Republicans look to change election rules

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Story

Essentially, a district with 5,000 people would have the save vote as a district with 50,000.

Sad. Come on republicans; you win some, you lose some. No need to take the ball with you when you go home.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Time to get rid of the EC.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 br0kenrabbit

Time to get rid of the EC.DaBrainz

Yup.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

They are worried that this is the only way for them to stay competitive at the national level. It's beginning to look like the electoral college - as is - is systemically unfavorable to the GOP. All things being equal I don't see how the republican party can survive nationally in a minority-majority country without a handicap.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 br0kenrabbit

They are worried that this is the only way for them to stay competitive at the national level. It's beginning to look like the electoral college - as is - is systemically unfavorable to the GOP. All things being equal I don't see how the republican party can survive nationally in a minority-majority country without a handicap.

-Sun_Tzu-

That's not how democracy is done.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Get rid of the electorial college all together. Pass a bill requiring electoral delegates to vote according to the results of the nation wide popular vote.. By pass the entire system.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Get rid of the electorial college all together. Pass a bill requiring electoral delegates to vote according to the results of the nation wide popular vote.. By pass the entire system.

UnknownSniper65

Wish we had Gore win over dubya in 2000

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Sun_Tzu-

UnknownSniper65

We are already 50% of the way there.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

br0kenrabbit

Democracy?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Well, they can't play 4 quarters of football so they're trying to end the game after 3 quarters when they're ahead.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

-Sun_Tzu-

Democracy?

*sigh*

We need a king.

How about me?

:D

:(

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AFBrat77

Well, they can't play 4 quarters of football so they're trying to end the game after 3 quarters when they're ahead. DroidPhysX

haha, I like that statement :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I thought rezoning voting districts was the domain of democrats. You sad republicans.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

Basically gerrymandering taken to the extreme. What is funny, however, is election and voter fraud seems to have always been a part of American life. A Democratic boat took voters up the Mississippi so they could vote in 3 separate locations, basically ensuring Polk's win over Clay in 1844, for example:P

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I still don't get why states are allowed to decide what they do in a federal election.

IF they can legally do this, states just have way too much power, and the constitution needs serious ammending.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

This is a tacit admission that the GOP doesn't see itself winning in 2016. Really sad.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Relevant [quote="Center for Politics"] The congressional district system, if adopted for the entire nation, would give Republicans a major advantage in presidential elections. Thats because Republicans controlled the redistricting process after the 2010 census in far more states than Democrats as a result of the GOPs big gains in the 2010 midterm elections. By drawing congressional districts that favored the GOP, Republican state legislatures and governors gave their party a big edge in the battle for control of the House of Representatives. The result was that in 2012, even though Democratic candidates outpolled Republican candidates by more than a million votes across the nation, Republicans kept control of the House by a margin of 234 seats to 201 seats. The results of GOP gerrymandering were also clearly evident in the presidential election. Across the nation, Obama defeated Mitt Romney by almost four percentage points and close to five million votes. However, based on the results that are currently available we can estimate that Romney carried 228 House districts to only 207 for Obama. So despite Obamas comfortable margin in the national popular vote, a system that awarded one electoral vote for each House district plus two votes for the statewide winner would have resulted in a Romney victory by 276 electoral votes to 262 electoral votes.

So, read that again. Under this proposed plan, Romney would be president right now despite losing the national popular vote by almost 5 MILLION votes and 4% popular vote percentage. Six most likely targets It should be noted, in the interest of fairness, that a very important Republican State senator came out against this in Virginia and it looks like it won't happen there. Link Additionally, Florida also looks like a no-go. Link Now, this is just words at this point and they may change their minds, but in at least those two states it looks like they've done the math that the backlash against this wouldn't be worth it and/or it would never withstand judicial challenge.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts
I remember hearing the other day that Obama won Virginia by 150,000 votes, got all 13 electoral votes, under the new Republican plan to split votes the 2012 results under the proposed rules would have got him 4 electoral votes and Romney 9 electoral votes... so in case you missed that the guy with less votes would get more than double the electoral college votes than the guy who won.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

