Skateboarding vs Snowboarding vs Surfing, which is the most difficult?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jt222_us (1858 posts) -

I give respect to all three disciplines and don't think one is better than the other when you look at them overall. However, when you look at each of them I think that:

A. Skateboarding requires more precision and more technical skills than snowboarding or surfing. Flipping and twisting a board that's not attached to your feet takes a lot of practice.

B. Snowboarding requires more guts. Anyone can learn to snowboard, but to throw yourself off a fifty foot cliff or a huge table top kicker jump requires some part of your brain to be different than the norm, and now doing that off a cliff or jump is the NORM for decent snowboarders.

C. Surfing requires strength and patience. Surfers have to earn their waves and don't get a free ride to the top, but once they're riding that wave, there's only so much they can do for 20 seconds, if they're even lucky to get that much time.

Which do you think is the most difficult among the three? Remember, all three of those disciplines, regardless of opinion, deserve respect unto their own.

#2 Posted by needled24-7 (15900 posts) -
I think snowboarding is more badass and surfing is probably more fun, but I think skate boarding is the hardest.
#3 Posted by GiygasFanima (1333 posts) -

Unicycling. I just can't see how some people can ride that thing everywhere they go.

Longest I rode was about 2 minutes.

#4 Posted by Drizzt13 (1676 posts) -
Don't know about stakeboarding, since I haven't tried it, but in my opinion Surfing is probably the most difficult. However Snowboarding is more awesome.
#5 Posted by steppinrazor88 (14441 posts) -
I've only had success at skateboading....never tried surfing or snowboarding...so I can't really say....
#6 Posted by Ryeferd (5198 posts) -

Ive tried all three. I used to skate all the time before hurting my ankles one too many times. I go surfing every chance I get, though we don't have the best waves here in Florida. As for snowboarding, I've only tried it once while in North Carolina in Feb. 2006.

I think skateboarding is the most difficult of the three. Snowboarding came pretty easily to me. I was feeling pretty comfortable riding down the hill after just a few hours.

#7 Posted by playstation_wii (5271 posts) -

I give respect to all three disciplines and don't think one is better than the other when you look at them overall. However, when you look at each of them I think that:

A. Skateboarding requires more precision and more technical skills than snowboarding or surfing. Flipping and twisting a board that's not attached to your feet takes a lot of practice.

B. Snowboarding requires more guts. Anyone can learn to snowboard, but to throw yourself off a fifty foot cliff or a huge table top kicker jump requires some part of your brain to be different than the norm, and now doing that off a cliff or jump is the NORM for decent snowboarders.

C. Surfing requires strength and patience. Surfers have to earn their waves and don't get a free ride to the top, but once they're riding that wave, there's only so much they can do for 20 seconds, if they're even lucky to get that much time.

Which do you think is the most difficult among the three? Remember, all three of those disciplines, regardless of opinion, deserve respect unto their own.

jt222_us
surfing is harder because of the sharks
#8 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -
Snowboarding FTW. i love snowboarding. its hella fun! they are all badass sports. they all take guts to play
#9 Posted by mi6ops (592 posts) -
Hmmmm lets see what mr. wizard says " not good at surfing? ,fall into water ;not bad" ......"not good at snowboarding? , fall into nice cold snow"......not bad "not good at skateboarding? , fall into cement or head into brick wall" boy thats a tuffy , meh I going with snowboarding FTW :)
#10 Posted by PapaGlide (994 posts) -
the chances of you dying doin ayone of those are all equal. I tried surfing and it took 7 hours to ride my first wave. The best 7 seconands of my life. Other than losing my virginity. It was awesome
#11 Posted by clh_05 (441 posts) -
Skateboarding is the hardest, snowboarding is the funnest. I just perfected my switch 360 flip. Yeah...been working on that for months.
#12 Posted by steppinrazor88 (14441 posts) -

Skateboarding is the hardest, snowboarding is the funnest. I just perfected my switch 360 flip. Yeah...been working on that for months.clh_05

Doesn't it feel great when it finally comes together?? :)

#13 Posted by schoeffmaster (10674 posts) -

Unicycling. I just can't see how some people can ride that thing everywhere they go.

Longest I rode was about 2 minutes.

GiygasFanima
my dad can ride six miles on that thing....and its easy for him to do it too :o. Of course he has riden it for about thirty years...
#14 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

Skateboarding is the most difficult and snowboard is the easiest. I found snowboarding to be boring. Plus it's expensive. Surfing falls inbetween.

But then you grow up and don't have any time to do any of if. Not unless a tennis shoe company or equipment company pays you to do it. But that's only if you're good enough to make kids idolize you and buy the cloths & shoes you wear. And buy the equipment you use.

