*SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* Kylo Ren is one of the most interesting Star Wars villains ever.

• 113 results
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#51 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Heirren said:
@Advid-Gamer said:
@mitu123 said:

Agreed, I liked how different he was along with having depth, plus he's more relate able than the Sith Lords of the prequels.

How did he have depth?

There was none. The prequels have incredible depth. So much so that apparently much of them went completely over peoples heads. People have become accustomed to watching braindead cinema. Force Awakens fits in the same genre as Fast and the Furious.

But the prequels are mostly disappointing movies with a few positives here and there!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

@mitu123 said:
@Heirren said:
@Advid-Gamer said:
@mitu123 said:

Agreed, I liked how different he was along with having depth, plus he's more relate able than the Sith Lords of the prequels.

How did he have depth?

There was none. The prequels have incredible depth. So much so that apparently much of them went completely over peoples heads. People have become accustomed to watching braindead cinema. Force Awakens fits in the same genre as Fast and the Furious.

But the prequels are mostly disappointing movies with a few positives here and there!!!

You never answered how he had depth.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#53  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Advid-Gamer said:
@mitu123 said:
@Heirren said:
@Advid-Gamer said:
@mitu123 said:

How did he have depth?

You never answered how he had depth.

Oops, sorry about that. Well, he is a trainee that chooses the dark side since he believes it's the right path(not to just be evil like the others) to complete his goal of taking over for his grandfather to fulfill what he wants done. With that in mind this allows him to think about what the consequences are for his actions when things do or don't go his way. When he gets angry he actually lushes out his anger because he wishes everything goes well or according to plan as he has a rage that needs to be controlled, which also shows a weakness of him that could be explored. It's also a nice touch because you can feel what he goes through even if some of it is evil. Sometimes he even gets subdued by the lightside of the force which means he does care but at the same time still wants to complete his goal of using the dark side as a means to complete his destiny. As I said earlier he's still a trainee as his training hasn't been complete, so it's interesting to see a villain who isn't overpowered and actually vulnerable but still a threat and formidable foe to deal with. Basically he just wants the dark side to be the source of what would get him to where he is today, even if it's technically not the right choice overall. He may not have too much depth, but he has some here and there.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Kylo Ren is a big puss. Also it just hit me, I remember him force stopping a laser beam in mid air and kept it there for awhile at the beginning of the movie. Why couldn't he do the same thing when Chewie shot at him. I can't believe they made the child of strong parents, strong characters like Han and Leia, such a wuss that throws tantrums every time something didn't go his way lol. In the next films, I hope he gets cut in half, vertically.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15597 Posts

I liked his character, but more than anything, I really liked that his development is pretty much the opposite of most standard characterization.

At the start you think he's this mysterious, stoic badass, but the longer the movie goes on, the more you realize he's just an under-trained, emotionally unstable kid, and all of it is a desperate front because he wants to be as cool as other sith.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

@Vaasman said:

I liked his character, but more than anything, I really liked that his development is pretty much the opposite of most standard characterization.

At the start you think he's this mysterious, stoic badass, but the longer the movie goes on, the more you realize he's just an under-trained, emotionally unstable kid, and all of it is a desperate front because he wants to be as cool as other sith.

Thats one way to look at it, I personally I think the masses have changed, most so called men are emo/hipster his character was purposefully made that way to appeal to the current generation.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#57 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Vaasman: Yes, if the goal of the writers was to make him a character many people would not like, they did an excellent job.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Advid-Gamer said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Advid-Gamer said:
@Vatusus said:

Speaking as a NO Star wars fan Kylo Ren was the only interesting thing in the movie for me. He was a badass but kinda of a Vader copycat (wich probably was the whole point)

Your probley a Girls fan, and like the guy who plays Ren. Everyone I know thought Kylo Ren was a pathetic wuss, throwing tantrums destroying rooms with his saber.

I fail to see how that makes him a "wuss." He murdered an entire village for no real reason. He murdered his own father. Yet somehow him destroying a room in anger makes him a wuss? I get that it might be childish, but I still don't see how it makes him a wuss. Please explain that.

The way he acted made him a wuss, his character was just plain bad, but so was Anakin's in the last three as well. Destroying the room with the saber, along with how his character was portrayed, came across as a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.

Either we have different understandings of the word wuss or you just completely dodged my question. Being childish doesn't make you a wuss and that seems to be the only thing you are saying.

