Riddick movies are very underated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Riddick movies are very underated. Stylish sci fi action movies inspite low budget plus vin diesel as riddick is one the most badass movie chars in movie history easily. Lately impressed with Riddick (2013).I guess they are good timepass movies but i hardly see anyone watching it.

Whats your favourite riddick movie OT ? Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick or Riddick ?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I haven't seen the third one(thanks for reminding me to do so) so my favorite is Pitch Black. Overall, they are sci-fi movies worth a watch especially for those who like a darker feeling. And Vin Diesel is badass, Riddick is easily my favorite role of him in a movie.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Pitch Black is a passable Alien knockoff, and the third movie was also decent but not great. They tried to do more of an epic Star Wars or Dune type of thing with the second one and it didn't really work.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Love the dark atmosphere of Riddick's movies.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

They were never considered huge blockbusters, but the first and third films were both solid movies--although the latest film did feel somewhat like a re-telling of the first movie. Considering that it came during a year that had multiple big-budget box office bombs, it shows that a smaller film such as that can be both entertaining AND turn a profit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No. Pitch Black got the praise it deserves, the second one was garbage and the third one was okay ONLY because I got to see some Katee Sackhoff boobies.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They are entertaining but none of them are anything above average. A movie doesn't need to be extremely well made to be entertaining.

For example I enjoy watching the Transformer's movies because they are very entertaining.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I really liked pitch black, but chronicles was meh. Haven't seem the new one yet

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

@Sword-Demon said:

I really liked pitch black, but chronicles was meh. Haven't seem the new one yet

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Pitch Black was actually a good flick. Chronicles was bad. And Riddick was just boring.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I love all 3 of the Riddick films although Pitch Black is probably my favorite of the 3 followed by Riddick which was a nice return towards the original. The second was decent but much different than the others.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I've enjoyed them all, especially the third. The first 40 minutes of that film are unlike anything most blockbusters would be willing to do.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Pitch Black receives a lot of praise and recognition. Chronicles is a really bad movie. Haven't seen the new one.

Escape From Butcher Bay is the best thing that has been done with the IP. Quite easily.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I liked Pitch Black, wasn't super great but left the Riddick character and franchise with potential, the sequel was horrible, the latest film wasn't great but it was decent and restored potential into the franchise.

TarmacChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TarmacChris
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

Pitch Black is the best by far. 'Riddick' is a decent movie, whilst 'Chronicles' takes the character and makes it far too comic-like for the series.

If I was honest, Johns was actually my favourite character, and the interaction between him and Riddick during Pitch Black was the best part of the series. Having someone with history and who could stand up to Riddick on a one-on-one basis was a more interesting dynamic.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

All good movies... Second one could've been shorter but they are all smart movies and some unique ideas in all of them... Vin is def. more badass than anything else he stars in...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I didn't realize the third one was already out. Anyways I thought the first was good the second was okay (aka fun, but sorta tv special...ish) despite not being very related to the first film. Riddick as a character is, while cool, not much more than your average Vin Diesel character except with night vision.

Again I like the movies so I don't want to seem too down on them, but they don't really rank in my best movies list either.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have the Riddick trilogy set (before the third movie released). They're okay. I found the Necromongers a bit strange though.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Pitch Black was alright. Chronicles of Riddick on the other hand was a steaming turd. Haven't seen the 3rd but I heard it was ok.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Pitch Black was good for what it was, certainly nothing groundbreaking, but a fun sci-fi movie. Chronicles, tried too hard to be something the series isn't designed to be and suffered for it. Not seen Riddick yet, but plan to.

Honestly for me the best things to come out of the Riddick series is Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena, two great games that are worth anyones time.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman said:

Riddick movies are very underated. Stylish sci fi action movies inspite low budget plus vin diesel as riddick is one the most badass movie chars in movie history easily. Lately impressed with Riddick (2013).I guess they are good timepass movies but i hardly see anyone watching it.

Whats your favourite riddick movie OT ? Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick or Riddick ?

I never saw the last one. Honestly, I didn't even know it was out yet, I haven't been keeping up on movies recently. How has that been received, critically and commercially? Was it looked at as fondly as Pitch Black, or was it slammed as heavily as Chronicles?

Anyway, I liked Pitch Black. It was kind of stupid and derivative, and it seemed kind of cheap by movie standards. But I still liked it. The main character was cool, the movie was kind of fun, and it was simple and lean and efficient. Nothing particularly special, but it got the job done and was kind of cool.

Second one wasn't as good. I know that Chronicles gets a lot of hate. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but I do understand the complaints. I have to say that I really appreciate the attempt to expand the universe and introduce sort of a larger mythology. That's ambitious and risky considering the franchise's start as just sort of a simple dumb monster romp. So, A for effort. The problem is that it really was a highly flawed movie. Quite a bit of it was just too stupid (that $hit on the fire planet was ridiculous), and it was overall just too bloated. It was trying too hard to introduce this grand Dune-like mythology, without actually having the substance to back it up. I can still appreciate it on some level and I don't hate it, but they were trying too hard in the wrong areas and not trying hard enough in the right areas. It really is a highly flawed movie. However, it still did catch my interest, so I should probably watch the latest movie at some point in time.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

I never saw the last one. Honestly, I didn't even know it was out yet, I haven't been keeping up on movies recently. How has that been received, critically and commercially? Was it looked at as fondly as Pitch Black, or was it slammed as heavily as Chronicles?

The reviews were mixed. Some people felt it made up for Chronicles, but it had a "Been there, done that" vibe to it. I enjoyed it for what it was--a solid, well made movie, like the original. Commercially, it did decent business--it pulled in $98 mil worldwide on an estimated $38 million budget. It fared better than a lot of the past summer's big budget movies, so that's nothing to sneeze at. The DVD comes out Tuesday, (Both the theatrical and director's cut on the same disc) but you can watch it now digitally with iTunes and other such services.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Love the dark atmosphere of Riddick's movies.

nice atmospheric

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 indzman

@MrGeezer said:

@indzman said:

as @Hallenbeck stated movie ratings were decent and faring well in box office. If you enjoyed Pitch Black definately watch it, jordi molla and katee sackhofee were pleasant surprises.On side note it got nudity also LOL. Movies a good timepass ... imo :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 indzman

@hallenbeck77 said:

@MrGeezer said:

The reviews were mixed. Some people felt it made up for Chronicles, but it had a "Been there, done that" vibe to it. I enjoyed it for what it was--a solid, well made movie, like the original. Commercially, it did decent business--it pulled in $98 mil worldwide on an estimated $38 million budget. It fared better than a lot of the past summer's big budget movies, so that's nothing to sneeze at. The DVD comes out Tuesday, (Both the theatrical and director's cut on the same disc) but you can watch it now digitally with iTunes and other such services.

Don't get me wrong , maybe i enjoy crap movies as well. I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick too lol.