Should employers be able use your credit history as a reason not to hire you?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mosdef_basic
Member since 2002 • 7619 Posts

Especially considering what's going on now with the economy should a company not hire you and foward you a chance to make an honest living because of your credit score?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Yes. That'll give me a better chance of getting jobs. Also, I feel like your past credit history would be indicative of future reliability.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Somebody in a dire financial situation is probably more likely to steal in jobs that include handling of money. And in jobs such as mine that involve handling sensitive information, someone that needs money is probably more likely to sell such information.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
It seems like a stupid policy.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Yes sir.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem if they did. But I don't see any pertinent information that could be gleaned from it. They would be paying me...what do they care what I do with the money they would be giving me? Are they going to inspect my car to make sure it's reliable enough to get me to work? Check my closets to make sure I have the proper apparel?
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Somebody in a dire financial situation is probably more likely to steal in jobs that include handling of money. And in jobs such as mine that involve handling sensitive information, someone that needs money is probably more likely to sell such information.Engrish_Major
Poor credit rating does not equal poor person.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem if they did. But I don't see any pertinent information that could be gleaned from it. They would be paying me...what do they care what I do with the money they would be giving me? Are they going to inspect my car to make sure it's reliable enough to get me to work? Check my closets to make sure I have the proper apparel?FragStains
Check to make sure you aren't a security risk because you have a debt that needs to be paid soon?
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

It depends, but if all jobs did it? How would someone ever get out of debt?

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
I think that's pretty stupid...unless the job is at a credit agency or something. "Oh, so you've been in a bad financial situation? Well, we don't really like hiring people who badly need the job. Sorry." /facepalm
Epic__Lulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Epic__Lulz
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

It really depends on the job. If it some pizza boy No. Anything to do with Law enforcement then yes

Epic__Lulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Epic__Lulz
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

I think that's pretty stupid...unless the job is at a credit agency or something. "Oh, so you've been in a bad financial situation? Well, we don't really like hiring people who badly need the job. Sorry." /facepalmSpaceMoose

Police often look at credit history. If you are severly in debt they think you are more open to bribes

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Somebody in a dire financial situation is probably more likely to steal in jobs that include handling of money. And in jobs such as mine that involve handling sensitive information, someone that needs money is probably more likely to sell such information.FragStains

That's why it depends on the job. For jobs concerning handling large amounts of money or sensitive information, the company or agency has the right to only hire people that have a stable, clean background (legal or financial).
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
It might be an indicator of how responsible someone is.
shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shyskillz
Member since 2006 • 4197 Posts
i don't like it because itz just another way to keep the struggling on the hardship to no where...
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 duxup

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Somebody in a dire financial situation is probably more likely to steal in jobs that include handling of money. And in jobs such as mine that involve handling sensitive information, someone that needs money is probably more likely to sell such information.FragStains

Even worse it could mean their ID was stolen. Credit scores to not recover from that quickly.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Engrish_Major
Even worse it could mean their ID was stolen. Credit scores to not recover from that quickly.duxup
That's the same thing as someone that was wrongly convicted of a crime. That does not mean that the employer has to hire people that have criminal backgrounds, in case the person might have been wrongly convicted.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

It depends, but if all jobs did it? How would someone ever get out of debt?

TreyoftheDead
they wouldn't :( if that did happen then there would be a lot of people without jobs.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Aw heck yeah

If you can't tend to your own doings then how on Earth can you be expected to do work for someone else?

"Yeah Bob, you can't even pay of a pack of Dentyne on time, lock up the store when you're done"

Sorry, you carry your screw ups through life. No need for the people who can't hack the most basic of adult responsibilities to put an employer at risk

(for the cases like stolen identity all the person should do be able to bring in the paperwork showing what happened)

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"]Even worse it could mean their ID was stolen. Credit scores to not recover from that quickly.Engrish_Major
That's the same thing as someone that was wrongly convicted of a crime. That does not mean that the employer has to hire people that have criminal backgrounds, in case the person might have been wrongly convicted.

As far as I'm concerned credit checks shouldn't be allowed for employment.

