Steve Jobs to Obama in 2010: You're a 1-Term President (biography)

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brendanhunt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brendanhunt1
Member since 2008 • 2333 Posts

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/obama-presidency/steve-jobs-obama-2010-youre-1-term-president

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/steve-jobs-biography-obama_n_1022786.html

"You're headed for a one-term presidency," he told Obama at the start of their meeting, insisting that the administration needed to be more business-friendly. As an example, Jobs described the ease with which companies can build factories in China compared to the United States, where "regulations and unnecessary costs" make it difficult for them.

Apple CEO offered to design political ads for President Obama's 2012 campaign despite being highly critical of the administration's policies

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

He does need to do more in order to have another term.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Hmmm... so Obama needs to let companies build and operate sweat shops in this country in order for him to get re-elected?
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

what a coold dead man.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Hmmm... so Obama needs to let companies build and operate sweat shops in this country in order for him to get re-elected?Engrish_Major

Also needs to let them dump toxic waste in rivers and pump as much smog into the atmosphere as they please. I don't know about anyone else but cheap products and corporate profits are more important than the environment.

/sarcasm

I'm all for capitalism...also for policies that allow people and companies to prosper...but there are things that should be regulated. There are negative ramifications to allowing certain kinds of behaviors and ensuring safety in these areas trump profit.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

Hmmm... so Obama needs to let companies build and operate sweat shops in this country in order for him to get re-elected?Engrish_Major
Why must people always go to the extreme. Did anyone endorse inhumane sweat shops?

This whole 'factory thing' reminds me of this story....

Not sure if anyone remembers good ol' Joe Biden back in 2009.... [from article]

Standing in a shuttered General Motors plant in Wilmington, Del., Vice President Biden proclaimed that a half-billion-dollar Department of Energy loan would transform the idled site into a production line for electric cars.

"Folks, we're making a bet," Biden said on Oct. 27, 2009. "We're making a bet on the future, we're making a bet on the American people, we're making a bet on the market, we're making a bet on innovation."

The announcement that the plant would re-open followed a heavy lobbying push by Delaware politicians from both parties, who cited the news as a sign of industry's turnaround.

Of course, the plant never reopened and the company, Fisker, opened up it's factory in Finland. Why is it, that a company that is so involved with the government (financially) STILL can't get a factory going here in the good old U.S. of A?

Article I referenced: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875&page=3

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Engrish_Major
^ Steve Jobs and his company uses inhumane sweat shops to build their products. That's exactly why I brought it up.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

I already loathed Steve Jobs but it gets worser by the week. First that 'I want to destroy the andriod thieves' statement and now this.
Seems the claims about Steve Jobs being extremely immoral were actually true, how long will it take before people realize that Steve Jobs isn't a innovative genious but simply a master in marketing.

He deserves a big round of applause for his sweater and sneakers though, that scored so much point in the general public.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planet_Pluto

^ Steve Jobs and his company uses inhumane sweat shops to build their products. That's exactly why I brought it up.Engrish_Major
Did Jobs propose mimicking the standards used in China? Or are you putting words in the mouth of the deceased.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]^ Steve Jobs and his company uses inhumane sweat shops to build their products. That's exactly why I brought it up.Planet_Pluto

Did Jobs propose mimicking the standards used in China? Or are you putting words in the mouth of the deceased.

Did you read the quote in the first post?
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]^ Steve Jobs and his company uses inhumane sweat shops to build their products. That's exactly why I brought it up.Engrish_Major

Did you read the quote in the first post?

Yeah, he said it's easier in China. He said there is too much regulation here. It would appear that even an administration favorite, like the Fisker company I mentioned, would agree with Jobs.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Engrish_Major

Yeah, he said it's easier in China. He said there is too much regulation here. It would appear that even an administration favorite, like the Fisker company I mentioned, would agree with Jobs.

