The Best Democracy Money Can Buy?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Well, I know debates on Health Care reform have been pretty much sucking up all the oxygen out of the board where political discussions are concerned, but there ARE other things going on in the U.S. aside from just that one (admittedly huge) issue. The U.S. Supreme Court just issued their 5-4 ruling, in the Citizens United v. FEC case. This ruling overturns a 1990 decision that stated that corporations could not run ads outright advocating the defeat of certain political candidates. Voting in the majority were judges Alito, Roberts, Scalia, Kennedy, and Thomas, generally considered to be the most conservative judges on the court. Voting in the minority were Stevens, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor. Writing for the majority, Justice Kennedy stated: [quote="Justice Kennedy"] Distinguishing wealthy individuals from corporations based on the latter's special advantages of e.g., limited liability, does not suffice to allow laws prohibiting speech. It is irrelevant for First Amendment purposes that corporate funds may "have little or no correlation to the public's support for the corporation's political ideas." Austin, supra, at 660. All speakers, including individuals and the media, use money amassed from the economic marketplace to fund their speech, and the First Amendment protects the resulting speech.

My personal view is that I strongly disagree and dislike this decision because of the effect it would likely have on good policy. At the end of the day, the first concern of ANY politician is getting reelected. Some of the larger corporations have a LOT of money to spend on advertisements. If anyone out there has ever thought that our politicians were bought and paid for before, now imagine how likely they are to - just as an example - try and regulate major banking institutions when those institutions could dump millions of dollars into ads advocating the defeat of people in favor of doing so during the next election cycle. What are some other thoughts out there? Agree or disagree with the decision? Why or why not? Edit: Hat tip to PannicAtack for a relevant CNN Link
bigfootstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bigfootstew
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

As if our political system wasn't horribly corrupt and "pay to play" enough already...

The big corporations that run our government aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Woohoo!! Lets give more power to the corporations! Why dont we let them run for office!? Think about it, it could be called the Ronald McDonald house! Wouldnt that be great?! While we're at it, why dont we privatise EVERYTHING and let politicians accept whatever "gifts" from any individual they want! Since government regulation is bad, this would be a step in the right direction right? We could have monopolies, be slaves to the corporation, it would be great!
What a great vision some politicans have. :)

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
Hooray for corporate power!
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Anyone running for office.. should be giving the same exact amount of money to spend on advertising.. no more, no less.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

If a group of people with a common interest wish to rally for/against a candidate, why shouldn't they?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

If a group of people with a common interest wish to rally for/against a candidate, why shouldn't they?

Oleg_Huzwog
... Because we already got that through interest groups.. Corporations, and other such things have regulations set fourth for a reason when it comes to campaigning and donating..
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts
Good. Free Speech FTW.
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EMOEVOLUTION
Good. Free Speech FTW.Stumpt25
there is no such thing as free speech.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814

... Uhhh :roll: businesses can already do this through 527 committees, and PACs..

bigfootstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigfootstew
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Big, evil multinational corporations with billions of dollars to influence politics FTW.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
Y'know, some days I really don't know whether I hate the crazy religious side or the corporate brown-nosing side of American conservatism more.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Thank you, conservative majority.

And people think that buying politicians is bad enough already?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/21/campaign.finance.ruling/index.html?hpt=T2

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nocoolnamejim
I've gone ahead and added your link up to the original post and credited you PannicAtack. Thank you!
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PannicAtack

Oleg_Huzwog

We already have interest groups. This is about corporations and labor unions paying politicians to support their own agendas. Before, there were limits on what these private groups could give to politicians, thanks to John McCain and campaign finance reform. Now, the conservative majority of the Supreme Court is undoing that.

