The "n" word

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
So brahs, me and my cuz were arguing about the use of the n word. He says only black ppl should be able to say it. I think that's reverse racism. Noone should be using the word. What do you think
Oborozukiyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Oborozukiyo
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts
It's a fun word to say. :)
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
What do you mean no-one should be using the word?
Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts

It's a fun word to say. :)Oborozukiyo
I love calling people necrophilliacs too.

atreyu27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 atreyu27
Member since 2006 • 1443 Posts
it's funny to say for some reason. People that are around say that is disrespectful but when your not looking they are giggling like crazy.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I don't understand why people want to be able to use it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Silverbond
Because nobody likes a word nazi. If I want to use a word, I'll use it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I got in trouble at school for saying it ounce. I said "You can't call someone a ****** you racist prick"

Political correctness FTL

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Eventually people will forget what the word meant before and people won't care anymore.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Big_Red-
Eventually people will forget what the word meant before and people won't care anymore. Ace6301
:lol: Most people have already forgotten/don't really know what the word actually means.
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HlHlHl
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts
"Reverse" racism" is a preposterous term and there is nothing inherently wrong with the "n word"; context matters.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Capitan_Kid
What do you mean no-one should be using the word?-Big_Red-
Im black and i don't like it. It's just not a good word. If a black person says it to another black person it's ok but if a white dude says it, fists will fly. It seems like a double standard to me brah.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Well, "brah", my feeling is that it is a nasty, derogatory word tinged with all sorts of unpleasant connotations and history that shouldn't be used in polite conversation. I further feel that black people using it incorrectly make other ethnic groups feel it is okay to use.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

It dosent matter the colour of your skin. Anybody could say it, It depends on the intent. Saying whats up my ****** is actually a good thing. Saying you know youre my ***** is also acceptable. Go back to Africa ****** is unacceptable.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
well it no longer means what it originally meant. I personally dont use it but hear it come out of Black and Hispanic mouths everyday. One of my white russian gfs use it often too. Its in many peoples daily vocabulary here in NYC.
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HlHlHl

It dosent matter the colour of your skin. Anybody could say it, It depends on the intent. Saying whats up my ****** is actually a good thing. Saying you know youre my ***** is also acceptable. Go back to Africa ****** is unacceptable.

Thessassin
Third option is acceptable if it's used for comedic effect. Agreed on the rest.
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HlHlHl
I further feel that black people using it incorrectly make other ethnic groups feel it is okay to use.nocoolnamejim
True, but the thing is, it is okay to use now because it lost all of its original meaning,.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I further feel that black people using it incorrectly make other ethnic groups feel it is okay to use.HlHlHl
True, but the thing is, it is okay to use now because it lost all of its original meaning,.

Meh. Maybe for some. I sure as heck wouldn't feel okay using it. It's one of a number of ethnic slurs that would make me very uncomfortable if used around me.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

[QUOTE="Thessassin"]

HlHlHl

Everything is ok when usedfor comedy, as long as its funny.

The world is now full of P*****, words only have as much power as you give them, yet some asshats go aound doing a funeral for a word like it accomplishes anything other than making you look like a r*****.They should concentrate on some crap like world hunger but instead these morons crusade against words.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

hehehheh hehehhehehe

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Silverbond"]

Then be prepared for the consequences for saying what you want when you want.
MrBlazing_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrBlazing_S
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the word. It's the context in which it is used that makes it bad.

HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HlHlHl

[QUOTE="HlHlHl"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]

Thessassin

Everything is ok when usedfor comedy, as long as its funny.

Truth.
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fuhgeddabouditt
[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"]What do you mean no-one should be using the word?Capitan_Kid
Im black and i don't like it. It's just not a good word. If a black person says it to another black person it's ok but if a white dude says it, fists will fly. It seems like a double standard to me brah.

Its hard to explain. I mean, when a black person saids to another black or an hispanic saids it to another, it usually isnt to offend but to greet in most cases. Usually when I see a white person say it, they look out to offend whoever they are throwing that word at. I know a couple of white people who use it but they keep it with their friends. They dont go random to one they dont know and say it.
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HlHlHl
[QUOTE="Silverbond"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Silverbond"]

What consequences? Violence? Over a ****ing word?
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Silverbond"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Because nobody likes a word nazi. If I want to use a word, I'll use it. HlHlHl

Words hurt brah. Words cause war and violence all the time. Be prepared to put up ya dukes if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HlHlHl
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="HlHlHl"][QUOTE="Silverbond"] Then be prepared for the consequences for saying what you want when you want.

