Syrian rebels blockade village- won't let medicine and food in

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

So in this Syrian civil war it seems that Westerners tend to sympathize with the rebels. But maybe the rebels aren't really any better than Assad.

recently a force of Syrian rebels blockaded, Rableh, a mostly Christian village in Syria. The Rebels blocked shipments of food and medicine and even used snipers to kill three men who were searching for food. However the rebels did allow a group called Mussalaha (the goal of the group is to bring about reconciliation between both sides of the conflict) to bring in some humanitarian aid.

Syrian forces eventually managed to free the village from the blockade, but they did accidentally damage part of an ancient Christian monastery with a bomb dropped from a helicopter (luckily the bomb didn't kill anyone).

Here is a video that contains a news brief talking about the blockade (the brief about the blockade appears about 1 minute and 40 seconds into the video).

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

I'm starting to think no one will ever learn over there.

Everyone in those countries seem stupid. When I say everyone I mean the MEN ARE STUPID IN THE MIDDLE EAST. For the most part. Don't know never been there.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

IDK....

It seems kinda vague to me. Have the rebels made any announcements?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

That's terrible.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whipassmt

Also the video I linked to points out that the Syrian violence has spilled over into Northern Lebanon, yet despite the violence, Pope Benedict XVI has not cancelled his visit to Lebanon, although he is mostly visited Southern Lebanon.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
And this is why the West shouldn't be so quick to jump to the rebels' side.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whipassmt

IDK....

It seems kinda vague to me. Have the rebels made any announcements?

MlauTheDaft

I don't know. It's possible (maybe even likely), that there are multiple factions among the rebels, some of whom are more professional and honorous and some of whom may be Jihadis or well-armed thugs.

Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts

Everyone in those countries seem stupid. When I say everyone I mean the MEN ARE STUPID IN THE MIDDLE EAST. For the most part. Don't know never been there.

lo_Pine
...I'm sorry, but your post is quite profoundly stupid...You're stating that approximately half the Middle East's population (Total population aggregate is over 450 million) is stupid?
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MlauTheDaft

And this is why the West shouldn't be so quick to jump to the rebels' side.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

This thread sure made you jump to conlusions quickly, though ;)

It's always been naive to consider the rebels white knights, that does'nt mean Assad is'nt a psychotic monster.

Edit:

It's always a clusterf*ck when the people takes justice into their it's own hands.

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]And this is why the West shouldn't be so quick to jump to the rebels' side.MlauTheDaft

It's always been naive to consider the rebels white knights, that does'nt mean Assad is'nt a psychotic monster.

I've been following the conflict since it first started. This wasn't the first instance I've seen where the rebels are just as guilty of doing inhumane things as Al-Assad's regime.
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts

Well, considering that Assad's brutal/despotic regime (Dictatorship) has killed over 20,000 civilians and displaced 10s of thousands more, I wouldn't necessarily equate the rebels to the Syrian army...

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]And this is why the West shouldn't be so quick to jump to the rebels' side.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

I've been following the conflict since it first started. This wasn't the first instance I've seen where the rebels are just as guilty of doing inhumane things as Al-Assad's regime.

So you consider Assad righteous? Because that's what I got from your first post.

The man does have thousands of lives on his conscience and no tolerance for disobedience.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whipassmt

And this is why the West shouldn't be so quick to jump to the rebels' side.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
True. Although Assad isn't too great either. The major problems with a rebel victory is that it could lead to chaos, Islamist extremists getting sanctuary, or widespread violence against religious minorities (namely Alawi Shia Muslims and Christians). On the other hand Assad is an Iranian ally, supports anti-U.S. and anti-Israeli terrorist groups (namely Hezbollah, Hamas has largely broken its ties with Assad over his crackdown on Syria) and has a bad human rights record.