This isn't free speech. This is private interests paying politicians to go for their agendas.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PannicAtack
I've gone ahead and added your link up to the original post and credited you PannicAtack. Thank you!nocoolnamejim
Yay! Somebody appreciates me!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Wow... This is a bummer. I don't think anything good can come from this.:(
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Wow... This is a bummer. I don't think anything good can come from this.:(rragnaar
Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
very good news
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
This is bad. Companies should not be allowed to campaign for politicians. If there was ever a way of creating more special interest groups, the Supreme Court just did it.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
the USA is really weird. i mean its a strong country, with great capabilities, but i always hear its citizens complain about the stupidity and injustice of the government.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oleg_Huzwog

Because we already got that through interest groups..sSubZerOo

We already have interest groups.PannicAtack

Right. We do have interest groups. How is a corporation not just another interest group? Is it just the size of their wallet or is there something else? Why are corporate ads worse than ads from interest groups?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

the USA is really weird. i mean its a strong country, with great capabilities, but i always hear its citizens complain about the stupidity and injustice of the government. GazaAli

Besides countries like North Korea, what country's citizens don't openly complain about the government?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

I'll have to agree with this fellow. I am happy about the decision.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Because we already got that through interest groups..Oleg_Huzwog

Right. We do have interest groups. How is a corporation not just another interest group? Is it just the size of their wallet or is there something else? Why are corporate ads worse than ads from interest groups?

Interests groups represent demographics of people (ideally, at least). A corporation represents a hell of a lot less people, but can also contribute a great deal more money depending on how much the company makes. So, you have more money coming from less people. Somewhat unbalanced.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]the USA is really weird. i mean its a strong country, with great capabilities, but i always hear its citizens complain about the stupidity and injustice of the government. JML897

Besides countries like North Korea, what country's citizens don't openly complain about the government?

i know people always complain about governments, but americans take it to a whole new level. you fight, and go crazy on each other(people vs government).
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Because we already got that through interest groups..Oleg_Huzwog

I'm by no means a campaign finance expert, so someone who is can chime in if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the limits on the money involved and who controls the distribution of that money are the differences here. Individuals, even PACs and interest groups, have limits based on how the money is collected and spent. For example, a certain PAC could spend as much as they wanted on something, but their limits are based on how many people they can get to contribute. Those in turns are limited by limits on the individuals involved. So, say, if a limit of what an individual could donate to a PAC is $2500, then the PAC in question would be limited by how many donations they could raise. In turn, this, at least in theory, really is concerned citizens joining together in order to funnel money a certain direction. The company I work for, as an example, sends occasional messages to all workers asking them to contribute to assist the company's goals.

The difference in what this allows is that a company, like the one I work for, wouldn't need to get a bunch of employee contributions to use like in a PAC. The chief officers of the company could just take money directly from the company's advertising budget and spend it supporting whomever they damn well chose, whether little old me supported the candidate or not. Imagine a multi-billion dollar company with hundreds of millions of dollars they could spend however they chose. You could have a whole lot of political power concentrated into a very small number of hands at the top of the company. For example, think of a big insurance company specifically running ads not just pushing for a particular policy, but could directly campaign against people that supported Health Care Reform. Now imagine the five biggest insurance companies, all with hundreds of millions of dollars they could spend and no accountability to anyone but the top decision makers of the company.
Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

Interests groups represent demographics of people (ideally, at least). A corporation represents a hell of a lot less people, but can also contribute a great deal more money depending on how much the company makes. So, you have more money coming from less people. Somewhat unbalanced.PannicAtack

A corporation represents its shareholders which typically number in the 10s of thousands, many in the 100s of thousands.

Why is it ok for a guy like George Soros to poor billions of dollars in to the political marketplace via his MoveOn.org and MediaMatters organization, but WalMart can't spend any of its money to influence govt policy. Why is it ok for NYC Mayor Bloomberg to spend his personal fortune to get elected, and conduct a personal campaign against private gun ownership, but Smith & Wesson can't use its resources to counter his agenda?

Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Political speech should be a free-for-all with everyone participating as much as they can. What is critical is disclosure. As long as we all know who is paying for what message, we are supposed to be intelligent citizens who can discern what is in our best interests.

I really don't understand those of you who want to entrust great power to government but think a private entity such as a corporation is the greater evil that must be restrained. Last time I looked WalMart does not have a police force that can deprive me of my liberty and/or property.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

The government definitely should not be able to pick and chose who gets to publicly endorse candidates. This was a good decision. 1st admendment rights are far too valuable to allow tinkering with on any level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

PannicAtack

We already have interest groups. This is about corporations and labor unions paying politicians to support their own agendas. Before, there were limits on what these private groups could give to politicians, thanks to John McCain and campaign finance reform. Now, the conservative majority of the Supreme Court is undoing that.

This isn't free speech. This is private interests paying politicians to go for their agendas.

