This topic is locked from further discussion.

coastalbarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 coastalbarley
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
cnn is retarted, arent they the ones who labeled hip hop as 'poision' recently? anyways this year hip hop has some of the biggest up there. Jay z had the second highest release week at 680k, ti did 550k, several artists are pushing platinum like game, nas, jeezy, eminem, snoop dog. And its not only hip hop that has seen a slump in record sales, everywhere has, hip hop is usually top of the billboard charts. make it rain, ballin have been on billboards top 10 for radio spins for a whhhiillle HIip hop is here and alive, and it much better than country, HEAVY HEAVY metal, and emo music. it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics. Plus a beat producers usally play the multiple instruments and record bass lines or piano rips straight ot hte computer. So how is hip hop no music??
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Davidhye
Member since 2005 • 12018 Posts
it is alive and i like it - but i hate Game
thotoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thotoz
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
[QUOTE="coastalbarley"]cnn is retarted, arent they the ones who labeled hip hop as 'poision' recently? anyways this year hip hop has some of the biggest up there. Jay z had the second highest release week at 680k, ti did 550k, several artists are pushing platinum like game, nas, jeezy, eminem, snoop dog. And its not only hip hop that has seen a slump in record sales, everywhere has, hip hop is usually top of the billboard charts. make it rain, ballin have been on billboards top 10 for radio spins for a whhhiillle HIip hop is here and alive, and it much better than country, HEAVY HEAVY metal, and emo music. it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics. Plus a beat producers usally play the multiple instruments and record bass lines or piano rips straight ot hte computer. So how is hip hop no music??

jay-z's new album was good in my eyes t.i. sucks, he's one of the guys making hiphop a joke (ill give you a link if you want where him, black thought from roots, common and big daddy kane rap on the same stage and t.i. sounds horrible on the mic) jeezy, again, makin hiphop bad the game is alright, eminem is wack though he was amazingly good, snoop dogg is snoop dogg he will always be the D O double G, though none of his work has been as good as "Doggystyle" album

There are many artists that keep it real and are good, it's just that they usually aren't on the top of the billboards
patente101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 patente101
Member since 2004 • 2628 Posts
Alright... as long as it doesn't get anywhere near me.
firestorm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 firestorm91
Member since 2006 • 4538 Posts
I only liked Rap/Hip-Hop in the Def Jam games, but that's definately going to change for ICON, customizable soundtracks! :D
coastalbarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coastalbarley
it is alive and i like it - but i hate GameDavidhye
he is one of the nicest young dudes out....i hope your not a unit stan. cause since banks fell off he became better than them all.
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Davidhye
[QUOTE="Davidhye"]it is alive and i like it - but i hate Gamecoastalbarley
he is one of the nicest young dudes out....i hope your not a unit stan. cause since banks fell off he became better than them all.

oh hell no - i hate G-Unit, 50 Cent - that's why i never wear G-unit clothes - even though some of em are really nice - when i remember face of 50 cent - i say no and go to Gap - lol (j/k - the Gap part)
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts
Every single track on the game's album talks about his gang banging, weed, or how great he is.. The way he says things are pretty cool, but I still dont like it overall.  
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
Jay-Z owns 
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Davidhye
Jay-Z owns Def_Jef88
i hate this guy
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]Jay-Z owns Davidhye
i hate this guy

orly?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eWLHQ3S-Oq8
such an awesome song

Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Davidhye
[QUOTE="Davidhye"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]Jay-Z owns Def_Jef88
i hate this guy

orly?
such an awesome song

yea, but i still hate him - can't stand his voice
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="Davidhye"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]Jay-Z owns Davidhye
i hate this guy

orly?
such an awesome song

yea, but i still hate him - can't stand his voice

fine then
Swollen members
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wLBy9hwfFSM
coastalbarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coastalbarley
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]Jay-Z owns Davidhye
i hate this guy

Jay-Z owns Def_Jef88
nas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jay z
Media_geek20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Media_geek20
Member since 2006 • 6491 Posts
But Nas said it wa- ohhhh...that was Hip-Hop...gotchya. ;)
Mercury88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mercury88
Member since 2005 • 5674 Posts
I want to go back to the 90's, that was far better than some of the stuff coming out today.
Avatar image for Denjin_hadouken
Denjin_hadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Denjin_hadouken
Member since 2007 • 5927 Posts
Alright... as long as it doesn't get anywhere near me.patente101
Ditto
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
Wu-Tang Forever, BTW Jigga's new album was wack
zombiemenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zombiemenace
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts

I want to go back to the 90's, that was far better than some of the stuff coming out today.Mercury88

Yeah, 90's was the high point 

readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts
[QUOTE="coastalbarley"] HIip hop is here and alive, and it much better than country, HEAVY HEAVY metal, and emo music. it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics. Plus a beat producers usally play the multiple instruments and record bass lines or piano rips straight ot hte computer. So how is hip hop no music??