The thing I would say that the West should avoid doing is arming the rebels, since we have no idea if those arms will fall into bad hands (kind of like how U.S. and Arab governments armed Jihadis during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan and much of those weapons ended up in the hands of terrorists or on the black market). I would rather have Western intevention that focuses on keeping foreign (namely Iranian) weapons out of Syria, and perhaps use Western warships to patrol Syria's sea in order to prevent Syrian gunboats from firing on civilian areas, we could also use SAMs to shoot down Syrian planes and copters that fire on civilians.

the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_ChEeSe_mAn2

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

MlauTheDaft

So you consider Assad righteous? Because that's what I got from your first post.

The man does have thousands of lives on his conscience and no tolerance for disobedience.

How did you arrive to that conclusion from my first post? You are right he does have blood of thousands on his hands and he is still in denial that all these months later (every time his regime comments on events, they refer to rebels as "terrorist gangs").
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whipassmt

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

MlauTheDaft

Yeah. Just like his dear old dad, and their fellow Baathist Saddam Hussein.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"] I've been following the conflict since it first started. This wasn't the first instance I've seen where the rebels are just as guilty of doing inhumane things as Al-Assad's regime.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

How did you arrive to that conclusion from my first post? You are right he does have blood of thousands on his hands and he is still in denial that all these months later (every time his regime comments on events, they refer to rebels as "terrorist gangs").

I suppose it was just your wording.

I have no glorified sympathy for the rebels but as of right now, Assad is by far the greater evil.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

not surprised and i still support the rebels,this is middle east where our best bet is to choose the bad over the worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

not surprised and i still support the rebels,this is middle east where our best bet is to choose the bad over the worse.

VaguelyTagged
.. If history has anything to say about it, its not to choose either side.. And to hold both at arms distance away.. The fact of the matter is the West does not need to support one side or the other, they can be neutral and give humanitarian aid to the people who need it..
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]

Edit:

It's always a clusterf*ck when the people takes justice into their it's own hands.

MlauTheDaft
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]

Nayef_shroof
...I'm sorry, but your post is quite profoundly stupid...You're stating that approximately half the Middle East's population (Total population aggregate is over 450 million) is stupid?

Jeez man it's called exaggeration. I'm sorry if I don't feel like making every possible disclaimer before I post something here. Well, here you go, DISCLAIMER: NOT ALL MUSLIM/MIDDLE EASTERN PEOPLE ARE STUPID.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whipassmt

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

sSubZerOo

.. If history has anything to say about it, its not to choose either side.. And to hold both at arms distance away.. The fact of the matter is the West does not need to support one side or the other, they can be neutral and give humanitarian aid to the people who need it..

This is probably the best thing to do. As well as keep foreign weaponry from reaching either side. Also we could use armed predator drones to monitor the situation, and if need be, to fire on those who attack civilians.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Any sources other than RT and Vaitcan news?

It very well could be true, but still....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

whipassmt

This is probably the best thing to do. As well as keep foreign weaponry from reaching either side. Also we could use armed predator drones to monitor the situation, and if need be, to fire on those who attack civilians.

Yeah.. No.. That is a violation of sovereignty the United States has no right to violate, unless the UN rules otherwise.. Which they won't.. If we are really concerned about people suffering, we got hundreds of millions of those.. Hell we don't even need to go that far, Haiti has yet to recover from the hurricane..
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson
[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] .. If history has anything to say about it, its not to choose either side.. And to hold both at arms distance away.. The fact of the matter is the West does not need to support one side or the other, they can be neutral and give humanitarian aid to the people who need it.. sSubZerOo

Yeah.. No.. That is a violation of sovereignty the United States has no right to violate, unless the UN rules otherwise.. Which they won't.. If we are really concerned about people suffering, we got hundreds of millions of those.. Hell we don't even need to go that far, Haiti has yet to recover from the hurricane..

...violation of sovereignty...basically let whatever a mad man wants to do because it's within his borders... Werent you in another thread saying that Clinton made a mistake not intervening in Rwanda?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] This is probably the best thing to do. As well as keep foreign weaponry from reaching either side. Also we could use armed predator drones to monitor the situation, and if need be, to fire on those who attack civilians.BossPerson

...violation of sovereignty...basically let whatever a mad man wants to do because it's within his borders... Werent you in another thread saying that Clinton made a mistake not intervening in Rwanda?

