Students Told to Call 9-11 Hijackers Freedom Fighters

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Personally I don't see how freedom fighters would want to kill innocent civilians so that throws that name out the window.Rattlesnake_8

Yet America fights for everyone's freedoms.

You really going to make me pull out statistics of casualities in the recent wars?

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] ...you are a dumb f*ck for even trying to make this a valid point. Seriously. Do I think it was a righteous act? Um no. But if someone did, and you were teaching that people do believe such things are justified, then their is no problem what so ever in what you are doing as a teacher. Certain people in the world do in fact believe the terrorists on 9/11 were freedom fighters. There is nothing wrong at all in trying to teach students that there are people who believe such things. God forbid we trying to teach the "other side of the story" no matter how much we personally might disagree with that perspective :roll: Anyone who can't understand that concept is simple minded and quite honestly a moron.

SaintLeonidas

K, we can all agree that an intelligent person can think from both perspectives. But there is always one more righteous to an individual in each culture or frame of mind, as in Lanza's case. Yes, we may teach students of other cultures such as the Aztecs who practiced human sacrifice, but civilized humans today believe that act is savage. Have you ever heard of people who sacrifice other humans as "spiritual fighters" let alone freedom fighters? Do you think people in the future will look back and say "you know, those terrorists were really freedom fighters"?

...with each post I am beginning to believe the actual point of the arguments being made in this thread are well beyond your reach.

"Have you ever heard of people who sacrifice other humans as "spiritual fighters" let alone freedom fighters?" ...yes, there are Islamit's who believe such things. Do you honestly think other Muslims who do believe the US or 'western civilization' are a threat don't think they were freedom fighters? Do you happen to also live under a rock?

"Do you think people in the future will look back and say "you know, those terrorists were really freedom fighters"?"...again, that is not the point anyone is making. No one is saying they personally believe they are...seriously, not hard to comprehend:

#1 - Certain people do in fact believe those terrorists on 9/11 were 'freedom fighters' dying to preserve their beliefs.

#2 - Other people are teach the fact that is #1.

What part of that are you not getting? Someone saying "Hey...some people think terrorists were freedom fighters" =/= (in any way, shape or form) mean they also believe they were freedom fighters; and it does not mean they think the idea is justified. They are simply stating the fact that OTHERS do

Ok. Again, you can argue, argue and argue. But if you were to pick a side which would you choose?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] K, we can all agree that an intelligent person can think from both perspectives. But there is always one more righteous to an individual in each culture or frame of mind, as in Lanza's case. Yes, we may teach students of other cultures such as the Aztecs who practiced human sacrifice, but civilized humans today believe that act is savage. Have you ever heard of people who sacrifice other humans as "spiritual fighters" let alone freedom fighters? Do you think people in the future will look back and say "you know, those terrorists were really freedom fighters"?lo_Pine

...with each post I am beginning to believe the actual point of the arguments being made in this thread are well beyond your reach.

"Have you ever heard of people who sacrifice other humans as "spiritual fighters" let alone freedom fighters?" ...yes, there are Islamit's who believe such things. Do you honestly think other Muslims who do believe the US or 'western civilization' are a threat don't think they were freedom fighters? Do you happen to also live under a rock?

"Do you think people in the future will look back and say "you know, those terrorists were really freedom fighters"?"...again, that is not the point anyone is making. No one is saying they personally believe they are...seriously, not hard to comprehend:

#1 - Certain people do in fact believe those terrorists on 9/11 were 'freedom fighters' dying to preserve their beliefs.

What part of that are you not getting? Someone saying "Hey...some people think terrorists were freedom fighters" =/= (in any way, shape or form) mean they also believe they were freedom fighters; and it does not mean they think the idea is justified. They are simply stating the fact that OTHERS do

Ok. Again, you can argue, argue and argue. But if you were to pick a side which would you choose?

That literally has nothing to do with this argument. Doesn't matter what side I or anyone chooses, the simple fact is no matter what your personal beliefs may be, there is absolutely nothing wrong in teaching what the other side's personal beliefs are. Living in a state of constant bias is completely nonproductive.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Teaching that there are other perspectives =/= justification.

worlock77

It wasn't the best choice of word. But as far as I know, 'freedom fighters' don't crash planes into buildings, or blow themselves up in an attempt to kill as many people as possible.

Except the 9/11 hijackers didn't attept to kill as many people as possible. If that was their goal they would not have struck so early in the morning when the WTC was relatively empty. No their goal was to cripple the US economy and military.

Well, I wasn't being 100% literal with the whole 'killing as many people as they can' part (apart from suicide bombers, probably). But eh....they choose to intentionally bring death to hundereds of innocent people, they're nothing more than scummy terrorists and murderers to me.

[spoiler] >perspectives [/spoiler]

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

SaintLeonidas

That literally has nothing to do with this argument. Doesn't matter what side I or anyone chooses, the simple fact is no matter what your personal beliefs may be, there is absolutely nothing wrong in teaching what the other side's personal beliefs are. Living in a state of constant bias is completely nonproductive.