Planet_Pluto
Of course it's easier to build products there, because people are allowed to work in inhumane conditions. 1) Steve Jobs tells president that it is easier for factories to operate in China 2) His company benefits and profits from sweat shop conditions that are prevalent in China 3) Steve Jobs is endorsing sweat shops in the US It's not that much of a stretch, dude.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Engrish_Major

Of course it's easier to build products there, because people are allowed to work in inhumane conditions. 1) Steve Jobs tells president that it is easier for factories to operate in China 2) His company benefits and profits from sweat shop conditions that are prevalent in China 3) Steve Jobs is endorsing sweat shops in the US It's not that much of a stretch, dude.

Well, if it's that cut-and-dry to you, I guess you'll be fine with a perpetually increasing number of people unemployed here. I guess having no job is better for a person that a job that doesn't pay as much as people think it should.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
pfft,he needs to kill more jobs in order to be re-elected, just look at the OWS people, they love obama becaues he helped give them the time to protest not having a job
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Engrish_Major

Well, if it's that cut-and-dry to you, I guess you'll be fine with a perpetually increasing number of people unemployed here. I guess having no job is better for a person that a job that doesn't pay as much as people think it should.

Planet_Pluto
It's not that it's cut-and-dry. It's just the irony of a man who profits directly from sweat shops telling the president how our factories should be ran was too much for me to ignore. Imagine the conservative headlines if Obama ever muttered "we need to be more like China" in respect to anything, let alone labor and factory conditions.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Planet_Pluto

The issue is since these conditions are allowed in China, and since certain trade agreements were enacted in the last decade, it really does boil down to being so cut and dry. There are improvements to policy in the US that can be made of course, but no matter what we do here it will always be cheaper in China and other countries like it.

We can't compete (cost wise) with a 3rd world (practically) country that allows sweat shop working conditions and practically no environmental/worker protections (at least none that can't be avoided with bribes)...unless of course that is what you propose to bring to the US. Companies will always go the path of least resistance when the profit motive is their primary perogative.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Engrish_Major

It's not that it's cut-and-dry. It's just the irony of a man who profits directly from sweat shops telling the president how our factories should be ran was too much for me to ignore. Imagine the conservative headlines if Obama ever muttered "we need to be more like China" in respect to anything, let alone labor and factory conditions.

General Electric much?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Engrish_Major

General Electric much?

Planet_Pluto
I must have missed one of your anti-green energy threads because I don't know what you're referring to. (I'll probably regret asking this)
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 surrealnumber5
i am so sick of people arguing that wade rates are the only thing that matters when deciding where to build a factory when even the extremely simple pestel analysis has so many more..... PESTEL analysis The six environmental factors of the PESTEL analysis are the following: Political factors Taxation Policy Trade regulations Governmental stability Unemployment Policy etc. Economical factors Inflation rate Growth in spending power Rate of people in a pensionable age etc. Technological factors Technological changes New or improved distribution channels Improved communication and knowledge transfer etc. moral factor Environmental factors Laws on Waste disposal Energy consumption Pollution monitoring etc. Legal factors Unemployment law Health and safety Product safety Advertising regulations Product labelling etc.[5] Ecology affects customer's buying habits. affect the firm production process. Socio-cultural age distribution. education levels. income level. consumerism. diet & nutrition. population growth life expectancies Religion Potential supplies labour supply quantity of labour available. quality of labour available. material suppliers. delivery delay. level of competition to supplers, service provider. special requirement.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

General Electric much?

Engrish_Major

I must have missed one of your anti-green energy threads because I don't know what you're referring to. (I'll probably regret asking this)

I have never said anything against green energy. I just think the way we go about it is so half-@ssed it's beyond comedy.

Regarding General Electric, I was just referencing Obama appointing Immelt to some sort of Jobs Czar type position, shortly before GE sent some MORE jobs overseas. This, amongst all the criticism against GE for paying no taxes. Boo hoo hoo.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Engrish_Major

I have never said anything against green energy. I just think the way we go about it is so half-@ssed it's beyond comedy.

Regarding General Electric, I was just referencing Obama appointing Immelt to some sort of Jobs Czar type position, shortly before GE sent some MORE jobs overseas. This, amongst all the criticism against GE for paying no taxes. Boo hoo hoo.

