Supreme Court rules Child rapists can't be executed

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 john_doe2
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts

The Supreme Court ruled that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding capital punishment is reserved for murderers.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/25/scotus.child.rape/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Quotes from the story:

Anthony Kennedy -- supported by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer -- wrote that the prohibition against cruel punishment derives its meaning from the "evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society."

You gotta be kidding me? Since when does prohibition of capital punishment mark the progress of a maturing society? Especially something that is as detestable as this ruling?

Justice Samuel Alito wrote the dissent, saying, "The harm that is caused to the victims and to society at large by the worst child rapist is grave." He was supported by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

In his dissent, Alito wrote that the majority ruled against the death penalty "no matter how young the child, no matter how many times the child is raped, no matter how many children the perpetrator rapes, no matter how sadistic the crime, no matter how much physical or psychological trauma is inflicted and no matter how heinous the perpetrator's criminal record may be."

Thumbs up to Justice Samuel Alito.

Death penalty opponents contend, among other things, that it could give attackers a reason to murder their victims. In Wednesday's ruling, Anthony Kennedy agreed, writing, "A state that punishes child rape by death may remove a strong incentive for the rapist not to kill the victim."

But executing them for raping a child would give them strong incentive not to commit the crime in the first place, don't you think? This ruling benefits nobody but child rapists.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
That ****** will get whats coming to him, dont worry. Im hoping someone kills him, its what he deserves.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
The prison population takes care of child rapists. Don't you worry.
Yuppitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Yuppitt
Member since 2008 • 437 Posts

I agree with it.

Most people in prisons take care of people who do that to kids. :)

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
I think that capital punishment should be reserved for child rapists and not Murderers. Child rapists cause a life long misery to the victim and should be put to death for that. Although i guess letting them get raped and brutally beaten in jail for life is also good.
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Austin-
Member since 2008 • 2417 Posts
There is no opinion involved with this issue. It's a simple fact that child molesters need to be hung Saddam-style.
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 deshields538
Member since 2005 • 8699 Posts

The prison population takes care of child rapists. Don't you worry.Jandurin

Indeed.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Murderers...rapists...paedophiles...I think they should all be killed.
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Austin-

Murderers...rapists...paedophiles...I think they should all be killed.luke1889

Quoted for Truth

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Wow Kill someone for that, sure it's bad but come on, I can understand a life for a life, but taking a life for uhhh raping someone, I just don't think we need to go that extreme. Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Yup they're not liked there.. at all. If you're a rapist and you get busted for it, you're practically begging for the death penalty.
And that means I'm satisfied with this decision.
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Austin-

Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.ferrari2001

That doesn't make any sense. It saves us so much money coming straight out of the taxpayers pockets to just execute them. I think it is so unfair to make the taxpayers pay for a child molester to be kept alive.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.-Austin-

That doesn't make any sense. It saves us so much money coming straight out of the taxpayers pockets to just execute them. I think it is so unfair to make the taxpayers pay for a child molester to be kept alive.

Actually, it costs more to execute them, because they go through a lot of appeals process or something like that. But if there were no appeals or any of that stuff, then yeah, I think it would save money.
-Sluggo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Sluggo-
Member since 2008 • 1345 Posts
We should just round them all up and have a good ol' fashioned pedo-hunt.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Bad idea, that's how Freddy Krueger came to be.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I'd get modded and Baker Acted if I stated what should happen to child rapists.
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts

Sometimes I wonder if the Justices of the Supreme Court just sit back and plan out what stupid decision they should make to screw everybody over next time. . . .

Child rapists should be executed.

Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. People who do that stuff don't deserve to get off easy by death. Prison inmates are going to be doing something positive by making those people suffer.
Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

Prison inmates takes care of Pedos where capital punishment wont

-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Austin-
[QUOTE="-Austin-"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.needled24-7

Actually, it costs more to execute them, because they go through a lot of appeals process or something like that. But if there were no appeals or any of that stuff, then yeah, I think it would save money.

Supposedly it costs like 40 k to keep someone in prison for year so a 25 year sentance would cost around a million bucks.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

Neither should be executed. And no, I'm not trying to appeal to the "sanctitiy of life". No government should have the power to systematically kill its own citizens, no matter what they've done; or, as is the case with wrongful convictions and false confessions, what they haven't done.

Also, prison should not be a place where people are sent to be raped and killed, not only for the above reasons, but because small-time "criminals" like pot-smokers and cable thieves are often thrown in with the worst of the worst, and its not the severity of the crime you commited (or didn't commit) that determines whether you'll be brutalized; its a matter of physical prowess, how much protection your "faction" affords you, and your placement in the criminal foodchain.

"Eye for any eye" is a warped enough model for a legal justice as it is, but few realize that in this context it also constitutes "might makes right".