As for depth, the only other villain in Star Wars with more depth than Kylo Ren is Vader and only because of the prequels. Other than that all we see are one dimensional "this guys is just bad" characters. At least this guy's got a struggle, a story, and a personality.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#59 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@ShadowsDemon:

I did like that he isn’t fully Sith, (yet) and genuinely seems to be torn between the light and dark sides. The fact that he is so torn and given to mood swings and externalizations of his anger, I thought was well done, compared to Anakin, who they just have killing hordes of random people for seemingly no reason other than “I’m pissed!”

What would really be interesting for Episode VIII would be is if Luke, potentially is able to bring Ren back towards the light side, while Rey is seduced by the dark side of the force.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#60  Edited By battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

@Allicrombie:

One thing Abrams said he retained from Lucas's original vision is the tension within a single person of light and dark, and how easily one becomes evil. You can clearly see Abrams respected and expanded on that with Kylo's character. Like you, I believe Ren will eventually return to the light, but as for Rey turning evil, I'm not sure they could do something that gutsy. It would be interesting for sure, but thus far she has no penchant for darkness. Not really, aside from her maybe finishing Ren off if the planet had not torn. We will see.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@battlefront23 said:

@Allicrombie:

One thing Abrams said he retained from Lucas's original vision is the tension within a single person of light and dark, and how easily one becomes evil. You can clearly see Abrams respected and expanded on that with Kylo's character. Like you, I believe Ren will eventually return to the light, but as for Rey turning evil, I'm not sure they could do something that gutsy. It would be interesting for sure, but thus far she has no penchant for darkness. Not really, aside from her maybe finishing Ren off if the planet had not torn. We will see.

That's a weak justification for "lols we don't know how to decently portray human morality so we'll make characters turn bad to good and good to bad faster than a modelocking pulse".

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Allicrombie

@N30F3N1X: Given the running time of a typical movie, I don't think it's realistic to have characters on screen pondering the philosophies of morality for hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

@N30F3N1X: Given the running time of a typical movie, I don't think it's realistic to have characters on screen pondering the philosophies of morality for hours.

.. Yeah its not like we have award winning movies out there that delve into such things effectively while going through their story or anything..

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Allicrombie

@sSubZerOo: That's kind of like saying, since we have some great neurosurgeons out there, everyone can become a great neurosurgeon, which isn't even close to being true. Just because movies exist with those qualities, doesn't mean that future movies, even if they could be enhanced by such qualities, will happen.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 N30F3N1X

@Allicrombie said:

I didn't say characters would HAVE TO delve into morality and philosophy. I said they shouldn't be portrayed in such a ridiculously binary and arbitrary way.

In the movies the only reason for having light and dark sides is to tell a good guy from a bad guy in the cheapest way it could be done without using the words "good" and "bad". What's the point of having a system like that in place if it can be cheated on a whim?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 N30F3N1X

@Allicrombie said:

@sSubZerOo: That's kind of like saying, since we have some great neurosurgeons out there, everyone can become a great neurosurgeon, which isn't even close to being true. Just because movies exist with those qualities, doesn't mean that future movies, even if they could be enhanced by such qualities, will happen.

And what you are saying is if we can be butchers, why should we bother studying to become neurosurgeons?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 battlefront23

@N30F3N1X:

You do realize it's a two hour movie, right? A lot of times, the story will feel rushed because they have to tell it to you in a fast span of time. But also, I disagree with your point anyway, because it was not a fast transition from good to bad, rather it was all over the place because the character himself is all over the place.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 N30F3N1X

@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

You do realize it's a two hour movie, right? A lot of times, the story will feel rushed because they have to tell it to you in a fast span of time. But also, I disagree with your point anyway, because it was not a fast transition from good to bad, rather it was all over the place because the character himself is all over the place.

I also do realize length had nothing to do with what I said, and I haven't once talked of the story. I was talking about your mention of the "original vision".

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 battlefront23

@N30F3N1X:

How is that weak AT ALL? They literally took the concept from the creator and expanded on in a way which the creator himself could not do in three movies. They outshine the good idea by making it even better than the author of the good idea could. If you wanted another Vader, then yeah, you'll be brutally disappointed. And then again, Rey herself said the most insightful thing about Ren to Ren: that he is afraid he will never measure up to the legacy of his grandfather.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

How is that weak AT ALL? They literally took the concept from the creator and expanded on in a way which the creator himself could not do in three movies. They outshine the good idea by making it even better than the author of the good idea could. If you wanted another Vader, then yeah, you'll be brutally disappointed. And then again, Rey herself said the most insightful thing about Ren to Ren: that he is afraid he will never measure up to the legacy of his grandfather.