Words hurt brah. Words cause war and violence all the time. Be prepared to put up ya dukes if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time

Well, they shouldn't. I can think of plenty of immature things, but starting fights over words is surely one of the top ****ing contenders. Not sure what my "dukes" are, however.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
That's about as intelligent as saying "Only women can use the B word, because they're the ones it's directed at". If you think about it, both words are similar. When women say it to each other amongst friends, it's non offensive and not a degrading term, similar to the way the N word is, but we like to get all angry and bent out of shape when we hear others using the word we constantly use.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

It no longer has the same negative effects as it did let's say in the 50s and 60s. As Paul Mooney says "I was called "n" word when it meant something, so I can say it when and how I want to,"(that quote is butchered, but gets the point across). It still has negative, even racist connotations but not to the extent it did due to the fact that so many people use it in casual conversation i.e. "what's up my ninja".

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

This thread is clearly a niggαrdly contribution to the board. You can do better.

rockinplanes
BANNED!!!!
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HlHlHl
That's about as intelligent as saying "Only women can use the B word, because they're the ones it's directed at". If you think about it, both words are similar. When women say it to each other amongst friends, it's non offensive and not a degrading term, similar to the way the N word is, but we like to get all angry and bent out of shape when we hear others using the word we constantly use.XilePrincess
Tempted to agree but their similarity ends when you consider society's reaction to both words. You can get away with "b" on prime time.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
One of my favourites.
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fuhgeddabouditt

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="HlHlHl"] What consequences? Violence? Over a ****ing word?HlHlHl

Well, they shouldn't. I can think of plenty of immature things, but starting fights over words is surely one of the top ****ing contenders. Not sure what my "dukes" are, however.

you'll learn. Theres somethings you cant say because it will tick someone off if you like it or not. Also, your dukes are hands. When someone on the street tells you to throw your hands, they mean fight.

HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HlHlHl
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"][QUOTE="HlHlHl"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Words hurt brah. Words cause war and violence all the time. Be prepared to put up ya dukes if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time

you'll learn. Theres something you cant say because it will tick someone off if you like it or not. Also, your dukes are hands. When someone on the street tells you to throw your hands, they mean fight.

I'm not denying the truth behind it, I'm saying the people that get "ticked off" need to get over themselves; there's plenty of things to worry about that are more important than cheap insults. This is the real world.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

I don't think anyone should use it ever. That includes hip hop artists.

HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HlHlHl
I don't think anyone should user it ever. That includes hip hop artists.LJS9502_basic
Why not?
rockinplanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rockinplanes
Member since 2010 • 266 Posts
I don't think anyone should user it ever. That includes hip hop artists.LJS9502_basic
It's just a word. It holds no deeper meaning nowadays. I sometimes even call my grandma a n***. It's nothing.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't think anyone should user it ever. That includes hip hop artists.HlHlHl
Why not?

Because words have meanings and that's not a positive word.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"]What do you mean no-one should be using the word?Capitan_Kid

I'm black also, and I don't care at all if white people(or any other ethnicity) use it. It's just a word to me. If someone called me a "monkey n*****", and shook a noose in my face, I'd probably say something along the lines of "Soooo... Do you plan on actually using that thing, or are you just trying to intimidate me?" I don't really care, you know. The things that happened concerning that word, happened long ago. It doesn't matter. And it's not like Africans were the only people to be enslaved.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Many blacks use the word as a form of flipping a pejorative term on its head to turn it into a term of empowerment.

I think the people who say "They use it, so we should be able to" are being immature and short-sighted.

HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HlHlHl
[QUOTE="rockinplanes"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] rofl.
[QUOTE="HlHlHl"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't think anyone should user it ever. That includes hip hop artists.LJS9502_basic
Why not?

Because words have meanings and that's not a positive word.

I would say it has lost most of its original the last few decades, especially since hip-hop and street culture "took it back' so to speak.
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
As others have said context is everything. My best friend is black and I call him all sorts of racist things and he returns the favor. People are too sensitive sometimes. But that's not to say you should go around using it casually in a conversation. Since the term is largely regarded as derogatory that's how most people are going to take it.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Big_Red-

hehehheh hehehhehehe

martinX3X
:lol:!! That actually might be a realistic reaction if that were to happen.
HlHlHl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HlHlHl
original meaning to clarify
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Big_Red-
That's about as intelligent as saying "Only women can use the B word, because they're the ones it's directed at". If you think about it, both words are similar. When women say it to each other amongst friends, it's non offensive and not a degrading term, similar to the way the N word is, but we like to get all angry and bent out of shape when we hear others using the word we constantly use.XilePrincess
Actually, the B word is gender neutral. It just means different things when directed at each gender.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

Actually, the word is gender neutral. It just means different things when directed at each gender.-Big_Red-
The original meaning was not gender neutral. However, why does one need to use insulting terms when dealing with people. If I don't like you....you'll know it without my use of derogatory insulting terms. Note:you as a general word and not directed at you specifically.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Never said it once in my life. Used "chiggers!" When I hurt myself though.