Should the USA go North/South and split the country in half?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

For the past two decades, it seems the voters of the USA have gone almost 50% in their views of American policies and general beliefs. Most elections are close. Most states vote one way. And nobody ever seems to change their minds on issues.

The House and Senate and even the Supreme Court are divided politically. Nobody seems to share common ground. It's party vs. party. Nothing ever gets done. One side gets blocked by the other side and the only way to get something through is to stack the deck with like-minded politicians and hope they keep their seats long enough for you to get a bill passed.

So why are we wasting our time with all this bickering?

Why not draw a line straight across the middle of the country - North and South. Create a President, a congress and a supreme court for BOTH halves.

Maybe use a rough re-drawing of the Mason-Dixon line.

Let all the Conservatives go South and the Liberals go North, just as it was during the Civil War - just as it was during the Colonial Era. Each half get's to rewrite the constitution to whatever they want and nobody from the other half has any say whatsoever in the doctrines. If you believe one way or the other, you simply pack up and move to the appropriate territory.

Why do we need one whole country of division? Why not divide the country in two and create two, individual countries.

Would this not make everyone happy?

Obama/Biden would lead the North, Palin/McCain would lead the South. Separate laws, separate economies, separate taxes - basically two different countries with two different constitutions. People could freely move, workand trade between each country, they just couldn't dictate the other country's laws.

You love toting your assault rifles around? Move to Texas!

You want to marry someone of the same gender? Move to Chicago!

(Hawaii and Alaska would be left as independent states, for vacations and tourism purposes. They elect their own Tribal Shaman for their leaders.)

I mean, is this our future anyway?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Nope.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
umm...no...
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

umm...no...Omni-Slash

I agree.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]umm...no...topsemag55

I agree.

I concur
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Netherscourge

Why not?

Because you don't want to move? Or because you like telling other people what to do?

Or both?

Wouldn't splitting everyone up along their political/social/economic/philosophical beliefs solve everything?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
No...no...no...
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

sure..."elitist liberal" North...and "uber-bible belt" South :lol:

jk

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Necrifer

Why not?

Because you don't want to move? Or because you like telling other people what to do?

Or both?

Wouldn't splitting everyone up along their political/social/economic/philosophical beliefs solve everything?

Netherscourge

I think then we would be divided into thousands of regions.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Netherscourge

jk

tocklestein2005

Yea, why not? That's pretty much how the "Red States" and "Blue States" line up right now anyway.

The only thing that changes is how many show up to vote every 4 years...

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

As long as the illegals can get deported to the north.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Yes, they should put a giant duct tape line down the middle.
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tocklestein2005
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

[QUOTE="tocklestein2005"]

jk

Yea, why not? That's pretty much how the "Red States" and "Blue States" line up right now anyway.

Fine by me.

Espada12
ok, but sex offenders and junkies go south.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Why not?

Or both?

Necrifer

Not really. Sure there are different "denominations" of Conservatives and Liberals, but they all filter nicely into two predominant factions.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

It seems Gamespot Doesn't have the *face smacking icon* if Gamespot did... it would be my response.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 testfactor888

jk

Netherscourge

The guy above you who said it would have to be thousands of regions is correct. People don't all fall into the narrow view of Red vs Blue. I believe in people having guns. I believe that gay marriage should be legal. I am not religious at all and am atheist. Where would I fit as I am not liberal but I am not a part of the uber bible belt. Barely anyone fits each mold exactly enough to be able to divide it up the way you are saying
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Tried it once....

Didn't turn out well.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 testfactor888

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Why not?

Or both?

Netherscourge

Not really. Sure there are different "denominations" of Conservatives and Liberals, but they all filter nicely into two predominant factions.

