The thing I hate about sports...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TERMINAT0R1
Member since 2004 • 3267 Posts
What I hate is how so many teams think that completely abandoning tradition is the right thing to do. How many teams this decade have thrown away their history and identity by conforming with every other team by going with the 'fashion fad of the decade,' red?

They think they will all of a sudden be a winner and have money to spend if they look like every other team in the league? Jesus, I mean how many teams went to red this year? How many teams are going to switch to red in the next couple years? Off the top of my head, let's see...

Dumping the best expansion history in MLB history and going to the Communist red were the Arizona Diamondbacks, apparently now just D*Backs... then there's the Cincinnati Reds, who took the black out of their uniforms for a pure red, white approach. There are the Pittsburgh Pirates, who simply added a solid red jersey. Then the Toronto Raptors, abandoning purple for a typical red. There's the Milwaukee Bucks, dumping purple for Typical Red. Who's next? How about the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, about to completely overhaul everything. Expect red. How about the Florida Marlins? Especially with a move to Las Vegas, expect red.

Thank god universities don't screw around with their tradition.
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Sports is just something that changes over time, and the same goes with "fashion" and people...you probably know what I mean, right?
ChipmunkDeluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChipmunkDeluxe
Member since 2006 • 3213 Posts
so you hate sports because you dont like the color red??? I understand about tradition....but why so upset about the color red??
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
sports, above all, is a business.  Red is a visually appealing color that stands out.
-911-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -911-
Member since 2006 • 6177 Posts
Does the Terminator hate the Red Sox, even though he has an Anti-Yankee avi?
Avatar image for bloody1f4knight
bloody1f4knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 bloody1f4knight
Member since 2006 • 4922 Posts
I think teams should just keep their tradition.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here....are you by any chance just catching the teams during spring training and noticing this?.......
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

Red uniforms shouldn't make you hate sports. Adding a new uniform doesn't mean a team is taking a whole new franchise and forgetting their past. If there were no new uniforms, we'd still be forced to see this:

Good player, but we needed a change.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skullkrusher13
oh, and I'm watching USC vs Stanford right now.  Red and white vs. White/Red/Gold.
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TERMINAT0R1
I'm going to go out on a limb here....are you by any chance just catching the teams during spring training and noticing this?.......Omni-Slash

No, I've followed baseball for a while. Spring Training is an absolute joke this year with all those red shirts.
ChipmunkDeluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChipmunkDeluxe
maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TERMINAT0R1

Red uniforms shouldn't make you hate sports. Adding a new uniform doesn't mean a team is taking a whole new franchise and forgetting their past. If there were no new uniforms, we'd still be forced to see this:

Good player, but we needed a change.

dodgerblue13

New uniforms are quite different than new colors.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
I hate the physical aspect of sports, myself.
-OpaK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -OpaK-
Member since 2006 • 2728 Posts
As long as the Lakers dont change to red, I'm fine:P
Edit: oh yea, and I'm pretty sure the Raptors changed to red insead of purple to look more Canadian, not because its a fad
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Omni-Slash

No, I've followed baseball for a while. Spring Training is an absolute joke this year with all those red shirts.
TERMINAT0R1
Red is the spring training color and always has been.....I've seen nothing baout the teams you mentioned going to red........
-911-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -911-
Member since 2006 • 6177 Posts
maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...ChipmunkDeluxe
Reminds me....

Baseball Furies FTW
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I hate when teams change their name, and move to different cities.  Also I hate when star players switch teams.

changing logo's every 15 years isn't so bad.
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TERMINAT0R1
maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...ChipmunkDeluxe

You know, this is one reason why I think they are going red... Turn on MTV, watch those rappers acting like gangsters. Wearing their solid color baseball caps and bball jerseys. Never seen a purple hat on one of them. Red appeals to wannabe gangsters moreso than purple. That's my theory.
-OpaK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -OpaK-
Member since 2006 • 2728 Posts
[QUOTE="ChipmunkDeluxe"]maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...TERMINAT0R1

You know, this is one reason why I think they are going red... Turn on MTV, watch those rappers acting like gangsters. Wearing their solid color baseball caps and bball jerseys. Never seen a purple hat on one of them. Red appeals to wannabe gangsters moreso than purple. That's my theory.

I didnt know gangsters watched baseball:o
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TERMINAT0R1
[QUOTE="TERMINAT0R1"]
Omni-Slash
Red is the spring training color and always has been.....I've seen nothing baout the teams you mentioned going to red........

I'm sure Google will find everything. "D*Backs" now look identical to the Nationals, Reds are basically going back to an older uniform scheme, but nonetheless want more red and less black, and the Pirates clearly added a solid red jersey to join in the baseball communism.