........ Wait what? Are people just completely oblivious to the expanded universe of Star Wars? Kylo Ren is basically a watered down version of Revan.. He even looks like him.. Its painful to see people actually think Ren is actually some kind of new and unique character.. He isn't.. Nothing he says, does, is terribly deep or insightful.. And his internal turmoil was incredibly shallow and not very believable what so ever.. Which made matters far worse with the entire forced dialogue between Solo and him.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 battlefront23

@sSubZerOo:

I've loved KOTOR since launch. I am well aware of the similarities, which are actually mainly cosmetic.

How is he not new?

How is not deep or insightful to be riddled with confusion upon having a primarily evil grandfather, a primarily good uncle, and a fairly ambivalent-leaning-good father and so not knowing where to land yourself? It makes A LOT of sense for him to be confused, and, not to mention, we know little to nothing about the backstory of how he ended up upon a darker trajectory in his journey. Whether or not it was believable, is again, totally subjective, as most of the people I've talked to actually found his character quite compelling.

Again, let's just shit on what people and critics like, because that's the cool thing to do.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Allicrombie

@sSubZerOo said:
@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

Are people just completely oblivious to the expanded universe of Star Wars?

Not everyone reads every novel, short story, comic book, and cereal box insert that has anything to do with Star Wars.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By N30F3N1X

@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

Did you even read what I said? Like, AT ALL? My point was precisely that it wasn't a good idea. It's a sh!t idea, because morality simply doesn't work that way.

The only reason Kylo Ren outshines Vader as a villain is because Vader couldn't be any worse as a villain. He's neck deep in a childish representation of a "good/bad" dichotomy and on top of that he's a wimp that can't walk to the bathroom without asking daddy Sidious first. Kylo also suffers from the second problem but at least he (rightfully so) makes a mockery of what the light and dark sides are.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

........ Wait what? Are people just completely oblivious to the expanded universe of Star Wars? Kylo Ren is basically a watered down version of Revan.. He even looks like him.. Its painful to see people actually think Ren is actually some kind of new and unique character.. He isn't.. Nothing he says, does, is terribly deep or insightful.. And his internal turmoil was incredibly shallow and not very believable what so ever.. Which made matters far worse with the entire forced dialogue between Solo and him.

lol Kylo Ren is not a Revan. In the expanded universe (which the new trilogy ignores) he's mirrors Han Solo's son who also turned to the dark side named Jacen. The only similarity to Revan is a stupid mask.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 battlefront23

@N30F3N1X said:
@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

Did you even read what I said? Like, AT ALL? My point was precisely that it wasn't a good idea. It's a sh!t idea, because morality simply doesn't work that way.

The only reason Kylo Ren outshines Vader as a villain is because Vader couldn't be any worse as a villain. He's neck deep in a childish representation of a "good/bad" dichotomy and on top of that he's a wimp that can't walk to the bathroom without asking daddy Sidious first. Kylo also suffers from the second problem but at least he (rightfully so) makes a mockery of what the light and dark sides are.

How does morality work then? Explain it.

Tell me of a good villain then, and explain why he is a good villain. Otherwise, again, let's just shit on what people like because it's the cool thing to do...

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I don't know how you can say Kylo Ren has no depth. He's has more depth than Vader in the Original Trilogy. Darth Vader, while being a badass, is your typical archetype villain: stoic, menacing, represents evil. He didn't show any development until Return of the Jedi when Luke was trying to get him to come back to the light side.

Kylo Ren is SUPPOSED to be a "wimp". I don't know how people complain that Force Awakens is too much like a New Hope, but complain that Ren isn't as cool as Vader. Isn't it a GOOD thing that we have a different angle on a villain?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 N30F3N1X

@battlefront23 said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

How does morality work then? Explain it.

Tell me of a good villain then, and explain why he is a good villain. Otherwise, again, let's just shit on what people like because it's the cool thing to do...

You're the one who's shitting on what people like because it's the cool thing to do here kid. I have stated precisely what I dislike and I haven't "taken a sh!t" on anything else in the entire Star Wars franchise.