#15 Posted by monkey2go (3760 posts) -
ive done snowboarding and skateboarding..i can say that skateboarding is harder...snowboarding does require guts
#16 Posted by stormtrooper32 (2235 posts) -
I used to skateboard, prolly about 3 years. I think skating is the hardest. I have been snowboarding for 6 years and that can be easy if you make it easy. But if you actually go off cliffs and huge jumps and such it can get pretty hard. For surfing I have never tryed it but it looks pretty difficult.
#17 Posted by trav_have (5566 posts) -
I love snowboarding, and I quit skateboarding arond 5 years ago. Never been surfing. I think snowboarding is the hardest to learn though...u need to take a big pounding to your bottom( not in a sexual way ), in order to learn and master it.
#18 Posted by Rekunta (8275 posts) -

I used to surf quite a bit, and I can tell you you better have good shoulder and neck muscle strength. It's an awkward position to consistently have your back arched like that with your head held up while paddling, not to mention on an unstable board for hours on end. Surfing takes a while to get into, but once you're proficient at it, know how to read the currents, riptides,and instinctively get to know the perfect spots to be at to get the best rides possible, it's like no other. Reefs can really suck though, as can Vana (sea urchins).

Anotherthing that kinda sucks about surfing is that depending on where you go, the other riders may become very agro if it's apparent you don't know what you're doing. Of course, some beaches are known for beginner spots, but if you rent a board as a novice and head out into someplace you shouldn't be or aren't skilled enough for, other surfers are going to let you know very quickly.

As for skateboarding: really, this has got to be the most difficult of the three, with the greatest repercussions for mistakes. How many bones has Tony Hawk broke? Must be dozens. Watching them flip the board like that is almost unbelievable. A really great skateboarder is awe-inspiring, IMO.

Snowboarding: haven't tried it, but want to. Looks cool though.

Yes.....I'd have to say skateboarding looks the most difficult, but as for personal preference and fun factor, it's surfing all the way.

#19 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

If you can skateboard wellyou can snowboard. It's much easier. You don't have to worry about the board when you 360 or 540 so it makes executing them much easier since you don't need to pay attention to the board. But snowboarding can be real sippery if you lean a little too far one way or the other. Atleast you don't fall on concrete. I take take the concrete anymore. My guess is when you're a kid you're bones are soft so it doesn't really hurt when you fall on the pavement.

#20 Posted by michomcgarrh (1 posts) -
Well, I think when you're younger, you don't have as far to fall either...lol. I'm just starting to get into skateboarding and snowboarding and have wanted to learn to surf since I was 12 (almost 15 years since then, and still haven't had the chance to try it). My reasoning was that skateboarding looks SO awesome and fun and challenging, but I agree that I would rather fall in the snow than on the pavement. I'm still trying to work up the courage to just leap into skateboarding...even though the board has been in my house for about 4 years now...lol. I know I'm a pansy/coward, but I am excited for snow season to start so I can at least start with the snowboarding.
#21 Posted by chaplainDMK (6649 posts) -

Skating, god that hurts. Thank god i stoped doing it when i did :D

#22 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Snowboarding out of those but i prefer skiing
#23 Posted by metalpower08 (1254 posts) -

out of all those surfing is definately the hardest.

#24 Posted by avatar_genius (8056 posts) -

I think snowboarding is more badass and surfing is probably more fun, but I think skate boarding is the hardest.needled24-7

Really?

Not taking "awesomeness" into account, only difficulty, I've never tried surfing, but between skateboarding and snowboarding, I thought skateboarding was way easier considering you weren't connected to your board.

Snowboarding was pretty difficult, I thought. I'd like to try surfing, but probably won't for a while considering there are no oceans in North Dakota.

#25 Posted by avatar_genius (8056 posts) -

Snowboarding out of those but i prefer skiingmarkop2003

Skiing is so much fun, I love it.

#26 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
I would say surfing... asphalt you would be skateboarding on is fixed... the ocean's surface however....
#27 Posted by Arctic_Grillz (2749 posts) -
I would say surfing... asphalt you would be skateboarding on is fixed... the ocean's surface however.... raven_squad
Dont forget the sharks...
#28 Posted by MiddMann93 (44 posts) -

This all Depends on how big your going Snowboarding is by far my best, Skating sorta here and there but the most technical stuff is beyond me and surfing barely at all cuz East Coast is very surfing deprived, but on a Pro scale the Big wave surfers who ride 25 30 footers out of a rope tow deffinately deserve my greatest respect over the biggest air anyone gets on a skateboard and a snowboard not sayin ppl like Danny Way and Terje Hakonsen arent nuts bc they deffinately are too

