So I was arguing with a conservative today @ school

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Here was his arguements:

• FDR, Woodrow Wilson were one of the worst presidents in history
  • Republicans were responsible for the roaring 20's but NOT for the depression
  • FDR didnt do anything to alleviate the depression
  • We were winning the war in Iraq and Afghanastan until Obama went in office
  • Give tax cuts to the rich so they can make jobs to stimulate the economy
  • Eliminate Social Security and medicare
  • The Democratic presidents started every war the US has been into

I could not reason with him...who believes in this crap? (No offense)

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

I believe that giving tax cuts to the rich might stimulate the economy and make jobs but you can't guarantee how they will spend their money. Spending it though in general will stimulate the economy. The rest of his points I do not agree with

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
:? George W. Bush didn't start the war we were winning until Obama went into office?
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Oh, your first encounter with a conservative?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

We DO need to give tax cuts to the rich. The rest on there not so much.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Oh, your first encounter with a conservative?

Necrifer

Just my first real arguement with one

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Necrifer

Pirate700

There were a couple more that I agreed with but the rest are nowhere near true.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Here was his arguements:

Repubs are now getting blamed for everything. lol

So quitting a war isn't losing? Thats a loss to me. What happens when you quit Call of Duty in the middle of an online match? It counts as a loss, does it not?

True. They provide jobs to people and with less taxes on them, they can employ more people. Don't hate just because they are rich

Can't say anything since my mom's on Social Security. Medicare? Yeah get rid of the Obama reforms...

Nope, thats false...

I could not reason with him...who believes in this crap?

DroidPhysX

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Pirate700

Based on 10 years of evidence.. The tax breaks caused two things for the rich.. The rich got richer.. And the middle class shrank.. This seems to be a complete contradiction of the idea.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Here was his arguements:

So quitting a war isn't losing? Thats a loss to me. What happens when you quit Call of Duty in the middle of an online match? It counts as a loss, does it not?

True. They provide jobs to people and with less taxes on them, they can employ more people. Don't hate just because they are rich

Can't say anything since my mom's on Social Security. Medicare? Yeah get rid of the Obama reforms...

Nope, thats false...

bbkkristian

Medicare existed long before Obama went into office.... why get rid of it? people need that stuff man. If your mom is on SS, I'm sure she has it as well... =/
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

It is sad that blind partisanship exists, which is why you should go to

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

The Democrats did get us into the Civil War, the Mexican-American War, the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, though.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

sSubZerOo

Based on 10 years of evidence.. The tax breaks caused two things for the rich.. The rich got richer.. And the middle class shrank.. This seems to be a complete contradiction of the idea.

There is nothing wrong with the rich getting richer. That's the whole point of a high paying job. Punishing the rich is the solution to anything.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Former_Slacker

Is that post meant to be ironic?

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

sSubZerOo

This, wages have been stagnant since the 1980s and jobs have been shipped overseas. All while the cost of living rises.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Here was his arguements:

Nope, thats false...

bbkkristian

.. Yet the past 10 years jobs have been shrinking not growing.. All when the rich have gained immense wealth.. Clearly your idea does not match with reality.. that the richer the rich are, does not mean jobs are created what so ever.. In fact some of the best times in history economically when the US was growing such as after World War 2.. The Gap between middle class and the elite were extremely small compared to today.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Pirate700
Not really, there are more efficient ways of stimulating the economy. If you want to give tax cuts to anyone, it should be to the middle and lower class, who almost certainly have a higher MPC (I don't have specific data on it which is why I say almost certainly). Business tax cuts would probably work better than upper class tax cuts honestly.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

chessmaster1989

Not really, there are more efficient ways of stimulating the economy. If you want to give tax cuts to anyone, it should be to the middle and lower class, who almost certainly have a higher MPC (I don't have specific data on it which is why I say almost certainly). Business tax cuts would probably work better than upper class tax cuts honestly.

That last part is very true. There is a plan with bipartisan support that would lower corporate taxes while eliminating corporate welfare in the works right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

There is nothing wrong with the rich getting richer. That's the whole point of a high paying job.

What does this have ANYTHING to do with my point? You said you do need to give tax cuts to the rich... I just pointed out that it doesn't matter.. What occured in the past 10 years has shown these things.. Not to mention a increasing government debt.. And yes something is wrong with the rich getting richer, because its destroying the middle class.. THE BACK bone of the UNITED STATES.. In which the US gained its super power.. The countries that are economically weak or unstable are the ones with vast wealth gaps between the poor and rich. ARE WE seeing a pattern here? Could it be that a countries success is built upon a healthy Middle Class?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Necrifer

There were a couple more that I agreed with but the rest are nowhere near true.