If the Pirates red jersey sells well compared to the other jerseys, don't be shocked if the Pirates change their entire color scheme to red as well.
ChipmunkDeluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChipmunkDeluxe
[QUOTE="ChipmunkDeluxe"]maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...TERMINAT0R1

i think like 4 out of 32 teams changed to red because that was already one of there colors and they decided they just felt like going with it...MTV has nothing to do with professional sports...
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TERMINAT0R1
[QUOTE="TERMINAT0R1"][QUOTE="ChipmunkDeluxe"]maybe all these sports teams are in gangs....thats why they are wearing red...they probably have red batting gloves hanging out of their back left pocket...-OpaK-

I didnt know gangsters watched baseball:o

They don't have to. They probably just walk into a store and see what they're willing to wear on camera.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skullkrusher13

I hate when teams change their name, and move to different cities.  Also I hate when star players switch teams.
jrhawk42

I'll say it again: Sports = A Business.  Loyality is all but dead now.  Players go where the $$$ is.  Teams don't always have money to sign certain players.  For example, the Oakland A's usually never resign their young players after their first contracts expire.  The team doesn't have the money, they are a small market team.

TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TERMINAT0R1

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]I hate when teams change their name, and move to different cities. Also I hate when star players switch teams.
skullkrusher13

I'll say it again: Sports = A Business. Loyality is all but dead now. Players go where the $$$ is. Teams don't always have money to sign certain players. For example, the Oakland A's usually never resign their young players after their first contracts expire. The team doesn't have the money, they are a small market team.

Sad, ain't it? What do you think if I said MLB will be out of business within 30 years because of the fact you stated?
Media_geek20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Media_geek20
Member since 2006 • 6491 Posts
I never really liked playing sports, nor watching them. I guess I could say that I don't like them all together.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Omni-Slash

The Pirates have always had Red as a color....I have no idea why Arizona is going red ....it looks ugly.......

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070126&content_id=1787457&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Media_geek20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Media_geek20
Member since 2006 • 6491 Posts

The Pirates have always had Red as a color....I have no idea why Arizona is going red ....it looks ugly.......

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070126&content_id=1787457&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Omni-Slash

I never knew sports fans were fashion gurus, or cared about the colors, to say the least...
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]I hate when teams change their name, and move to different cities. Also I hate when star players switch teams.
TERMINAT0R1

I'll say it again: Sports = A Business. Loyality is all but dead now. Players go where the $$$ is. Teams don't always have money to sign certain players. For example, the Oakland A's usually never resign their young players after their first contracts expire. The team doesn't have the money, they are a small market team.

Sad, ain't it? What do you think if I said MLB will be out of business within 30 years because of the fact you stated?

that may happen. Only a few teams in the league actually make money. 

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Omni-Slash
...I have no issue with a change in Jersey for the most part...fashions change over time....personally i find the Yankees pinstrips repulsive yet the ykeep them because of tradition....being a Met's fan I'm happy that they are finally phasing out the old gray unis....they always looked dierty to me...and went with the plain black......in the endo as long as they aren't changing their logo....I have no issue....
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#30 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I want to know who thought it was a good idea for the Blue Jays to wear black. It's in their name...BLUE. Where's the BLUE?
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#31 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
got to love the classic uniforms of the Cubs and Yankee pinstripes
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
im not really into sports like i use to be
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Hahah, hilarious.  The RED Sox actually almost never wear read though.  Kinda funny imo.
SWTTVGfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SWTTVGfreak
Member since 2005 • 411 Posts

Theres the Red Wings

New Jersey Devils(Boo!)

and the Calgary Flames.

3 examples of Teams using Red as their primary color throught their existence.

zombiemenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zombiemenace
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts
baseball is the only worthwhile sport
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TERMINAT0R1
Hahah, hilarious. The RED Sox actually almost never wear read though. Kinda funny imo.helium_flash

Did you know they wear solid green on St. Pat's day?
TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TERMINAT0R1

Theres the Red Wings

New Jersey Devils(Boo!)

and the Calgary Flames.

SWTTVGfreak

What about the Mighty Ducks abandoning the most recognized logo, name and even colors in the NHL?
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skullkrusher13

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]Hahah, hilarious. The RED Sox actually almost never wear read though. Kinda funny imo.TERMINAT0R1

Did you know they wear solid green on St. Pat's day?

I think the White Sox do to.  I hate both teams! :evil:

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skullkrusher13

[QUOTE="SWTTVGfreak"]
Theres the Red Wings

New Jersey Devils(Boo!)

and the Calgary Flames.

TERMINAT0R1

What about the Mighty Ducks abandoning the most recognized logo, name and even colors in the NHL?

I think they wanted to shed the "Disney" image, because the Ducks aren't owned by them anymore

TERMINAT0R1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TERMINAT0R1

[QUOTE="TERMINAT0R1"][QUOTE="SWTTVGfreak"]
Theres the Red Wings

New Jersey Devils(Boo!)

and the Calgary Flames.

skullkrusher13

I think they wanted to shed the "Disney" image, because the Ducks aren't owned by them anymore

Bet the fans just loooved that idea...
DaveGamer_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaveGamer_05
Member since 2005 • 18823 Posts
Does it make you want to cry?