John McCain actually spear headed the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act.. Which struck down the use of soft money by political parties for purposes that it was not meant for (namely it was used for campaigning, when it was suppose to be used for party building..).

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]Good. Free Speech FTW.PannicAtack

It's not about paying politicians. It's about private entities running ads on their own accord. That IS a free speech issue.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nocoolnamejim
Hey folks, if you want to scroll up a bit, I think I answered most of the questions on how this is different from other forms of ads/political spending in my previous post. Also, if anyone is curious, this site tracks all political spending of all kinds. Quite useful. Most of the time if you follow the money you can see why any particular politician is supporting any particular policy.
Vennligsinnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vennligsinnet
Member since 2010 • 529 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up nocoolnamejim. It's terrible news in my opinion and will surely prove to have negative effects on our already questionable democracy.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nocoolnamejim
Thanks for bringing this up nocoolnamejim. It's terrible news in my opinion and will surely prove to have negative effects on our already questionable democracy.Vennligsinnet
My pleasure. Welcome to Gamespot.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]the USA is really weird. i mean its a strong country, with great capabilities, but i always hear its citizens complain about the stupidity and injustice of the government. GazaAli

i know people always complain about governments, but americans take it to a whole new level. you fight, and go crazy on each other(people vs government).

Hey, we're probably the only nation that thinks that healthcare reform is more worthy of protest than war.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Meanwhile, in Canada, lobby groups can only spend $150,000 nationally and $3,000 per riding...

I will never understand how someone can assert that free speech is somehow being defended by ensuring that only those can be heard who can raise and spend sufficiently exorbitant amounts of money.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EMOEVOLUTION

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="JML897"]

PannicAtack

Hey, we're probably the only nation that thinks that healthcare reform is more worthy of protest than war.

an excellent point.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EMOEVOLUTION

Meanwhile, in Canada, lobby groups can only spend $150,000 nationally and $3,000 per riding...

I will never understand how someone can assert that free speech is somehow being defended by ensuring that only those can be heard who can raise and spend sufficiently exorbitant amounts of money.

GabuEx
I feel the same way:(
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PannicAtack

GabuEx
It's like how people protested the public option on the grounds that it would be a threat to people's ability to choose their healthcare plan... by giving them another option for a healthcare plan.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GazaAli

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] i know people always complain about governments, but americans take it to a whole new level. you fight, and go crazy on each other(people vs government).EMOEVOLUTION

an excellent point.

at least we have free healthcare :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

GabuEx

Let me try to explain.

In the U.S.A. we have freedom of association. You can organize like-minded folks around a political principle or issue and pool your money to get your message out.

For instance, I belong to the National Rifle Association, the largest grass roots political organization in the country. Me and my fellow members pool our resources to fight against enemies of the 2nd Amendment and support its friends. So far, no other grass roots organization, or corporation, or billionaire, or political party has been able to match our muscle on this issue.

See, its not so hard to understand. Its called the free exchange of ideas.

What I don't understand is why people want to equate the ability to put out a message to the ability to vote. Only an individual can vote. Why are you so convinced that your fellow citizens are too stupid to discern where a message comes from, what agenda might be behind it, and what, in the end, is in their own best interest.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

PannicAtack

It's like how people protested the public option on the grounds that it would be a threat to people's ability to choose their healthcare plan... by giving them another option for a healthcare plan.

Sometimes I really do feel as though America is some sort of bizarro world. Take a look at this Pew poll, for instance, or specifically the part about health care. Among opponents of health care, if the proposed health care reform passes, 31% believe it will become more difficult to get coverage if youhave pre-existing conditions, and 38% believe it will become more difficult to get coverage if you lose your jobs.

These aren't really points of debate; these are both things that are... provably false. In other words, people who oppose health care reform believe things about it that are not just debatable, but are just flatlywrong. And that's depressing.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Sometimes I really do feel as though America is some sort of bizarro world. Take a look at this Pew poll, for instance, or specifically the part about health care. Among opponents of health care, if the proposed health care reform passes, 31% believe it will become more difficult to get coverage if youhave pre-existing conditions, and 38% believe it will become more difficult to get coverage if you lose your jobs.

