SPECIAL REPORT: Republicans win FL special election.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

SOURCE

"CLEARWATER BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Republican David Jolly defeated Democrat Alex Sink on Tuesday in a Tampa-area House district where President Barack Obama's health care overhaul got its first test ahead of November's midterm elections and both sides spent millions auditioning national strategies."

What do you think, OT? Is this truly a referendum on Obamacare? Are Dems doomed? Is the world ending? You decide!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Oh man, I was about to post this. We need to get the Special Report theme in here!

Politico: Florida loss big blow to Democrats’ 2014 hopes

National Journal: David Jolly wasn't expected to win Tuesday's special election. But he capitalized on an increasingly favorable political environment for the GOP.

The Hill: Fla. loss a blow to Democrats' 2014 hopes

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Master_Live

The fire has started.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Photoshop level: TEACH ME MASTER

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The Democrats were always going to lose the mid-term election, everyone knows only the most devoted drones vote at those things. If the GOP does not retake the house they are fucked come 2016.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Obamacare will provide a huge boost to republican support come the next elections. The dems should expect to lose seats in both the house and the senate. It looks likely that the republicans could hold both the house and the senate come November. It will be an interesting election that much is sure.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Live

@Aljosa23 said:

If the GOP does not retake the house they are fucked come 2016.

wat?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

wat?

If Republicans put out a field of crazies like the last election and only go after their base there is 0 chance of them beating Hillary or whoever the Democratic candidate is. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Live

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

wat?

If Republicans put out a field of crazies like the last election and only go after their base there is 0 chance of them beating Hillary or whoever the Democratic candidate is. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Oh, you meant the White House. Proper abbreviations go a long way.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

Obamacare will provide a huge boost to republican support come the next elections. The dems should expect to lose seats in both the house and the senate. It looks likely that the republicans could hold both the house and the senate come November. It will be an interesting election that much is sure.

RIP America. Why do people keep voting republican...More of getting nothing done.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Isn't Florida a typically Republican state anyways?

I really just do not find this news surprising especially with how much of an ass-backwards hellhole that state is....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I really just do not find this news surprising especially with how much of an ass-backwards hellhole that state is....

That district went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. So it's considered a purple district.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Aljosa23 said:

The Democrats were always going to lose the mid-term election, everyone knows only the most devoted drones vote at those things. If the GOP does not retake the house they are fucked come 2016.

I don't think there's much question that they're going to retain control of the house. The real key is the senate. If we retake the senate that will bode well for 2016.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@airshocker said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

That district went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. So it's considered a purple district.

I see I see.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

I don't think there's much question that they're going to retain control of the house. The real key is the senate. If we retake the senate that will bode well for 2016.

Yeah, and the technicals bode very well for the Republicans. Barring an absolute implosion, they'll pick up seats this cycle.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#16 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I pray this is the beginning of the end for this ridiculous path to hell the left has led this country down. Time to get all of these bastards out of office and take this country back.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I don't know about the referendum thing, once four million and counting all have something it's rather difficult to tell people they shouldn't have it anymore. Although it is interesting Floridians wouldn't be bit more thankful to have Obamacare given that they can get it for as low as $40 a month there (and lower).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105

@vfibsux said:

I pray this is the beginning of the end for this ridiculous path to hell the left has led this country down. Time to get all of these bastards out of office and take this country back.

I'm with you man, I'm voting for Romney/Ryan this time.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

I'm with you man, I'm voting for Romney/Ryan this time.

......can't tell if serious.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

**** yeah

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@deeliman said:

Photoshop level: TEACH ME MASTER

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Good. Now the Republicans need to take California. I'm not getting my hopes up, however... :cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Thank you for the news @Airshocker, your pic made me giggle

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

lol republicans

lol democrats

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Serraph105

@vfibsux:

lol that's what I think every time I see one of your posts

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux:

lol that's what I think every time I see one of your posts

Actually I am pretty straight forward and in your face with my views, no mistaking if I am serious or not.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Yeah, and the technicals bode very well for the Republicans. Barring an absolute implosion, they'll pick up seats this cycle.

They do? I thought the Republicans were still taking a big hit on the whole shutting down the country thing, not to mention every other Republican candidate these days is sporting Tea Party colors. They may win with that in their base areas, but they're driving off moderates in droves. As for Obamacare, I guess it's still playing to a degree for the right, but the more of it that actually gets put into practice the more people like it. When you ask people about the individual provisions on a separate basis a large majority of people approves of them, it's really just Obamacare as a buzzword that gets negative reactions, and I wonder how long that will play now that people are finding out that they actually like it. Anyway, GS Republicans can keep counting their chickens before the eggs hatch if it makes them feel better.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I really wish I could even consider voting Republican, but their obsession with trying to copy paste the Old Testament of the bible into law disturbs me. I honestly wouldn't mind them trying to write some of the teachings of Jesus into law, but they won't do that because elected Republicans aren't really Christians at all.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Live

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

They do? I thought the Republicans were still taking a big hit on the whole shutting down the country thing, not to mention every other Republican candidate these days is sporting Tea Party colors. They may win with that in their base areas, but they're driving off moderates in droves. As for Obamacare, I guess it's still playing to a degree for the right, but the more of it that actually gets put into practice the more people like it. When you ask people about the individual provisions on a separate basis a large majority of people approves of them, it's really just Obamacare as a buzzword that gets negative reactions, and I wonder how long that will play now that people are finding out that they actually like it. Anyway, GS Republicans can keep counting their chickens before the eggs hatch if it makes them feel better.