Just because people are rich doesn't mean they create jobs or spend a lot of money. We should have nearly non existent tax on business, but still tax the rich appropriately.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

chessmaster1989

I don't mean just to stimulate the economy. I think SOME of the rich are taxed too much. I think we need to add another tax bracket. There is a HUGE difference between someone making six figures and someone making 20mil.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

I don't mean just to stimulate the economy. I think SOME of the rich are taxed too much. I think we need to add another tax bracket. There is a HUGE difference between someone making six figures and someone making 20mil.

I support this completely.

Edit: Although I'd assume most people in the upper class either inherit their wealth or make it off of the stock market. That and the fact that the bonuses and lavish pension plans CEOs receive far outweigh their salaries.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Pirate700

I'm not familiar with specific tax brackets, but I'm all for breaking the tax brackets into smaller intervals.

Also would support eliminating the estate tax and possibly raising the tax rate on high income earners (>$1 million maybe). At the very least we need to raise the exemption level for the estate tax dramatically.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814

Pirate700

And they are in two different tax brackets already.. Your point? :| Regardless of how you would like to spin it.. There is obvious reasons why its good to be rich.. Even with taxes.. Or are you going to argue here its not worth making 10 million a year when you get taxed 50%.. And you should just stick to making 50k a year.. There is always reasons to make more money.. Taxes do not disuade any one from it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Here was his arguements:

Nope, thats false...

sSubZerOo

.. Yet the past 10 years jobs have been shrinking not growing.. All when the rich have gained immense wealth.. Clearly your idea does not match with reality.. that the richer the rich are, does not mean jobs are created what so ever.. In fact some of the best times in history economically when the US was growing such as after World War 2.. The Gap between middle class and the elite were extremely small compared to today.

I think you're confusing the middle class with the top 2% of America's wealthiest. And the last time I checked, places like Walmart and other big companies have layed off people since the beginning of the recession. :roll:
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

bbkkristian

I think you're confusing the middle class with the top 2% of America's wealthiest. And the last time I checked, places like Walmart and other big companies have layed off people since the beginning of the recession. :roll:

You stated that the rich should have lower taxes because they create jobs and employ people, he proved your point wrong. Don't use strawmen please.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Not really, there are more efficient ways of stimulating the economy. If you want to give tax cuts to anyone, it should be to the middle and lower class, who almost certainly have a higher MPC (I don't have specific data on it which is why I say almost certainly). Business tax cuts would probably work better than upper class tax cuts honestly.sSubZerOo

And they are in two different tax brackets already.. Your point? :| Regardless of how you would like to spin it.. There is obvious reasons why its good to be rich.. Even with taxes.. Or are you going to argue here its not worth making 10 million a year when you get taxed 50%.. And you should just stick to making 50k a year.. There is always reasons to make more money.. Taxes do not disuade any one from it.

My only two points are I think the wealthy are taxed too much. Making a lot of money doesn't mean you should be punished for it. Of course they should be taxed more but being taxed 40% when you're making six figures isn't nearly as fair as the same percentage when you're making millions. IMO, there needs to be a "super rich" bracket which there currently isn't. Someone making 300k is taxed the same percentage as someone making 100mil and that isn't right.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Former_Slacker

You stated that the rich should have lower taxes because they create jobs and employ people, he proved your point wrong. Don't use strawmen please.

How did he prove my point wrong? all he did was say that the rich are still rich.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baconbits2004

bbkkristian

Are you hands a bit full at the moment? I was hoping for an explaination as to why you agreed with getting rid of medicare....

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Actually, the give the rich tax breaks kinda makes sense if they're gonna go out and hire more people or start up a business.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

Former_Slacker

But I hate Jon Stewart and don't find him funny :o

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

Baconbits2004

Are you hands a bit full at the moment? I was hoping for an explaination as to why you agreed with getting rid of medicare....

I said "get rid of Obama's reform of medicare" not get rid of it all together
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bbkkristian

Actually, the give the rich tax breaks kinda makes sense if they're gonna go out and hire more people or start up a business.

TSNAKE617
Thank you! :D
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Necrifer

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

testfactor888

But I hate Jon Stewart and don't find him funny :o

A lot of people don't.