Planet_Pluto
I don't know what that has to do with this, but okay. That statement by Jobs (who died a rich man in part due to the existence of sweat shops) is by no means an endearing endorsement from the man, especially released this close to his death. Nor is it advice that the president needs to take seriously. It's just a nugget that allows us a small glimpse into his real character.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
It's just a nugget that allows us a small glimpse into his real character.Engrish_Major
haha watch out da mac mafiosos are gonna get'cha
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Engrish_Major

I don't know what that has to do with this, but okay. That statement by Jobs (who died a rich man in part due to the existence of sweat shops) is by no means an endearing endorsement from the man, especially released this close to his death. Nor is it advice that the president needs to take seriously. It's just a nugget that allows us a small glimpse into his real character.

I just included in response to your comment about imagine if a Democrat said something like that. Having the head of GE in an advisory position, pretty much makes him part and parcel of the administration so, in a way, a Democrat has, in fact, said something like that (with actions if not words).

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Engrish_Major

I just included in response to your comment about imagine if a Democrat said something like that. Having the head of GE in an advisory position, pretty much makes him part and parcel of the administration so, in a way, a Democrat has, in fact, said something like that (with actions if not words).

Planet_Pluto
I don't see how that is analogous to him saying "we need to be more like China".
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Planet_Pluto
he said OBAMA not DEMOCRAT
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rastotm

I just remembered the horrible state of the working environment in the Chinese Apple hardware production factories, there are employees dieing as a result.

Just trowing it out there...

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Jandurin
he said OBAMA not DEMOCRAT

Lol... touche
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

Engrish_Major

I don't see how that is analogous to him saying "we need to be more like China".

Perhaps not. I suppose it's more like saying it's good to outsource as many jobs as possible.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 surrealnumber5

oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less food to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 surrealnumber5

I just remembered the horrible state of the working environment in the Chinese Apple hardware production factories, there are employees dieing as a result.

rastotm

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150224/Chinese-Rate-Job-Market-Better-Americans.aspx

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
I have to question the mans credibility with his quote, "you're born alone" and you'll die alone. How many of you were born alone? I know that I personally was birthed from the womb of another person into the hands of doctors, nurses, and eventually family. Steve Jobs, the successful petri dish experiment.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Engrish_Major

oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less food to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!

surrealnumber5
Investment in shrink rays were actually a large part of the ARRA stimulus bill, a part which was actually hailed by economists as being quite successful, so you don't hear about it in the media.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Planet_Pluto

oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!surrealnumber5
Admit it, surreal, you just want to dump pollutions in the drinking wells of orphanages (housing orphans that lost parents due to unsafe working conditions in factories).

My original point in this thread was that people just jump to such extremes. Jobs said (paraphrase) ya gotta loosen up alittle to let business grow and immediately people are saying HE WANTS SWEAT SHOPS IN THE USA!

Your post is only useful if people want to have a reasonable, non-emotional discussion. Good luck.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!Planet_Pluto

Admit it, surreal, you just want to dump pollutions in the drinking wells of orphanages (housing orphans that lost parents due to unsafe working conditions in factories).

My original point in this thread was that people just jump to such extremes. Jobs said (paraphrase) ya gotta loosen up alittle to let business grow and immediately people are saying HE WANTS SWEAT SHOPS IN THE USA!

Your post is only useful if people want to have a reasonable, non-emotional discussion. Good luck.

I think I'm being quite reasonable. I have said before, his words might carry more weight if he was successful in making profits without the use of sweat shops.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!Engrish_Major

I think I'm being quite reasonable. I have said before, his words might carry more weight if he was successful in making profits without the use of sweat shops.

I was referring to Surreal's previous post (the one prior to the one I quoted).

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!Planet_Pluto

Do you honestly think Apple would bring all of its work here if they "loosened up a little" on regulations?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Engrish_Major

I was referring to Surreal's previous post (the one prior to the one I quoted).