Yep the difference is this.. The UN agreed to help they passed a ruling.. The problem? No security council member wanted to lift a finger in sending any kind of real forces to prevent it from happening.. Furthermore Syria has not gotten to the genocide levels of places like Darfur or Rwanda in which warlords unrecognized by the UN were committing the said acts.,,

And no my point is this, inless its something truly horrific, such as mass scale genocide.. Then there are plenty of people to be helping in the world before we even think about places like Syria.. The only reason why Syria is getting coverage is because of its political importance..

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

not sure if true, but if it is, Im not sure why people are so shocked, this is a war.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whipassmt

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Yeah.. No.. That is a violation of sovereignty the United States has no right to violate, unless the UN rules otherwise.. Which they won't.. If we are really concerned about people suffering, we got hundreds of millions of those.. Hell we don't even need to go that far, Haiti has yet to recover from the hurricane.. sSubZerOo

Yep the difference is this.. The UN agreed to help they passed a ruling.. The problem? No security council member wanted to lift a finger in sending any kind of real forces to prevent it from happening.. Furthermore Syria has not gotten to the genocide levels of places like Darfur or Rwanda in which warlords unrecognized by the UN were committing the said acts.,,

And no my point is this, inless its something truly horrific, such as mass scale genocide.. Then there are plenty of people to be helping in the world before we even think about places like Syria.. The only reason why Syria is getting coverage is because of its political importance..

I don't understand why you place so much importance on the UN. A government killing innocent people is killing innocent people, regardless of the UN's position on the matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]...violation of sovereignty...basically let whatever a mad man wants to do because it's within his borders... Werent you in another thread saying that Clinton made a mistake not intervening in Rwanda?whipassmt

I don't understand why you place so much importance on the UN. A government killing innocent people is killing innocent people, regardless of the UN's position on the matter.

Perhaps because the United States has a history of supporting said governments that kill their own people? Just a thought.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Yep the difference is this.. The UN agreed to help they passed a ruling.. The problem? No security council member wanted to lift a finger in sending any kind of real forces to prevent it from happening.. Furthermore Syria has not gotten to the genocide levels of places like Darfur or Rwanda in which warlords unrecognized by the UN were committing the said acts.,,

sSubZerOo

Perhaps because the United States has a history of supporting said governments that kill their own people? Just a thought.

Which has what to do with the UN?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whipassmt

Any sources other than RT and Vaitcan news?

It very well could be true, but still....

BossPerson

The Video was from a third source (EWTN's World Over Live with Raymond Arroyo), and technically the News.va source is from "agenzia fides" not "Vatican news" (news.va isn't a news agency itself, it is a site that host articles from various news agencies affiliated with the Holy See).

But what's wrong with the sources? I don't think Fox or CNN would be "better".

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] I don't understand why you place so much importance on the UN. A government killing innocent people is killing innocent people, regardless of the UN's position on the matter.

whipassmt

Believe it or not, USA can't simply act as it pleases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] I don't understand why you place so much importance on the UN. A government killing innocent people is killing innocent people, regardless of the UN's position on the matter.

whipassmt

The fact of the matter is we cannot go in to save every body on the planet, while at the same time supporting awful people all the same.. Syria is not going to be invaded due to humanitarian reasons.. Its going to be invaded if its a political threat.. This boils down to why Darfur and Rwanda were ignored, in which gurrilla groups unrecognized by any one were going around slaughtering people with assault rifles and machetes.. Because it wasn't of political importance.. That is why I oppose of ever attacking Syria at this time because its absolutely false to claim that its to save people.. To invade Syria based upon teh idea its treating its civilians poorly shoudl also make the US look at all their allies that they have supported for decades.. That is why I would only ever trust a UN vote for such a thing to begin with..
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#32 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Oh no, but how will I be able to maintain my stereotypical good/evil view on the matter?