Criminal background check sure, not a credit check.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

It might be an indicator of how responsible someone is. Elraptor

it might be, but can't really be looked at that way. i'm 28 and have pretty much no credit, why ? because i know that although i make enough to get by on and a little extra i don't make enough to go get a credit card and know without a doubt that i could keep up with it (what happens when/if i need a car repair and have to use my credit card payment money to repair my car? then i can't make a payment and thats a strike against me) so i think having NO credit can't be terribly misconstrued for job purposes. having bad credit is a different story, my moms gone through 2 bankruptcies and i can honestly say i don't think she's the best with money.

mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mosdef_basic

Your credit score is not a personality profile folks. I only indicates if creditors view you as credit worthy or not. Like someone said earlier how are you suppose to get out of debt if you can't get a job because of your credit. Also suppose you were a victim of identity theft? The reason I bring this up now is because the market is full of unemployed people right now alot with damaged credit and some who have degrees, so if it boiled down to the guy that was laid off and fell behind on some bills but has a BS or the guy who lives at home with his parents and graduated highschool recently but is paying for his first car which is his only bill but has a good credit who should get the job?

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpaceMoose

Aw heck yeah

If you can't tend to your own doings then how on Earth can you be expected to do work for someone else?

"Yeah Bob, you can't even pay of a pack of Dentyne on time, lock up the store when you're done"

Sorry, you carry your screw ups through life. No need for the people who can't hack the most basic of adult responsibilities to put an employer at risk

(for the cases like stolen identity all the person should do be able to bring in the paperwork showing what happened)

Jaysonguy
So your solution for people who haven't been able to pay their bills is to not let them earn money with which to do so. Brilliant!
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
Nope. If they get paid, then they have money to pay the damn bills.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Aw heck yeah

SpaceMoose

So your solution for people who haven't been able to pay their bills is to not let them earn money with which to do so. Brilliant!

They can work low level jobs with little to no responsibility.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpaceMoose

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Aw heck yeah

Jaysonguy

So....basically the same thing. Then you will turn around and complain when they are on welfare or whatever because they aren't making enough money, am I right?
mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mosdef_basic

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"] So your solution for people who haven't been able to pay their bills is to not let them earn money with which to do so. Brilliant!SpaceMoose

So....basically the same thing. Then you will turn around and complain when they are on welfare or whatever because they aren't making enough money, am I right?

Exactly!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"] So your solution for people who haven't been able to pay their bills is to not let them earn money with which to do so. Brilliant!SpaceMoose

Since when are low level jobs unemployed?

They work, they get money

You want to give them better jobs?

They screw up and you want to reward them?

I favor personal responsibility. If you don't that's fine

Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts

They should not be able to check that, period.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpaceMoose

Jaysonguy

Since when are low level jobs unemployed?

They work, they get money

You want to give them better jobs?

They screw up and you want to reward them?

I favor personal responsibility. If you don't that's fine

Having a job does not necessarily mean one can pay off their debts. Something tells me you are letting some sort of personal vendetta get in the way of sound reasoning.

Personal responsibility? You don't get a bad credit score from what you do at work. One can get a bad credit score from, for example, getting laid off unexpectedly. How is one supposed to take "personal responsibility" and fix their credit if they can't get a job making enough money to pay off their debt in the first place? Your whole argument makes no sense. You can throw around conservative buzz words all you want. It's still dumb. You act as if the topic is about hiring convicted felons.

-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Makaveli-
Member since 2003 • 10222 Posts

Employers should be able to use whatever factors they want. It is their money they're giving you, after all.

trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Aw heck yeah

SpaceMoose

No, we believe the people that are the most responsible and have the best qualifications for the job should get the job, not someone who just "needs" the job. You act like all businesses do this. For certian jobs, this would be very useful information for getting the right man for the job.

trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trix5817

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

It's called be responsible and don't get into huge amounts of debt in the first place. Pay your bills on time. Simple as that. It's not YOUR job. It's the businesses job. They are giving you the money, and they should be able to hire the best person for the position, not who "needs" it. But yeah, you're right, we should have homeless people be doctors because they "need" the money. Excellent logic!

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts

One more step towards an inevitable revolution, things like this specifically single out less advantageous individuals and secure they have one less chance to make it somewhere. When are all these people at the bottom being shoved further down gonna finally SNAP?