Planet_Pluto
It seemed like you were directing that at me (though I wasn't quoted). Jobs could have found a better way at stating what we need to do. Perhaps our factories do have too many regulations, however, stating basically "hey, look how well China's doing with that whole factory thing. We should emulate them some more!" was not the way to get support.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Until minimum wage and safety regulations are eliminated, Apple will not shift manufacturing jobs to America.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planet_Pluto

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!BrianB0422

Do you honestly think Apple would bring all of its work here if they "loosened up a little" on regulations?

I don't have enough knowledge of the inner-workings of Apple to say, but my gut tells me no, they would not. They are already established there and there is a cost involved in any type of move. That being said, for future projects/assembly lines (and for the positive press Apple would receive)? Sure, certainly possible.

More importantly, I wonder how many other companies, beyond Apple, would get things moving here.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

meh.. if jobs knew everything i suppose he'd still be alive...

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="Planet_Pluto"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]oh look, my comment that does not consist of what was said on the 10-o-clock news is not being addressed, maybe i sould have dumbed it down to a party line that is entierly factually false: we don' gone and lost jobes because asians are smaller than 'merkins and take less rood to run, we gots to get dem asains bigger and we need to invest in shrink rays!BrianB0422

there are many factors countries can compete on, the PESTEL analysis, is extremely simple and it has six key areas to compete in, with manycriteriawithin each factor. it is the easisttext book analysis to point to.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts
maybe people should aspire to be more than factory workers... just sayin.. /end elitism.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5
maybe people should aspire to be more than factory workers... just sayin.. /end elitism. comp_atkins
i'd love to be a trust fund baby, but it aint doing anyone any good crying about how it is unfair that i am not.
Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Obama is doomed he went after pot shops when he said he would not, going against things he was elected for, he is a one term president.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

surrealnumber5

I'm assuming you are referring to the part of the survey where they show numbers on improvement of economic conditions?

First of all it's about a improvement of economic conditions where they live, consider the following:
China, who had horrid economic conditions for years shows a improvement in economic conditions thanks to a booming economy. The survey indicates this by asking Chinese wether they feel a improvement in the economic conditions where they live in. Many of them will say, Yes there is a improvement but that does not mean that they are positive about the working circumstances in general. The reverse is true for America.

Furthermore the quality of the survey is below par, the method that the survey used in China consist out of landline telephone and face to face questioning while in America they asked by cellular telephone and landline telephone. The difference between a face to face question and a question through telephone is significant, i'm sure you'll agree.

Aside from that the survey does not account for sociological differences between China and America, which a extremely important factor when measuring things like these.

Simply said, a survey that is intresting to read but poses no value as it is very unreliable.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planet_Pluto

Obama is doomed he went after pot shops when he said he would not, going against things he was elected for, he is a one term president.

Santesyu

In all fairness, EVERY president in my lifetime has said one thing and done another.

I do think that Obama is doomed though. I think that, as always, we'll have Cool-aid drinking R's who would vote against him no matter what. And we'll have Cool-aid drinking D's that would vote for him no matter what. But, as they say, it's going to come down to the independents who don't particularly care that much about every day, party politics.

The question for these people (at least in my theory) is basically, "How is MY life going right now?" For myself, I've managed to stay gainfully employed during this whole mess (actuallymanaged to get a better jobwith better benefits than the one I had at the start of the Great Recession). However, just knowing that my industry has had TONS of lay-offs keeps me from becoming comfortable.Also, despite our household income and our savings, it's almost impossible for us to get a mortgage to purchase our first home.

Then, I think about all of the people out therewho have been unable to find a job in years, and I can't see many of them voting for Obama for a secondterm (despite the fact thatunemployment insurancekeeps getting extended).

Then there isthe fact that even those who are employed have seen big hits to their 401k's, etc.

Too many people without work (or enough work). Too many people losing orlost their homes. Too many people have a bad feeling about where we are.

A lot of the above isn't Obama's fault. That is, not solely his fault. But for the"average person" (whatever that is), the state of the nation is a completemess, and I don't predict people voting for more of the same.

