The internet is reality, and it's painful

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

The amount of stuff I read about atrocities going on around the world, minor and major that aren't even mentioned my media outlets is astounding. It really brings home reality, life and all it's futitlity. People dying for no good reason, murder, misery, it's all brought into the comfort of our living rooms because of the internet... Sometimes I wish it didn't exist, but then again if it didn't I wouldn't have the life I have now, my girlfriend, etc. So what is the internet? Amplified reality, misery aplified? I don't know, bur it makes me think way too much...

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

The amount of stuff I read about atrocities going on around the world, minor and major that aren't even mentioned my media outlets is astounding. It really brings home reality, life and all it's futitlity. People dying for no good reason, murder, misery, it's all brought into the comfort of our living rooms because of the internet... Sometimes I wish it didn't exist, but then again if it didn't I wouldn't have the life I have now, my girlfriend, etc. So what is the internet? Amplified reality, misery aplified? I don't know, bur it makes me think way too much...

Cactus_Matt

The internet is knowledge.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
No, reality is reality. The internet just gives us a convenient window to it. And it's a strictly optional one. No one is forcing you to go online and read about said atrocities which happen whether they're on the internet or not.
Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cactus_Matt

No, reality is reality. The internet just gives us a convenient window to it. And it's a strictly optional one. No one is forcing you to go online and read about said atrocities which happen whether they're on the internet or not. megagene

Yeah, but regardless of whether I know of them or not, they are happening. So the internet is reality. It's the personal accounts of people living in dictatorships, in peril, etc. It's the entire world, it's emotions, it's experiences, turned into paragraps of text or minutes of video ready to be distributed, consumed and contemplated.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts
All of the bad things that occur on the internet hardly deviate from real life atrocities that have been committed by man for millenia. It just gives a means to distribute such acts. My advice? Get a thicker skin.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
No, reality is reality. The internet just gives us a convenient window to it. And it's a strictly optional one. No one is forcing you to go online and read about said atrocities which happen whether they're on the internet or not. megagene
This.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
So... is TV reality too?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
life sucks, then you die
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

So... is TV reality too?Frame_Dragger

The liberal media? I think the f*** not.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Frame_Dragger
life sucks, then you dieJandurin
Then your corpse is shown on the net, and we all crack cold one!

@coolbeans90: No no... just Fox.
Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cactus_Matt

I feel like what I'm trying to say hasn't been conveyed right. So i'll simplify, the world sucks, people sucks, and it's because of the internet that every little nuance of said suckage has been brought to my attention. Maybe that's an obvious statement but I'm drunk right now, and also annoyed so I'm going to bed. So whatever.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolbeans90

I feel like what I'm trying to say hasn't been conveyed right. So i'll simplify, the world sucks, people sucks, and it's because of the internet that every little nuance of said suckage has been brought to my attention. Maybe that's an obvious statement but I'm drunk right now, and also annoyed so I'm going to bed. So whatever.

Cactus_Matt

If life was like the internet, it would be awesome. And when I'm drunk it is.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Frame_Dragger

Cactus_Matt
Wow... that's deep, or it could just be emo. You're either too drunk, or not drunk enough...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Cactus_Matt"]

Frame_Dragger
Wow... that's deep, or it could just be emo. You're either too drunk, or not drunk enough...

no he's just one of those drunks
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No the internet is communication. Not reality. Reality is reality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Pirate700
internet is part of reality
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

[QUOTE="megagene"]No, reality is reality. The internet just gives us a convenient window to it. And it's a strictly optional one. No one is forcing you to go online and read about said atrocities which happen whether they're on the internet or not. Cactus_Matt

Yeah, but regardless of whether I know of them or not, they are happening. So the internet is reality. It's the personal accounts of people living in dictatorships, in peril, etc. It's the entire world, it's emotions, it's experiences, turned into paragraps of text or minutes of video ready to be distributed, consumed and contemplated.

Those things happen in the real world. Not the internet.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Jandurin

reality is part of internet
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Jandurin

Tell us more.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Cactus_Matt"]

no he's just one of those drunks

Could just be a fan of Depeche Mode...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Jandurin

The internet is real and there are things that happen on it that are real (such as us talking right now), yeah. What the TC is describing isn't happening on the internet. It's happening in the real world and reported on here and on TV,etc.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Frame_Dragger

*plays 'Where Have All The Cowboys Gone', and 'Danny Boy'. That'll set you right.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

All the bad stuff in the world would still have happened, It did before there was an internet. Bad things will continue to happen in the future.

"Try not to let it get you down"

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

without painful experiences would anyone even be alive(consciously) what would it be like to live without physical or emotional pain? feeling good would be indistinguishable from everything else. Go for a few days without water and see how much you love it.

I think its easy to see that terrible things make all the great things possible. The important thing is to not dwell in one place too long, because you may not be able to come back. Anyone can manipulate their senses by knowing where to place themselves with timing and understanding. And personaly. I think that's one of the greatest things about being alive.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="megagene"]No, reality is reality. The internet just gives us a convenient window to it. And it's a strictly optional one. No one is forcing you to go online and read about said atrocities which happen whether they're on the internet or not. Cactus_Matt

Cause of course, those things weren't occurring before the internet :roll:
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Frame_Dragger

without painful experiences would anyone even be alive(consciously) what would it be like to live without physical or emotional pain? feeling good would be indistinguishable from everything else. Go for a few days without water and see how much you love it.

I think its easy to see that terrible things make all the great things possible. The important thing is to not dwell in one place too long, because you may not be able to come back. Anyone can manipulate their senses by knowing where to place themselves with timing and understanding. And personaly. I think that's one of the greatest things about being alive.

