Should I get Vista?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I bought a new laptop this christmas and Im allowed to get a free upgrade to Vista, should i do it?
gameboi_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameboi_92
Member since 2007 • 4613 Posts
I heard you can only rum 3 programs at a time....
Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts
Unless you really want it... you should wait a bit so that any bugs would be ironed out
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I think it is a big resource hog.  I'd give it a little time.
sandlot76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sandlot76
Member since 2005 • 53267 Posts
if you do, buy a new hard drive so that you can switch between OS.  If you're a power laptop user, then VISTA isn't stable enough for you.  If you're a basic user then it will be alright.  We have it and have found many problems with it and are very... "meh" about it right now
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I heard you can only rum 3 programs at a time....gameboi_92

I need a little cartoon double-take smiley.

I don't think that's true...that sounds more like a Windows 3.0 limitation or something equally old.

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
Personally, no. I'm good with XP. It's just been released and as always, nothing's flawless. Wait a little for bugs to be fixed and prices to drop.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#8 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...
iangrima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iangrima
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts
I bought a new laptop this christmas and Im allowed to get a free upgrade to Vista, should i do it?SaintLeonidas
Its free why not...
jamjam17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jamjam17
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think 3 rums is enough for anybody.
Bidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bidiot
Member since 2003 • 609 Posts
Depends: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
IrishPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 IrishPunk
Member since 2003 • 10150 Posts
Yes. Vista is superior to XP, and if you are getting it for free I don't see any reason not to. If any of the programs you use are not compatible yet, tthey will be shortly.

That is only true for the starter edition which is not availible in North America, Europe, or Austrialia.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...SolidSnake35

Alba properly uses Windows like every other normal human being :)

But use XP if you are a gamer, and Vista if you uhhhhm if you want hmm if you want ARRRRR i dont know, dx10? which you not gonna get to use very much for many years because current consoles are dx9 and most pc games gets ported down to those family machines, and better sercurity, well how many people have seriously had that many secuirty problems in xp??? Stability, personally xp never crashes on me, and its the truth if a program screws with me that its quick ctlr-alt-delete and your problem is solved. Better performance then XP, NOPE Vista is a resourse hog.

How many fanboys did i shoot with that post ;)

Bidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bidiot
Member since 2003 • 609 Posts
If you like what you see here then sure go for it http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwn
IrishPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 IrishPunk
Member since 2003 • 10150 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...mimic-Denmark

But use XP if you are a gamer, and Vista if you uhhhhm if you want hmm if you want ARRRRR i dont know, dx10? which you not gonna get to use very much for many years because current consoles are dx9 and most pc games gets ported down to those family machines, and better sercurity, well how many people have seriously had that many secuirty problems in xp??? Stability, personally xp never crashes on me, and its the truth if a program screws with me that its quick ctlr-alt-delete and your problem is solved. Better performance then XP, NOPE Vista is a resourse hog.

Don't listen to this guy.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#17 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
yes.
xXBuffJeffXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xXBuffJeffXx
Member since 2006 • 5913 Posts
Personally, no. I'm good with XP. It's just been released and as always, nothing's flawless. Wait a little for bugs to be fixed and prices to drop.Cyrax-Sektor

That's the way I feel about Vista. I'm probably not going to get it until I buy a new computer in 2-4 years.
Reddragon9288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Reddragon9288
Member since 2005 • 8020 Posts
It's just been released and as always, nothing's flawless. Wait a little for bugs to be fixed and prices to drop.Cyrax-Sektor
I'd have to agree with that, wait for the bugs to be gone. I have XP now and I'm planning on getting Vista soon as well but I'm waiting for the smoke to blow over and for all the mishapes to be fixed before really getting it.
yoporahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 yoporahh
Member since 2007 • 2743 Posts
no
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...IrishPunk

And why not??? I wasnt lying...

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
[QUOTE="IrishPunk"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...mimic-Denmark

You didn't provide any evidence backing it up, you just made random claims. For example "XP runs fine for me", doesn't mean it runs fine for everyone else. Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't solve everything, recently Opera started randomly freezing (due to a duplicate QuickTime plugin, but that's another story) and ctrl+alt+delete did nothing, as it wouldn't load, nor would any other app, and I had to reset my computer.
jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 jm4847
Member since 2006 • 3535 Posts
I bought a new laptop this christmas and Im allowed to get a free upgrade to Vista, should i do it?SaintLeonidas
You just answered your own question. I'm using Vista and it's totally worth it.
You heard lies, ALL LIES!
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I think it is a big resource hog. I'd give it a little time.sonicare
Agreed
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="IrishPunk"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]No. Get Mac OS X. It actually works...EJ902

You didn't provide any evidence backing it up, you just made random claims. For example "XP runs fine for me", doesn't mean it runs fine for everyone else. Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't solve everything, recently Opera started randomly freezing (due to a duplicate QuickTime plugin, but that's another story) and ctrl+alt+delete did nothing, as it wouldn't load, nor would any other app, and I had to reset my computer.

Look on toms hardware site or other hardware review sites, they all confirm that vista takes some fps from you and make your games slower, plus the fact that xp has all the drivers they need is working perfecly with that, so why upgrade to a new OS that hasnt very good drivers yet. And the opera part i cant comment on because i have always used internet explorer and never had a single problem.

If you can handle your computer great and have it updated with the newest drivers then xp wont make any problems.  An OS shoudnt be responsible for your lack of care.

Plus vista has a lot of copyright issues with stuff, and i want all my things to run without any problem.

I dont give a rats ass about vistas new graphics interface, i dont want a shiny OS i want an OS that runs all my things great, and right now XP is still on the front in that department.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
I would, I like the newest stuff. At the moment, I'm still waiting for my Vista rebate.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Look on toms hardware site or other hardware review sites, they all confirm that vista takes some fps from you and make your games slower, plus the fact that xp has all the drivers they need is working perfecly with that, so why upgrade to a new OS that hasnt very good drivers yet. And the opera part i cant comment on because i have always used internet explorer and never had a single problem.

If you can handle your computer great and have it updated with the newest drivers then xp wont make any problems.  An OS shoudnt be responsible for your lack of care.

Plus vista has a lot of copyright issues with stuff, and i want all my things to run without any problem.

I dont give a rats ass about vistas new graphics interface, i dont want a shiny OS i want an OS that runs all my things great, and right now XP is still on the front in that department.

mimic-Denmark
I've heard mixed reports regarding Vista's performance, some say it runs well, some say it runs awfully. I'll just wait and see when I get it (I intend to keep XP, plus I'm not the one paying for it :P). The point I was trying to make initially was your lack of evidence, I wasn't questioning whether you were right or wrong. Now you've suggested some sources there is no problem here. The Opera problem I fixed by uninstalling Quick-Time (should re-install it at some point), I was only using it as an example of ctrl+alt+del is rendered useless at some points.