Should Supreme Court Justices be appointed for Life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

I understand some of the reasons for the origins of Supreme Court Justices being appointed for life. So that each new President couldn't fill up the court and stack it in his favor, for one example.

However, seeing as life expectencies today are so much different than they were, is it time to rethink the lifetime appointments? Although part of a panel of justices, does a lifetime appointment grant to much power over too long a time to individuals?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i don't think they should be appointed for life, but i don't know of another good way to do it. if you have a vote, i can see people voting them out only so they can get someone in that will help their agenda, regardless of if the person voted out was doing a good job

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Although part of a panel of justices, does a lifetime appointment grant to much power over too long a time to individuals?

Planet_Pluto

You said it yourself - "part of a panel". That's good enough for me to say no, it's not too much power for one individual.

SeventhEntity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SeventhEntity
Member since 2011 • 378 Posts
No. I get the feeling this might backfire heavily
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Only if they are aligned with my political ideology.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'm a bit undecided, but generally SCOTUS justices do step down once they start to develop health problems as it is a stressful full-time job. I think there are deeper problems with the court. The reason for the court and the way it operates in the first place is that they are supposed to rule on issues that are beyond politics and beyond electoral processes. In other words, the rights that they're supposed to protect like the right to assembly should not be open to referrendum by the general public nor infused into political races. I think the biggest problem is that SCOTUS has become subject to politics. First it was bench-stacking mostly in reaction to Roe v. Wade (at least that was the reason given for the creation of the doctrine of bench-stacking), and now the idea that when you're voting for a President you're voting for a SCOTUS justice as well is commonplace as a consequence of stacking. If we want to fix SCOTUS I think what we really need to do is come to terms with the fact that it shouldn't be politicized, that protecting rights is simply that and if someone takes issue with a certain practice such as gay marriage they should exercise their own rights to free speech rather than attacking the rights of others by trying to politicize the court. Of course, a bit more accountability would be nice as well.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planet_Pluto

Only if they are aligned with my political ideology.Engrish_Major
Well, of course :)

Thats kinda the thing though. Lets say over the course of the next 12 to 16 years, several Justices retire (or expire) while a Republican holds the White House. The court could become so slanted to the right and it could take decades before a course correction could be made (feel free to substitute Democrat for Republican in this example).

Also, lets say a right-leaning Justice is contemplating retiring, I can't help but think he/she would wait until there is a Republican President.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Appointed for life is silly. They should be voted on like everything else.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Considering a lot of Congressmen have been in Congress since the 1970s (see Newt Gingrich), I really don't think that making the Supreme Court Justice position electable will make much difference, to be honest.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

No, simply because things change overtime, and past events have shown that the justices aren't always keeping up with the times. I really can't think of a better way to appoint them though. Voting them in would not only be quite a hassle, but that would just make justices focus more on the political side of things as opposed to actually wanting to be a good justice (as it is now with Congress and the Presidency). I would support terms for appointments, but I still can't think of a good way to have justices reseated or selected without one party or the other having an advantage just because they're the one currently in control of the presidency or Congress.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Appointed for life is silly. They should be voted on like everything else.

Wasdie

Upon what grounds would voters be expected to base their decision?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No, I think they should stay appointed for life.

We don't need people who will make decisions solely because they're up for re-election.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

We don't need people who will make decisions solely because they're up for re-election.

airshocker

This, the thought of the public voting for Supreme Court justices is terrifying

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

i don't think they should be appointed for life, but i don't know of another good way to do it. if you have a vote, i can see people voting them out only so they can get someone in that will help their agenda, regardless of if the person voted out was doing a good job

thegerg

Election isn't the only alternative to lifetime appointments, you know.

yeah i know, but i was too lazy to think of others '_'

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planet_Pluto

Just to restate what some others are saying, there are other options to lifetime appointments than general elections.

Although this isn't set in stone, I'm thinking about something along the lines of (maybe) being appointed to, say, a 10 year term. Perhaps after that 10 year term, they can have re-confirmation hearings or something like that.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JML897

Just to restate what some others are saying, there are other options to lifetime appointments than general elections.

Although this isn't set in stone, I'm thinking about something along the lines of (maybe) being appointed to, say, a 10 year term. Perhaps after that 10 year term, they can have re-confirmation hearings or something like that.

Planet_Pluto

That seems reasonable.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendofreak_2

What about Judges from the State Supreme Courts electing (or having some sort of say) in appointments?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Without any doubt. Putting a certain term limit on justices and/or making it a direct election doesn't enhance democracy or our rights. If these restrictions were in the mid to late 20th century, i doubt we would have these landmark rights that were decided by the Warren, Burger and Rhenquist Courts. Let's say there was an arbitrary 15 year term limit put in. That would of given the Nixon administration, in addition to the 4 justices he had already appointed, would of also replaced the court's fiercestprotector of individual rights, William Brennan. Marshall would of been replaced in the middle of Reagan's first term and the appointments of Scalia and attempts to appoint Bork don't exactly enhance people's rights when they're on the bench.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#23 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I think everyone in public office (and that goes for Congress as well) should be limited to a 2 term limit and get put up for vote after 4 years just like the president.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JML897

I think everyone in public office (and that goes for Congress as well) should be limited to a 2 term limit and get put up for vote after 4 years just like the president.