#29 Posted by Ted_Jos (1 posts) -
Excellent Stuff about Snow Boarding and skate boarding. I am crazy about snowboarding. I learnt it through http://www.snowboard101.com/
#30 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -
I'll tell you right now that not anyone can snowboard. It probably requires the most determination to get the hang of,
#31 Posted by swaggafied (391 posts) -
Hmmm I would rank em from hardest to least, 1. Surfing 2. Skateboarding and Snowboarding This is however in terms of just the basics... So snowboarding just going down a hill and skateboarding is just pushing a board so I rank them equalish but I give snowboarding the "harderish" advantage.
#32 Posted by XD4NTESINF3RNOX (7438 posts) -
I used to snowboard a lot when i lived in Durango colorado and loved it but now im in Alabama and i cant skate or surf :( so I choose those two
#33 Posted by Code-Llama (731 posts) -
I've been skateboarding for about 12 years, surfed for 3 and I can say that skating is harder.. I never tried snowboard so meh.
#34 Posted by taylor888 (2232 posts) -

You should have asked which one would be the hardest to get good at. Mostly everyone could ride around on a skateboard without doing any kickflips or anything, but when you try to do trics aswell it gets WAY harder. Ive got no idea how hard surfing is but it seems really difficult. I tried Snowboarding for 10 mins before, i ride left foot forward. It was simple to turn left but i couldn't turn right, so i quit.

#35 Posted by btaylor2404 (11353 posts) -
Having tried/done all 3, I'll rank them from easiest to hardest: Skiing, not very hard to learn, and it's much like riding a bike. I went 10 years between ski trips and had no problem remembering what to do within an hour. Snowboarding, much harder than skiing, but even when you bust your tail your still on snow. Skateboarding, hardest of all, while just riding straight on one is easy, anything else is difficult, takes a ton of practice, and when you fall, it's usually on concrete.
#36 Posted by CosmicZombie (1585 posts) -

Skateboarding is the hardest by far.

#37 Posted by tofu-lion91 (13481 posts) -
I skateboard & snowboard and I reckon skateboarding is the most difficult. Always wanted to learn to surf :)
#38 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Surfing seems like the hardest. Any one could get on a snowboard or skateboard and move straight in like 5 min. Not so with surfing.

Though skateboarders have the abnormal ability to attract painful accidents.

#39 Posted by cheesyjon (45844 posts) -

I'd say surfing, cuz I can't do it worth diddly squat! :P

#40 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -
i'd say skateboarding is the hardest in that the injury from falling is usually more severe... hitting pavement tends to be worse than hitting snow or water.
#41 Posted by cheesyjon (45844 posts) -

i'd say skateboarding is the hardest in that the injury from falling is usually more severe... hitting pavement tends to be worse than hitting snow or water.comp_atkins

Oh yeah. That's a good point. It's the hardest hitting.

#42 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

I never tried snowboarding or surfing but skating takes a few guts and practices sense there is a higher chance of you getting injured.

#43 Posted by Androvinus (5796 posts) -
is the hardest. takes loads of practice and it has the most techniques. but snowboarding is a lot scarier and somewhat cooler looking. i think surfing is just a casual thing. but i much prefer skating
#44 Posted by eimaJ22 (12 posts) -

I do all three and surfing is easily the hardest, surfing a wave is like dropping into a moving quarter pipe, plus the ocean is dangerous, I've seen plenty of good surfers get pulled out by lifeguards after a bad bail and ive heard of people getting arms and legs broken in shore dumps.

Skateboarding has a steep learning curve but most people can learn to do basic tricks such as ollies and kickflips and anyone can ride one around.

Same goes with snowboarding, surfing for me took a much longer time to learn, you only have a two second window to get it right on a wave.

#45 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -
Skateboarding is really easy, I got used to it in 5 minutes when I friend taught me and I tried some tricks. Its really easy, but off course I didn't do the real hard one.
#46 Posted by ethanpaige (13099 posts) -

Skateboarding is probably the most difficult and hard hitting once you get into the more advanced, riskier areas. My non-existant tailbone can atest to that. I miss him. :(

#47 Posted by Tessellation (8791 posts) -
Skateboarding in my opinion,i haven't try the other 2 anyways.. and i like more skateboarding because i can do it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5tSv0x8jF0 that's me few years ago ( i don't use that big clothes anymore :P,but i still use little bit more smaller :D),but i don't do stairs much anymore,i skate mostly ledges/curbs,hubbas and handrails.
#48 Posted by yentlequible (2621 posts) -
I skated for over 2 years and got almost nowhere. I could only do like 2 tricks... After about half an hour of snowboarding, I could ride without falling down and by the end of the day I was even doing some jumps. I can't speak for surfing though since I have never gone.
#49 Posted by RearNakedChoke (1699 posts) -

Purely in terms of learning how to stand up on the board, surfing.

#50 Posted by Acemaster27 (4482 posts) -

Skating, because concrete is much more painful that snow or water. (Yes, I know that snow is water)