Nah, the Republicans shed their losses from the shutdown after the catastrophic roll out, it was that bad. Some parts of Obamacare are actually being put into practice, just not the ones Democrats think will hurt them on the midterms elections. I guess they can delay those parts into eternity.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

democrat response: "this is by no means a referendum on the president"

republican response: "this is absolutely a referendum on the president"

everyone else: "meh"

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I actually know David Jolly an Alex Sink through family and other indirect ties. I haven't been in the area for a couple of months, but this is quite the upset from what I was hearing a while ago. Anyway, no I don't think the Dems are doomed.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Nah, the Republicans shed their losses from the shutdown after the catastrophic roll out, it was that bad. Some parts of Obamacare are actually being put into practice, just not the ones Democrats think will hurt them on the midterms elections. I guess they can delay those parts into eternity.

I can't believe how much of a deal you're making over technical website difficulties, especially ones that have been fixed for a good while now. If you really think that's going to play come election time then I don't know what to tell you.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

hmmmm.

who to vote for?

rich corrupt asshole totally disconnected from the reality of 95% of americans situations or rich corrupt asshole that is totally disconnected from the reality of 95% of american situations?

man, that's a toughie.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Master_Live

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

I can't believe how much of a deal you're making over technical website difficulties, especially ones that have been fixed for a good while now. If you really think that's going to play come election time then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh One, I said the roll out was catastrophic, was, past tense. It has been less crappy since, still the back end of the website (read: the checkout process is a mess). Good thing you ignore the other part of my post, you know, the bit about delaying parts of Obamacare for political gain. But it is what it is.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theone86

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Oh One, I said the roll out was catastrophic, was, past tense. It has been less crappy since, still the back end of the website (read: the checkout process is a mess). Good thing you ignore the other part of my post, you know, the bit about delaying parts of Obamacare for political gain. But it is what it is.

Or maybe they're delaying them because it's still a work in progress and they need to tweak them both as the rollout continues and as they deal with court rulings. Without knowing which specific parts you're referring to I really can't say.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Master_Live

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Or maybe they're delaying them because it's still a work in progress and they need to tweak them both as the rollout continues and as they deal with court rulings. Without knowing which specific parts you're referring to I really can't say.

O-Care mandate again pushed back

New O-Care delay to help midterm Dems

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theone86
@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

O-Care mandate again pushed back

New O-Care delay to help midterm Dems

Right, so there are problems with the legislation and the rollout is delayed in order to fix those problems, and you say it's only for political gain? That's like the dictionary definition of cynical.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Master_Live
Loading Video...

Calm down, Chris. Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@theone86 said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Most people have already forgotten about the shutdown, nevertheless have it in mind come November.

The Democrats have too many vulnerable seats exposed, the Republicans too few, and it's a midterm election which means there will be a lower turnout (and that usually favors the Republicans).

It's a situation that's almost impossible for the Republicans to screw up.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Boba Fett is Democrat.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

This is, unfortunately, politics at work: The candidate that spent more money wins in nearly 90% of cases. Guess who spent more money? Republican groups.

This is hardly an ideological shift.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Serraph105

@Master_Live:

You watch Chris Mathews? Why?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Master_Live
@XaosII said:

This is, unfortunately, politics at work: The candidate that spent more money wins in nearly 90% of cases. Guess who spent more money? Republican groups.

Sink outspent Jolly, but the Republican was able to close the financial gap with the help of outside groups. All told, Democrats held a $5.4 million to $4.5 million spending advantage.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/why-a-republican-wave-in-2014-is-looking-more-likely-now-20140311

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go away.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

@Master_Live said:
@XaosII said:

Sink outspent Jolly, but the Republican was able to close the financial gap with the help of outside groups. All told, Democrats held a $5.4 million to $4.5 million spending advantage.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/why-a-republican-wave-in-2014-is-looking-more-likely-now-20140311

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go away.

Maybe you should take your own advice, or at the very least read: republican groups spent more money. Sink raised more, but outside republican groups spent far more money than democratic groups did:

Both parties bet big on the race. National Republican groups — hoping to exploit a political environment that’s tilting in their favor — combined to spend nearly $5 million, much of it on tying Sink to the unpopular Affordable Care Act and painting her as a steadfast ally of President Barack Obama. Democrats, meanwhile, poured in nearly $4 million, much of it on portraying Jolly as a cold-hearted opponent of entitlement programs and abortion rights.

The spending by the outside groups helped make the race one of the most expensive congressional battles in recent memory.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/david-jolly-alex-sink-florida-special-election-2014-104543.html#ixzz2vu4vDcds

A break down of the cash shows that more money was spent by outside groups than either candidate combined - mostly TV ads - with republicans spending more.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Master_Live

@Serraph105 said:

@Master_Live:

You watch Chris Mathews? Why?

Why not?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

There's no doubt that the clusterfuck that was the Obamacare rollout has given Republicans strength in the midterms, but then again, Repubs claimed that they were destined to take over the Senate for the last two elections, so...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I don't know about the referendum thing, once four million and counting all have something it's rather difficult to tell people they shouldn't have it anymore. Although it is interesting Floridians wouldn't be bit more thankful to have Obamacare given that they can get it for as low as $40 a month there (and lower).

Good point. It'd be interesting to see what the GOP will do about the effects the ACA has had on dependents, pre-existing conditions, lifetime max, and drug coverage gaps in respect to dropping the law.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Well if it's anything like the last time Alex Sink lost an election, Republicans just elected a complete fvcktard to office.