They do not easily filter into 2 factions. Not even close
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
That's a big NO.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Netherscourge

Espada12

What illegals? The Southern Country would enforce an racial profiling law to round up immigrant-looking people and ship them back to Mexico. Nobody up North could block the law. And the South could build a 100 foot wall around their entire country if they wanted to to make border patrol easier.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Espada12

ok, but sex offenders and junkies go south.tocklestein2005

Conservatives aren't against punishing sex offenders, but liberals are against Arizona's law so let's send the problem their way and see how they like it.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Netherscourge

What illegals? The Southern Country would enforce an racial profiling law to round up immigrant-looking people and ship them back to Mexico. Nobody up North could block the law. And the South could build a 100 foot wall around their entire country if they wanted to to make border patrol easier.

I know, but instead of shipping them to Mexico we ship them to the North, because liberals hate the Arizona immigrant law without living in the state or seeing the effects that mass illegal immigration has had! So we ship them to all to congregate in one of the liberal states and see what their plan of action is.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Why stop at two?

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

jk

testfactor888

The guy above you who said it would have to be thousands of regions is correct. People don't all fall into the narrow view of Red vs Blue. I believe in people having guns. I believe that gay marriage should be legal. I am not religious at all and am atheist. Where would I fit as I am not liberal but I am not a part of the uber bible belt. Barely anyone fits each mold exactly enough to be able to divide it up the way you are saying

Well if the laws you want changed are never changed, then what's the point of keeping the status quo?

At least in the like-minded country, you have a better chance of getting the majority of your beliefs realized then in a single country with completely divided citizens who never move in any direction.

There's going to be a little give and take, but at least there will be more take then give if you had a choice of countries.

herpderp9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 herpderp9000
Member since 2010 • 1128 Posts
Maybe. We would lose our superpower status for good, though.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Netherscourge

Well if the laws you want changed are never changed, then what's the point of keeping the status quo?

At least in the like-minded country, you have a better chance of getting the majority of your beliefs realized then in a single country with completely divided citizens who never move in any direction.

There's going to be a little give and take, but at least there will be more take then give if you had a choice of countries.

I have some liberal views and some conservative views. I would not be able to have give or take on that simply because one country would be against my liberal side one country would be against my conservative side. Your idea would never work in the real world
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

I know, but instead of shipping them to Mexico we ship them to the North, because liberals hate the Arizona immigrant law without living in the state or seeing the effects that mass illegal immigration has had! So we ship them to all to congregate in one of the liberal states and see what their plan of action is.

So you admit you're just being spiteful. You don't really want a resolution, you want conflict.

That's unhealthy.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
no thanks.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Netherscourge

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

[QUOTE="testfactor888"] The guy above you who said it would have to be thousands of regions is correct. People don't all fall into the narrow view of Red vs Blue. I believe in people having guns. I believe that gay marriage should be legal. I am not religious at all and am atheist. Where would I fit as I am not liberal but I am not a part of the uber bible belt. Barely anyone fits each mold exactly enough to be able to divide it up the way you are sayingtestfactor888

I have some liberal views and some conservative views. I would not be able to have give or take on that simply because one country would be against my liberal side one country would be against my conservative side. Your idea would never work in the real world

Perhaps, but your beliefs will never be realized except as a personal philosophy that you have little control over. The acceptance and/or refusal of your beliefs will remain at the mercy of the current majority and subject to change after every election.

How is that a better choice?

Think about it - if two gay people get married, they risk having their marriage nullified every 4 years, depending on which lawmaking party has the majority.

How can gay married couples enjoy life while constantly being the subject of a political tug-of-war? One year they are married, the next they are not... It's sad.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Espada12

So you admit you're just being spiteful. You don't really want a resolution, you want conflict.

That's unhealthy.

Netherscourge

How is that being spiteful, I mean liberals are soo against it, why not try dealing with the problem first hand?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Necrifer

Oh, and undead are better.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts
No, doing so would result in two failed countries.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Yes the south can be North Mexico and the north can be South Canada.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

I havent heard a single good reason on why a break up is bad. All the reasons against can usually be summed up as not wanting to lose superpower status.

A civil war wouldnt happen. Liberals of today arent not the same as the ones in the 19th century. Do people truly believe liberals would launch a war if a few states wanted to secede because of issues like health care and foreign policy?