"explain it"

If that's how far your understanding of the over two millennia of philosophy we've had goes, it's no wonder you think the ridiculous and whimsical switches from light side to dark side are a good idea. I'm not going to bother explaining anything else about this just like I wouldn't explain bremsstrahlung or molecular orbitals to a guy who doesn't know how sums work.

And as far as good villains go, both Darth Traya and Darth Nihilus are good villains. Reason enough for them to stomp any villain the movies (or BioWare) came up with is that they have purpose in their villainy, as opposed to the "moar power" mantra the aforementioned villains adhered to.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By battlefront23

@N30F3N1X said:

You're the one who's shitting on what people like because it's the cool thing to do here kid.

I've done no such thing. Not once on here have I expressed a dislike for anything aside shitting on what people like, actually.

I have stated precisely what I dislike and I haven't "taken a sh!t" on anything else in the entire Star Wars franchise.

Precisely? You said it's a shit idea because morality doesn't work that way. How is that precise?

"explain it"

If that's how far your understanding of the over two millennia of philosophy we've had goes, it's no wonder you think the ridiculous and whimsical switches from light side to dark side are a good idea. I'm not going to bother explaining anything else about this just like I wouldn't explain bremsstrahlung or molecular orbitals to a guy who doesn't know how sums work.

I never presented my understanding of philosophy, rather I am asking you to explain yours.

And as far as good villains go, both Darth Traya and Darth Nihilus are good villains. Reason enough for them to stomp any villain the movies (or BioWare) came up with is that they have purpose in their villainy, as opposed to the "moar power" mantra the aforementioned villains adhered to.

Yeah, they are good villains, who have probably (at least in Traya's case) hours worth more of dialogue and exposition than Kylo Ren. It is not a fair comparison because a game's storyline can develop WAY more than a two hour film can.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@mitu123 said:
@Heirren said:
@Advid-Gamer said:
@mitu123 said:

How did he have depth?

Perhaps for you. The prequels are stunning pieces of work. The people I've talked to that claim they are bad seem to not even see what is going on with them. Some of the most complex film making ever produced. The amount of care given to Palpatine and Anakin is something that these new ones won't ever reach. The people behind the Force Awakens don't have the knowledge or the balls to do what Lucas did. Most of it went over peoples heads. Every aspect of the prequels serves a purpose.

Blizzard2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Blizzard2188
Member since 2015 • 121 Posts

@transk53 said:

Did anybody else get the impression that Ren had a strange gait. Reminded me of the Vader model motion that was in the Force Unleashed. Also he seemed to weild that Saber really slowly, so not a advanced force weilder as I thought he would have been. Anyway I thought the silliest thing was Ren's Saber. Thought they were supposed to be metaphorically like the Katana, not a whacking great Broadsword.

There's reason's for that. He's an newby, a sith padawan essentially. Also the latest thing to come out is his Lightsaber crystal is cracked, making it unstable, the hilt is designed to exhaust extra energy making it more like a broad sword. He rebelled against Luke early in his training, I personally think Snoke is the actual reason Luke is defeated, not Kylo Ren. Kylo just helped Snoke destroy Luke's academy (that part is purely my thoughts, they could be wrong, but I feel it might be a case, we won't know for sure until the new trilogy is complete)

Blizzard2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Blizzard2188
Member since 2015 • 121 Posts

@battlefront23 said:

@N30F3N1X:

This. It's why you surf the net for theories and expanded depth for characters after seeing the movie. It's part of the fun for me honestly.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58530 Posts

@korvus said:
@magicalclick said:

Hell no, Kylo is just a vadar wanna be rebellious teenager. There is nothing deep about him.

And trust mr, Rey is Revan. She was the one attacked Luke and failed. Not Kylo. Kylo is just a cheap substitute.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's about 4000 years between Revan and Luke...

Revan was born on 3994 BBY and Luke on 19 BBY

Also, Revan was canonically male; it was the Exile (KoTOR 2) who was female. Of course, they can ignore all of that and just rewrite Revan but I don't see that happening.

sadly all of that is no longer canon since Disney bought the rights. The whole expanded universe is obsolete. No Star Wars novels, comics, or lore other than Episodes I-VII, The Clone Wars, and Rebels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#84 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Yep, that's why I said they could just rewrite him but Disney seemed so terrified of displeasing the old fans (they were more concerned with fan service than story) I doubt they'll want to piss off the newer generation of fans by messing with Revan.