No, I agreed previously with the fact that there's nothing wrong with teaching other perspectives. But the question that arises is which is more right?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Nibroc420

Ok. Again, you can argue, argue and argue. But if you were to pick a side which would you choose?lo_Pine

The point is, "Sides" are meaningless in history.

It happened, the people who did it probbably believed they were doing it for good reasons. They believed they were fighting for freedom.
Is it possible other people agree with them, and also think they were fighting for freedom?

It doesn't matter what i think, or what you think.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

It wasn't the best choice of word. But as far as I know, 'freedom fighters' don't crash planes into buildings, or blow themselves up in an attempt to kill as many people as possible.

Celldrax

Except the 9/11 hijackers didn't attept to kill as many people as possible. If that was their goal they would not have struck so early in the morning when the WTC was relatively empty. No their goal was to cripple the US economy and military.

Well, I wasn't being 100% literal with the whole 'killing as many people as they can' part (apart from suicide bombers, probably). But eh....they choose to intentionally bring death to hundereds of innocent people, they're nothing more than scummy terrorists and murderers to me.

And from their perspective the same thing can be said the the United States.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SaintLeonidas

No, I agreed previously with the fact that there's nothing wrong with teaching other perspectives. But the question that arises is which is more right?lo_Pine

That is a moot point. It is simply a matter of perspective that can, and has, been debated for hundreds or even thousands of years. It is practically the basis for every conflict between man. One side will always consider their beliefs to be the "right" beliefs, the least we can do is not let that bias cloud our view of the world and try to at least teach and understand what and why others believe the things they do. A lot more can be solved through understanding than through total bias. 

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Ok. Again, you can argue, argue and argue. But if you were to pick a side which would you choose?Nibroc420

It happened, the people who did it probbably believed they were doing it for good reasons. They believed they were fighting for freedom.
Is it possible other people agree with them, and also think they were fighting for freedom?

It is possible that each fighting side has people agreeing with them, but the question is which is more right?
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
I think it's time to tell the teacher/superintendent a you're not being "fired" you're being offered "new career opportunities at another employer".......
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] No, I agreed previously with the fact that there's nothing wrong with teaching other perspectives. But the question that arises is which is more right?SaintLeonidas

That is a moot point. It is simply a matter of perspective that can, and has, been debated for hundreds or even thousands of years. It is practically the basis for every conflict between man. One side will always consider their beliefs to be the "right" beliefs, the least we can do is not let that bias cloud our view of the world and try to at least teach and understand what and why others believe the things they do. A lot more can be solved through understanding than through total bias. 

Do you believe that after thousands of years of conflict over cultural bias that the nature of man will change, in your lifetime?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 worlock77

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] No, I agreed previously with the fact that there's nothing wrong with teaching other perspectives. But the question that arises is which is more right?lo_Pine

Do you believe that after thousands of years of conflict over cultural bias that the nature of man will change, in your lifetime?

Why do you keep asking questions that are completely irrelevant to the subject?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] No, I agreed previously with the fact that there's nothing wrong with teaching other perspectives. But the question that arises is which is more right?lo_Pine

As long as groups continue to advocate intolerance of other view points, no matter how different from their own they may be, then no I do not see it ending.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lo_Pine

worlock77

What subject are you talking about?
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lo_Pine

SaintLeonidas

As long as groups continue to advocate intolerance of other view points, no matter how different from their own they may be, then no I do not see it ending.

Then I suggest you pick a side.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Do you believe that after thousands of years of conflict over cultural bias that the nature of man will change, in your lifetime?lo_Pine

The one everybody except you has been discussing in this thread.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Do you believe that after thousands of years of conflict over cultural bias that the nature of man will change, in your lifetime?

Right yes, because imagine how much better the world would be if everyone just said "f*ck trying to fight for and support tolerance, I am just going to be a simple minded drone completely blinded by bias! Three cheers for non-progressive thinking!"..grow up.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

The one everybody except you has been discussing in this thread.

...ok, what would that be? Show me some discussions.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] As long as groups continue to advocate intolerance of other view points, no matter how different from their own they may be, then no I do not see it ending.

Right yes, because imagine how much better the world would be if everyone just said "f*ck trying to fight for and support tolerance, I am just going to be a simple minded drone completely blinded by bias! Three cheers for non-progressive thinking!"..grow up.

I never said that was the wrong way to think, but you said that after thousands of years humanity has never thought that way. So what makes you think that it will change now? Additionally, what kind of tolerance are you talking about that hasn't existed before?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 SaintLeonidas

I never thought I'd have a conversation with an inanimate object, but then again I'd never have thought brick walls could use the internet.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lo_Pine

I never thought I'd have a conversation with an inanimate object, but then again I'd never have thought brick walls could use the internet.

SaintLeonidas
We don't know who you're talking to.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

And from their perspective the same thing can be said the the United States.

