is a great way to either get started or change things up once you get bored with your routine. I started running distance a few summers ago. I got bored after about three months of it and then stopped because of how unappealing it was. Intervals helped, but an exercise bike saved me. Those things are so fun.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

Alacoque72
No. Once you're in a routine you shouldn't even be sore. I workout so often I'm rarely ever sore. If I am, I likely did something I shouldn't have.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stanley09

What does that mean?

Alacoque72

Pushups will definitely not help you gain mass, they are basically for endurance
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stanley09
[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

UCF_Knight
No. Once you're in a routine you shouldn't even be sore. I workout so often I'm rarely ever sore. If I am, I likely did something I shouldn't have.

err not always. Though you might not always be sore, if for example you maxed out on squats one day, you would likely be feeling it in your legs the next day
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stanley09
i wonder what kind of roid effects this guy has felt whomever it is.xbox360isgr8t
Hes used cell tech, but dont assume that anyone with a desirable physique has used roids. There are plenty out there with amazing physiques who never have used roids
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Being sore =/= muscle growth. Being sore goes along with muscle growth It is not the cause, but it is often (though not always) a side effect ...thus correlation, not causationStanley09

Pushups will definitely not help you gain mass, they are basically for endurance

That is 100% false. It is all how you do it. Hershel Walker (one of the best college players of all time and current MMA fighter has never lifted a weight in his life...feel free to Google his build...like a statue) All you have to do is increase the difficulty of pushup (like lifting heavier weight versus light weight) -normal pushups = lifting low to medium weight = endurance -increased difficulty (through a variety of techniques) = lifting heavy weight
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stanley09
black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#35 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushupsStanley09
Way to single yourself out, there. -_-

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stanley09
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups

Way to single yourself out, there.

?
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
Man I really wish I weighed myself when first started going to the gym 2 months ago. I have lost so much weight I just don't know how much.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushupsStanley09

I did hear that black people tend to be genetically more prone to developing muscle in a few different places. It would require a lot of dedication either way.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stanley09

[QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushupsLeejjohno

I did hear that black people tend to be genetically more prone to developing muscle in a few different places. It would require a lot of dedication either way.

ya, definitely. Its just that you shouldnt just be doing a bunch of pushups every night and expect to turn out huge and ripped a few months later.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 branketra
[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups

Way to single yourself out, there.

?

Basically, if anyone has accomplished something similar to Herschel Walker's physique without weight lifting, they have super genetics. Average people simply don't. -_-. According to you. I'm not offended or anything...
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stanley09
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Way to single yourself out, there.

?

Basically, if anyone has accomplished something similar to Herschel Walker's physique without weight lifting, they have super genetics. Average people simply don't. -_-. According to you. I'm not offended or anything...

ya...thats true... I dare you to do his routine for 1 year, and assuming you have average genetics, you will most definitely get in good shape, but i would bet money you wont get huge or jacked
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups

Wow...that is where you are going with this...really :? All you have to do is increase the difficulty (like lifting heavier weights with lower reps). It is all about how you work out the muscles. I am curious how long you have been lifting to reach the conclusions you have ITT.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

rawsavon

That is 100% false. It is all how you do it. Hershel Walker (one of the best college players of all time and current MMA fighter has never lifted a weight in his life...feel free to Google his build...like a statue) All you have to do is increase the difficulty of pushup (like lifting heavier weight versus light weight) -normal pushups = lifting low to medium weight = endurance -increased difficulty (through a variety of techniques) = lifting heavy weight

Oh god, this reminds me of when I first got my weighted vest a few months ago. I loaded up the weight on it, and gave it a go with 80 pounds...
Never again.

What type of push-up would you consider for the equivalent of heavy lifting? diamond?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 branketra

[QUOTE="Stanley09"]rawsavon
Wow...that is where you are going with this...really :? All you have to do is increase the difficulty (like lifting heavier weights with lower reps). It is all about how you work out the muscles. I am curious how long you have been lifting to reach the conclusions you have ITT.

That's what I was wondering.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Stanley09
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups

The funny thing is, is that its true though. Unless you have superior genetics, you wont be making gains like Walker did by just doing body weight stuff weights>>>>bodyweight pushups if pushups gave you just as good of a workout as weights, then why do so many people waste going to the gym when they can just do pushups at home?
Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Alacoque72

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="Alacoque72"]

rawsavon

I squeeze my arms inwards hard as I do pushups. Is that enough to gain some mass? Is there any other things like that I can do with pushups?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Stanley09"] Pushups will definitely not help you gain mass, they are basically for endurance Baconbits2004

Oh god, this reminds me of when I first got my weighted vest a few months ago. I loaded up the weight on it, and gave it a go with 80 pounds...
Never again.

What type of push-up would you consider for the equivalent of heavy lifting? diamond?

Weighted vests are great for all types. If you have a partner, you can have them stack weight on your back (used to have a gf sit on my back).
Also, there are different elevations and arm widths. Not to mention ones with odd motions (like dive bombers)

But yeah, diamond is great along with one arm ones.

There were no weight machines in ancient times...yet we have the statue of David...hmmmm...just saying

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 branketra
[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Stanley09"] ?

ya...thats true... I dare you to do his routine for 1 year, and assuming you have average genetics, you will most definitely get in good shape, but i would bet money you wont get huge or jacked

I'm interested in his routine. Once I get more money, I'll give it a go. High intensity training is expensive.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 branketra

if pushups gave you just as good of a workout as weights, then why do so many people waste going to the gym when they can just do pushups at home?Stanley09
There's probably more than just physical strength as a factor when it comes to people in general working out. Some people wouldn't be caught dead in a gym. I know someone who compares gym equipment to torture machines.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Stanley09"]black superhuman genetics / 10 there is NO WAY an average person is going to put on significant mass by doing pushups

The funny thing is, is that its true though. Unless you have superior genetics, you wont be making gains like Walker did by just doing body weight stuff weights>>>>bodyweight pushups if pushups gave you just as good of a workout as weights, then why do so many people waste going to the gym when they can just do pushups at home?

1. you did not answer my question 2. most people (at the gym or out) are highly uneducated when it comes to working out. -spend a few months in the gym and you will see that 90% of people have no idea what they are doing -the ones that do do free body workouts as well So your logic is flawed.