Your comment about it being better than different style's of music is ignorant, however, i do like rap myself. I really like Jurassic 5, Kanye west, Beastie Boys, MF Doom, Jay-Z, Outkast, Public Enemy, The Streets, Dizzee Rascal etc.
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts

But Nas said it wa- ohhhh...that was Hip-Hop...gotchya. ;)Media_geek20

Same thing, really. Hip hop is the culture surrounding rap, but rap is the actual name of the genre. Anyway, hip hop isn't really dead, just the mainstream. Everyone sounds the same, ish is commercialized as hell.

makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts
Rap will only continue thru Rapcore, Alternative and Underground Rap, co commercial rap blows. 
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics.coastalbarley
You're right. It makes me wish that most rappers were skilled. I like rap, but a ton of it is terrible.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
Nas is the best, his new album Hip/hop is dead owns
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheBigTicket21
[QUOTE="coastalbarley"]it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics.quiglythegreat
You're right. It makes me wish that most rappers were skilled. I like rap, but a ton of it is terrible.

I don't understand how all the crap on MTV gets played, there are a few good artists thrown in there, but seriously, 90% of these rappers are wack.
Jenuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 Jenuma
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts
Personally, I think CNN should burn, but I hate Hip-Hop. The mere fact that something sells means nothing. Consider, er, "K-Fed". His album sold(not well, but...), but mainly as a gag gift. :?
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="coastalbarley"]it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics.TheBigTicket21

I don't understand how all the crap on MTV gets played, there are a few good artists thrown in there, but seriously, 90% of these rappers are wack.

What's popular in rap is usually atrocious. Same goes for pretty much everything, but rap especially. The music videos are appalling, and that is totally the right word for them.
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheBigTicket21

[QUOTE="TheBigTicket21"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="coastalbarley"]it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics.quiglythegreat

What's popular in rap is usually atrocious. Same goes for pretty much everything, but rap especially. The music videos are appalling, and that is totally the right word for them.

it hurts me to see a great thing kill itself

Dead Prez ftw

familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 familyguy77

[QUOTE="TheBigTicket21"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="coastalbarley"]it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics.quiglythegreat

True. Instead of actual talented rappers like Mos Def, or Common, most of MTV is about snap rap garbage. Damn shame that hip hop has developed into this. It went from being about rough rhymes and witty lyricism to about being a gangsta and bangin hoes.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
HIip hop is here and alive, and it much better than country, HEAVY HEAVY metal, and emo music. it takes alot of skill to have alterartion, rhyming, personfication, and hidden insight in lyrics. Plus a beat producers usally play the multiple instruments and record bass lines or piano rips straight ot hte computer. So how is hip hop no music??coastalbarley

Do you have any justification for these claims?  What would you know about compositional ingenuity, performance difficulty, or writing poetry?  The mere fact that you find these things difficult does nothing to justify the claim that they are difficult in a relative sense by comparison to other forms of Western music (and poetry, for that matter).

Beat production is the "poor man's" form of composition.  When you don't have the musical ability to compose from scratch, you mix samples (it should be mentioned that rap and hip hop are certainly not the only modern genres that resort to a 'lazy' approach to composition).  Not surprisingly, the musical component of rap and hip hop is extremely repetitive and dry. On the rare occasions where I have witnessed hip hop groups performing instrumental accompaniments, the music is absurdly simplistic by comparison to other forms of Western music, and the performance demands are consequently unimpressive.

Now, you are correct about one thing - those who state that rap and hip hop are not music are ignorant fools, who apparently don't understand even a basic definition of music and have no business discussing it.  But to say that hip hop is a better form of music than the forms you list above... well, that won't stand on its own.  If you can't support your argument, don't make it in the first place.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 quiglythegreat

True. Instead of actual talented rappers like Mos Def, or Common, most of MTV is about snap rap garbage. Damn shame that hip hop has developed into this. It went from being about rough rhymes and witty lyricism to about being a gangsta and bangin hoes.

familyguy77
Ok, dude, please don't compare Common to Mos Def. Dante destroys Common. And another thing, it wasn't witty to begin with. It was crude and stupid. It's gotten intellectual, some of it, with age.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 quiglythegreat
Dead Prez ftw

TheBigTicket21

Hell Yeah. Dead Prez is the best at rap out there, ever. Period. Well, ok, let's just say Let's Get Free kills anything else rap ever has or ever will make. Well, I'm saying it. Anyway, Dead Prez ideologically is so wrong it's terrible, however, they have very good justifications for their stances. Very, very damn good ones. Aside from the whole thing in Hell Yeah. That's just kind of retarded. Catchy as hell song though.

familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 familyguy77
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]

quiglythegreat

Ok, dude, please don't compare Common to Mos Def. Dante destroys Common. And another thing, it wasn't witty to begin with. It was crude and stupid. It's gotten intellectual, some of it, with age.

No, not really. When rap was invented it had barely if any swearing at all. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 are widely considered the first rap group of all time and they were socially consicous rappers:| Run DMC weren't crude, and neither was Rakim. Rap didn't incorporate really any crude sexual or violent lyrics until the the 90's when gangsta rap became extremely popular. (Although I like gangdta rap if it's done right, which is rare)

But anyway, rap was about lyrics back in the day, that's what I'm talking about. It was about who had the best rhymes, and sadly, that's not what is popular in rap today. Just listen to half of the songs on MTV, anyone can make rhymes like that.