Question for the guitar players out there

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I recently got a new acoustic guitar that, unlike my previous one, is very nice. I'm trying to keep it in peak condition, but I'm learning a song with a capo and the only capo I own I bought for my electric guitar (it's a spring-loaded Kyser capo). I'm wondering if it's safe to use this capo on my new acoustic, or if I should use it only on my electric? If you don't reccomend using it, is there a capo you do reccomend?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I'm pretty sure capos are safe on any guitar. Don't quote me on that though.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i dont know to much on guitars(more of a drummer myself) but the capo might be specific to either acoustic or electric and it can ruin the guitar.

EDIT:scratch that it's the thing that holds down the strings no no im pretty sure you should be fine

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Most capo's are safe for either. Unless it's really small or tight it will work. I have a Jim Dunlop Capo and I use it for both my Mexican Strat and my Yamaha Dreadnaught.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I'm more of a bass player but two of my roommates play acoustic and electric guitar. They each have one capo that they use on both kinds of guitar so I think you're safe. They both also have fairly nice acoustic guitars and take pretty good care of them so judging by that it should be ok

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Should be fine unless you have to kind of force it to fit on the neck.
Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts

It should be ok to use on any guitar. It would fall under normal wear and tear and the guitar. peak condition is relative.... enjoy playing it and it will always be great. some of the best sounding guitars look like crap...... look at Willie nelson, he still plays an acoustic that has a soundhole and a strum hole.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theone86

Cool, thanks. Most google results said that the only ones that might cause damage are the ones where you screw to tighten, which this is not, but a couple of people were saying to avoid the spring-loaded type. There were some people who admitted to doing some stupid things too, though, like leaving the capo on for days at a time. Kinda reminds me of this one guy I knew that complained his guitar was a piece of crap because the whammy bar was broken, but failed to mention he left it on when he put the guitar in his gig bag.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theone86

It should be ok to use on any guitar. It would fall under normal wear and tear and the guitar. peak condition is relative.... enjoy playing it and it will always be great. some of the best sounding guitars look like crap...... look at Willie nelson, he still plays an acoustic that has a soundhole and a strum hole.

Lorindol

I'm more concerned about warping the neck or something like that, but this capo has rubber padding so it shouldn't leave any visible marks anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

[QUOTE="Lorindol"]

theone86

I'm more concerned about warping the neck or something like that, but this capo has rubber padding so it shouldn't leave any visible marks anyways.

You won't warp the neck. You might warp the the strings if you leave it on 24/7 but other than maybe rubbing off the finish the neck will be fine with just a capo
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Most capo's are safe for either. Unless it's really small or tight it will work. I have a Jim Dunlop Capo and I use it for both my Mexican Strat and my Yamaha Dreadnaught.Nuck81

I have a Dunlop one too. It's pretty soft. Dosen't seem to be bugging my acoustic.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I've been playing for the better part of 16 years and all i can really say is that if your capo destroys your guitar then you probably needed a new guitar. strings are a different story, but the guitar itself should be fine assuming its not built from balsa wood.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I heard from TheHighWind that capos are safe on any guitar.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Totally fine. Those Kyser spring capos are the standard, for any guitar. Non-spring capos suck. Learn how to transpose without a capo. That is all.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

I heard from TheHighWind that capos are safe on any guitar.

Oleg_Huzwog

well thats good