These aren't really points of debate; these are both things that are... provably false. In other words, people who oppose health care reform believe things about it that are not just debatable, but are just flatlywrong. And that's depressing.

... Wasn't the health care reform supposed to fix those problems about things like not being able to get care if you have pre-existing conditions or lose your job?
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EMOEVOLUTION

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

collegeboy64

Let me try to explain.

In the U.S.A. we have freedom of association. You can organize like-minded folks around a political principle or issue and pool your money to get your message out.

For instance, I belong to the National Rifle Association, the largest grass roots political organization in the country. Me and my fellow members pool our resources to fight against enemies of the 2nd Amendment and support its friends. So far, no other grass roots organization, or corporation, or billionaire, or political party has been able to match our muscle on this issue.

What I don't understand is why people want to equate the ability to put out a message to the ability to vote. Only an individual can vote. Why are you so convinced that your fellow citizens are too stupid to discern where a message comes from, what agenda might be behind it, and what, in the end, is in their own best interest.

It's really not a matter of being stupid. It's a matter that people are influenced by the media. Free speech is free.. it doesn't come with a price tag. But, obviously in this case it does. If as you suggest.. that people aren't swayed by what they see on television or in other forms of media.. then why do people invest so much money into it? Clearly, it would be a waste.. if what you're saying is true.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

collegeboy64

Let me try to explain.

Allow me to try and explain again, since I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually read my post earlier where I explained the differences between individual groups like the NRA and what this ruling allows. . . . . I'm by no means a campaign finance expert, so someone who is can chime in if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the limits on the money involved and who controls the distribution of that money are the differences here. Individuals, even PACs and interest groups, have limits based on how the money is collected and spent. For example, a certain PAC could spend as much as they wanted on something, but their limits are based on how many people they can get to contribute. Those in turns are limited by limits on the individuals involved. So, say, if a limit of what an individual could donate to a PAC is $2500, then the PAC in question would be limited by how many donations they could raise. In turn, this, at least in theory, really is concerned citizens joining together in order to funnel money a certain direction. The company I work for, as an example, sends occasional messages to all workers asking them to contribute to assist the company's goals. The difference in what this allows is that a company, like the one I work for, wouldn't need to get a bunch of employee contributions to use like in a PAC. The chief officers of the company could just take money directly from the company's advertising budget and spend it supporting whomever they damn well chose, whether little old me supported the candidate or not. Imagine a multi-billion dollar company with hundreds of millions of dollars they could spend however they chose. You could have a whole lot of political power concentrated into a very small number of hands at the top of the company. For example, think of a big insurance company specifically running ads not just pushing for a particular policy, but could directly campaign against people that supported Health Care Reform. Now imagine the five biggest insurance companies, all with hundreds of millions of dollars they could spend and no accountability to anyone but the top decision makers of the company.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

The U.S. has not known uncorrupted democracy for many decades already. This is just hilarious.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Oleg_Huzwog

GabuEx

It's simple. Free Speech (in the constitutional sense) only applies to government restrictions on private entities. It has nothing to do with private vs private. However right or wrong it may seem, a law that silences private group A so that private group B may be heard, is a clear violation of A's rights.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
yeah more international mega corporation money in politics. the Allies won WWII but it seems Fascism won as well.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]I will never understand how someone can assert that free speech is somehow being defended by ensuring that only those can be heard who can raise and spend sufficiently exorbitant amounts of money.

Oleg_Huzwog

It's simple. Free Speech (in the constitutional sense) only applies to government restrictions on private entities. It has nothing to do with private vs private. However right or wrong it may seem, a law that silences private group A so that private group B may be heard, is a clear violation of A's rights.

What speech? It's companies giving money to politicians.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]I will never understand how someone can assert that free speech is somehow being defended by ensuring that only those can be heard who can raise and spend sufficiently exorbitant amounts of money.

Oleg_Huzwog

It does not silence private group B, it just makes them spend their OWN money - within contribution limits - stating their point of view instead of just taking from the company advertising budget. Let's say you are CEO of a major corporation. You make millions of dollars each year. You are more than welcome to spend your own money saying whatever you want. You're also more than welcome to ask employees to contribute to the company PAC to advocate the company's goals, if they so choose. What this decision allows you to do, as CEO, is to directly take the company's advertising budget and spend it however you choose, supporting any candidate you choose.