br0kenrabbit

This. If you can't get elected by the people you should change your message or quit. You don't change the voting rules so all of a sudden you have the advantage.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Relevant [quote="Center for Politics"] The congressional district system, if adopted for the entire nation, would give Republicans a major advantage in presidential elections. Thats because Republicans controlled the redistricting process after the 2010 census in far more states than Democrats as a result of the GOPs big gains in the 2010 midterm elections. By drawing congressional districts that favored the GOP, Republican state legislatures and governors gave their party a big edge in the battle for control of the House of Representatives. The result was that in 2012, even though Democratic candidates outpolled Republican candidates by more than a million votes across the nation, Republicans kept control of the House by a margin of 234 seats to 201 seats. The results of GOP gerrymandering were also clearly evident in the presidential election. Across the nation, Obama defeated Mitt Romney by almost four percentage points and close to five million votes. However, based on the results that are currently available we can estimate that Romney carried 228 House districts to only 207 for Obama. So despite Obamas comfortable margin in the national popular vote, a system that awarded one electoral vote for each House district plus two votes for the statewide winner would have resulted in a Romney victory by 276 electoral votes to 262 electoral votes.

So, read that again. Under this proposed plan, Romney would be president right now despite losing the national popular vote by almost 5 MILLION votes and 4% popular vote percentage. Six most likely targets It should be noted, in the interest of fairness, that a very important Republican State senator came out against this in Virginia and it looks like it won't happen there. Link Additionally, Florida also looks like a no-go. Link Now, this is just words at this point and they may change their minds, but in at least those two states it looks like they've done the math that the backlash against this wouldn't be worth it and/or it would never withstand judicial challenge.

Electoral college system is anitquated. Doesnt make sense in modern times. Should be popular votes only. Each state still has 2 senators to help them keep relevant, but the president should be popular vote only.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.MrPraline
That is true. They don't even have to be pro gay marriage, they just have to say it.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 br0kenrabbit

Now, this is just words at this point and they may change their minds, but in at least those two states it looks like they've done the math that the backlash against this wouldn't be worth it and/or it would never withstand judicial challenge. nocoolnamejim

Whether it passes in any state or not, it just makes clear that the intent of those who support such a measure is not democracy.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

more proof they need ignorant village folk to win votes.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Now, this is just words at this point and they may change their minds, but in at least those two states it looks like they've done the math that the backlash against this wouldn't be worth it and/or it would never withstand judicial challenge. br0kenrabbit

Whether it passes in any state or not, it just makes clear that the intent of those who support such a measure is not democracy.

Obviously not. Just like the voter suppression attempts from last election, the intent of something like this is naked partisanship to try and win by, bluntly, cheating.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nocoolnamejim
If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.MrPraline
And taxes and Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and the CFPB, and the NLRB and affirmative action, and unions, and defense spending and gun control and prayer in schools and....you get the idea. Admittedly I agree on the underlying point that I wish Democrats would stake out positions FURTHER to the left than they presently do and that both parties are a little too corporate controlled, but if the two parties more or less agreed on everything we wouldn't have constant gridlock in the House and Senate.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 br0kenrabbit

Obviously not. Just like the voter suppression attempts from last election, the intent of something like this is naked partisanship to try and win by, bluntly, cheating.nocoolnamejim

Pretty much shenanigans all around. I can't wait for the GOP to cease existing. If a real financially conservative party stepped up and kept their hands out of our bedrooms and off our women they might do just fine. But this bull$hit isn't going to fly.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AFBrat77

This is the conundrum Republicans face, in order to be more electable they are going to need to move further to the left, no question about it.

What was considered Liberal 10 years ago is now moderate and closer in line with what the majority of Americans want at this point.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrPraline
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.nocoolnamejim
And taxes and Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and the CFPB, and the NLRB and affirmative action, and unions, and defense spending and gun control and prayer in schools and....you get the idea. Admittedly I agree on the underlying point that I wish Democrats would stake out positions FURTHER to the left than they presently do and that both parties are a little too corporate controlled, but if the two parties more or less agreed on everything we wouldn't have constant gridlock in the House and Senate.

Hah, you and your nuance. ;}
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="MrPraline"]If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.MrPraline

I've watched you say about a thousand times "both Democrats and Republicans are exactly alike" for months and each time I wondered why nobody had ever taken ten seconds to disagree. I mean, I would have thought SOMEONE on either side of the constant debates here would have been offended by being associated with the other side...but nobody ever said anything. After a while I actually started thinking of it as a little game. I wanted to see how long it would be before someone took ten seconds to throw out a half-assed list like the one above but nobody ever did. Tell me truly...do you have this entire forum Jedi Mind Controlled? :P
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrPraline
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] And taxes and Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and the CFPB, and the NLRB and affirmative action, and unions, and defense spending and gun control and prayer in schools and....you get the idea. Admittedly I agree on the underlying point that I wish Democrats would stake out positions FURTHER to the left than they presently do and that both parties are a little too corporate controlled, but if the two parties more or less agreed on everything we wouldn't have constant gridlock in the House and Senate.