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

Word!

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

@blizzard2188 said:
@transk53 said:

Did anybody else get the impression that Ren had a strange gait. Reminded me of the Vader model motion that was in the Force Unleashed. Also he seemed to weild that Saber really slowly, so not a advanced force weilder as I thought he would have been. Anyway I thought the silliest thing was Ren's Saber. Thought they were supposed to be metaphorically like the Katana, not a whacking great Broadsword.

There's reason's for that. He's an newby, a sith padawan essentially. Also the latest thing to come out is his Lightsaber crystal is cracked, making it unstable, the hilt is designed to exhaust extra energy making it more like a broad sword. He rebelled against Luke early in his training, I personally think Snoke is the actual reason Luke is defeated, not Kylo Ren. Kylo just helped Snoke destroy Luke's academy (that part is purely my thoughts, they could be wrong, but I feel it might be a case, we won't know for sure until the new trilogy is complete)

That would make sense. Guess up until Rey, there would be no need to rectify that. Thing is though, surely with a broken crystal, Kylo would have to recitfy that in the following films. It would be like having a racing car on a grid, but with some cylinders down. It would cough and splutter but work, but not at the level required to win. Anyway Snoke seems intriguing to me. Looking forward to finding out where he came from in terms of using the force.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Heirren said:

Perhaps for you. The prequels are stunning pieces of work. The people I've talked to that claim they are bad seem to not even see what is going on with them. Some of the most complex film making ever produced. The amount of care given to Palpatine and Anakin is something that these new ones won't ever reach. The people behind the Force Awakens don't have the knowledge or the balls to do what Lucas did. Most of it went over peoples heads. Every aspect of the prequels serves a purpose.

I can't believe my eyes.... I have NEVER talked to a person who held the prequel trilogy to such a high regard. "The amount of care given to Anakin"? I mean come on man, every time he was on screen it was cringe worthy. The prequels had some of the worst writing and acting I have seen in any movie, not just a Star Wars flick.

“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”

"Do you like sand? I hate sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

ANAKIN - Don't you see, we don't have to run away anymore. I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy.

PADME - I don't believe what I'm hearing... Obi-Wan was right. You've changed.

ANAKIN - I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me.

PADME - I don't know you anymore. Anakin, you're breaking my heart.

The step up in writing in The Force Awakens was pretty obvious early on. Lucas can't write dialog and he sure as hell can't write a love story. I'm glad you enjoyed the prequels as much as you did. But I promise you that you are in the minority here.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@Heirren said:

I can't believe my eyes.... I have NEVER talked to a person who held the prequel trilogy to such a high regard. "The amount of care given to Anakin"? I mean come on man, every time he was on screen it was cringe worthy. The prequels had some of the worst writing and acting I have seen in any movie, not just a Star Wars flick.

"Do you like sand? I hate sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

ANAKIN - Don't you see, we don't have to run away anymore. I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy.

ANAKIN - I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me.

PADME - I don't know you anymore. Anakin, The step up in writing in The Force Awakens was pretty obvious early on. Lucas can't write dialog and he sure as hell can't write a love story. I'm glad you enjoyed the prequels as much as you did. But I promise you that you are in the minority here.

you're breaking my heart.

All of this dialogue has purpose. The acting in Star Wars is not meant to overtake the other elements of the film. Lucas is a masterful director, an art which has been lost amongst glorified dramatic acting, which is a trend further glorified by the Oscars, entertainment shows, and magazines. When people hear the word "director" in this day and age, they think that this person watches the actors and decides whether or not such and such scene was a good take.

Lucas is a filmmaker which pushes the boundaries while retaining the core of what a film is--a picture. The moving picture should be able to tell the story without anything else. That is a good film. With the prequels, Lucas does this. Not only does he do it, but he also uses the musical score, sound effects, editing, stage, and color as characters within the films. You can watch the prequels with no sound or in a different language and things will still make sense because of his close attention to detail.

And Hayden was great as Anakin. Over the course of the trilogy Anakin is given the same speech cadence as Darth Vader. He speaks like Darth Vader. Simple motions become more Darth Vader. The complexity of his turn was missed by the majority. It is a process that starts with episode one, with not only anakin himself, but other characters he comes into contact with--both through script elements and whats visually presented. Qui Gons stature even mimics what Darth Vader might have been had he not been turned. Everything from the hair to his resilience regarding how things work relating to the force and other living beings. By episode 3, Hayden is Vader to a T in terms of dialect and visual stature.