This asinine discrimination will only encourage crime.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
To me it seems private information, like how much you have in your bank account.. A company really should have no business to know of your debts, they are personal. Sure it may warn businesses of possible thefts, but really it crosses the line and I think a persons privacy is far more important than that.. Henry Ford had similar tactics where he literally had a security group go through peoples houses to look for things Ford deemed as contraband.. I consider this just that, just not as extreme.. Least thats just what I think.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="trix5817"]

It's called be responsible and don't get into huge amounts of debt in the first place. Pay your bills on time. Simple as that. It's not YOUR job. It's the businesses job. They are giving you the money, and they should be able to hire the best person for the position, not who "needs" it. But yeah, you're right, we should have homeless people be doctors because they "need" the money. Excellent logic!

Trix you do realize that the average college student is in alot of debt once they get out of college? Even the higher paid things like doctors take years now to pay off debt due to the astronomical prices universities have reached.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Depends on the job. It's a good idea for bank jobs and jobs involving handling cash for security reasons. Also if you're working in finance.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Nope, ppl need money, why discriminate aginst that?
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trix5817

[QUOTE="trix5817"]

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"] So....basically the same thing. Then you will turn around and complain when they are on welfare or whatever because they aren't making enough money, am I right?sSubZerOo

Trix you do realize that the average college student is in alot of debt once they get out of college? Even the higher paid things like doctors take years now to pay off debt due to the astronomical prices universities have reached.

You're credit history has mainly to do with how resposible you are. Thinks like paying you're bills on time, etc, etc. It's why if you've never had credit (and therefore don't have a credit history), people are going to be cautious before giving you a loan. They will see if you're paying off college loans, and this won't matter to them. What they're looking for is irresponsibilty. Again, every single business isn't going to do this. And if you want to work for a company that does, then too bad. It's not YOUR job. It's THEIRS. It's why this shouldn't even be debatable. It's not up to you to decide. No one's forcing you to do anything.

Darth_Tyrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Darth_Tyrev
Member since 2005 • 7072 Posts

Personally I don't care that much since I don't buy things I can't afford.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpaceMoose

No, we believe the people that are the most responsible and have the best qualifications for the job should get the job, not someone who just "needs" the job. You act like all businesses do this. For certian jobs, this would be very useful information for getting the right man for the job.

trix5817

Yeah, I already said it makes sense "for certain jobs," but his stance on the issue is rather ridiculous.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SpaceMoose

trix5817

So do you just deliberately taking everything I say out of context or are you just an idiot? Right, that's what I said: Homeless people should be doctors. Awesome straw man!

His position (not yours necessarily, but you chose to jump into my argument with him) would apparently be that if someone has a medical degree and was an ace surgeon they shouldn't get the job if they have bad credit, which is possibly one of the dumbest positions on anything I've ever heard.

trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 trix5817

[QUOTE="trix5817"]

SpaceMoose

So do you just deliberately taking everything I say out of context or are you just an idiot? Right, that's what I said: Homeless people should be doctors. Awesome straw man!

His position (not yours necessarily, but you chose to jump into my argument with him) would apparently be that if someone has a medical degree and was an ace surgeon they shouldn't get the job if they have bad credit, which is possibly one of the dumbest positions on anything I've ever heard.

It's your logic, not mine. I'm just pointing out how flawed that mentality that people should get jobs because they "need" them. That shouldn't be a factor at all when hiring someone. I'd like to see how long your business would last if you had that mentaility when hiring people.

The title of the thread is "Should be employers be able to use your credit history as a reason not to hire you?". If they shouldn't, then that implies that government must make a law against it, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I thought it was obvious that it isn't necessary or practical for all jobs, but the point is that it is for some, which is why it should be allowed.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Yes.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
Considering some business live and die on a handful of staff, I think it is reasonable for a company to check all facets of a potential employee. Anyone who refuses to consent to that sort of scrutiny is probably not up to the job.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Employers have the right to not hire you for any reason they damn well please.

Its their business.

mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mosdef_basic

Employers should be able to use whatever factors they want. It is their money they're giving you, after all.

-Makaveli-

So if they decide they don't want to hire any women or Latinos or african americans or gay people that's perfectly acceptable right?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 duxup

-Makaveli-

Like genetic testing?

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Just be sure to add a clause so that they pass that infomation onto the state.
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts

[QUOTE="-Makaveli-"]

mosdef_basic

So if they decide they don't want to hire any women or Latinos or african americans or gay people that's perfectly acceptable right?

I believe thats the implication.. Sad..