I know. We're right, they're wrong, and vice versa. And that's probably the only conclusion we can keep returning to...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#73 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You've got to love those far left and far right nutjobs.  Anyone that can justify murder is a special kind of person. 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

lo_Pine

"We"

That's cute

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lo_Pine

wis3boi

"We"

That's cute

Yes. As in anyone who has read this page in this thread.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] We don't know who you're talking to.lo_Pine

"We"

That's cute

adorable

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

"We"

That's cute

wis3boi

adorable

So is your avatar.
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

I'm amazed they have anything this sophisticated in Texas.

What they're essentially teaching kids is objectivity and critical thinking.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Ok. Again, you can argue, argue and argue. But if you were to pick a side which would you choose?lo_Pine

It is possible that each fighting side has people agreeing with them, but the question is which is more right?

There is no "more right" answer.
It's essentially two different cultures, each with slightly different values being more important.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

It's essentially two different cultures, each with slightly different values being more important.

Yes the key word is "slightly" different. Humans have found a way to kill each other over this slightness. Although, death by yourself or a relative is not slight so you choose to believe in whatever they died for. Is what your relative died for more right, or is the principle of the man who killed him is more right? After all, the one who died is obviously the loser in "the fight".
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] It is possible that each fighting side has people agreeing with them, but the question is which is more right?lo_Pine

Yes the key word is "slightly" different. Humans have found a way to kill each other over this slightness. Although, death by yourself or a relative is not slight so you choose to believe in whatever they died for. Is what your relative died for more right, or is the principle of the man who killed him is more right? After all, the one who died is obviously the loser in "the fight".

I like to imagine it as two groups of serious fans. One group watches football 24/7 and views nothing else as a sport. The other, similar, but hockey instead. If you have them both insulting each other, and making each other angry, something's bound to give. Neither is better, it's just preference, and fanboyism. Imagine if System Wars was a bunch of people in a field, and they got as angry as they seem to from their posts. Someone's going to hit someone else.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

they were not freedom fighters, they were a bunch of morons, but i'm still not gonna bend over and believe the official story of 9/11.

DeathCl0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DeathCl0ck
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Do you believe that after thousands of years of conflict over cultural bias that the nature of man will change, in your lifetime?lo_Pine

You are either trolling or you are absolutely beyond the bounds of what the definition of "retarded" encompasses.

Pick one or the other.... Although I would like to believe that you are a mix of both options.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

They were neither "terrorists" nor "freedom fighters".

"CIA recruits" would probably be closer to the mark.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
Teacher should be dismissed. But it's Texas. Strange state.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

They were neither "terrorists" nor "freedom fighters".

"CIA recruits" would probably be closer to the mark.

Stesilaus
No. No it wouldn't.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Click here. 

What is your opinion of this style of "teaching?"

kingkong0124

I don't see anything wrong with exploring a sensitive topic and viewing it from the other side. The best way to understand an enemy (and hopefully kill him) is to play his part so you know how he behaves.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Those @ssholes were not freedom fighters, and YES, the holocaust was genocide.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
eh... it's depends on who's perspective you're teaching from... george washington is a hero here, i britian at the time, he was an insurgent.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 worlock77

Teacher should be dismissed.LJS9502_basic

On what grounds?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Teacher should be dismissed.worlock77

On what grounds?

Telling students not to call terrorism terrorism and genocide genocide. Not what I'd want in a teacher.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Teacher should be dismissed.chessmaster1989

On what grounds?

Telling students not to call terrorism terrorism and genocide genocide. Not what I'd want in a teacher.

Yeah, you're right. Teachers really shouldn't encourage students to think critically or to consider things from outside of their comfort zone. A nation of dullards is what we need.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#95 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

On what grounds?

worlock77

Yeah, you're right. Teachers really shouldn't encourage students to think critically or to consider things from outside of their comfort zone. A nation of dullards is what we need.

It has nothing to do with critical thinking. The Holocaust was genocide, that is a fact. It's important to understand what lead to the Holocaust, but it's stupid not to call it what it is.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol at the comments in the link.

"mer! whatever happened to teaching facts in history class!!! mer!!!"

:lol:

history class... facts.... good one.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

lol at the comments in the link.

"mer! whatever happened to teaching facts in history class!!! mer!!!"

:lol:

history class... facts.... good one.

Riverwolf007
lmao
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Telling students not to call terrorism terrorism and genocide genocide. Not what I'd want in a teacher.chessmaster1989

It has nothing to do with critical thinking. The Holocaust was genocide, that is a fact. It's important to understand what lead to the Holocaust, but it's stupid not to call it what it is.

Is calling it "ethnic cleansing" somehow inaccurate? Seems to me like splitting hairs here.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I'd consider losing the teacher, tbh.

Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

On what grounds?

worlock77

I assume you're one of those people who believes evolution should be taught alongside intelligent design for the sake of "critical thinking". You're either a hypocrite or a f*cking idiot.