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Oriental_Jams
Member since 2008 • 1610 Posts
I'm a little opinionless on execution as a punishment for crime. It's just that I think it would be more of a punishment to live one's life stuck in a cell.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="-Austin-"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.needled24-7

I still like my idea of execution upon conviction. :P

Give the judge a revolver. Problem solved. :lol:

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

I don't think anyone has the right to kill another person. Even the latter person has killed someone. So, I agree with the ruling.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Boba_Fett_3710
Why can't we have judges like in Judge Dredd? That would make things flow so much smoother.
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Austin-
[QUOTE="needled24-7"][QUOTE="-Austin-"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.luke1889

I still like my idea of execution upon conviction. :P

Give the judge a revolver. Problem solved. :lol:

I like your thinking, I would prefer the guillotine though, or a good hanging.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
It's Stupid.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#29 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
good. no matter what any one does, every one has an irrevocable right to life. but Janduring speaks the truth
big_boss4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 big_boss4life
Member since 2006 • 2633 Posts
A child rapist? how old is he?
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Austin-

good. no matter what any one does, every one has an irrevocable right to life. but Janduring speaks the truth[QUOTE="Jandurin"]The prison population takes care of child rapists. Don't you worry.BuryMe

Why would you think something silly like that?

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
This is probably better ethically for the country.
AndrewSuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AndrewSuh
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts

Capital Punishment is the easy way out. Sitting in a cell for 23 hours a day for the rest of your life is by FAR much worse then dying a painless death. Anyone who's spent any time locked up in a maximum security prison can tell you that.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Plus, i would rather not take the risk of killing an innocent man, so it's cool.
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="needled24-7"][QUOTE="-Austin-"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Throw them in prison, it will be better for them. Plus it saves us some money.-Austin-

Supposedly it costs like 40 k to keep someone in prison for year so a 25 year sentance would cost around a million bucks.

Your reasoning that we should save money when possible is perfectly reasonable, but it does cost significantly more to execute a prisoner (sometimes upwards of 10 million, as opposed to the 28 thousand on average it costs to keep somebody in prison.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42
darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts
life in jail seems like a worse punishment to me, so I'd rather that than the death penalty
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#37 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Why the hell isn't Newt Gingrich telling America that this is the Supreme Court's worst decision (ignoring Dred Scott)?
swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

But executing them for raping a child would give them strong incentive not to commit the crime in the first place, don't you think?john_doe2

Yeah :roll: like that would really stop them.

We are talking about child rapists here. They are not reasonable people.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#39 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Wait......WTF.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
That's pretty messed up.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

The Supreme Court ruled that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding capital punishment is reserved for murderers.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/25/scotus.child.rape/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Quotes from the story:

Anthony Kennedy -- supported by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer -- wrote that the prohibition against cruel punishment derives its meaning from the "evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society."

You gotta be kidding me? Since when does prohibition of capital punishment mark the progress of a maturing society? Especially something that is as detestable as this ruling?

Justice Samuel Alito wrote the dissent, saying, "The harm that is caused to the victims and to society at large by the worst child rapist is grave." He was supported by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

In his dissent, Alito wrote that the majority ruled against the death penalty "no matter how young the child, no matter how many times the child is raped, no matter how many children the perpetrator rapes, no matter how sadistic the crime, no matter how much physical or psychological trauma is inflicted and no matter how heinous the perpetrator's criminal record may be."

Death penalty opponents contend, among other things, that it could give attackers a reason to murder their victims. In Wednesday's ruling, Anthony Kennedy agreed, writing, "A state that punishes child rape by death may remove a strong incentive for the rapist not to kill the victim."

But executing them for raping a child would give them strong incentive not to commit the crime in the first place, don't you think? This ruling benefits nobody but child rapists.

john_doe2

These Supreme Court judges are left-wing idiots.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but don't child rapists get "special" prisons?
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts

Oh noes, I accidentally voted for "I agree"

Do I get anything?

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="john_doe2"]

Quotes from the story:

battlefront23

These Supreme Court judges are left-wing idiots.

actually, the majority are republicans - 5/9
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but don't child rapists get "special" prisons?Dutch_Mix
No, they get federal prison, I believe. I wonder if I would've got modded for quoting Office Space?
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yoshi-lnex
I read through their reasoning, and it does seem sound: this is not an eye for an eye case or a punishment equal to the crime, the punishment is significantly greater than the crime.
buxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 buxboy
Member since 2004 • 6940 Posts
God damn, I really hate ruth bader ginsberg.
AndrewSuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AndrewSuh
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but don't child rapists get "special" prisons?Dutch_Mix
Sex offenders are usually segregated from general population.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Boba_Fett_3710

[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but don't child rapists get "special" prisons?Jandurin
No, they get federal prison, I believe. I wonder if I would've got modded for quoting Office Space?

The mods are on vacation.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts

Why can't we have judges like in Judge Dredd? That would make things flow so much smoother.Boba_Fett_3710

That's one of my all time favorite crappy movies. You know, the kind of movies that are so bad they're good.