I just thought I'd remove his face from my post.:P

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Well the rich tax cut thing was part of "trickle down" economics, which I guess some Republicans could still follow I suppose. The rest of that stuff is pretty delusional though. Never blame a bad economy on one party.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="TSNAKE617"]

bbkkristian

What if they aren't going to go out and hire more people or start up businesses and instead they dive into their swimming pool of gold coins while their three nephews cause mischief?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]I don't mean just to stimulate the economy. I think SOME of the rich are taxed too much. I think we need to add another tax bracket. There is a HUGE difference between someone making six figures and someone making 20mil.

Pirate700

My only two points are I think the wealthy are taxed too much. Making a lot of money doesn't mean you should be punished for it.

A tax is not a punishment.. Its a duty every one does.. For obvious reasons the wealthyw ill pay more.. They hav ehte majority of wealth. To pay a flat tax means the governmetn would never be able to flourish.. FURTHERMORE they got this wealth through the system the US uses.. They owe a debt to society like we all do, and they have benefited from it the most..

Of course they should be taxed more but being taxed 40% when you're making six figures isn't nearly as fair as the same percentage when you're making millions. IMO, there needs to be a "super rich" bracket which there currently isn't. Someone making 300k is taxed the same percentage as someone making 100mil and that isn't right.

I agree.. The super rich are taxed too little..

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Baconbits2004
[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

bbkkristian

I said "get rid of Obama's reform of medicare" not get rid of it all together

He said to get rid of it altogether, and you said yes... then seemed to changed what he said altogether. O.o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814

TSNAKE617

Except it hasn't happened.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

My only two points are I think the wealthy are taxed too much. Making a lot of money doesn't mean you should be punished for it.

A tax is not a punishment.. Its a duty every one does.. For obvious reasons the wealthyw ill pay more.. They hav ehte majority of wealth. To pay a flat tax means the governmetn would never be able to flourish.. FURTHERMORE they got this wealth through the system the US uses.. They owe a debt to society like we all do, and they have benefited from it the most..

Of course they should be taxed more but being taxed 40% when you're making six figures isn't nearly as fair as the same percentage when you're making millions. IMO, there needs to be a "super rich" bracket which there currently isn't. Someone making 300k is taxed the same percentage as someone making 100mil and that isn't right.

I disagree. I think they are taxed too much or at least the high end of fair. Either way, I think six-figure earners deserve a slight tax break.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
He forgot to add that Reagan won the cold war, but i'll give him points for effort.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sajo7

Someone making 300k is taxed the same percentage as someone making 100mil and that isn't right.

Pirate700

Well there is something we can agree on. :D Actually I'm surprised such a thing hasn't been implemented., it doesn't sound particularly partisan.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Baconbits2004"] My bad.
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="TSNAKE617"]

guynamedbilly

What if they aren't going to go out and hire more people or start up businesses and instead they dive into their swimming pool of gold coins while their three nephews cause mischief?

Do you think every rich person is greedy? Plus its a win win situation, it gives the employer more production and allows better care of their business. And on the win side, helping the unemployment problem
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sajo7
He forgot to add that Reagan won the cold war, but i'll give him points for effort.fidosim
Heh, I thought it was the Pope. Everyone knows that only won person can win a 50 year idealogical war.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]My only two points are I think the wealthy are taxed too much. Making a lot of money doesn't mean you should be punished for it.

Pirate700

I disagree. I think they are taxed too much or at least the high end of fair. Either way, I think six-figure earners deserve a slight tax break.

If the taxes were too much.. We would see the elite struggling.. But they are not.. They are in fact getting richer.. And the Middle class and poor are getting poorer.. If they were getting taxed so much, we wouldn't be this..

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

If the taxes were too much.. We would see the elite struggling.. But they are not.. They are in fact getting richer.. And the Middle class and poor are getting poorer.. If they were getting taxed so much, we wouldn't be this..

I don't think a class has to struggle before a tax is deemed too high but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="fidosim"]He forgot to add that Reagan won the cold war, but i'll give him points for effort.Sajo7
Heh, I thought it was the Pope. Everyone knows that only won person can win a 50 year idealogical war.

The Pope did help quite a bit, actually. :P
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts
Hey, FDR was our BEST president :evil:
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sajo7
[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="fidosim"]He forgot to add that Reagan won the cold war, but i'll give him points for effort.fidosim

The Pope did help quite a bit, actually. :P

And Gorbache--wait, NO! We have to choose. There can be only one!