That is only scratching the surface.

The prequels are brilliant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mrbojangles25

@Heirren: you have got to be joking.

They're great characters, but the actors portraying them, and the director leading the actors, were terrible. Which is sad, because both Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman are excellent actors; it takes a lot to make them look bad, either that or a terrible director.

I will always be thankful to Lucas for creating Star Wars, but that's as far as my gratitude goes; the less he has to do with Star Wars, the better the films are. Case in point: Episode V and Episode VII are the best of the seven installments, and he had little to do with the former, and nothing to do with the latter.

Now...with all that said....Star Wars has never really been about the acting. The movies are about an interesting universe, good vs evil and the wonderful grey area in between, cool aliens, and amazing special effects.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#90  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19688 Posts

Kylo Ren reminds me of Zuko, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Heirren said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

PADME - I don't know you anymore. Anakin, The step up in writing in The Force Awakens was pretty obvious early on. Lucas can't write dialog and he sure as hell can't write a love story. I'm glad you enjoyed the prequels as much as you did. But I promise you that you are in the minority here.

you're breaking my heart.

All of this dialogue has purpose. The acting in Star Wars is not meant to overtake the other elements of the film. Lucas is a masterful director, an art which has been lost amongst glorified dramatic acting, which is a trend further glorified by the Oscars, entertainment shows, and magazines. When people hear the word "director" in this day and age, they think that this person watches the actors and decides whether or not such and such scene was a good take.

Lucas is a filmmaker which pushes the boundaries while retaining the core of what a film is--a picture. The moving picture should be able to tell the story without anything else. That is a good film. With the prequels, Lucas does this. Not only does he do it, but he also uses the musical score, sound effects, editing, stage, and color as characters within the films. You can watch the prequels with no sound or in a different language and things will still make sense because of his close attention to detail.

And Hayden was great as Anakin. Over the course of the trilogy Anakin is given the same speech cadence as Darth Vader. He speaks like Darth Vader. Simple motions become more Darth Vader. The complexity of his turn was missed by the majority. It is a process that starts with episode one, with not only anakin himself, but other characters he comes into contact with--both through script elements and whats visually presented. Qui Gons stature even mimics what Darth Vader might have been had he not been turned. Everything from the hair to his resilience regarding how things work relating to the force and other living beings. By episode 3, Hayden is Vader to a T in terms of dialect and visual stature.

That is only scratching the surface.

The prequels are brilliant.

My mind is blown. I don't even know how to respond to this. I mean I have friends that like the prequels, some that don't, but I have NEVER heard anyone call them "brilliant." And you are the first to say Hayden Christensen was great at anything. I understand that you are passionate about George Lucas and you really love the Star Wars prequel trilogy. I think everyone has a movie series they enjoy to this level. I love the Back to the Future Trilogy. The first 2 are probably my favorite movies of all time. I'm also a huge Sylvester Stallone fan and love the Rocky series, Demolition Man, Over the Top, Rambo etc. But I am more than capable of pointing out the films faults and I don't give them any unwarranted praise. You seem to have HUGE fanboy goggles on when you watch the prequel trilogy. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the prequels. I saw all 3 at midnight premiers. I probably saw Episode One 15 times at the theaters. But I was in high school at the time. Now that I'm an adult with more mature taste and a much wider knowledge of movies, I can admit that Episode One is bad. If you take out the Darth Maul fight scenes and the pod race, Episode One is probably un-watchable. But as a movie fan I have no problem sitting down, turning myself back into 16 year old me and enjoy Star Wars Episode One from time to time. But every time that kid talks, Jar Jar is on screen, or Nute Gunray delivers a line I cringe.

Lucas gave us Star Wars. I will forever be thankful for that. But the man nearly ruined Star Wars and Indiana Jones. He is an OK director and a bad writer that hit gold with 2 movie franchises. It happens. Look at the Wachowski's and the Matrix. They struck gold and haven't been able to reproduce the magic again since. I would even say Abrams outdid Lucas at his own creation.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#92 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

What makes Kylo Ren great is his potential. He's the first big screen Star Wars villain who has potential for character development. Vader was vader the whole time until his sudden change of mind at the end of episode VI. Palpatine was always Palpatine. Kylo Ren? He's young, brash, and imperfect. We'll see him grow and change over the course of the next few films. We'll see him make self defining decisions that back his future choices. He has far more potential for depth because of this.

shadow_cse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By shadow_cse
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts

Holy crap, I didn't expect to get so many replies...especially since this was just a repost of a blog post ;).