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts
"So in this Syrian civil war it seems that Westerners tend to sympathize with the rebels. But maybe the rebels aren't really any better than Assad." Probably because they aren't. True that Asad is scum and needs to leave, but anyone who thinks these rebels are peace loving humanitarians is seriously deluded.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Perhaps because the United States has a history of supporting said governments that kill their own people? Just a thought.MlauTheDaft

No country can.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Some of the rebels are a little sketchy. I saw some footage of them lining up and executing about 30 people. Supposedly those people worked or fought for Assad, but that's still not right to just shoot them in cold blood. Wars do have a tendency to lead to bad things like that, though.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] Which has what to do with the UN?

whipassmt

No country can.

I'm aware of that, it was you who needed correction.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I'm at the point where I just don't really care anymore. The US isn't going to intervene given Russian and Chinese influence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

MlauTheDaft

No country can.

I'm aware of that, it was you who needed correction.

???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
I'm at the point where I just don't really care anymore. The US isn't going to intervene given Russian and Chinese influence. HoolaHoopMan
That's actually a good point. Syria has always been a puppet of those two countries. If anyone can stop the violence going on there, it's really up to those two countries - not the west.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whipassmt

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Yeah.. No.. That is a violation of sovereignty the United States has no right to violate, unless the UN rules otherwise.. Which they won't.. If we are really concerned about people suffering, we got hundreds of millions of those.. Hell we don't even need to go that far, Haiti has yet to recover from the hurricane.. sSubZerOo

I thought a big part of the reason Clinton didn't militarily intervene in Rwanda is because of what happened in Somalia. As for Darfur, I could understand why the U.S. didn't want to send in troops. On the bright side, The Bush Administration was able to get the Sudanese government and the southern rebels to sign a peace agreement that eventually resulted in independence for South Sudan.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I'm at the point where I just don't really care anymore. The US isn't going to intervene given Russian and Chinese influence. sonicare
That's actually a good point. Syria has always been a puppet of those two countries. If anyone can stop the violence going on there, it's really up to those two countries - not the west.

I'd also thrown Iran in there too. Syria has plenty of neighbors that could possibly add 'something' positive to the situation. The only thing I could see triggering any NATO/UN intervention would be chemical or biological weapons use, but that's highly unlikely.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BossPerson
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I'm at the point where I just don't really care anymore. The US isn't going to intervene given Russian and Chinese influence. sonicare

Syria is a puppet of Iran, not really Russia and China. Only reason you dont hear Iran in this conflict much is because they dont sit on the security council. But they have been providing resources to the Syrian regime for more than a year now to fight the uprising/civil war
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MlauTheDaft

???sonicare

You should've just read the first two pages of the thread ;)

It was because of this:

whipassmt

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Assad still needs to go.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]...violation of sovereignty...basically let whatever a mad man wants to do because it's within his borders... Werent you in another thread saying that Clinton made a mistake not intervening in Rwanda?whipassmt

I thought a big part of the reason Clinton didn't militarily intervene in Rwanda is because of what happened in Somalia. As for Darfur, I could understand why the U.S. didn't want to send in troops. On the bright side, The Bush Administration was able to get the Sudanese government and the southern rebels to sign a peace agreement that eventually resulted in independence for South Sudan.

Only after the Sudanese government slaughtered everyone who they wanted dead.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 whipassmt

Assad still needs to go. -Sun_Tzu-
I think out of Assad and Kaddafi, Assad is probably worse. Though Saddam might've been worse than Assad. Bashir in Sudan probably should go too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

They did send troops, literally around 45 of them.. When they came under attack they were instantly pulled out.. And a time table was set fourth, the thing was that it had a kill switch that basically allowed the entire security council to pretty much ignore it.. Thats why it pisses me off and makes me roll my eyes when ever I hear that so and so, be it the United States.. Or west in general.. Is doing this mainly for humanitarian reasons.. Bullsh!t.. Darfur literally recieved minimal media coverage compared to places like Libya because of its political importance..

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Assad's regime has commited far worse then anything the rebels have

gamerguru100

Forum Posts