I guess in short, people tend to vote to keep the status quo when they are "fat and happy." Far too few people are "fat and happy" right now. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

rastotm

I'm assuming you are referring to the part of the survey where they show numbers on improvement of economic conditions?

First of all it's about a improvement of economic conditions where they live, consider the following:
China, who had horrid economic conditions for years shows a improvement in economic conditions thanks to a booming economy. The survey indicates this by asking Chinese wether they feel a improvement in the economic conditions where they live in. Many of them will say, Yes there is a improvement but that does not mean that they are positive about the working circumstances in general. The reverse is true for America.

Furthermore the quality of the survey is below par, the method that the survey used in China consist out of landline telephone and face to face questioning while in America they asked by cellular telephone and landline telephone. The difference between a face to face question and a question through telephone is significant, i'm sure you'll agree.

Aside from that the survey does not account for sociological differences between China and America, which a extremely important factor when measuring things like these.

Simply said, a survey that is intresting to read but poses no value as it is very unreliable.

ones state of being is subjective to that person view. what you feel only applies to you, if the chinese are happier and feel better about their lives they are indeed happier and feel better about their lives. it does not matter how you wish to discount their opinions on how they rate their lives, or however you may feel about how americans rate their lives. a happy bumb living in a barrel is better off than a self loathing millionaire.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Renevent42

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] http://www.gallup.com/poll/150224/Chinese-Rate-Job-Market-Better-Americans.aspx

surrealnumber5

ones state of being is subjective to that person view. what you feel only applies to you, if the chinese are happier and feel better about their lives they are indeed happier and feel better about their lives. it does not matter how you wish to discount their opinions on how they rate their lives, or however you may feel about how americans rate their lives. a happy bumb living in a barrel is better off than a self loathing millionaire.

That's true, happiness is subjective to personal view...I think the point is if someone was eeking out an existence and half starving to death for most their life...even a moderate improvement in their life could be perceived as a very happy turn of events. This would hold true even if that improvement was nothing more than slave like wages and a hut to live in.

That's hard to compare against a different person who lives in a first world country, though. Take a person who may be making $20,000 less due to recession. They probably aren't too happy now and are feeling very stressed with mounting bills/ect. However, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you swapped that persons situation with the guy in the mud hut he would be even more unhappy.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] http://www.gallup.com/poll/150224/Chinese-Rate-Job-Market-Better-Americans.aspx

surrealnumber5

Still that survey poses no indications of Chinese being happier, it only states that they are content with the changes that are happening. Furthermore my main point was not about opinions of happyness, it was about the validity of the survey

You are free to believe that survey as I am free to believe that the survey is false, by your logic neither one of us is right untill we personally ask alot of Chinese people. Even if we do this my sociological argument still stands, Chinese people are inclined to keep their emotions to themselves and tend to refrain from complaining in public which is completely opposite to Americans. With surveys like these it's always important to realize that there is a difference between actual feelings and expressed feelings.

So, as I said before, the survey has no value and people still die while producing apple hardware in China. In the meantime the man partially responsible for those deaths tells the American president that starting a bussiniss in China is so much easier, he almost states that we should take China as a example.
IMO a ridicolous comparison.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

Renevent42

That's true, happiness is subjective to personal view...I think the point is if someone was eeking out an existence and half starving to death for most their life...even a moderate improvement in their life could be perceived as a very happy turn of events. This would hold true even if that improvement was nothing more than slave like wages and a hut to live in.

That's hard to compare against a different person who lives in a first world country, though. Take a person who may be making $20,000 less due to recession. They probably aren't too happy now and are feeling very stressed with mounting bills/ect. However, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you swapped that persons situation with the guy in the mud hut he would be even more unhappy.

i would rather not turn this into a politics/policy debate as it may never end and would cover too large a field, but the 20k guy has been priced out of the market and as i have been trying to point out in this thread it is not just because of regulations on employment, it is not just because of regulations on being a business, it is not just because of wage rates, the us has become uncompetitive in all of the six factors that makes up the analysis i have brought up a few times in this thread, even in political stability. bettering your life always feels better than making it worse and that IMO is why we get the results seen.