Obviously I fall into the liking Kylo camp and I can't really add much more than my first post. I apologize for not putting a spoiler tag in the title as I didn't really think it needed one, did anyone really not know Kylo was a villain? Also I don't post a lot so I don't know how to go back and edit it :/ (Nevermind, figured it out)

@Jag85 said:

Kylo Ren reminds me of Zuko, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

This is a pretty good comparison actually, I like it. Although as I said I don't think Kylo will end up getting redeemed. My personal theory is he will end up killing Snoke in the next movie and will end up being the main evil...of course that's based on absolutely nothing ;)

@mrbojangles25 said:
@korvus said:
@magicalclick said:

Hell no, Kylo is just a vadar wanna be rebellious teenager. There is nothing deep about him.

And trust mr, Rey is Revan. She was the one attacked Luke and failed. Not Kylo. Kylo is just a cheap substitute.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's about 4000 years between Revan and Luke...

Revan was born on 3994 BBY and Luke on 19 BBY

Also, Revan was canonically male; it was the Exile (KoTOR 2) who was female. Of course, they can ignore all of that and just rewrite Revan but I don't see that happening.

sadly all of that is no longer canon since Disney bought the rights. The whole expanded universe is obsolete. No Star Wars novels, comics, or lore other than Episodes I-VII, The Clone Wars, and Rebels.

From what I understand the KOTOR stuff is inbetween actually being canon and all the scrapped EU stuff. The reason it is in more of a limbo is because all new Star Wars stuff going forward is supposed to be canon and Star Wars: The Old Republic is still ongoing so it's in a weird spot. Certain things from the old republic era are canon though, for instance Kylo's saber is based on an ancient design that was used during "The Great Scourge of Malachor" (the Scourge was also mentioned in the Clone Wars series). The planet of Malachor was first named in KOTOR 2. Basically don't totally write off the old republic stuff yet.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mrbojangles25

@shadow_cse: omfg you made my day.

If they hold on to TOR material, I will be so happy. There is so much to do with it and, imo, is a far richer setting than found in Episodes I-VII

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 mrbojangles25

@Pikminmaniac: completely agree: Ren is the epitome of what a Sith is; constantly at war with him- or herself and, as a result, at war with the world.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 battlefront23

@mrbojangles25 said:

@shadow_cse: omfg you made my day.

If they hold on to TOR material, I will be so happy. There is so much to do with it and, imo, is a far richer setting than found in Episodes I-VII

There's no sense in them tossing aside TOR or KOTOR stuff. It predates Episode 1. Scrapping post VI stuff makes sense, but just out and slashing the wealth of Star Wars EU that predates the films? It would reduce their profits, if only very marginally, and we know Disney hates any reduction of profit.

But you know what would be really cool? If Disney pressured Bioware (which I know is unlikely and seemingly impossible, but in my nerdy dreams it is feasible) to give us KOTOR III instead of wasting money on TOR. KOTOR > TOR by a million miles.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

No. As has been pointed out ad nauseam he got his butt whipped by two people who had never used a light saber before. Also, vader had his helmet/armor as a life support breathing device and exoskeleton. Ren has his armor helmet because?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:

No. As has been pointed out ad nauseam he got his butt whipped by two people who had never used a light saber before. Also, vader had his helmet/armor as a life support breathing device and exoskeleton. Ren has his armor helmet because?

...to be more like Vader, who he clearly worshiped. Plus it's far cooler looking than without his helm, which has him looking like Severus Snape's son or something. That being said I stand by what I said earlier, Ren is the worst Star Wars villain ever.

shadow_cse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 shadow_cse
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts

@sayyy-gaa: Kylo was not only physically wounded but emotionally wounded from killing his father, he was OBVIOUSLY not at 100%. Also it's pretty obvious that he is basically playing with Finn for most of the fight, after Finn gets a lucky hit Kylo shuts him down right away. Rey is not only very strong with the force but is also very good at fighting with her staff which I'm sure gives her an edge with learning the lightsaber. Finally it seems Kylo wants to turn Rey to his side more than kill her at first. With all that in mind I don't really have an issue. As has already been pointed out he wears the mask to look more intimidating and to be more like his idle.