ShadowMoses900

I think a 2-term limit would do wonders for Congress.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DroidPhysX

ShadowMoses900
No. Direct election of judges is what the founding fathers feared since it would pave way for tyranny of the majority.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
i'm the only undecided vote so far. :P
WTFr0b0ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WTFr0b0ts
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

Well seeing as all article III judges (Supreme Court, Circuit Judges, District Judges) are all appointed for life because that's how the constitution is interpreted, its not going to change unless Congress amends it.

Truth is I like that they are for life as it helps the court not be subject to democratic whims and brings a certain stability to constitutional interpretation.

If justices were elected every XX amount of years interpretation would change for re-election and you would have justices campaigning and backed by corporations and what not. Since right now they sit outside of the direct democratic process, it allows the court to interpret the constitution with minimal influence so the can balance the powers and rights of States, Federal Government, and Individuals more easily.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

YES. The re-election process is part of the reason why American Politics is so corrupted.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Life-time for sure too much corruption if they have to be voted into their position.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Could you imagine if supreme court justices was subject to the influence of Citibank, Koch Brothers, The church, etc? They would be bought just like how our congress is bought if they didn't have lifetime appointments.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendofreak_2

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

JML897

We would have a constant influx of people coming into Congress with no experience at how to do the job. They would also know that they don't need to worry about being reelected if they got a second term and could really screw things up for their own benefit. That sounds worse to me.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

nintendofreak_2

We would have a constant influx of people coming into Congress with no experience at how to do the job. They would also know that they don't need to worry about being reelected if they got a second term and could really screw things up for their own benefit. That sounds worse to me.

If there's anything that congress has taught me, it's that experience doesn't matter.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendofreak_2

If there's anything that congress has taught me, it's that experience doesn't matter.DroidPhysX
Sometimes. It wouldn't change the fact that Congress members would know they could pass/suggest whatever they wanted without any sort of backlash from voters though if they knew they weren't going to be up for reelection.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Absolutely.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

well....i can see why they are appointed for life, of the choices ive seen them make they have made the choices which i feel are what are best for america, you cant have the president choose the supreme court members, you cant have the publice choose the members either...so who exactly is left?

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

well....i can see why they are appointed for life, of the choices ive seen them make they have made the choices which i feel are what are best for america, you cant have the president choose the supreme court members, you cant have the publice choose the members either...so who exactly is left?

linkin_guy109

The president does apoint supreme court justices.

Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

Absolutely not. They're appointed many times based on political agendas of the appointers. They should be appointed and approved by Congress, but also only serve for a max of ten years. If they've done well, then they can be reappointed. Being in office for life smells of infinite power within reason. Also, at a certain age, they should be forced to retire.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DroidPhysX

Absolutely not. They're appointed many times based on political agendas of the appointers. They should be appointed and approved by Congress, but also only serve for a max of ten years. If they've done well, then they can be reappointed. Being in office for life smells of infinite power within reason. Also, at a certain age, they should be forced to retire.

Sunfyre7896

>Implying term limits and congressional appointment will lessen political agendas

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
I don't think they should be appointed for life, but they should never be subject to any sort of re-election or performance review. The point of the Supreme Court is to have a panel that has no party affiliation or are swayed by public opinion. As soon as you introduce a re-election or some sort of performance review, the justices are pressured into doing what they believe is popular and not what they believe if right. Elected justices would probably be the dumbest idea I have ever seen suggested. And that's not even considering the fact that the common people have no idea who the justices are. But then on the other hand, I don't think a life appointment is necessarily the best option either. The thing is, you want a country to be constantly moving forward in the world. Depending on who the judges are, that may or may not happen. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if there were 9 conservative justices on the panel, it is highly unlikely that we would see significant social progress on the scale of having 9 liberal judges. But then again, you want to have a mixture of conservatives and liberals to not only represent the population, but to also balance each other out and make sure that wise decisions are made in the best interest of the country as a whole. I do think there needs to be some sort of faster turnover for the judges. Maybe a 10 year term and then they are done. Or 15 years. Something along those lines. But life may be too much IMO.
BoSoxIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BoSoxIdiot
Member since 2012 • 183 Posts
Maybe a 10-12 year term so that a President could not stack the Supreme Court in their favor.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
They should keep their status. Having to worry about political ramification when making a decision, that should be solely based on legal reasoning, would be sub-optimal.