I've watched you say about a thousand times "both Democrats and Republicans are exactly alike" for months and each time I wondered why nobody had ever taken ten seconds to disagree. I mean, I would have thought SOMEONE on either side of the constant debates here would have been offended by being associated with the other side...but nobody ever said anything. After a while I actually started thinking of it as a little game. I wanted to see how long it would be before someone took ten seconds to throw out a half-assed list like the one above but nobody ever did. Tell me truly...do you have this entire forum Jedi Mind Controlled? :P

Haha. Either that or nobody takes me seriously. Will go with the mind control.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

This is a tacit admission that the GOP doesn't see itself winning in 2016. Really sad.

jimkabrhel

I think Chris Christie can win with the current system. It might not even be that close if the Dems nominate a John Kerry/Mitt Romney "robotic politician" type.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

JML897

I think Chris Christie can win with the current system. It might not even be that close if the Dems nominate a John Kerry/Mitt Romney "robotic politician" type.

With the way he has been speaking this year, I don't think Christ Christie passes the GOP purity test, not any more. He might win a decent number of Democratic votes, if the Dem's are dissatisfied with their candidate, but I don't think Christie gets that far.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

With the way he has been speaking this year, I don't think Christ Christie passes the GOP purity test, not any more. He might win a decent number of Democratic votes, if the Dem's are dissatisfied with their candidate, but I don't think Christie gets that far.

Yeah I think the Republican primary is Christie's main obstacle too.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

JML897

Hoping Hillary Clinton runs, its her last shot (age) for an 8 year run.

I did vote for Kerry over dubya, but I like Hillary as the frontrunner.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Sun_Tzu-

Thou doth not simply tell the people of God to calm down on the marriage of sodomites and infanticide.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]If Republicans can't get elected they could always join the Democratic party and run on practically the same policies. Just calm down on gay marriage and abortion a bit.-Sun_Tzu-

Thou doth not simply tell the people of God to calm down on the marriage of sodomites and infanticide.

Sorry :{ On Romneycare then?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Romney couldn't calm down on Romneycare, so IDK.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

American politics: shades of neoliberalism

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
it's 2013, not 1805.. i think we can handle managing a straight popular vote at this point... and can we move election day to the weekend please? there's really no need for it being on a tuesday anymore.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nocoolnamejim
it's 2013, not 1805.. i think we can handle managing a straight popular vote at this point... and can we move election day to the weekend please? there's really no need for it being on a tuesday anymore.comp_atkins
Or simply have "election day" be a two week period that has early voting access to everyone with an abundance of polling places so people don't have to wait in line for hours.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Pathetic.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]it's 2013, not 1805.. i think we can handle managing a straight popular vote at this point... and can we move election day to the weekend please? there's really no need for it being on a tuesday anymore.nocoolnamejim
Or simply have "election day" be a two week period that has early voting access to everyone with an abundance of polling places so people don't have to wait in line for hours.

we don't want logical solutions here..
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#44 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Maybe if they weren't busy alienating every non 50+ white male American in this country, they could win an election.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Isn't it easier to just stop being the party that hates brown/black people, single women and homosexuals? It doesn't even have to be for real, at least not from the get go. Just fake it for a few years and it will come naturally with time.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#46 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The electoral college system is outdated and stupid. And I'm all in favor of having a mixed voting system between the popular vote and the electoral college vote.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#47 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Isn't it easier to just stop being the party that hates brown/black people, single women and homosexuals? It doesn't even have to be for real, at least not from the get go. Just fake it for a few years and it will come naturally with time.

LordQuorthon

The republican party doesn't hate any of those groups....how many republicans do you actually know? Or were you just generalizing?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The electoral college system is outdated and stupid. And I'm all in favor of having a mixed voting system between the popular vote and the electoral college vote.

ShadowMoses900

What exactly do you have in mind?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

haha, so funny to see how transparent the GOP is.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrPraline

ShadowMoses900
Mixed voting system? How would that work?