Personally I think a country like the US and its political system may be reaching its limits. It's becoming too large and diverse to govern effectively. India is the only other more populous democracy and they have been bogged down in typical democratic paralysis.

States by GDP numbers

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I'm not too big on a North/South split. I'd rather have a split between red and blue counties.

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

Oh I remember this guy.

Fighting the good fight spouting ignorance and discord?

tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tocklestein2005
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

ok, but sex offenders and junkies go south.

Conservatives aren't against punishing sex offenders, but liberals are against Arizona's law so let's send the problem their way and see how they like it.

I'm a liberal and I don't care what Arizona does.
coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
its almost like you forgot what makes the USA the USA? what other place in the world does so many different groups, different views, different religions live in one place in peace? relative peace anyway. lastly, i think if you do TRULY believe in separation by ideology then whats next? by hair color? sex origination? race? if you open a box like that you start something.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Why not?

Or both?

Netherscourge

How bout the fact it will cripple both countries.. They are not autonomous, and depend off each other for countless things.. This is a absurd idea..

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
But I live in Southern California....
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
No wayyyy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814

I havent heard a single good reason on why a break up is bad. All the reasons against can usually be summed up as not wanting to lose superpower status.

A civil war wouldnt happen. Liberals of today arent not the same as the ones in the 19th century. Do people truly believe liberals would launch a war if a few states wanted to secede because of issues like health care and foreign policy?

Personally I think a country like the US and its political system may be reaching its limits. It's becoming too large and diverse to govern effectively. India is the only other more populous democracy and they have been bogged down in typical democratic paralysis.

States by GDP numbers

majwill24

If you think there is more to it then that.. Hey they have GDP of entire natiosnt hey can do it! Then you seirously need to relook at reality.. These states depend off their neighbors for numerous things.. From water, energy to key raw resources.. Furthermore your point is falling apart.. ISRAEL a much smaller nation is having a far more time governing due to all the multiple parties in which far more wrangling then anything we have seen in the US is done..

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 majwill24

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Why not?

Or both?

sSubZerOo

How bout the fact it will cripple both countries.. They are not autonomous, and depend off each other for countless things.. This is a absurd idea..

Depend on what? trade? why would they stop trading with each other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814

Why not?

Or both?

Netherscourge

.. We have a government by the people in which they can govern themselves as well as be properly represented within the national government.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

Why not?

Or both?

majwill24

Depend on what? trade? why would they stop trading with each other.

Its more to it then that, we share energy grids, water systems.. Numerous other things.. The states are not built to be autonomous, nor were they ever built to be ran like their own country.. They would all go into bankrupt trying to rework the cluster **** that would occur within government and organizations due to having to build from the ground up of a system that never existed before then.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

we are already split 50 different ways, with each state being split even more ways. The variety of political beliefs in California alone is astonishing.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
The less politicians can get done the better. We want them endlessly arguing and never getting anything done because their ideas are almost always stupid. If we split and both sides got everything they wanted we'd have 2 of the crappiest countries on the planet.
majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 majwill24

[QUOTE="majwill24"]

States by GDP numbers

sSubZerOo

If you think there is more to it then that.. Hey they have GDP of entire natiosnt hey can do it! Then you seirously need to relook at reality.. These states depend off their neighbors for numerous things.. From water, energy to key raw resources.. Furthermore your point is falling apart.. ISRAEL a much smaller nation is having a far more time governing due to all the multiple parties in which far more wrangling then anything we have seen in the US is done..

I guess I have more confidence in the thinkers to work out an agreeable solution. IF water can be shared with texans and mexico, I'm sure people with a common language and culture for 200+ years can be civil. Resources always go to where its needed. Oil is sold all the time between countries that hate each other

ISrael is under severe external pressures. Place Israel on a island in the gulf or adjacent to the US and the bickering over life and death polices will be reduced

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 testfactor888

yes the southern americans are a laughable bunch and deserve their own country.

HaloReachGOTY

Well this was a well thought out and mature statement. :roll: