The bane of Canada.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
As the 2007 seal hunt grows closer, it’s important to separate the facts from the fiction. Here are the top three myths told by Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) about the upcoming commercial seal hunt: Myth #1: The seal hunt is humane. All available evidence, including veterinary reports and independent observations, indicates that each year tens of thousands of seal pups die in an unacceptably cruel manner inconsistent with contemporary animal welfare standards. Year after year, observers report abuses such as the hooking and dragging of live seals across the ice, seals clubbed or shot and left to suffer on the ice, and seals skinned while conscious. While all recent veterinary reports recommend reducing the suffering of seals, their recommendations have not been fully implemented. There is no doubt that Canada’s commercial seal hunt continues to result in considerable and unacceptable suffering. Myth #2: The seal hunt is closely monitored and well managed. The seal hunt involves thousands of sealers competing for a limited number of seals during a relatively short period of time. Sealers are concerned with killing as many animals as quickly as possible instead of checking to see if a seal is dead before moving on to club the next one. Year after year, IFAW hunt observers encounter seals that have been clubbed and left to suffer on the ice, bleeding profusely, crying, breathing and attempting to crawl. These are not “reflexes” as the DFO claims, which are easily recognised and familiar to those observing the seal hunt. During 2006, the DFO claimed to have had 12 monitors for the Gulf hunt, the largest enforcement effort ever. Yet sealers in one region were allowed to take three times their quota without any consequences. In fact the Total Allowable Catch has been exceeded in four of the past five years. Myth #3: The seal hunt is sustainable. An unsuspecting young seal relaxes on the ice. A recent study by IFAW scientists found that the current management approach risks depleting the harp seal herd by as much as 70% in the next 15 years. Seal catch quotas set by the Canadian government are much higher than government scientists’ estimates of what is sustainable, and these quotas are then allowed to be exceeded. The DFO often states that the harp seal population has tripled since the 1970s. However, this ignores the fact that between 1950 and 1970 the harp seal population was reduced by as much as two-thirds from seal hunting. Since 1995, harp seals are being killed at levels similar to those that caused a dangerous decline in the past, and the DFO now admits that the population has declined. Climate change is also presenting a new threat to the harp seal population by negatively impacting their breeding habitat. Increasingly, poor ice conditions off the east coast of Canada are causing higher than normal seal pup mortality. Government scientists estimate that in 2002, 75% of the pups in the Gulf of St. Lawrence died due to a lack of ice before the hunt even began. Yet the government continues to increase the total allowable catches for harp seals, putting the population at increased risk. Visit stopthesealhunt.ca to learn more Many more myths about Canada’s commercial seal hunt will be heard over the next few months in an attempt to justify the seal hunt. But no matter how the truth is distorted, it cannot change the fact that the seal hunt is terribly cruel.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
1. I strongly disagree with any form of hunting. It's f**king disgusting. The only humane way to kill an animal is as close to instant as possible. 2. Causing suffering for entertainment is terrible. I would glady harpoon the perpetrator's as punishment.
tidus_swain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 tidus_swain
Member since 2003 • 10019 Posts
Hope anyone remotely interested in taking part gets hunted down so they know what it feels like to be defenceless and frightened before before murderised.
blackleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 blackleech
Member since 2004 • 15348 Posts
I think it's about the same for lots of animals other than seals... take sharks and whales for example...
Marx_Brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Marx_Brother
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts
I would gladly involve myself in a sport to beat up canadians with clubs....
patente101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 patente101
Member since 2004 • 2628 Posts

How could anyone even think of hurting that is just beyond my comprehension. :(

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="Gregoroth"]1. I strongly disagree with any form of hunting. It's f**king disgusting. The only humane way to kill an animal is as close to instant as possible. 2. Causing suffering for entertainment is terrible. I would glady harpoon the perpetrator's as punishment.

I see hunting for meat as remotely acceptable, at least more so than the meat industry, but these methods are horrific. I would too, I can't believe people get off with like 5 years maximum even if they torture animals to death, and that it is even fully allowed in the seal hunt and the meat industry....
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Karayan-

How could anyone even think of hurting that is just beyond my comprehension. :(

patente101
Those hunters are monsters, not people.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts

I don't agree with bashing baby seals to death. ....for a fur coat. But I don't think it's just about Canadians doing the killing. I would guess Americans and other nationalities are also up there wacking the hell out of them.

.....Canada still make the very best Fish& Chips

FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
these so called "seal hunters" are the kinds of ppl I would love to run across in the bar one day. I would follow them to there vehicle, kidnap and torture them until they begged for mercy...then they would lie there until they bled to death... sorry that is a bit over board but its just disgusting what people can do to seals, and for absolutely no reason other then to make themselves feel more like "men".
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Karayan-

I don't agree with bashing baby seals to death. ....for a fur coat. But I don't think it's just about Canadians doing the killing. I would guess Americans and other nationalities are also up there wacking the hell out of them.

nohabs
The "hunt" is officially Canadian, and is being performed on Canadian soil.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Why does it even happen? What's the benefit supposedly? :|
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Canada still make the very best Fish& Chips

nohabs

Lies. Go to England. It's like Canada's older, more popular brother who gets all the chicks. :P

FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
Everyone should email this story to the news agencies and there local politicians.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Karayan-
Why does it even happen? What's the benefit supposedly? :|Ninja-Vox
Fur... Belgium has banned seal fur, kudos to them!
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nohabs
[QUOTE="nohabs"]

-Karayan-

I know but thats where the seals live. I know what you mean...the Gov should stop seal hunting. I just wanted to share the blame

nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nohabs
[QUOTE="nohabs"]Canada still make the very best Fish& Chips

Ninja-Vox

Lies. Go to England. It's like Canada's older, more popular brother who gets all the chicks. :P

I've had F&C's from England too...not the same. But it's a contest I would love to enter

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="nohabs"]

nohabs

I know but thats where the seals live. I know what you mean...the Gov should stop seal hunting. I just wanted to share the blame

It's Canada's decision, and theirs alone. They make or break the hunt.