The Flaming Lips new albums is simply awe inspiring.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

This album is just what I've been looking for, and I've been looking for a long time. The first song (Convinced of the Hex) just froze me in place, and I couldn't stop listening to the Album. I also recommend Worm Mountain and Watching The Planets.

This is the first Flaming Lips album that I've ever gotten. Anybody else a fan? Recommendations as to which album I should get next?

And if you've not given these guys a listen yet I highly recommend you do.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Meh, i liked their older stuff more.
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DamianAlexander

Meh, i liked their older stuff more.Dr_Brocoli

Any recommendations? I wanna buy another album soon.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Not a fan but grab The Soft Bulletin

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DamianAlexander

Maybe I need to be more specific. My huge influences are Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, Animal Collective, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, The Pixies, The Strokes, and Radiohead to name a few. Any recommendations now?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The Soft Bulletin is essential listening. Check out "The Gash", "Race for the Prize", "Suddenly Everything Has Changed", "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton".

"Driving home the sky accelerates, and the clouds all form a geometric shape...it goes fast, think of the past"

God, that album is so brilliant. There literally isn't anything like it. Never could get into any of their other stuff, though.

Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Josh_3691
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts

I enjoyed Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Has an alternative/electronic kind of style to it. Bit tough to get into but it is mesmerising if you do. Also Clouds Taste Metallic is a good album by them, bit less experimental but the definition of what alternative actually is. Oh and The Soft Bulletin is brilliant as others have said.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DamianAlexander

The Soft Bulletin is essential listening. Check out "The Gash", "Race for the Prize", "Suddenly Everything Has Changed", "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton".

"Driving home the sky accelerates, and the clouds all form a geometric shape...it goes fast, think of the past"

God, that album is so brilliant. There literally isn't anything like it. Never could get into any of their other stuff, though.

UpInFlames

Thanks man, I'll pick this up later.

Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

I thought Soft Bulletin and Yoshmi were actually two of their weaker albums. There were some really great songs on both, but I can't listen to either front to back...

The rest of their catalouge isn't as "spacy" or floydish, if you will as Embryionic. They actually just put out a cover album of Dark Side of the Moon so you may want to check it out. I haven't listened to it but one of my buddies said it was REALLY disappointing, so don't get your hopes up.

Bulletin and Yoshmi were pretty damn poppy. A lot of people saw Embryonic as sort of a return to their older sound. Check out their albums Clouds Taste Metallic and Priest Driven Ambulance. I really liked At War With the Mystics too. It was probably their poppiest album, but it just stuck with me for some reason, You should really check out their entire catalogue since all their albums are really different.

Jonesy914

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Jonesy914
Member since 2008 • 1119 Posts

I suggest checking out Eels, they have a similar sound to The Flaming Lips.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I really love their new album a lot. I've been listening to it off and on for a few months.
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Cool, I'll listen to it on Spotify and maybe purchase. Some of their old stuff is pretty cool.