UniverseIX

Or, and here's a thought, we could all just live a hedonistic existence without the bull ****.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]

Frame_Dragger

Or, and here's a thought, we could all just live a hedonistic existence without the bull ****.

the best hedonists understand the importance of suffering to maximize pleasure. I wouldn't even call somebody a hedonist that didn't know this.

It's like painting a picture in one color, or composing music with one note. It's boring and there is nothing to compare it to. IT's indistingusiable. It the structure and form of many colors, and many notes that give any of it value. Even in a fantastic monotone drawing, what is being appreciated is the form that is shaped through the lack of colors. If you didn't know there were more colors out there. It being monotone, would mean nothing to you.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]

UniverseIX

the best hedonists understand the importance of suffering to maximize pleasure. I wouldn't even call somebody a hedonist that didn't know this.

Exactly, which is why hangovers are a blessing.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]So... is TV reality too?coolbeans90

The liberal media? I think the f*** not.

snookey = reality and its bleak

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

So... is TV reality too?Frame_Dragger

No, fact is fiction.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Life is a happier place without Internet . Internet makes us lazy and pron addicts . Intelligent are those people who've control and use Internet for very limited amount of time for work and study and quit .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Life is a happier place without Internet . Internet makes us lazy and pron addicts . Intelligent are those people who've control and use Internet for very limited amount of time for work and study and quit .

indzman
just because you found the internet late in life doesn't mean you have a proper perception of it
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Jandurin

just because you found the internet late in life doesn't mean you have a proper perception of it

Internet is very informative and at same time very addicting if one can't control it . One should learn to use internet for information to get the best out of it than becoming addicted to it .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="indzman"]

indzman

Internet is very informative and at same time very addicting if one can't control it . One should learn to use internet for information to get the best out of it than becoming addicted to it .

what do you think one should be doing instead of internetting
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I actually like knowing what's going on in the world. It's not like any of it is very surprising. You didn't know that people were getting killed in other countries until you got the internet? You thought it was just one big happy planet?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] just because you found the internet late in life doesn't mean you have a proper perception of itJandurin

what do you think one should be doing instead of internetting

HaHa this question i'm always asking myself :lol:

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
The Internet is an alternative reality to real life.
Talus057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#38 Talus057
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts

I heard a quote once I think is suitable for this thread;

"Perception is reality, sharing is optional".

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

And? What is the point of this topic?

Don't like what you read on the internet? It is simple really, don't go on the damn internet...

What are you trying to get OP? "OMG OP YOU ARE SO INSIGHTFUL I AGREE 123%!!!! I WILL NEVER LET THE INTERNET GIVE ME NEWS EVER AGAIN!!!!" ?

Talus057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Talus057

The only thing you can't do on the internet is currently being invented in Japan.

Don't worry, kids. You can rest your hands soon.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]

UniverseIX

It's like painting a picture in one color, or composing music with one note. It's boring and there is nothing to compare it to. IT's indistingusiable. It the structure and form of many colors, and many notes that give any of it value. Even in a fantastic monotone drawing, what is being appreciated is the form that is shaped through the lack of colors. If you didn't know there were more colors out there. It being monotone, would mean nothing to you.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff that looks good on paper, but coolbeans has a much better point and not done long. When you can drop the paints and justify a hangover as part of what makes being drunk fun, or how a car crash is integral to enjoying a car... you might have a point.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Internet has exposed us significantly, I think it's stupid when people say the world is going too crap. It ain't perfect but the reason people think it's gotten worse is due to the wider exposure of the internet and information we can gain. Before it was just local or national news, now it can be from anywhere.
stiggy321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 stiggy321
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts
"Give me the truth" "You can't handle the truth"magicalclick
It's "I want the truth!" Get it right. And the internet is a part of reality, therefore, it is reality, but what is seen on the internet is reality in reality. It's like a dome within a dome. Wow this thread is getting deep... heading for the abyss. Sounds like real trouble. Can't believe only my 4th death in Dark Souls and it was a curse. Getting uncursed took something like an hour... ridiculous. How's the boss in the depths? I wanna know if I should level up before trying to kill it.
Talus057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Talus057

Internet has exposed us significantly, I think it's stupid when people say the world is going too crap. It ain't perfect but the reason people think it's gotten worse is due to the wider exposure of the internet and information we can gain. Before it was just local or national news, now it can be from anywhere.shadowkiller11

I agree with that. The internet gets more and more accepted as time passes. It used to be a nerdy thing and now everyone has access on their mobile phones and most people won't go to college without a computer. On the internet a senior citizen can create a screen name on a forum without posting their age and talk to people as if everyone was the same age and they probably feel young again. Try telling that person that it's not real and they'll probably feel insulted because that illusion of youth likely feels very real to them.

It's not that the world is getting worse but that it's always been this way and a lot more people are aware of it now. Whistleblowers use it to enforce transparency for example, a lot of today's whistleblowers wouldn't be around today if there was no internet. The internet today is as real as pen and paper.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I have never looked up any articles about all the terrible things going on in the world. Mostly because it's depressing and I'd rather not go the whole day looking up recent atrocities man has committed.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#47 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The internet is not reality, ever hear the saying ''don't belive everything you hear on the internet"? well it's true. Just like you don't belive every thing that's on TV or every poll or every study. The internet is a good example of anarchy though, there are really no rules on here. Each website has it's own standards and rules and there are some things that are illegeal online(As they should be) but it seems like it's hard to stop all that stuff.

I go to the internet to learn about things and discuss with other people on issues or hobbies ect... Just don't read depressing stuff.